2008 PONTIAC G8 PRODUCTION SPECS FROM GM CANADA

Quick Facts:

-Start of Production – Late 2007

-Dealer Availability – Early 2008

-Models – Base (V6), GT (V8)

-Bodystyle – 5-Passenger Sedan

-Drive Configuration – Rear Wheel Drive

-Construction – Body-Frame Integral, 2-side galvanized, high strength steel

-Powertrains (160,000km / 5-Year Warranty)

– 3.6L/261 hp V6 VVT (LY7) / 5-Speed Automatic (5L40)

– 6.0L/362 hp V8 (L76) / 6-Speed Automatic (6L80)

/ 6-Speed Manual (2009 MY)

-Suspension – 4-Wheel Independent, Multi-link front/rear

-Manufacturing Location – Adelaide, Australia

-Key Competitors – Nissan Maxima, Dodge Charger, Infiniti G35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the vehicle unveiled in Chicago is representative of a production GT, the show car has a few features not found on production G8’s

Unique Show Car Features

-Unique 20-inch “shadow chrome” wheels and performance tires

-A slightly lower suspension ride height

-High-performance brake rotors with painted brake calipers

-Custom interior trim color, including a leather-wrapped dash

-Concept version of the Pontiac “dart”

-Unique Show Car paint

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exterior Features:

-114.8 inch wheelbase

-18/19 inch aluminum wheels

-Fog lamps

-Roof mounted antenna

-True dual exhaust

-Dual chrome outlets (base), Quad chrome outlets (GT)

-Standard Rear Lip Spoiler

-Available low-wing spoiler

-Dual-Port Grilles

-Wheels-at-the-Corners Stance

-Fender Flares over Wheels

-Hood Scoops

-Front Fender Vents

-Projector-Beam Headlamps

-Jewel-Like Tail lamps, red lenses (Base) or clear Lenses (GT)

Interior Features:

-Power-adjustable front seats

-Alloy Pedals (Optional)

-Leather Steering Wheel, Shift Knob (GT)

-Driver oriented instrument cluster

-Electronic driver information center

-Satin and chrome trim accents

-Highly bolstered front seats

-Optional two-tone leather/cloth inserts w/Color Coordinated Cluster (GT only)

-Heated Leather Seats

-Down and forward instrument panel for visibility

-Available 230W/11 speaker stereo, with color display

-XM Satellite Radio

-Available dual-zone HVAC (Standard on GT)

-OnStar w/Turn by Turn directions

Performance Features:

-Near 50/50 front-to-rear weight balance

-Trunk-mounted battery (weight distribution)

-Steering rack mounted ahead of front axle

-Low engine mounts rearward of front chassis cradle

-Vented Front and rear rotors

-Standard StabiliTrak electronic Stability Control

-Twin-piston front calipers

-Four-wheel independent suspension

-Four-link, coil-over-shock rear suspension

-Direct-acting front stabilizer

-Decoupled rear stabilizer

-McPhearson Struts in front

-Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and Full Function Traction control

-Active Fuel Management (GT)

-Limited-Slip differential

-Manual Shift Mode on Automatic Transmission

Safety Features:

-80% high strength steel

-Optimized front and rear deformation zones

-Vented front and rear rotors

-Standard StabiliTrak

-Twin-piston front calipers

-Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control

-Electronic brake assist, and electronic brake force distribution

-Roof Rail Curtain air bags for both seating rows

-Six standard Air Bags; 2 frontal, 2 curtain, 2 side-thorax

-Passenger Sensing Suppression air bag?

-Multiple air bag sensors (2 front, 2 side)

-Safety belt dual pre-tensioners (front)

-Ride-down steering column

-Daytime Running Lamps

-Breakaway pedals

-Standard OnStar w/1-Yr. Safety & Security

Production Interior :

post-57-1170916446_thumb.jpg

Edited by CadillacCTS

I'm glad you can still get the color display, because I'm not liking the radio much without the color display.

Thanks for posting!

Is the color display actually that red thing above all the controls? That would be pretty stupid.

So was the navigation system in the show car just for show? o will we get one as an option in the production version?

I don't mind the loss of the leather dash as long as it's all not hard plastic that's replacing it.

I wish the production car's wheel was as thick as the show car's steering wheel.

Nice to see a GM car (besides the CTS) with an intgrated center stack...looks really good.

I hope we get some other interior color choices (black/cream)

Edited by Dodgefan

So was the navigation system in the show car just for show? o will we get one as an option in the production version?

I don't mind the loss of the leather dash as long as it's all not hard plastic that's replacing it.

I wish the production car's wheel was as thick as the show car's steering wheel.

Nice to see a GM car (besides the CTS) with an intgrated center stack...looks really good.

I hope we get some other interior color choices (black/cream)

yeah or a 2-tone optoin and the nav system better be an option!

Oh well the fake hood scoops stay on both models.

that sucks. i guess that they are trying to keep it sporty. and i hope that the base tails are the ones from the ss. i like those much better than the "clear" ones... but maybe i'll change my mind once i see them in person.

I sure hope they do something about the radio. Something about seeing the preset buttons as "6-5-4-3-2-1" bothers me. Other than that, I'm probably in the minority in saying that I like this layout just fine. Folks, this is an interior befitting a performance car. I can see how the separate display in this interior (and the one in the Astra) would end up being a more driver oriented set up. You can fiddle with the radio and HVAC without having to look down and take your eyes off the road. It's one step below having that info on a HUD. I won't get my undies in a bunch because there's not a NAV unit in this photo. Besides the fact that I prefer the use of (and already own) a portable GPS system to in-dash NAV system, it's already been alluded to that GM has learned from the mistake of not offering the GTO with certain options, a mistake that will be corrected with this car.

No stick till MY 2009. :(

yes, disappointing. Even more disappointing is the confirmation that so much that was shown on the concept model won't be making it to production, as of yet. I guess the more I look at the production interior the more I can deal with the reality that that is it, but the major feeling that those production interior photo gives me is a of a less expensive car. Visually, it isn't as stimulating and as rich, and now I can see the price tag of $25k becoming more and more appropriate. If that inteiror pictured above is representative of a $25-27k G8 V6, and the concept interior is what we get for the G8 GT, priced about $4k more, then hallelujah, GM gets it!!

But a sinking feeling inside of me tells me GM still doesn't get it.

Again, it's disappointing to hear GM say the wheels, paint job, and other stuff are concept only. I do hope they figured out the interior stuff needs to get to production, and I do hope the wheels they do end up offering are as good looking dynamic and original [though I doubt they'll be as original as the cool concept wheels]. The paint job is what I'll most miss, sadly.

Is the color display actually that red thing above all the controls? That would be pretty stupid.

I was thinking the color display is what the concept has, but looking at the pic in high-res, it says NAV on it, so that's not a good sign. The thing above the controls only has red, so that better not be "color."

On Wieck there are pics of a red G8, hopefully that one is at the show, too.

I really can't bring myself to organize a long winded rant, so I'll just post the thoughts running around in my head now:

- The nit-picking and criticism of this car, based on the information we have right now, is unsubstantiated, and I'm officially tired of it.

- Taking a look at Holden's web site should give a pretty good idea about the G8's potential wheel, tire, color, interior, and option packages. If it's offered on the Commodore, nothing's stopping them from offering it on the G8

- Lessons were learned from the GTO. I would expect those lessons to be evident in this car

- Those who have seen the Commodore in the flesh (two that I know of) are saying this car definitely looks the part of a muscular, athletic sports sedan

the color display with the 230w/11s audio is the same screen that would function as the NAV. the Red screen above is like an extra driver info screen, when the high-end sound or navigation system is picked.

the interior above is most def the "base" model, the "concept" is pretty close to the GT dash.

Edited by jbartley

okay... heres the way i see it, to all who are picking all the little stuff wrong with this car...

i lovee this car... i think it looks awesome... i love every angle, i love the grille, i love the hood... all of it

the only tiny problem i have is the taillights, but no biggie...

when you think of the problems with this car, just think of GM a few years ago... because we would not be getting anything like this... we'd have more mundane, boring cookie cutter cars that dont build excitement at all.

dont think of what this car doesnt have... think what it does have!

Are we sure this isn't photoshopped? It seems as though the logo on the steering wheel has a smudge on the top right side and center console was left alone while the upper dash and the rest of gauges were horizontally flipped and then corrected.

Things that made me suspicious: (I've circled and numbered the areas that I noticed)

1) The numbered buttons on the radio are in reverse order from 6 - 1. Either the artist forgot to add that if this is a fake or Blaupunkt, the supplier of that radio didn't bother switching it over for LHD usage.

2) The CD slot with the eject and load buttons is in reverse from the one we saw in the concept.

3) Not only does the logo look photoshopped on the steering wheel, GM stated that this is not the new logo for the brand but more of a design study.

Finally

4) The area where the center console meets the rest of the dash looks smudged.

Posted Image

Compare to the other photos in the thread if you need to see for yourself.

Are we sure this isn't photoshopped? It seems as though the logo on the steering wheel has a smudge on the top right side and center console was left alone while the upper dash and the rest of gauges were horizontally flipped and then corrected.

Things that made me suspicious: (I've circled and numbered the areas that I noticed)

1) The numbered buttons on the radio are in reverse order from 6 - 1. Either the artist forgot to add that if this is a fake or Blaupunkt, the supplier of that radio didn't bother switching it over for LHD usage.

2) The CD slot with the eject and load buttons is in reverse from the one we saw in the concept.

3) Not only does the logo look photoshopped on the steering wheel, GM stated that this is not the new logo for the brand but more of a design study.

Finally

I've had my suspicions. Like I said before, something was off about this pic and you did a good job analyzing it.

GM photoshops their own photos ALOT . Look in any dealer brochure . Hell , they were still in the 2001 and 2002 Camaro brochures , they were photoshopping pics from the 93 brochure and various other years . In some pics it VERY obvious . This pic is most likely a photoshop from GM of the Concepts interior made to look like the base model .

I've had my suspicions. Like I said before, something was off about this pic and you did a good job analyzing it.

Maybe someone on the board will go to the Chicago Auto Show and takes pics of the car and it's interior and post them...

Finally

Posted Image

Production G8 pic? Are we switching to KPH only?

I realize Canada uses KPH, but I would imagine even Canada bound G8s will have KPH and MPH on their speedos

yeah or a 2-tone optoin and the nav system better be an option!

that sucks. i guess that they are trying to keep it sporty. and i hope that the base tails are the ones from the ss. i like those much better than the "clear" ones... but maybe i'll change my mind once i see them in person.

I like it, still!

Edmunds has a video about the G8 which features a red G8 going around a track and a black/red two-toned interior. Perhaps they got their hands on a potential production line model? Watch the video on their site and see what you think. Have to say that car looks really good in motion.

Click Here

Edited by big blue

It's also a little weird that this doesn't have Pontiac's superficial 'driver oriented' stack. The G8's is neutral and faces straight.

I dunno why, but I find Pontiac's interiors almost sado-masochistic. It's like the passenger has to ASK the driver to turn down their vent's temperature; and as punishment, the driver will instead turn it up full blast and the passenger gets blistering heat from like 20 vents facing them.

God, I love this G8.

I would say look at the shifter though especially it def looks chopped

Production G8 pic? Are we switching to KPH only?

I realize Canada uses KPH, but I would imagine even Canada bound G8s will have KPH and MPH on their speedos

It's probably the new electronic ones. My car has a unit-less speedo, which I can program via the DIC to be in KM/H or MPH. So theoretically it goes up to 240MPH.

I'm pretty sure the G8 is the same thing.

Finally

Posted Image

Then it was a GM photoshop because it came right out of a Pontiac G8 Powerpoint presentation that is available to dealers on the GMInfoNet website.

Wow if that's the production interior I'm a little disappointed. The gauges lost all their color...infact the pic looks like it was converted to monochrome except for anything that was red before stayed.

Hopefully they will have more interior color choices and/or two-tones...I truly hate gray interiors..

It's also a little weird that this doesn't have Pontiac's superficial 'driver oriented' stack. The G8's is neutral and faces straight.

I dunno why, but I find Pontiac's interiors almost sado-masochistic. It's like the passenger has to ASK the driver to turn down their vent's temperature; and as punishment, the driver will instead turn it up full blast and the passenger gets blistering heat from like 20 vents facing them.

God, I love this G8.

I like driver oriented dashes... that was a strong BMW design cue for decades before the recent Bangled models and one detail I've always liked about BMWs.

Edited by moltar

Looks like a standard SS Commodore interior to me...

From what I can gather, the G8's model specs will closely imitate the Commodore SS/ SS-V. As others have stated here, the options available to the cars provided by Holden should appear on the the G8.

Just some other bits I can think of (some related, others not)....

*The show cars wheels and brakes are both HSV GTS items and can be purchased. I wouldn't be surprised if they were an optional extra. Otherwise, http://www.jhp.com.au will be able to offer them to Pontiac owners. The Magneride system come as a option too.

*The VE series was designed with sedan, wagon, coupe & ute variants in mind. So what does it mean for you guys? It means the ute may well come there as the El Camino, and the GTO will return (that has been planned for some time now, its just down to the business case). I'd like to see the sedan and wagon turn up as a Chevrolet Lumina too.

*The VE series will be built in North America at some point - I wouldn't be surprised if Oshawa was the plant used. Elizabeth can only handle so much production and is near capacity now, plus the cost benefits of making the car in North America are simple too hard to ignore.

I love driver-oriented instrument panels. I hate it when some dweeb changes the settings in my car without my permission while I am driving. Perhaps when you are old enough to drive a car of your own, you appreciate driver-oriented controls as well.

*The show cars wheels and brakes are both HSV GTS items and can be purchased. I wouldn't be surprised if they were an optional extra. Otherwise, http://www.jhp.com.au will be able to offer them to Pontiac owners. The Magneride system come as a option too.

I hadn't heard about Magnaride on the Commodore, and they don't mention it in the G8 press release. They've been slow to offer it in the US and usually combine it in with other expensive options on Cadillacs. They'll wait for me to buy one without it, before it percolates down to an affordable model.

I hadn't heard about Magnaride on the Commodore, and they don't mention it in the G8 press release. They've been slow to offer it in the US and usually combine it in with other expensive options on Cadillacs. They'll wait for me to buy one without it, before it percolates down to an affordable model.

Its currently available on the HSV GTS and HSV Senator, so i'm guessing they may appear at some point. Still, the G8 is going to be an awesome handling car as it is, providing the suspension settings are played with too much for the US market, the Magneride only enhances the experience.

Its currently available on the HSV GTS and HSV Senator, so i'm guessing they may appear at some point. Still, the G8 is going to be an awesome handling car as it is, providing the suspension settings are played with too much for the US market, the Magneride only enhances the experience.

I assume you meant "aren't played with", otherwise the Aussies will stomp on you.

I'm more interested in a cushy ride without sloppiness. The hard ride on my Intrigue has worn me out.