Flybrian

You Have Much to Live for, Robot!

50 posts in this topic

Flybrian    0

GM urged to pull suicidal robot ad
Eric Morath | Link to Original Article @ Detroit News

Posted Image

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention isn't amused by General Motors Corp.'s Super Bowl ad depicting a despondent robot leaping off a bridge in a dream sequence, and demanded Wednesday that the automaker pull it off the air.

Calling the ad insensitive, the organization also wants GM to remove it from its Web site.

The "ad is insensitive to the tens of millions of people who have lost loved ones to suicide," said Robert Gebbia, executive director of the foundation. "The ad also suggests a troubling and potentially dangerous message that suicide is a logical and rational decision should one experience failure or lose their job."

GM officials said they won't pull or change the ad. It's "a story of GM's commitment to quality It is not intended to offend anyone," spokeswoman Ryndee Carney said.

The commercial opens with a cute, yellow robot dropping a bolt to a factory floor. Because of his mistake, the robot is fired and left to seek service jobs such as a speaker at a fast-food drive-in. In despair, the robot jumps off a bridge, but then wakes up and realizes it's a dream as an announcer says, "Everyone at GM is obsessed with quality."

On Wednesday, the robot and a video of the ad were prominently displayed atop GM's Web site, www.gm.com.

This week, Snickers pulled its Super Bowl ad after groups called it homophobic. The fact that the robot had to leave a good GM job to take lesser work also is in poor taste as GM and other domestic automakers are drastically cutting work force, said Dave Regan, a Michigan State University advertising instructor.

"When you saw those visuals, you had to question the people on the team," Regan said.

"It was not light-hearted and most people watch Super Bowl commercials to be entertained."

VenSeattle    8

I love the commercial. Sorry... I guess I'm insensitive. I've had severance packages (not as good as GM's employees receive), and I never thought about suicide. People just don't like to be reminded they live in their own false reality.

AAS    13

Sure the add is a little serious and heavy... until you realize it's all a dream! Then it's funny as hell!

And come on... it's a robot. Robots can't commit suicide!

Edited by AAS

Good... it's the slippery slope. I'm glad GM is instead telling them to screw.

First it was the C6 Vette Jumpin' Jack Flash ad, now this.

It's a freekin' ROBOT! take your damn balls out of your wife's purse!

Dragon    0

There is, GLAAD is pissed at the snickers commercial. ya know what, if they pulled every commercial that offended anybody, there wouldn't be anything on tv

Intrepidation    846

1.) The robot is an inanimate object.

2.) It didn't actually kill itself, it was just a dream

3.) IT'S A ROBOT MORONS!

We live in such a paranoid and stupid society. First idiots mistaking pixel charcters flipping people off for bombs (do you think terrorists would even have a sense of humor?), the gay people bitching about the Caliber ads, snickers and now this. Lighten up dammit!

And finally...IT'S FREEDOM OF F*CKING SPEECH MOTHER F*CKERS!! GO F*CK YOURSELVES WITH A F*CKING SPORK!!

dfelt    1,772
:lol: That was funny as HELL! I loved the commercial and for all those out there, get a reality grip. This was well done and I am glad to see GM stand up to BS like this. :D

caddycruiser    50

The true sign of how good (or at least impactful) this commercial is IS the fact that people now want it to be banned.

Sorry, but it's just a well made piece and both makes a point and is funny in the end, so get a life and a proper thought process and go sit in your dark closet if it offends you :thumbsup:

If we get rid of every FREAKING thing that offends someone, there will be nothing left in this world.

Yes, we'd all be shiny, happy people driving Priuses..the sky would always be blue..every day would be sunny and warm.. no crime..no traffic jams.. :)

cletus8269    69

Sure the add is a little serious and heavy... until you realize it's all a dream! Then it's funny as hell!

And come on... it's a robot. Robots can't commit suicide!

yes they can... magnet to the hard drive.

i bet toyota is behind this because it is a portrayal of their robots. Hmmm...

big blue    1

Wait wait, people want one of the few entertaining SB ads pulled because we invaded a robot's privacy and saw its inner-thoughts? I agree absolutely! How can we disrespect an inanimate object's rights like that...

Seriously folks it's a robot. Instead of complaining about a robot's private thoughts, why don't we do something more productive like..recycle? Or turn the light off when you leave a room.

-Big Blue

Edited by big blue

AAS    13

yes they can... magnet to the hard drive.

i bet toyota is behind this because it is a portrayal of their robots. Hmmm...

I'd argue that a magnet to the hard drive is more like "robot amnesia." Now... cutting the power cord? That's suicide!

FAPTurbo    1,078

Yes, we'd all be shiny, happy people driving Priuses..the sky would always be blue..every day would be sunny and warm.. no crime..no traffic jams.. :)

They play that song every day at work... and after it comes Don Henley's 'Boys of Summer'

I think I'm going to snap.

axoid    0

GM officials said they won't pull or change the ad. It's "a story of GM's commitment to quality It is not intended to offend anyone," spokeswoman Ryndee Carney said.

It's about time some one stood up to these pansy goody-goody groups. GM should have done that with the "kids drive vettes" commercial.

Northstar    11

I'm glad GM is standing behind it. They should have stood behind the Boy's Dream Corvette ad that got pulled too.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention has better things to do than worry about a Robot having a bad dream.

ketch    0

''Yes, we'd all be shiny, happy people driving Priuses..the sky would always be blue [Vegas, check]..every day would be sunny [check] and warm[check].. no crime.[oh well] .no traffic jams.. [ditto]

MOX    0

I lost my brother to suicide 6 years ago and all I have to say is.. IT'S A FREAKING COMMERCIAL PEOPLE!!!! Lighten up! Somebody always want's something to bitch about!

AxelTheRed    0

*groan*

This country has gotten so soft and so politically correct. God, everyone else in the world thinks we're all war mongers, but when you're living in America its like we're all a bunch of pussies.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.