FIRST LOOK: 2008 Buick LaCrosse

Flybrian

The picture I found was right. :)

That grille helps the front end a lot. The interior looks the same with a Lucerne steering wheel. The got rid of the steering wheel with the climate controls. bummer....

Now I see why Lucerne and LaCrosse are competing against each other. This is why one needs to go rear drive and the other stays front wheel drive. There needs to be some distance created in the length and width and interior room too.

Not a bad effort.

Interior still sucks and its what needed the most work.

I like the grill....but the headlamps are weak and the side view still screams last generation Taurus, and not in a good way.

The 3.6 should be made standard across the board, along with 17" wheels. The interior is OK, but they needed to make this vehicle appear more aspirational and I don't think the grill alone does it.

Buick dealers must be praying for the Enclave to hit the lots ASAP.

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights? It's not like a new grill and a "Super" model are going boost sales enough to justify this very minor refresh anyways. Why not atleast make an effort if you're going to do anything at all? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights? It's not like a new grill and a "Super" model are going boost sales enough to justify this very minor refresh anyways. Why not atleast make an effort if you're going to do anything at all? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Changing headlights would probably have blown their budget, I presume... since the W only has a couple years left, they probably couldn't justify the investment...

Changing headlights would probably have blown their budget, I presume... since the W only has a couple years left, they probably couldn't justify the investment...

The fenders would have had to be changed too. As I said in the other thread, I don't mind the revised front in the lighter colors. But, it's a bold grille on a softly styled car. The whole thing ends up looking nose heavy, which is the last thing needed on a W-body.

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for stacking the images. Talk about how a minor adjustment can make a world of difference. I think I have about TEN posts, at least, to my name saying that the grille needed to taper back in or be sloped to get it away from that 2000 Le Sabre vernacular that was way too frumpy. Well, they made such a change. And it looks way better.

I agree that they could have changed the lamp combo into a more striking and contemporary design; however, they probably didn't want to fuss with the hood and the front fender much, leaving us the little bump for the inboard Jagauresque lamps on top of the hood and the tear-drop shape at this side of the fender. Oh well, what they did is a marked improvement, though they could have inched a little farther along.

Yep, the interior is still kind of eh. I don't like the austere clustering of the dash. Now, I don't expect all the dashboard panache of the GP (which I had last week on vacation), but something a little more exciting with more sculpted volumes might have worked.

I would probably be kicking myself had I purchased a 2005-2007 LaCrosse! :banghead:

Edited by trinacriabob

The fenders would have had to be changed too. As I said in the other thread, I don't mind the revised front in the lighter colors. But, it's a bold grille on a softly styled car. The whole thing ends up looking nose heavy, which is the last thing needed on a W-body.

I like what you have to say. One thing that could have softened it is not using such pronounced vertical bars; instead, they could have been thinner. The other thing with designing any object is that small dimensional differences make for a world of difference in final appearance. The previous grille was vertically too wimpy. On the current one, they could have made it a tad less tall and it might give the more "correct" appearance you might be referring to.

Guest YellowJacket894
Ugggh ... the new grille just makes me hate the headlights that much more. Looks like a mutant alien fish from an episode of the X-Files.

Better, although the photography is crap, and the interior still sucks ass...didn't it used to have a nicer looking steering wheel?

You may not like the styling (styling is subjective... I believe you've said that several times yourself), but the interior materials used in the LaCrosse are of a higher quality compared to most vehicles in its segment... that includes other W-bodies and chrysler's new Sebring/Avenger.

For Example -

1) You've attempted to knock the door panels in another topic, but the panels are not actually shiny in person, nor are they hard. The door panels are thick and soft to the touch.

2) Headliner is woven fabric, not rat fur

3) Wood grain appearance was dramatically improved in 2007. The darker tone in the Super improves the look even more.

4) Leather seats have always been supple and look nice. Now GM has improved their bolstering.

5) Super gains 300hp and Magnetic Ride Control. I'm looking forward to driving test reviews by magazines.

6) The list of standard features at the CX price level, including the 200hp 3.8l V6, is very impressive. Not to mention Buick's Warranty which matches luxury brands.

The changes won't make much of a difference in sales, but I doubt anyone will regret owning one. I bet most will be pleasantly surprised.

You may not like the styling (styling is subjective... I believe you've said that several times yourself), but the interior materials used in the LaCrosse are of a higher quality compared to most vehicles in its segment... that includes other W-bodies and chrysler's new Sebring/Avenger.

For Example -

1) You've attempted to knock the door panels in another topic, but the panels are not actually shiny in person, nor are they hard. The door panels are thick and soft to the touch.

3) Wood grain appearance was dramatically improved in 2007. The darker tone in the Super improves the look even more.

4) Leather seats have always been supple and look nice. Now GM has improved their bolstering.

5) Super gains 300hp and Magnetic Ride Control. I'm looking forward to driving test reviews by magazines.

6) The list of standard features at the CX price level, including the 200hp 3.8l V6, is very impressive. Not to mention Buick's Warranty which matches luxury brands.

The changes won't make much of a difference in sales, but I doubt anyone will regret owning one. I bet most will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm not "attempting" anything. I'm aware that unlike the Lucerne, the interior has a fair amount of soft-touch materials...that doesn't change the fact that

1.) in that picture, they looked glossy and cheap

2.) The design is bland

3.) the "new" steering wheel is (at least IMO) a step down from the original.

4.) the center stack isn't very attractive and looks pretty dated

5.) Uses faux wood (unless that's changed)

6.) Has no NAV system (as far as I know)

7.) Th powertrain enhancements help but it's still on an old platform, there's only so much you can do...the Aura is a much more compitent car I think...although if cushy ride is your thing then the LaCrosse is for you

8.) All of the improvements the car has now is what it should have had from the beginning

For Example -

Heh.. and I still say the LaCrosse has better interior plastics than the Lucerne.

Heh.. and I still say the LaCrosse has better interior plastics than the Lucerne.

Aside from the Lucerne's lower dash plastic, the interior materials are equal or superior to the LaCrosse's. We'll see how the revised 2008 is. It's possible the lower dash materials were improved along with the leather-covered upper dash.

Why don't you explain it yourself? Beside the Lucerne's lower dash, what else are you referring to in order to justify the comment?

Fake wood. There's no excuse for it in an luxury car. You can get real wood in a 300C or a MKZ...both on more modern platforms btw...both with NAV systems too...

Although at least you cab get a Nav system on the Lucerne.

Why don't you explain it yourself? Beside the Lucerne's lower dash, what else are you referring to in order to justify the comment?

It's not just the lower dash. The only soft touch plastics on the Lucerne's dash are above the plood, above the gauges; the very top of the dash. That's only a quarter of the dashboard. The other three quarters are hard, cheap plastic. That, itself, is enough, as all of the LaCrosse's dash plastics are soft touch (other than the plood and controlls, which aren't soft touch in any car). Otherwise, the leather is of the same quality as the Lucerne, the plastics surrounding controls (radio, climate, etc) are of the same quality as the Lucerne, the door panels are of the same quality as the Lucerne, the headliner is of the same quality as the Lucerne, etc. Material wise, there is nothing in the Lucerne to say it's interiors has better interior plastics considering a huge amount of its dash is hard plastic. The design? It's a hundred times better than the LaCrosse's. The feel of the controls? Again, much better than the LaCrosse's. Those are not interior materials, however, so for me to say the LaCrosse has better interior plastics is completely justified. Edited by blackviper8891

I don't remember being impressed at all with the LaCrosse interior, though it's been over a year since I've sat in one. If I remember correctly, the materials, while mostly soft-touch, felt cheap anyways. It was like the soft-touch stuff in the CSVs. Sure, it's soft-touch, but it doesn't feel good anyways. I was much more impressed with the Lucerne's interior despite the lower dash being hard (they should have just used the DTS's lower dash).

Pot is for loosers...plus if I had some I'd say that the W-body is newer than the LX or Mazda6 platform..which it's not. So it's ok for a luxury car to have cheap plastic look-alike (although not really) wood?

Lots of "wood" is fake. I'd say about half of luxury cars have fake wood. The Escalade, for example, has fake wood, but I can't tell it's fake.

The LaCrosse also starts at like $22k or something, I hardly call that a "luxury car" pricewise.

Lots of "wood" is fake. I'd say about half of luxury cars have fake wood. The Escalade, for example, has fake wood, but I can't tell it's fake.

The LaCrosse also starts at like $22k or something, I hardly call that a "luxury car" pricewise.

Audi has real wood, so does BMW, Lexus (even the ES this year), some Lincolns and the 300C do. I don't like the fact that the Escalade has fake wood. As for the LaCrosse, the lower base price is I guess good reasoning..I forgot it started that low...the interior materials are better than the Lucerne's so I guess it's nice that the money went there...still, this (besides the ugly steering wheel) is what the car should have been from the beginning.

It's not just the lower dash. The only soft touch plastics on the Lucerne's dash are above the plood, above the gauges; the very top of the dash. That's only a quarter of the dashboard. The other three quarters are hard, cheap plastic. That, itself, is enough, as all of the LaCrosse's dash plastics are soft touch (other than the plood and controlls, which aren't soft touch in any car). Otherwise, the leather is of the same quality as the Lucerne, the plastics surrounding controls (radio, climate, etc) are of the same quality as the Lucerne, the door panels are of the same quality as the Lucerne, the headliner is of the same quality as the Lucerne, etc. Material wise, there is nothing in the Lucerne to say it's interiors has better interior plastics considering a huge amount of its dash is hard plastic. The design? It's a hundred times better than the LaCrosse's. The feel of the controls? Again, much better than the LaCrosse's. Those are not interior materials, however, so for me to say the LaCrosse has better interior plastics is completely justified.

So you proved my point. You're only bitching about the Lucerne's Lower Dash (The wood grain-style interior trim separates the two... regardless of semantics, it's the upper dash (above the wood) and lower dash (below the wood.) You didn't have anything else to justify criticizing the entire interior of the Lucerne having lower quality plastics than LaCrosse.

Fake wood. There's no excuse for it in an luxury car. You can get real wood in a 300C or a MKZ...both on more modern platforms btw...both with NAV systems too...

Although at least you cab get a Nav system on the Lucerne.

BV's comment was comparing the LaCrosse to the Lucerne. Reread the posts before replying.

BV's comment was comparing the LaCrosse to the Lucerne. Reread the posts before replying.

I did, I was making a comment in references to cheap bits of the interior, I'm well aware that the post was directed at him. Free country however (for now), so I can add to it if I want, even if the questions not directed at me.

Although I it kind of random I admit...

Edited by Dodgefan

I did, I was making a comment in references to cheap bits of the interior, I'm well aware that the post was directed at him. Free country however (for now), so I can add to it if I want, even if the questions not directed at me.

Oh, I thought you already did that in post 19 & 26... and now in post 31 & 37. Do you have anything else to add or are you going to continue repeating yourself in every Buick topic multiple times?

Oh, I thought you already did that in post 19 & 26... and now in post 31 & 37. Do you have anything else to add or are you going to continue repeating yourself in every Buick topic multiple times?

Maybe if every Buick didn't have the same shortcomings I wouldn't need to post it in every Buick topic. By the way...3 or 4 topics is not every Buick topic. If you notice, I don't post these complaints for the Enclave...because it's a good product with no major shortcomings.

Audi has real wood, so does BMW, Lexus (even the ES this year), some Lincolns and the 300C do. I don't like the fact that the Escalade has fake wood. As for the LaCrosse, the lower base price is I guess good reasoning..I forgot it started that low...the interior materials are better than the Lucerne's so I guess it's nice that the money went there...still, this (besides the ugly steering wheel) is what the car should have been from the beginning.

Hell, my Millenia has real wood. :P

So you proved my point. You're only bitching about the Lucerne's Lower Dash (The wood grain-style interior trim separates the two... regardless of semantics, it's the upper dash (above the wood) and lower dash (below the wood.) You didn't have anything else to justify criticizing the entire interior of the Lucerne having lower quality plastics than LaCrosse.

Hah... Well, I can't just disregard 3/4 of the dash being hard plastic. Hard plastic is hard plastic and the Lucerne has alot more of it than the LaCrosse. Which, was sort of my point. Soft > Hard unless we're talking about sex. A duh. :D

Maybe if every Buick didn't have the same shortcomings I wouldn't need to post it in every Buick topic. By the way...3 or 4 topics is not every Buick topic. you notice, I don't post these complaints for the Enclave...because it's a good product with no major shortcomings.

Are you sure? Have you sat in any of the 2008 Buick models and inspected them?

Hah... Well, I can't just disregard 3/4 of the dash being hard plastic. Hard plastic is hard plastic and the Lucerne has alot more of it than the LaCrosse. Which, was sort of my point. Soft > Hard unless we're talking about sex. A duh. :D

I can agree with that. :)

I find it quite interesting that a new grille and slightly different interior color make such a splash as anything new or revamped. Years ago most every car got a new grille, tail lights, trim, colors and interior tweaks on a YEARLY basis. Now we must wait until the product is at the end of it's cycle to get a different grille and this is supposed to be significant. Also Buick didn't go far enough with this car. The tail lights would have benefitted from a horizontal design from Buicks archives, the 21/31 mpg 3500 with 224 HP should be the std engine with quiet tuning instead of the old 200 HP 3800. The 3.6 desperately needed the upgrades the Aura/G6 version got with 12 more HP and more importantly 26 extra torque. And those 90's headlights should NEVER have been allowed in the first place, let alone on a 2008 car.

Grill looks a hell of a lot better. Still could use a few more gears on the tranny.

Actually looked at LaCrosse's for a company car today. Interior materials were better than I had thought, not a whole lot of plastic. Handled surprisingly better than my '91 5er...but I guess that's not saying much since Black Betty is pushing 17. Steering could have more weight to it.

My major nitpick - and even though this would essentially be a company car - was the inconsistent build quality (which did NOT improve my negative views on the UAW). On one model, while sitting in the driver's seat, I could reach around the center console and get my whole hand under it and 'pet' the insulation. On another model, carpet was loose from the door sill in about a 4-inch area. Seriously, good luck at the contract negotiation fellas...you're really earning that $65/hr.

So basically build quality - along with some more dialed-in steering and extra gears - is what I would've sought to improve (along with the better grill seen here). Otherwise, most of my assumptions were incorrect about the car, as its very livable...

Looking forward to more adventurous styling and better buiild quality in the next generation...

I think the grille looks odd and the whole car looks odd. I hope the EpII model comes soon.

On another note, I have to say I do like the interior! I tend to like more elaborate stuff, but I really, really like the simple design of the LaCrosse's interior.

Edited by ZL-1