FIRST LOOK: 2008 Buick LaCrosse

Flybrian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The picture I found was right. :)

That grille helps the front end a lot. The interior looks the same with a Lucerne steering wheel. The got rid of the steering wheel with the climate controls. bummer....

Now I see why Lucerne and LaCrosse are competing against each other. This is why one needs to go rear drive and the other stays front wheel drive. There needs to be some distance created in the length and width and interior room too.

Not a bad effort.

Interior still sucks and its what needed the most work.

I like the grill....but the headlamps are weak and the side view still screams last generation Taurus, and not in a good way.

The 3.6 should be made standard across the board, along with 17" wheels. The interior is OK, but they needed to make this vehicle appear more aspirational and I don't think the grill alone does it.

Buick dealers must be praying for the Enclave to hit the lots ASAP.

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights? It's not like a new grill and a "Super" model are going boost sales enough to justify this very minor refresh anyways. Why not atleast make an effort if you're going to do anything at all? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights? It's not like a new grill and a "Super" model are going boost sales enough to justify this very minor refresh anyways. Why not atleast make an effort if you're going to do anything at all? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Changing headlights would probably have blown their budget, I presume... since the W only has a couple years left, they probably couldn't justify the investment...

Changing headlights would probably have blown their budget, I presume... since the W only has a couple years left, they probably couldn't justify the investment...

The fenders would have had to be changed too. As I said in the other thread, I don't mind the revised front in the lighter colors. But, it's a bold grille on a softly styled car. The whole thing ends up looking nose heavy, which is the last thing needed on a W-body.

Hmm... Looks better, but as I said, not much better. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have changed the headlights. It's clear that they changed the hood for the new grill, so why not just complete the look with new headlights?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for stacking the images. Talk about how a minor adjustment can make a world of difference. I think I have about TEN posts, at least, to my name saying that the grille needed to taper back in or be sloped to get it away from that 2000 Le Sabre vernacular that was way too frumpy. Well, they made such a change. And it looks way better.

I agree that they could have changed the lamp combo into a more striking and contemporary design; however, they probably didn't want to fuss with the hood and the front fender much, leaving us the little bump for the inboard Jagauresque lamps on top of the hood and the tear-drop shape at this side of the fender. Oh well, what they did is a marked improvement, though they could have inched a little farther along.

Yep, the interior is still kind of eh. I don't like the austere clustering of the dash. Now, I don't expect all the dashboard panache of the GP (which I had last week on vacation), but something a little more exciting with more sculpted volumes might have worked.

I would probably be kicking myself had I purchased a 2005-2007 LaCrosse! :banghead:

Edited by trinacriabob

The fenders would have had to be changed too. As I said in the other thread, I don't mind the revised front in the lighter colors. But, it's a bold grille on a softly styled car. The whole thing ends up looking nose heavy, which is the last thing needed on a W-body.

I like what you have to say. One thing that could have softened it is not using such pronounced vertical bars; instead, they could have been thinner. The other thing with designing any object is that small dimensional differences make for a world of difference in final appearance. The previous grille was vertically too wimpy. On the current one, they could have made it a tad less tall and it might give the more "correct" appearance you might be referring to.

Guest YellowJacket894
Ugggh ... the new grille just makes me hate the headlights that much more. Looks like a mutant alien fish from an episode of the X-Files.

Better, although the photography is crap, and the interior still sucks ass...didn't it used to have a nicer looking steering wheel?

You may not like the styling (styling is subjective... I believe you've said that several times yourself), but the interior materials used in the LaCrosse are of a higher quality compared to most vehicles in its segment... that includes other W-bodies and chrysler's new Sebring/Avenger.

For Example -

1) You've attempted to knock the door panels in another topic, but the panels are not actually shiny in person, nor are they hard. The door panels are thick and soft to the touch.

2) Headliner is woven fabric, not rat fur

3) Wood grain appearance was dramatically improved in 2007. The darker tone in the Super improves the look even more.

4) Leather seats have always been supple and look nice. Now GM has improved their bolstering.

5) Super gains 300hp and Magnetic Ride Control. I'm looking forward to driving test reviews by magazines.

6) The list of standard features at the CX price level, including the 200hp 3.8l V6, is very impressive. Not to mention Buick's Warranty which matches luxury brands.

The changes won't make much of a difference in sales, but I doubt anyone will regret owning one. I bet most will be pleasantly surprised.