'07 Tundra Camshafts Snapping

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

Full article: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.....;/70525073/1128

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

Another in a long line of Toyota miscues.

$400 million over budget.

At the very tail end of the announced opening schedule.

Sales figures far below expectations.

Door handles that are not color matched.

Wide panel gaps supposedly attributed to "a tougher looking" truck.

Tundra Autoshow sales men that wear ridiculously small tool belts that show no signs of wear. Pee-wee Hermanish to be sure. Yeah, that's a real working truck.

An absurdly constructed disconcerting interior awash in a sea of grey and black blech.

Stamped metal suspension parts.

Still selling a V-8 with a timing belt in 2007.

A cheap-*** C-frame that only a mother could love.

A truck that can't even muster a 5-star safety rating in any trim.

Let's not forget the "tough" 5-bolt lug pattern.

And styling strongly indicative of a beached whale in heat.

All followed by engines that quickly blow apart.

Yet another sunny day to bash the Tundra.

Did we leave anything out?

Tundra Autoshow sales men that wear ridiculously small tool belts that show no signs of wear. Pee-wee Hermanish to be sure. Yeah, that's a real working truck.

An absurdly constructed disconcerting interior awash in a sea of grey and black blech.

Poor fuel economy?

Priceless!

Mark Rechtin

Automotive News

metalurgic defect = manufacturer had to skimp to hit a cost target.

'20' engines. This means there is a buttload more and probably every one is subject to this happening over time. The SHO v8's had cam sprocket issues that happened more and more over time, even if the press over blew it. For this to happen out of the chute is an incredible emabarassment for hoyotha. It basically shows they don't know what they are doing yet.

God I hope this gets plastered all over the press.

Funny Stuff. :lol:

The Toyota Tundra: More camshaft snapping power than Chevy OR Ford!

toyota's solution to eliminate the camshafts snapping is to make the timing belts flimsier so they snap first before the cams do.

problem solved. :)

DID I SAY TIMING BELTS AND PICKUP IN THE SAME SENTENCE?

Edited by regfootball

Tough to play with the Big Boys...

This is a real shot to Toyota's long-term hopes in this market. It's tough enough to get buyers out of their Silverados and F-150s to try a Tundra for the first time; a bad experience will resonate for a long time.

Note to GM: This is good news, but don't think it's OK to relax now...step on their throats.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I can't wait for Toyota's jerkoff fans to start trying to spin this one.

The "stellar quality" argument is really starting to feel outdated now.

I'll pick up the challenge....

Toyota's experiencing growing pains...so what? If we're going to be fair, shouldn't we be equally upset that GM's latest all new product built in an all new plant, the Lambdas, also had an issue in the first months? Goose meet the Gander.

If being pro-GM's success means rooting for the competition to falter, then you're about 20 years late for that to work as a gameplan. Toyota has introed the RAV4, 2 new Scions, an LS460 and the FJ without incident....does that matter, too?

The perception gap will remain until GM makes the quantum leap to making demonstrably superior products (you know 'em, they're the kind Honda and Toyota have produced on a fairly consistent basis for years---the ones that are eating GM, Ford and Chrysler's lunch).

The Lambdas & the 900's are just a start...I'd be happy to report that the majority of GM's intro's are in the superior category. I just haven't seen 'em yet.

Faulty airbag switch != major engine failure

There was also a suspension issue which resulted in a DND, IIRC, but I'll concede the point.

I was only trying to point out the difficulty in intro'ing new vehicles in new facilities completely defect free.

As I stated above, greatness on a consistent basis is the ONLY way GM survives as a domestic producer.

Count me out if we are going to blindly cheer as the Chinese build Buicks and the Koreans build Chevys. That's called a phyrric victory, in my book.

Very few vehicles are completely error free at launch... even super important ones like the Lambdas and Tundra.

Still though, catastrophic engine failure? GM hasn't had an issue like that since the 8-6-4.

Can't argue its a good thing, although, generally, it's how a recall is handled, rather than the issue itself that dictates the consumer reaction.

I'm not going to one-up you with details, but suffice it to say that a little intake manifold problem bedeviled a number of GM models for years, on an old engine that was certainly not being produced in a new factory.

The point I've made (to near exhaustion on this site) is that toyota's (or any other competitors') failures does not 'fix' GM in any way. It's much more likely that other import manufacturers gain from Toyota's failures than GM does.

Let's look at it this way. If you were a good looking camshaft and saw what they put you in would you not fall apart? Every time I see one on the road I just start laughing. My friend is a big Toyota fan having owned 3 and now a 06. He saw one at the car show last fall and told them that he would never buy another Toyota pickup, since it was so ugly. Even on his new 06 under 20,000 miles he had to have the ball joint replaced per the defect. But will Toyota replace the front tires that are now bald on the outsides due to the problem, NO!!

On all accounts the Tundra has failed as far as Toyota Japan is concerned.

I hate to say it, but that just sounds dumb. How can the new Tundra fail when it's been out for less than 6 months? To be perfectly honest, how many people are going to hear about this issue (other than the ones who read about cars ALL the time, like myself)? I haven't seen any headlines showing off this new information on any major news site.

Don't get me wrong. The Tundra is NOT (IMO) the superior truck. However you have no idea at this point whether it will fail or not. Lets see what the year end sales tell us. Then we can accurately judge if it was a flop or not.

I hate to say it, but that just sounds dumb. How can the new Tundra fail when it's been out for less than 6 months? To be perfectly honest, how many people are going to hear about this issue (other than the ones who read about cars ALL the time, like myself)? I haven't seen any headlines showing off this new information on any major news site.

Don't get me wrong. The Tundra is NOT (IMO) the superior truck. However you have no idea at this point whether it will fail or not. Lets see what the year end sales tell us. Then we can accurately judge if it was a flop or not.

Well he may be refering to the fact that Toyota in Japan has been very displeased with the quality slipping as of late, and this is a major quality issue, so in that context the Tundra would indeed be a failure as a Toyota product.

As far as news about this, I have yet to see it featured on places like edmunds. Which is typical. If GM trucks have an issue with the tailgate not staying up they're all over it like flies on $h!, but here we have catastrophic engine failure and barely a peep.

Edited by Dodgefan

I actually read this headline elsewhere, at a sister site to the computer tech site I frequent. Their car column is called the Torque Report. I saw this news there before I saw it here at C&G.

Then again, you would have only heard of TTR if you've visited Tom's Hardware Guide. So that's not exactly widespread coverage.

Well he may be refering to the fact that Toyota in Japan has been very displeased with the quality slipping as of late, and this is a major quality issue, so in that context the Tundra would indeed be a failure as a Toyota product.

As far as news about this, I have yet to see it featured on places like edmunds. Which is typical. If GM trucks have an issue with the tailgate not staying up they're all over it like flies on $h!, but here we have catastrophic engine failure and barely a peep.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/29/autos/bc.t...sion=2007052915

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said that the automaker has no plans to inspect vehicles for the flaw and is confident that it can identify what it expects will be a small number of trucks at risk for developing the camshaft problem.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Toyota spokesman John Hanson said that the automaker has no plans to inspect vehicles for the flaw and is confident that it can identify what it expects will be a small number of trucks at risk for developing the camshaft problem.

:o:blink::o:blink::o:blink:

Oh wait, I see their game plan - they're taking the "let's ignore it and it will simply go away" approach.

:rolleyes:

I guess Toyota hasn't made their monthly payments to the "Media"?

This story was on every major business segment I've seen in the last 2 days.

Where are the conspiracy theorists now?

Well the contract of eulogy for Toy with the Media was till Toy became #1. Now the contract has been terminated unilaterally by Toy, hence the whiplash.