Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northstar

2008 MT Car of the Year Award goes to...

145 posts in this topic

News flash to automakers in Japan and Germany: The eagle has landed. Again.

If you were one of those who wrote off General Motors as a dying dinosaur -- after all, it's been a decade since any GM car took home the Golden Calipers (the Chevrolet Corvette won back in 1998) -- prepare to rewrite everything you think you know about what's in the General's store. With this bold, savvy, uncompromising showpiece of a sedan -- the all-new Cadillac CTS -- GM has leapt straight from the rabble's side of the velvet rope into that coveted, highly selective inner sanctum marked "World's Finest Cars." For that remarkable achievement, and for making us grin like lottery winners every time we drove it, the CTS is our enthusiastic choice for Motor Trend's 2008 Car of the Year.

Continue reading HERE

Congratulations Cadillac. It's been a long 15 years.... Bet it feels good to be back in the seat again.

Go GM!

"Someone should make a plaque: "Here on planet earth landed an all-new, thoroughly reborn Cadillac, model year 2008, A.D." For sure, the CTS has the goods to send auto aficionados over the moon."

OH....MY....GOD!!!! Now if Cadillac would just bring back the "Standard of the World" tag line...

Was looking at R&T (IIRC) on the newstand today- had a comparison article between the CTS & the g37 and even tho modern cars aren't the object of my lust, upon seeing the opening pic I actually said outloud 'Wow'. The CTS makes the g37 look 10 years old immediately.

Nice allocade- should resonate deeply with the 'rag crowd. COngrats, Cadillac!

That is great news but I also hopped for the Malibu.

Does hopping help somehow?

Most excellent!!!

Outstanding news...keep the trophies rolling in!

To get on subject, Congrats to Cadillac! I knew they had a winner in the new CTS. Drewbert must have been happy to read the comparisons to the 230-hp BMW 5-series.

the press is good guys, but be objective here. MT COTY awards are stupid.

which car won last year?

I think the POS CAmry won last year.

Good news! :thumbsup: Not sure of the significance of the COTY award, but I am glad to see the Caddy in the winners circle.

It is good to see GM with a car of the year, again, the Vette has been their only best car list contender for a while. I thought for sure the stupid Accord would get it, car magazines love the Accord.

The handling numbers they got for the CTS were very impressive, the 6.3 second 0-60 time is weak, the Camry/Accord V6 can do that. My other complaints on the CTS are 2-way lumbar, the STS's seats are far superior, and I was actually not that impressed with the stereo in the CTS. The one in my Aurora sounds better. Those are minor fixes though that they'll probably fix during the MCE.

I'd like to see the Standard of the World slogan come back as well, but they need more than 1 car. They need 4 stars, so 1 down, 3 to go.

To not only see it beat out the new Accord, but also the BMW, Audi and Volvo's is pretty cool!!

To get on subject, Congrats to Cadillac! I knew they had a winner in the new CTS. Drewbert must have been happy to read the comparisons to the 230-hp BMW 5-series.

I don't know why people always bring that up, the 528i exists because gas in Europe is $7 a gallon, and the thing gets better mileage than a Malibu or Accord or Camry (V6). Other brands do that too in ads, "more horsepower than a 528i" but who cares. Toyota could run Camry V6 has more power than a CTS ads, but what is the point. And there is a 500 hp 5-series that goes 205 mph without a speed limiter, they just offer about 7 engine choices if you factor in the diesels, which isn't a bad philosophy.

Ford made a comparison like that with the Edge, it was .2 seconds faster 0-60 than the slowest X5, and they did an ad just for that. Who cares, no one thinks a Ford Edge is as good as an X5 or cross shopping.

Edited by smk4565

It is good to see GM with a car of the year, again, the Vette has been their only best car list contender for a while. I thought for sure the stupid Accord would get it, car magazines love the Accord.

The handling numbers they got for the CTS were very impressive, the 6.3 second 0-60 time is weak, the Camry/Accord V6 can do that. My other complaints on the CTS are 2-way lumbar, the STS's seats are far superior, and I was actually not that impressed with the stereo in the CTS. The one in my Aurora sounds better. Those are minor fixes though that they'll probably fix during the MCE.

I'd like to see the Standard of the World slogan come back as well, but they need more than 1 car. They need 4 stars, so 1 down, 3 to go.

The Accord V6 can do that? Why did it do 0-60 in 6.6 in the test then? The Malibu was 6.4. Perhaps the conditions were not ideal, as the CTS was tested at 5.8 in one test.

I don't know why people always bring that up, the 528i exists because gas in Europe is $7 a gallon, and the thing gets better mileage than a Malibu or Accord or Camry (V6). Other brands do that too in ads, "more horsepower than a 528i" but who cares. Toyota could run Camry V6 has more power than a CTS ads, but what is the point. And there is a 500 hp 5-series that goes 205 mph without a speed limiter, they just offer about 7 engine choices if you factor in the diesels, which isn't a bad philosophy.

Ford made a comparison like that with the Edge, it was .2 seconds faster 0-60 than the slowest X5, and they did an ad just for that. Who cares, no one thinks a Ford Edge is as good as an X5 or cross shopping.

Wait, so you're complaining that the CTS isn't much faster than the Accord, but now you say that it's stupid to say that the something has more horsepower than the 528i if it doesn't compete with it? Since when does the CTS compete with the Accord. Please, at least try to act like you aren't bias.

This thread is about the CTS, not BMWs and stupid ads that compare Fords to BMWs, so let's get back on topic now...

lol @ using my pre-crash name... but yes.... someone finally gets what I'm sayin!

It's very simple. To get a 5 series with the same equipment as a loaded CTS, you'd have to be 7k more.

So, the American car have finally beat out the usual Japanese brand. That is really a good news, since I already lost faith on them and their Motor Trends Car of the Year thing long time ago when they only awared it to the Japanese for such a long time. I used to think Motor Trend have lost its reputation for the COTY these days ever since they merged the COTY with the ICOTY.

It's good to see GM and the America fought back to win one of the most well known(though not as trusted anymore due to the above fact) magazine award. It's about time. Congrats Cadillac.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room