Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buyacargetacheck

Grand Prix Phase Out

56 posts in this topic

The name shouldn't die, I hate alphanumeric naming schemes. The V8 Impala, Monte Carlo, LaCrosse and GP GXP should have been on the market years before they actually were. Edited by ocnblu

I concur with 'blu on this one. It's a good name, but its on an old tired car that the name just doesn't fit. Unfortunately, the car ruined the name. The G8 should have been called the Grand Prix and the Grand Am name should have stayed on what we know as the G6.

I want to say the last one rolled out a few weeks ago...

I remember talking to someone to wanted to order a GXP but couldn't ....

But G6 is easier for Avis to print on the key tag than Grand Am. Shows Pontiac marketing finally realized who their customer was.

The current GP can't die soon enough for me. If Pontiac hadn't wasted the name on 4 door rental cars starting in the late 80s, they could have used the name "Grand Prix" on the Monaro when it was imported into the US instead of calling it a GTO. Would have made a great successor IMO to the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ.

I want to say the last one rolled out a few weeks ago...

I remember talking to someone to wanted to order a GXP but couldn't ....

Yeah, its done.

Yeah, its done.

They're moving the LaCrosse to plant #1 and closing plant #2 @ Oshawa in August, correct?

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Wait a minute, then is that mean, I can't order an 08 Grand Prix Sedan? I am not interested in GXP, but I was going to order one in January. This sucks..... :(

Wait a minute, then is that mean, I can't order an 08 Grand Prix Sedan? I am not interested in GXP, but I was going to order one in January. This sucks..... :(

Not sure if they have stopped building them yet, I think we would have heard about the last one rolling down the line.

Not sure if they have stopped building them yet, I think we would have heard about the last one rolling down the line.

I wonder if the last one went to or will go to Avis? :)

Most people don't even know the Grand Prix still exists.

I just HOPE this is just a rumor and I pray to god that they haven't STOP making it, since I am going to the dealer in about two weeks to reserve one. It will be a STUPID move for GM since they already annouced that it will stay until 2008 model year, not 2007. I would NEVER want to waste my money on that stupid looking G8 that is even more expensive. GM is forcing me to hate them.

I just HOPE this is just a rumor and I pray to god that they haven't STOP making it, since I am going to the dealer in about two weeks to reserve one. It will be a STUPID move for GM since they already annouced that it will stay until 2008 model year, not 2007. I would NEVER want to waste my money on that stupid looking G8 that is even more expensive. GM is forcing me to hate them.

The Grand Prix is only sold to fleets(above 60%), and they sell for lower prices than the G6. That is not good for GM, and should have been killed a long time ago. The G8 will probably match the retail sales of the Grand Prix, at much higher prices. Pontiac's image is not in a good place, and the Grand Prix is only dragging it lower. The G8 will start to reverse Pontiac's bad image.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

we are already in the 2008 model year, so even if they killed it already, they arent lying about building 2008's...

good riddance... 1 more w body in history!

The Grand Prix is only sold to fleets(above 60%), and they sell for lower prices than the G6. That is not good for GM, and should have been killed a long time ago. The G8 will probably match the retail sales of the Grand Prix, at much higher prices. Pontiac's image is not in a good place, and the Grand Prix is only dragging it lower. The G8 will start to reverse Pontiac's bad image.

Still, it's a STUPID move to kill a car even before an announced model year is passed. I've been working to get enough money to order the car, now I can't. If this is true, I would like to say F*** You GM.

Edited by Diehard GrandPrix Fan

I just sent a PM to my dealer in Maryland, he said he can still place orders for Grand Prixs. I won't be able to check myself until I get to Detroit tomorrow.

Still, it's a STUPID move to kill a car even before an announced model year is passed. I've been working to get enough money to order the car, now I can't. If this is true, I would like to say F*** You GM.

Ehh, Toyota did it with the old turd. Usually, the production is assigned and began long before the start of a MY into the dealer showroom. For retooling and other logistics, may be Grand Prix dates of closure were earlier, you cannot call those moves stupid if there is no demand, right?

Ehh, Toyota did it with the old turd. Usually, the production is assigned and began long before the start of a MY into the dealer showroom. For retooling and other logistics, may be Grand Prix dates of closure were earlier, you cannot call those moves stupid if there is no demand, right?

Right...I'm sure Avis had plenty enough '07s to keep them going through this year.

I contacted my local Pontiac dealer as well, but according to him, he wasn't sure, he told me that the Dealers are usually the last ones to know. Oh well......

I contacted my local Pontiac dealer as well, but according to him, he wasn't sure, he told me that the Dealers are usually the last ones to know. Oh well......

Even if you can't order it, dealers have them and they can pull one from any other dealer if yours doesnt have what you want. Make him do a dealer search or you can do it yourself @ http://www.pontiac.com .

Going to the dealer now, to find out if they have the black one with ABS, Sunroof, Foglight, and leather included, which are the only thing I want. Hopefully, it's just a rumor that they stopped making it. One of the dealer told me that it is still in production, I hope they are right.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room