Just built a G8 and . . . . .

I priced up a fully loaded GT with Premium Package, Sport Package, and Sunroof for $32,745. I then priced up a loaded V-6 model with Comfort & Sound Package, Premium Package, and Sunroof, and the price was $33,735. Wha? :o A loaded V-6 model is $990 more? Come on people! :angry:

Edited by K.C.

Well... Those who want better MPG are willing to pay more than those who want HP. :o:P

I'm joking... but honestly, it's really down to a choice between the two powertrains. The V8 is not necessarily higher end than the V6. It's just preference to some. Power isn't a premium, just an option? Sound possible?

Well... Those who want better MPG are willing to pay more than those who want HP. :o:P

I'm joking... but honestly, it's really down to a choice between the two powertrains. The V8 is not necessarily higher end than the V6. It's just preference to some. Power isn't a premium, just an option? Sound possible?

Well, it is a different way of thinking. Just caught me off guard.

I priced up a fully loaded GT with Premium Package, Sport Package, and Sunroof for $32,745. I then priced up a loaded V-6 model with Comfort & Sound Package, Premium Package, and Sunroof, and the price was $33,735. Wha? :o A loaded V-6 model is $990 more? Come on people! :angry:

Math. The difference is probably the 'Comfort & Sound Package' vs. the 'Sport Package' + v8..

Edited by moltar

some people wont notice this because the v8 is an unthinkable option... this is where GM profits from green freaks...

I'd only take the 6...with current hp/torque levels from modern 6s, I cannot for the life of me think of one situation where I'd say, "damn, I wish I had the 8." The weight savings alone (and better weight balance front/rear) likely make the 6 the better handler anyway.

I'd only take the 6...with current hp/torque levels from modern 6s, I cannot for the life of me think of one situation where I'd say, "damn, I wish I had the 8." The weight savings alone (and better weight balance front/rear) likely make the 6 the better handler anyway.

unrelated, but that remind me of a quote to knock off the fast and the furious.....

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time.... the whole 23 seconds, i wish i had a V8

This car will sell very well IMO. The G8 is an amazing product.

I'm assuming no DI because of where the car is assembled. GM must not be giving Holden DI engines for thier cars yet. 256 hp is definitely enough. the hp wars are crazy in my book. 300 hp with equal or better gas mileage is without a doubt fantastic. BUT, if you're just looking at hp, 256 is more than enough. this is a whole pissing war/grass is greaner on the other side issue. 300 hp without a hot wife still only nets 300 hp, net gain not much additional happiness.

I see the V6 has 256 hp. This is the regular 3.6 and not the DI, I assume?

Weird... I thought the original number was 261. Oh well, it's 5hp.

I'm assuming no DI because of where the car is assembled. GM must not be giving Holden DI engines for thier cars yet. 256 hp is definitely enough. the hp wars are crazy in my book. 300 hp with equal or better gas mileage is without a doubt fantastic. BUT, if you're just looking at hp, 256 is more than enough. this is a whole pissing war/grass is greaner on the other side issue. 300 hp without a hot wife still only nets 300 hp, net gain not much additional happiness.

i read a test of the non-DI CTS recently. the numbers for the non-DI CTS were VERY close to the DI version.

True....but the G8 is a heavy piece....relatively speaking.....

I know that from experience, the HF V6 is less-than-sparkling, performance-wise, in my 3800-lb CTS.......and I average 18mpg in mixed driving.

In retrospect, I SHOULD have ordered a V-series.....because I don't think I would have gotten that much worse mileage.....and the car would have been way faster.....hence, if in the market for a G8, it's V8.....ALL the way.....

I agree.

The enthusiast in me says...."give me more horsepower".....

But the realist in me says, for example, the 2.0L L4 Turbo in the A4 I'm driving is MORE than enough performance (and economy) that I'll ever need.

True they are not near as far apart as you might think they would be.

True....but wierd thing...

On the C&D website, they rate the 0-60 on the standard 3.6L as 7.0 secs....(not that bad).....but in the recent C&D mag I just got, they have it at 6.4 secs.....which is awesome for the base 3.6L.....

Why the discrepancy? Hmmm.....

True....but wierd thing...

On the C&D website, they rate the 0-60 on the standard 3.6L as 7.0 secs....(not that bad).....but in the recent C&D mag I just got, they have it at 6.4 secs.....which is awesome for the base 3.6L.....

Why the discrepancy? Hmmm.....

150 pound driver compared to a 300 pound driver? :scratchchin:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

150 pound driver compared to a 300 pound driver? :scratchchin:

It's this f*cking website versus magazine thing......

You will NEVER replace the enjoyment I get in reading an actual magazine over the website anyday.......f*ck the internet (when it comes to car $h!.)

It's this f*cking website versus magazine thing......

You will NEVER replace the enjoyment I get in reading an actual magazine over the website anyday.......f*ck the internet (when it comes to car $h!.)

OK so maybe I was a bit drunk last night.....LOL.....

Of couse C&G is GREAT for car $h!.....I meant car-magazine-type stuff.......

:alcoholic:

another couple reasons the gto failed. no sunroof. aero smooth styling. non existent trunk. gas tank in a really undesirable spot.

The G8 has a sunroof option and a trunk big enough for a six-footer to curl up in. As for the styling, that is a subjective issue; I find the car attractive myself, so to each his own and, yes, the gas tank location brings back nightmares of Ford Pintos burning like Roman Candles, but I'm positive that the G8 won't blow up if you kick it's rear bumper.

another couple reasons the gto failed. no sunroof. aero smooth styling. non existent trunk. gas tank in a really undesirable spot.

In one sense, I think one reason it failed was the Mustang GT.

(The Mustang doesn't offer a sunroof either.)

But I think people looking for that type of car saw the Mustang GT as a much better value-for-the-money......almost as fast, but alot cheaper....and (this is subjective) with much better styling.

But I think people looking for that type of car saw the Mustang GT as a much better value-for-the-money......almost as fast, but alot cheaper....and (this is subjective) with much better styling.

...if you want a sunroof I have a sawzall.

But seriously, your right on the Mustang thing.

Chris

oh definitely. it made a strong statement, a very unique one. It's a car that's both handsome and refined/sophisticated with certain trim. So it appeals to the spectrum, those looking for a bad ass and those looking for pure grace. Inside and out it was a homerun. And the cheaper part was a big deal as well. Pound for pound, idea for idea, valet curb to cool club doorstep [insert trendy cliche], the Mustang was more car for your money. It was and is just cooler.

So if this is true, the G8 is going to suck the market out from the -what- 5-series, right? Much better value, almost as fast (faster??), but a lot cheaper, with much better styling. I guess we'll see....

if you take brand value out of the question. the notion that BMW will sink into the ground because Pontiac released a better 5-series is not very well thought out. BMW is an image. of sophistication, of performance, of stature. And Pontiac is not.

Side note: who ever said G8 was better looking? They're both saying different things, and both good looking. They both have a technical approach to things, both opt for sophistication and subtlety with style, but the G8 is more mass market. The details in the 5-series, well from what I've seen in pictures of the G8, still amount to a more expensive looking car by means of flash and complexity.

Pontiac v. Ford is even ground. Mustang is a hot property and GTO definitely had/has name equity. Which has more is always left up to the product. Simply put, the Mustang was a much better concept execution of what a Mustang should be. GTO, well, wasn't a monster performance coupe, at least from the looks of it. It was refined, handsome with a conservative tone, very un-flashy, subtle, quiet.

The Monaro coupe was a great car but not a great execution of the GTO formula.

Edited by turbo200