Rumors On Blue Devil, Sixteen, z06, H4 & More

Guest Josh

Thanks to C&G reader Dave for sending this information along. Rumors on the mentioned vehicles.

Our insiders should have some fun with this.

Orignial Thread

GM is back, and with avengence.

As far as all the things I've read lately, and from my uncle, who is close friends with some of the largest figures in the Auto industry, I have some HUGE surprises...

Corvette Z06 SuperSport (aka-Blue Devil)
Most of us know about this high performance machine, and we all know that at least 600 hp is expected. Well, good news for the all of you, expect at least 650. For about 95,000 American, you get 150 more ponies, and a high performance car capable of putting the Enzo to shame. Expect it by Fall 2006.

Chevrolet Camaro Z28 and SS
We all know this too. But I betcha you didn't know that the base version will be the only car for under 22,000 that comes with a V8. No joke. Oh, and expect this car to be here by Summer 2008, and with the SS version pumping at least 480hp into that engine bay.

Cadillac Cien
GM's first mid-engined production car is gonna make a gigantic splash on the aut industry. Expect Bentley Continental GT pricing and Saleen S7 performance when this all Carbon Fibre Supercar pops into showrooms in Summer 2007. Oh, and don't expect a Corvette Engine. It's all Northstar V8.

Cadillac Sixteen Sedan
Not quite as big as the Concept, but big enough to scare the living crap out of a H1 owner, this Caddy will have a V16 engine, a collaberation of two Northstar V8's, and will produce a more healthy 800hp. Expect it to be here by 2009, and for the workers at the Maybach factories to be fuming with new ideas.

Buick Roadmaster
Well... just what we need, another GM coupe and Convertible. This one will have rear wheel drive though, and a possible 420hp when it pops up stateside in 2007. Built on the same Corvette chassis and suspension setup as the XLR, this car will have a huge pricetag, and few will be made.

Hummer H4
Great, another one. Well, not exactly. This time, it won't be so much off road king as cheap off road prince built off of the Equinox chassis. And it'll be more suited to a Younger Crowd, with an obviously lesser amount of money. Expect a concept of this $25,000 pony to be shown at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show.

Now, everything I just told you may sound like a lie, coming from me. It's not. Although I will be honest and tell you that GM isn't completely sure whether they'll produce some of these, especially the Roadmaster. But I can tell you that the Corvette SS, the H4, and the Camaro are coming.

And look out, because they're coming with they're weapons ready.

Caddy Sixteen with 2 V8's producing 800hp? By 2009? I'm not believing this one. Nor am I believing the Camaro base with a V8 engine for under 22,000. C'mon, if GM could do that, don't you think we'd have a little better pricing/specs for the cars out now?

If half of these rumors are correct I'd be quite ecstatic. Can GM build a V8 Camaro for $22,000 when Ford can't do it now with the Mustang, doesn't seem possible. Maybe the 2006 Detroit Auto Show will be a memorable one after all.

Roadmaster as a coupe and convertible? That doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, as a Riviera it would.

I could see a camaro being as little as 22k (for a real stripper car though), i betcha that GM's cost on either a 5.3 or 4.8l smallblock is a lot cheaper than Ford's 3v OHC v8s for starters. GM also has better productivity than ford (don't know about the auto alliance plant where the stang is built in particular though), especially in its newer plants that could keep costs down. And don't forget the total value promise, or whatever they call their lower MSRP strategy. If they wanted to keep camaro production low, they could concievably build zeta chasis's in australia and send them over for final assembly in the USA.

i believe the vette and the h4..the rest i must question but then again...the ss is suppose to go against the gt500 cobra if it does and gm h olds true to the past...all the camaros had more horses than the must counterparts always so 30 more horses than the gt500 sounds about right. the hardest one to believe are the caddy ones. we haven't even heard rumours about the cien but we know the sixteen is coming we saw the clay models for it...i heard they weren't going ot do a v16 though and just do a v12 for it. but I'm sure NAIS will be an awesome show.

Corvette Z06 SS: We've been talking about it for a while, and with yesterday's news about the LS3 and LS9, I think it's definetly possible. Camaro: I think it's possible to put a V8 in the Camaro at under $22k. I also think it'd be a good idea to do because then they can advertise base V8 power, something the Mustang doesn't have. They do it in the Impala for $27k, and it has a lot more standard stuff than a base Camaro would. Cien: not buying this, although I heard that GM was until recently still considering the Cien. Sixteen: I suppose it's possible they will eventually build it, but not by the time he says. I'm guess he's getting it mixed up with the ULS because that's about the time it's supposed to come out. Also notice he said it wasn't quite as big as the concept, and the ULS would be a slightly smaller Sixteen. Roadmaster: maybe they decided that they should do a two-seat Velite as the Buick flagship, but I don't see the need. H4: It certainly better be off-road capable. Hummer shouldn't put something out that isn't "Trail-Rated" they don't need to follow Jeep. The GMC Theta should be capable of attracting similar buyers if done correctly.

As much as I would love to believe ALL of this, some does work. The Camaro and Corvette, I definitely see making it to production. But come on, Buick Roadmaster? One, the name says really old people. Two, do we really need another 2 seat luxo cruiser? I thought cadillac had that sewed up. Now if it was a lengthened 'Vette chassis, so it could seat four, then I would believe it.

Yes.. I know. Read my original post. Toni edited out most of what I said for some reason. But, did you really think I, C&G's Fiero fanatic, wouldn't know that it was mid-engined? :P :lol:

Yeah...I missed your original post (I read the thread from the bottom up...) :)

Josh I keep forgeting to tell you about Bill Durant.

He was fired from GM twice.

Ended up working at a bowling alley.

And died broke.

Might I suggest Alfred P. Sloan II

http://www.classiccar.com/articles/william_durant.asp

:P

[post="2502"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'm just showing some love to the man that brought us all to the big dance. Withour Mr. Durant, there would be no GM.

I'm just showing some love to the man that brought us all to the big dance. Withour Mr. Durant, there would be no GM.

[post="2802"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You earn my respect, because you understand that. Sloan as great as he was in fixing the disaster Durant created called GM at the time could never have created the disaster he fixed in the first place.

I wish I could believe this but I think I need a shovel to dig my way out of all this B.S.

Yup the Corvair was GMs (of No. America) only rear engined production vehicle and the Fiero was the only mid-engined. PLenty of concepts along the way though.

Link above says Durant owned a chain of bowling alleys, not 'worked in a bowling alley' (tho, I suppose, the point is made well enough).

Sloan as great as he was in fixing the disaster Durant created called GM at the time could never have created the disaster he fixed in the first place.

While not in the same manner, it was certainly within the abilities of APS Jr. Nearly half of what Durant brought together was sold-off, discontinued or consolidated under Sloan, which if you look at it one way: it took Sloan to make GM what it was longer than what GM was under Durant.

I just dont see the Hummer Brand letting GM put a new Hummer on non-truck based chassis. Besides, the H3 was used to market to the younger crowd. What GM needs to do is bring back the Chevy Tracker body but make it look like a Hummer and upgrade the technology. The Tracker was a great car especially offroading in 4x4 but it was poorly marketed. Slap the Hummer name on it, change the orientation of the bars that the soft cover roof attaches to and voila, THE REAL HUMMER H4. And as soon as I can scan, I will post my drawing of the H4.

I don't think anything that small says Hummer.... And I also have to complain about there being nothing for Pontiac in the pipeline.... Notice how no one complained about Saturn or Saab.... :)

And I also have to complain about there being nothing for Pontiac in the pipeline....

Nothing in the b.s. pipeline? That doesn't matter!

Now for the truth:
The G6 is here and now!
The Solstice is here and now!
The G6 convertible is almost here!
A next-generation GTO is confirmed!
A new 4-door RWD Pontiac is rumored!

Isn't that sufficient?

If there is a Camaro concept at NAIAS, then it will be like 2009 when it's is sold. The Solstice took that long from concept to market. And what plant/platform is it going to be made? Zeta for NA is still dead, like an old SNL joke. "Roadmaster comes stateside". From Australia? Maybe for China, will "real Americans" buy it? There were lots of rumors that never came to be, like 2005 Camaros and even the 2005-06 ""Chevelle" based on the GTO. Rumors are just that, Rumors, not planned products.

Yes.. I know. Read my original post. Toni edited out most of what I said for some reason. But, did you really think I, C&G's Fiero fanatic, wouldn't know that it was mid-engined? :P :lol:

[post="2796"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't want my post to look like a big lump of repetition. That's why I only quoted points and the relevant. Isn't that's what quoting is for?

How about any news about cars for Pontiac.

The base V8 for the Camaro will probably be the 5.3L.  I wounder how much the SS model will be.

[post="2374"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the base Camaro will more than likely will be powered by the same 3.9L pushrod V6 that powers the G6, Impala, Monte Carlo.. it will have around 250 hp. a 5.3L V8 with around 330 hp will be an option, the SS version however will employ a detuned base corvette engine good for about 375 hp...

Yeah, for some reason I don't see a 480 HP Camaro SS stomping all over the Corvette's 400 HP, for like $10K less.....and if so, it's gonna be one hell of an expensive Camaro.

[post="3234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

this is more than likely the engine lineup for the Camaro..

3.9L OHV V6 250 hp, 5.3L OHV V8 330 hp, 6.0L OHV V8 375 hp..

id like to see the base camaro with the V6 and a 5 speed manual with a base msrp of $19,999(2005 dollars).. id also like to know where they plan of assembling the camaro.. could it be built in the under used factory in delaware that builds the Solstice?? with the Ion seemingly headed to Lordstown for the 2008 Model year is Spring Hill TN a possiblity?? if Doraville GA dont get the next gen minivans even they are a possiblity.. Dont rule out Oshwa Ontario eiether.

I think the Camaro will be built at Wilmington. It has an extra line that isn't in operation right now, and even if the Solstice + Sky combine for 50k units/year (which seems a little high except for the first year) then there's still 130k units of capacity for the Camaro.

this is more than likely the engine lineup for the Camaro..

3.9L OHV V6 250 hp,  5.3L OHV V8 330 hp, 6.0L OHV V8 375 hp..

id like to see the base camaro with the V6 and a 5 speed manual with a base msrp of $19,999(2005 dollars)..   id also like to know where they plan of assembling the camaro..   could it be built in the under used factory in delaware that builds the Solstice??  with the Ion seemingly headed to Lordstown for the 2008 Model year is Spring Hill TN a possiblity?? if Doraville GA dont get the next gen minivans even they are a possiblity..  Dont rule out Oshwa Ontario eiether.

[post="3952"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The top end Camaro SS will be no less than 400+ HP. But it will be important to have a very good V6 and I could see it over the 250 HP. If the V6 fails the new Camaro will fail.

As much as I like Spring Hill for the New RWD GM cars, I expect them to all be from Canada just because of the V8 and CAFE factor alone. Oshwa is the prime plant.

Deleware is out as Kappa and Zeta platforms just don't add up in the same plant. I expect we will see more Kappa based small cars as soon as the RWD Zeta cars are done. GM has more plans for Kappa but the development time and money need to go to the Zeta first. Edited by hyperv6

In this month's Motor Trend, they're reporting that the Dodge Challenger is a go and will have an SRT-8 version with the 6.1L, 425 HP Hemi upon it's introduction, probably in 2010. The Shelby Mustang will be good for about 450 HP when it arrives next year. I don't think having a 450 HP Camaro SS is out of the question. -RBB

I take off PontiacTech NJ, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The Geo Tracker did have that problem, but once they dropped that name and became the Chevrolet Tracker, it was a totally different car. And you also prove my point by that it was poorly marketed only certain people liked it. I am definitely not saying to resurrect the name of the Tracker, just use its main body and chassis. And I ask you Poniac Tech, did you own a Chevrolet Tracker? I did and my friend owned a Jeep. They were equally comparable in off roading and I actually used my tracker to pull him out when he got stuck in snow. So please, do not post unless you know what you are talking about and or did not read my post correctly.

i'm not Tracker fanatic, I mean theydid have a goofy stigmata but I'd rather have BO racker 4x4 than an Equinox. I hate car based SUVs. Just as I always make fun of the CRV, RAV4 & SantaFe I'm no fan of the Equinox and Vue. Besides, It's been proven time and time again that small "cute-utes" are less safe than a equaly priced mid size car. With the V6 and the LT package the Tracker was a decent little truck. At least it had a frame. Too bad a manual trans was not available with the V6.

Yup the Corvair was GMs (of No. America) only rear engined production vehicle and the Fiero was the only mid-engined.

PLenty of concepts along the way though.

[post="2848"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, you COULD say the Fiero is a FRONT-engined Citation driving backwards.......

It had a Chevette front suspension and the Fiero's mid-engined rear suspension was basically taken from the X-body's front suspension/chassis.

I did like the car though! Of course, the last year was the best year.....

If there is a Camaro concept at NAIAS, then it will be like 2009 when it's is sold. The Solstice took that long from concept to market. And what plant/platform is it going to be made? Zeta for NA is still dead, like an old SNL joke.

[post="3499"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The name Zeta is dead; the platform Zeta is not. Make sense? The platform's always been in existence, but they keep changing the name on it.

...or have I just misunderstood it all along?

Well, Zeta will most likely show up on the next GTO and a Pontiac sedan, possibly. Zeta was always the name for the North American version of Holden's RWD Commodore platform (VE). Zeta will probably also underpin the next MC replacement, most likely a Chevelle, and a Buick coupe and sedan. Camaro will be on a different platform, that is basically a cheapened Sigma; it is also very likely that a sedan will come off of that platform, and this is totally unrelated to Zeta. So Zeta basically got postponed. EDIT: anyone want to confirm or deny anything I said, or add to it? Edited by turbo200