Showers don't just bring May flowers...

Lamar

Sixty6-Stang:

I watched planet terror the other day & enjoyed it throroughly

except for the fact that a '68 Razorback was destroyed! <_<

So instead of an ugly dustmte it looked like an ugly dustmite wearing air-jordans?

Razorback? Haven't seen that movie..pls. translate.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, after taking my wife's car (no-start) to the shop and walking home:

- 4 redesigned Mitsubishi Galants (gold, silver, blue, red)

- 2 new Mitsubishi Lancer Evos, blue and red

- Lamborghini Gallardo in bright yellow :excl:

Lamborghini Gallardo in bright yellow :excl:

You must have seen the same one I saw yesterday...can't be too many of them in the state. Cornea-searing yellow coupe? It was a few cars behind me, heading north on I-95 just past Beltsville when I saw it.

Also, a quaint upper-middle-age couple from Ontario, tooling around in a silvery Chevy Epica LT, doing what must've been 45 in the middle left lane of the Beltway.

Edited by DetroitNut90

Moltar:

The Razorback is the Bustleback's much more attractive, older cousin.

'67-'70 Cadillac (Fleetwood) Eldorado (first gen. E-body Cadillac)

Moltar:

The Razorback is the Bustleback's much more attractive, older cousin.

'67-'70 Cadillac (Fleetwood) Eldorado (first gen. E-body Cadillac)

Ahh..never heard one referred to that way. I love the style of those Eldos. Will Ferrell drives one ('69-70, I think) in the movie 'Semi-Pro'.

You must have seen the same one I saw yesterday...can't be too many of them in the state. Cornea-searing yellow coupe? It was a few cars behind me, heading north on I-95 just past Beltsville when I saw it.

That was probably it. Obviously I didn't see it for long. :P

Sorry to hear your car died Lamar, methinks both of us are in for an upgrade.

I found/figured out that the immobilizer in her Maxima freaked out and, well, immobilized the car.

Amy's Maxima is still going along nicely... there's one serious job that I have to have done with it, but it's not going anywhere just yet. I am really trying to get out of the Pathfinder though... maybe into an H-body if I can find one.

New Mercedes B-class. Looks like an R-class Mini-Me. I was like, "WTH?" I wonder what it was doing here. Maybe Benz is letting US dealership people drive it. Will it be imported here?

Interesting...

I like the B-class. At least it has a decent looking front end unlike the R-class.

GREAT sighting last night!

My bud (OCCarNut) and I were in Laguna Beach having drinks and dinner last night......PCH was closed about 1/2 mile down the street from where we were due to a water main break.....and traffic was jammed on PCH while we were walking about the town.

We saw a whole gaggle of current BMWs with manufacturer plates and spread in between them was:

1-Series Convertible - All camo'd up. With the convertible all in the press, un-camo'd....we were wondering why this one was all done up? Could it be an M1 variant, and BMW was trying to conceal some bodywork changes???

X6 - This had a minor bit of camo on it....but sounded like the I6 when taking off.....so probably wasn't anything more than a bone-stock X6. However, this car (SUV? SUV Coupe?) looked REALLY good in person.....the rakish roofline looks striking. This thing definitely comes off better in person when you see it driving down the street.

NEW 7-Series (!!!) - This was the best sighting...! This car was really camo-d up.....but you could tell it was a 7 due to the size and you could see the body sides around the doors and door glass pretty clearly. It keeps the same greenhouse design, but curved-up a bit it looked like. You could tell it was a new 7....the door handles are completely different and located/positioned clearly differently than in the current car.

It was tough to tell due to ALL the camo, but it looked like it isn't as hunkered-down to the ground as the CS concept that BMW showed recently. However, there was significant camo ON TOP of the hood and decklid....so it could have represented some "faked" bulking-up of the body...in other words, with the camo off, it might be far sleaker than it appeared on the street last night.

I was able to get a peak inside the car because it was stuck in traffic and I just ran out and looked in from behind it through the rear window. It looked to have the same double-bump dash as the current car, but alot swoopier (?) like perhaps how the 6-series dash looks in comparison...?

The bangle-butt seemed to be reduced in this version (or so it appeared through the camo.

Sorry I didn't get any pics.....but it was nighttime out, and I tried with my camera phone, but they didn't come out too well (nighttime...plus all black cars with black camo, etc.)

GREAT sighting last night!

My bud (OCCarNut) and I were in Laguna Beach having drinks and dinner last night......PCH was closed about 1/2 mile down the street from where we were due to a water main break.....and traffic was jammed on PCH while we were walking about the town.

We saw a whole gaggle of current BMWs with manufacturer plates and spread in between them was:

1-Series Convertible - All camo'd up. With the convertible all in the press, un-camo'd....we were wondering why this one was all done up? Could it be an M1 variant, and BMW was trying to conceal some bodywork changes???

X6 - This had a minor bit of camo on it....but sounded like the I6 when taking off.....so probably wasn't anything more than a bone-stock X6. However, this car (SUV? SUV Coupe?) looked REALLY good in person.....the rakish roofline looks striking. This thing definitely comes off better in person when you see it driving down the street.

NEW 7-Series (!!!) - This was the best sighting...! This car was really camo-d up.....but you could tell it was a 7 due to the size and you could see the body sides around the doors and door glass pretty clearly. It keeps the same greenhouse design, but curved-up a bit it looked like. You could tell it was a new 7....the door handles are completely different and located/positioned clearly differently than in the current car.

It was tough to tell due to ALL the camo, but it looked like it isn't as hunkered-down to the ground as the CS concept that BMW showed recently. However, there was significant camo ON TOP of the hood and decklid....so it could have represented some "faked" bulking-up of the body...in other words, with the camo off, it might be far sleaker than it appeared on the street last night.

I was able to get a peak inside the car because it was stuck in traffic and I just ran out and looked in from behind it through the rear window. It looked to have the same double-bump dash as the current car, but alot swoopier (?) like perhaps how the 6-series dash looks in comparison...?

The bangle-butt seemed to be reduced in this version (or so it appeared through the camo.

Sorry I didn't get any pics.....but it was nighttime out, and I tried with my camera phone, but they didn't come out too well (nighttime...plus all black cars with black camo, etc.)

Very cool sighting, OC!

My, how I do love to hear stories about BMW cars. :yes:

As far as sightings of my own go, I saw about a '79 to '80 C3 Corvette in Richmond today and a really striking black Malibu LTZ.

I do wish I could have another prototype sighting. My most recent ones were of a camouflaged Mustang on the back of a flatbed truck about a year and a half ago (as it turns out, it was a GT500 mule; I had photos on my old computer which is now long gone) and a Colorado with a makeshift rollbar on the back of a flatbed truck with camo about nine months ago, all on I-75.

Edited by YellowJacket894

theres a house a few blocks down with a 70 Chevelle in need of some TLC and a blue 87-88 Fiero GT outside.. never move, but both registered ... everyone of my friends has rang his bell and asked if the chevelle was for sale... i asked today if the fiero was for sale....

nope :(

i want it ! :D

Saw a Duster on frickin' 20" IROC wheels. Simply sacrilegious. That's like throwing Mustang rims on a Camaro.

And a '58 T-Bird in some repair shop lot. Looks smaller than I figured it would be, as if it was evolutionary from the 55-57.

'55 Buick 2-dr sedan, modern 'smoothie' rims, white over blue, exc shape.

'64-66 T-bird convertible, dark blue top, light blue body, decent.

'67 Nova hardtop, tubbed, Impact Red, show.

Duece roadster, fenderless, primer

Morris wagon with a blown BBC, reall wood trim, tubbed, show.

Vespa 2-dr, blown BBC, tubbed, show.

Car show today, but it generally sucked. Far too many thumpa-thumpa ricers, lifted 4x4s, modern sh!t .... not nearly eough '30s, '40s, '50s cars. Gets slightly worse every year...

White Fortwo cabrio, parked at the same dealership I photographed the blue hardtop I posted.

Red G8 V6, no options, at local dealership. Looks great, I like the single dual pipes, and the red taillamps (although the effect was lessened with the bright red paint). Only thing that appeared questionable was the vinyl steering wheel. Leather wrapped should be standard on such a car, imo.

'55 Buick 2-dr sedan, modern 'smoothie' rims, white over blue, exc shape.

'64-66 T-bird convertible, dark blue top, light blue body, decent.

'67 Nova hardtop, tubbed, Impact Red, show.

Duece roadster, fenderless, primer

Morris wagon with a blown BBC, reall wood trim, tubbed, show.

Vespa 2-dr, blown BBC, tubbed, show.

Car show today, but it generally sucked. Far too many thumpa-thumpa ricers, lifted 4x4s, modern sh!t .... not nearly eough '30s, '40s, '50s cars. Gets slightly worse every year...

Well, the # of folks into the 30-40s-50s cars is dwindling (since that crowd is older than the baby boomer muscle car crowd), no doubt, so the shows are going to be reflecting what people are into.

Driving from Phoenix back to Denver over the last day, I did see occasionally some oldies...I saw a car hauler near Las Cruces, NM with a load of oldies--red '59 Caddy 4dr, a Metropolitan, a '56 Ford 2dr ht, a late '50s black Corvette, and a lt green '60 Dodge 4dr. Along I-25 in NM, I saw many interesting old cars from the '50s-70s in various states of decay, either in people's yards or abandoned in fields. There is an interesting Shell gas station in northern NM that has a little roped-off car display in it's travel shop with a '51 Chevy Bel Air convertible, '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible, '59 Ford Skyliner, and '53 or '54 Chevy hardtop. Out back they have a purple '51 Chevy sedan delivery.

Was behind what I think was an older Countach tonight (didn't have the preponderance of bumper protrusions/bumperettes), red ( :rolleyes: ) with the stand-up wing. Dang, those cars look half crushed going down the road.

>>"Well, the # of folks into the 30-40s-50s cars is dwindling (since that crowd is older than the baby boomer muscle car crowd), no doubt, so the shows are going to be reflecting what people are into."<<

Actually, the popularity of '50s cars are still definately on the rise; check collector values over the last 10-5-3 years. If anything, it's '30s cars that have leveled off, with the exception of early '30s Fords, which are more popular 75 years later than ever. Other mainstream makes of similar years are also still escalating in popularity because Fords are pricing themselves beyond the average hotrodders reach. But the big '30s classics (Cadillac, Duesenberg,Packard, etc) are leveling off somewhat, yes.

A lot of the late boomers are not going to follow suit and pine after cars of the '70s/80s (to the same extent as earlier generations) due to the relative wretchedness of the vehicles and the difficulties restoring them (emissions, computer/electronics, plastics). These car nuts are much more likely to stick with what's far more interesting/ valuable/ restoration-supported/friendly: '50s & '60s cars.

No; this car show's turnout is more a product of the show itself (seems they up the cut-off year ever year, and judging by this year's field, doesn't seem to be one anymore), that a reflection of collector interest.

Edited by balthazar

Was behind what I think was an older Countach tonight (didn't have the preponderance of bumper protrusions/bumperettes), red ( :rolleyes: ) with the stand-up wing. Dang, those cars look half crushed going down the road.

>>"Well, the # of folks into the 30-40s-50s cars is dwindling (since that crowd is older than the baby boomer muscle car crowd), no doubt, so the shows are going to be reflecting what people are into."<<

A lot of the late boomers are not going to follow suit and pine after cars of the '70s/80s (to the same extent as earlier generations) due to the relative wretchedness of the vehicles and the difficulties restoring them (emissions, computer/electronics, plastics). These car nuts are much more likely to stick with what's far more interesting/ valuable/ restoration-supported/friendly: '50s & '60s cars.

What will be interesting is to see what my generation (X) gets into restoring as they get older...my old car interest is definitely the cars I grew up around from the '70s and '80s...I like many '60s cars also, but the '50s and before are just too far out of my context for me to really get interested in...they are fun to look at at shows, but I don't think I'd want one. My old cars are my '69 Mustang (which my dad bought new and is one year older than I am) and my '87 Mustang GT that I've had since new...I need to drive them more (and not be 1300-2500 miles from them.. :)

Edited by moltar

See; I'm in your generation, but my interests have been getting steadily older (and they've always been older vehicles than I am). '70s cars were all around when I grew up, yet -even as a motorhead- I never was drawn to them once exposed to '50s-'60s cars. My 'baby' was my '64 GP (still have it, but have lost most of my interest in it), then my B-59, but my most recent purchase was my '40 Ford.

See; I'm in your generation, but my interests have been getting steadily older (and they've always been older vehicles than I am). '70s cars were all around when I grew up, yet -even as a motorhead- I never was drawn to them once exposed to '50s-'60s cars. My 'baby' was my '64 GP (still have it, but have lost most of my interest in it), then my B-59, but my most recent purchase was my '40 Ford.

Interesting...from your posts over the years, I've always thought you were in your late 50s or 60s, you are very knowledgeable about automotive history.

Jaguar XF, silver, being delivered. :thumbsup: I about gave my wife a heart attack over the phone when I announced the sighting. :lol:

VW R32 in a great shade of blue, while crawling along the Capital Beltway. It lost points when I saw it was being driven by a girl on her phone.

Ya know, just like the girl I saw driving the previous ZR-1 a couple of months back, I always wonder how many of these girls know how hot their cars are under the skin or if they just think they look cool...

Jaguar XF, silver, being delivered. :thumbsup: I about gave my wife a heart attack over the phone when I announced the sighting. :lol:

VW R32 in a great shade of blue, while crawling along the Capital Beltway. It lost points when I saw it was being driven by a girl on her phone.

Ya know, just like the girl I saw driving the previous ZR-1 a couple of months back, I always wonder how many of these girls know how hot their cars are under the skin or if they just think they look cool...

Yeah, I occasionally see women driving cars like M3s and M5s and wonder did they buy them simply because they are the most expensive/top of the line of their various model ranges, or because they know how badass the cars are and how high the capabilities are. (though I'm sure there are some men that buy such cars the same way without being serious enthusiasts).