New Buick to be called LaCrosse, has been butchered.

As for the name, not even C&D said GM has confirmed it will stay "LaCrosse". They are just calling it LaCrosse themselves, fair enough as GM has not announced the name of the NG sedan.

True, but the badging on the silver car in the spy shot does say "LaCrosse." Hopefully, GM is having second thoughts.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks small to me, like the Buick version of the Chevy Cruze. Even the headlights and hood look the same. Are we sure this is the Epsilon II car?

I just keep hoping that this is not the "game-changing" Buick that BL promised.

I'll grab my 2011 Camaro SS convertible and say B-Bye to any hope of GM surviving.

It looks small to me, like the Buick version of the Chevy Cruze. Even the headlights and hood look the same. Are we sure this is the Epsilon II car?

I think it's supposed to be larger than the current Malibu (Epsilon I).

I'm not sure what game they are trying to change, but it looks like it is competitive against the Avalon and Sable.

Same damned, reguritated, tired, worn-out, boring, predictable, design. This is a longer design run than the '68-82 Corvette !! 4 round lights, horizontal plastic grille, pig nostrils, bland sheetmetal (actually, at least the '68 has some interest & flair to it). Even the hood emblem is in the exact same spot, twenty-five f@#king years later. It never changes (well, until it got Bangled). I hope to hell (like I care) bmw didn't pay any sort of design staff all those years, for what ??? Sure wasn't for interior design.

You still consider quad circular headlights 'modern' in 1994??

Same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over..........

:P

But it's okay man... Because it's a (cue angel choir) BMW!

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Second, it's a Buick; it will not have an edgy design. That's not Buick's purpose. Buick represents casual luxury; their products are supposed to be understated and elegant (the Enclave was a perfect example). Cadillac is supposed to be the edgy luxury brand with "flashy" designs. This is what sets Buick and Cadillac apart (I would still like to see the 2 brands combined to form the luxury dealer network, but that is another issue).

Sure, the picture is grainy. But if anyone here thinks this car is even remotely up to Enclave standards, then I'd like some of what they're smoking.

Even if the picture sucks, the disparity is already too big.

To me it looks very close to the concept...very similar grille and headlight treatment, same taillight treatment, same side sculpting...the front fascia is a bit different and the greenhouse differs wrt to window framing. The small wheels on the 'production' version in the pics are underwhelming. Aspects I don't really care for that I did notice about both the concept and the 'production' version (if that is what it is) are the stubby front and rear, and the vertical tallness/thickness of the body relative to the greenhouse size...those seem to be current design trends that many automakers use.

Fair enough... But as with the G6 of yore, the details that were LOST from concept to production are what made the car appealing in the first place.

The devil is in the details... Especially on a design that is this generic to begin with (The Invicta was a nice concept, but even it was a bit generic).

It also looks like a base model maybe a model that road a little lower with better wheels/trim would be better.

I think this might be a base trim model for the Chinese market (I think someone else suggested this in an earlier post). I just wonder if Buick has to cover a little more of the mainstream segment there with some of their lower trim levels than it does here in the States (after all, they do have a rebadged Suzuki Forenza in their lineup over there). Some of the front details just don't quite match the camouflaged cars I have previously seen. I think if they gave this car a grille and headlight treatment that was a little more similar to the Invicta Concept, a front bumper with foglights that was similar to one on the Lucerne Super, wheels that were a little larger and more similar in design to the Invicta Concept, and some chromed door handles, then we would be in business. If the cheapened details were addressed and cleaned up, it would actually be a nice looking car. I'm not going to give up on it until clearer official pictures of the U.S. version are released.

It looks dated already, a car that would not lower the age of their buying demographic one bit. I hope this is not the real deal.

I disagree on both points... this car doesn't look dated at all considering the overhangs are very short and the interior is probably competitive with the newly remodeled Acura TL. BTW... Buick's buying age has already lowered into the 50's.

As for those who say it doesn't look like a Buick, let's just add a foot overhang to the front and back, oval/square formal upright grille, hood ornament, canvas roof, wire wheels, bench seat, and velour upholstery so all of you will recognize it even though you never intended to buy one in the first place. <_<

Sure, the picture is grainy. But if anyone here thinks this car is even remotely up to Enclave standards, then I'd like some of what they're smoking.

Even if the picture sucks, the disparity is already too big.

FOG... The picture doesn't show details... you can't tell if the door handles are chrome or body colored. You can't even see the chrome strip along the rocker panel. You can barely make out an incomplete sweepspear-inspired crease. You definitely can't make out the headlights and grille. They're just blurs.

The decent shot of the rear leads me to believe this car will appear more upscale than the current LaCrosse or Lucerne. The interior appears completely intact. That's where the Enclave comparisons are justified. GMNA needs better cars and more of them... many more. This is one of them.

WOW!!!

What an ugly, generic looking S.O.B.

But hey, what else would one expect from GME?

GME is in charge of Epsilon and now, according to PCS, MOST of GMNA.

(I know, I know :rolleyes: But whatever)

Give the GME hate a rest. At least keep it out of the Buick forum. You can say and do all you want in the Pontiac Forum which has turned into nothing but hate topic after hate topic about GME... Nothing but a pure bash-fest.

I won't allow that to poison the Buick Forum also.

I disagree on both points... this car doesn't look dated at all considering the overhangs are very short and the interior is probably competitive with the newly remodeled Acura TL. BTW... Buick's buying age has already lowered into the 50's.

As for those who say it doesn't look like a Buick, let's just add a foot overhang to the front and back, oval/square formal upright grille, hood ornament, canvas roof, wire wheels, bench seat, and velour upholstery so all of you will recognize it even though you never intended to buy one in the first place. <_<

FOG... The picture doesn't show details... you can't tell if the door handles are chrome or body colored. You can't even see the chrome strip along the rocker panel. You can barely make out an incomplete sweepspear-inspired crease. You definitely can't make out the headlights and grille. They're just blurs.

The decent shot of the rear leads me to believe this car will appear more upscale than the current LaCrosse or Lucerne. The interior appears completely intact. That's where the Enclave comparisons are justified. GMNA needs better cars and more of them... many more. This is one of them.

Give the GME hate a rest. At least keep it out of the Buick forum. You can say and do all you want in the Pontiac Forum which has turned into nothing but hate topic after hate topic about GME... Nothing but a pure bash-fest.

I won't allow that to poison the Buick Forum also.

So you're going to tell me to omit my opinion because you don't like it and are the almighty admin of the Buick forum?

Okay...

I'll leave it at that.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

One thing that's cool.. electronic parking brake.

One thing I can't stand... the numbers in the speedo/tachometer... I hate when they go around the circle at different angles... I prefer all my numbers to be upright/vertical.

So you're going to tell me to omit my opinion because you don't like it and are the almighty admin of the Buick forum?

Okay...

I'll leave it at that.

Whatever... This topic is about the LaCrosse replacement... twist it as you may for your own vendetta, but this car will not be sold in Europe and was designed by US and Chinese design centers... so how is GME responsible again?????!!!!! There's a difference between platform engineering and styling/design.

The story of GM's Chinese-based design team is certainly a rags to riches one that will culminate in the next few years with PATAC's designing the world's next Buick LaCrosse, due out in 2008 or 2009. As is the custom at GM these days, design chief Ed Welburn pitted his 11 design centers from around the world against each other for the privilege of penning the next LaCrosse. The favored North American team and the underdog Chinese team were clear favorites with the majority of good ideas, so Welburn chose to have both work on the design. The North American team will handle the exterior, while the smaller Chinese team will design the interior. The Chinese designers, though, will also have significant input on the car's exterior since it's expected that China will quickly be Buick's biggest market worldwide.

If I'm suppressing your hate soooo much, just start a topic (well... another topic) dedicated to bashing GME and everything about it... but the styling of the car in the spy pic (which is what this topic is about) has nothing to do with GME. That so-called ugly generic SOB is the fault of American designers.

>>"One thing that's cool.. electronic parking brake."<<

Why, exactly, is this 'cool' ?

I hate the big brake pedal you have to lift your left leg up high (I have long legs) to engage, and the hand brake usually takes up a lot of space in the console area.

I hate the big brake pedal you have to lift your left leg up high (I have long legs) to engage, and the hand brake usually takes up a lot of space in the console area.

Yes, electric parking brakes are indeed a big improvement. In manuals they keep you from rolling backwards on hills.

Lord almighty... what a sad, anti-climactic product launch.

GM might as well put a pillow over Buicks' face in th middle of the night. <_<

Like Moltar said though, what did we epect styling wise when it's just

another FWD cookie cutter POS. The fact that Buick is not getting

any products off zeta, not even one... it's disgusting.

GM should be ashamed. :angry:

Look, this car is light-years better than the LaCrosse we have now. Was I expecting something more dramatic? More daring? Yes.

I understand Buick has to appeal to two continents now, and I understand they had to take their time changing products over as to not lose their customers, but this is a bit slower than I had anticipated. The fact of the matter is, this is our last Buick sedan for a while. The Lucerne's replacement was cancelled, so no major changes there. The most I could imagine is a dramatic refresh of the existing Lucerne (which I'll hope for).

Do I like this Buick? Yes. Would I buy one? If it's in my budget, absolutely.

I'm going to wait until I see high-quality production pictures and read specs before I make my final judgment.

>>"I hate the big brake pedal you have to lift your left leg up high (I have long legs) to engage, and the hand brake usually takes up a lot of space in the console area."<<

So there's no more console parking brake handle w/ EB? That's worth it right there, perhaps.

Foot parking brakes are perfectly fine with me. Instead of adding needlessly complicated electronics to a simple mechanical assembly, engineers should design a system where the pedal travel is 'geared up' and thusly doesn't have to move as far. Simple and never burns out.

>>"I hate the big brake pedal you have to lift your left leg up high (I have long legs) to engage, and the hand brake usually takes up a lot of space in the console area."<<

So there's no more console parking brake handle w/ EB? That's worth it right there, perhaps.

Foot parking brakes are perfectly fine with me. Instead of adding needlessly complicated electronics to a simple mechanical assembly, engineers should design a system where the pedal travel is 'geared up' and thusly doesn't have to move as far. Simple and never burns out.

Foot parking brakes with a hand release are ok, but the ones that don't have one are a pain to use if you are parked on a hill w/ a manual..(though I normally never park on a hill).

Look, this car is light-years better than the LaCrosse we have now. Was I expecting something more dramatic? More daring? Yes.

I understand Buick has to appeal to two continents now, and I understand they had to take their time changing products over as to not lose their customers, but this is a bit slower than I had anticipated. The fact of the matter is, this is our last Buick sedan for a while. The Lucerne's replacement was cancelled, so no major changes there. The most I could imagine is a dramatic refresh of the existing Lucerne (which I'll hope for).

I haven't heard if G-platform production has been extended. As far as my knowledge it hasn't. Hamtramck has product already pending to replace the G-Platform... one of them being the VOLT. The chances of the Lucerne living past 2010/2011 are slim to none at the moment.

In a way, this car replaces both the Lucerne & LaCrosse... and in a way it doesn't. This vehicle is in an entirely different class. It's a near-luxury midsize sedan. It'll replace the Lucerne in form of technology, features, and sophistication... it'll replace the LaCrosse in size. It will more than likely overlap both of them in price.

I still have reason to expect another sedan to debut shortly after the demise of Lucerne, but for it to be smaller than the Invicta/LaCrosse... not larger.

Don’t forget, they’re already working on the next gen Enclave too.

So the Lucerne and DTS are dead? If GM is getting out of this segment all together that is stupid. But reading between the lines would make one assume so since the Zeta Buick and Caddy are dead. So what is left a very large Ep based sedan? I can only hope and it better have a V8.

I was never in favor of a Zeta Impala no matter how cool it could be. But Pontiac needed the G8 a no brainer, Buick a Park Ave even if they import the one made for China so be it. (They get our Enclave can't we have there PA?) Caddillac didn't need one with the STS just a revamped verison of that in a few years would be nice. Then keep the large FWD DTS/Lucerne and give them the redesign then need on a new/well updated platform weather it be the EP II (a longer verison) or the a new G.

Edited by gm4life

So the Lucerne and DTS are dead? If GM is getting out of this segment all together that is stupid. But reading between the lines would make one assume so since the Zeta Buick and Caddy are dead. So what is left a very large Ep based sedan? I can only hope and it better have a V8.

Why put a V8 in a front drive car? 275 hp is about the limit to front drive cars without massive torque steer, they can get 300 hp from a V6, no need for a V8 in anything front drive. Plus the heavier engine messes up the already bad weight balance.

I haven't heard if G-platform production has been extended. As far as my knowledge it hasn't. Hamtramck has product already pending to replace the G-Platform... one of them being the VOLT. The chances of the Lucerne living past 2010/2011 are slim to none at the moment.

In a way, this car replaces both the Lucerne & LaCrosse... and in a way it doesn't. This vehicle is in an entirely different class. It's a near-luxury midsize sedan. It'll replace the Lucerne in form of technology, features, and sophistication... it'll replace the LaCrosse in size. It will more than likely overlap both of them in price.

I still have reason to expect another sedan to debut shortly after the demise of Lucerne, but for it to be smaller than the Invicta/LaCrosse... not larger.

Don’t forget, they’re already working on the next gen Enclave too.

What kills me is, Buick will be for some time: LaCrosse and Enclave. That's it, 2 vehicles. That's pretty sad.

What kills me is, Buick will be for some time: LaCrosse and Enclave. That's it, 2 vehicles. That's pretty sad.

Which is why I thought 2 years ago they should let Buick die off, sell Saab and Hummer, and put the money into Cadillac. Instead we have dated Saabs, dated Buicks, and the CTS as the only competitive Cadillac, th rest are dated. None of GM's brands will be all that competitive when they half ass the products for them.

BPG should not die trust me. Hummer should go. I'd let Saturn hang around and hope with a new line-up sales can get closer to Pontiac levels (yeah right) if not met then kill 'em and buy out the few Saturn dealers there are. As for Saab it will stay because they are big in Europe. A new SUV and 9-5 wouldn't hurt GM.

BPG should not die trust me. Hummer should go. I'd let Saturn hang around and hope with a new line-up sales can get closer to Pontiac levels (yeah right) if not met then kill 'em and buy out the few Saturn dealers there are. As for Saab it will stay because they are big in Europe. A new SUV and 9-5 wouldn't hurt GM.

The thing is, in Europe, Saab only has 2 models--the 9-3 and the ancient 9-5...how big can they really be there?

Whatever... This topic is about the LaCrosse replacement... twist it as you may for your own vendetta, but this car will not be sold in Europe and was designed by US and Chinese design centers... so how is GME responsible again?????!!!!! There's a difference between platform engineering and styling/design.

If I'm suppressing your hate soooo much, just start a topic (well... another topic) dedicated to bashing GME and everything about it... but the styling of the car in the spy pic (which is what this topic is about) has nothing to do with GME. That so-called ugly generic SOB is the fault of American designers.

I know your motivation

Don't come on here and single me out just because I make you insecure.

And like I said, I'll leave it at that.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think Buick in the U.S. would be okay with the following reduced lineup:

* SWB Epsilon II based compact sedan (A Buick compact sedan should really have an IRS, that's why I would choose SWB Epsilon II over Delta II; maybe revive the "Regal" name in the U.S.?).

* LWB Epsilon II based midsize sedan (The LaCrosse replacement based on the Invicta Concept; hopefully revives the "Invicta" name in the U.S.).

* "Riviera" coupe based on LWB Epsilon II.

* Sub-Enclave Theta based compact/midsize crossover (Next gen "Rendezvous" with mini-Enclave styling).

* "Enclave"

That is all I think they would need in the U.S. A small, well executed lineup of FWD luxury products.

I would still like to see Buick combined with Cadillac in the luxury dealer network. Buick's lineup would complement Cadillac's product portfolio of RWD luxury cars (As much as I like the styling of the next gen SRX, I still don't think Cadillac should be focusing on FWD based crossovers). Cadillac's lineup would consist of well executed, top-tier luxury sedans, coupes, retractable hardtops, and wagons.

Edited by cire

I'll grab my 2011 Camaro SS convertible and say B-Bye to any hope of GM surviving.

Can't say much, but Walt is on to something there......

I know your motivation

Don't come on here and single me out just because I make you insecure.

And like I said, I'll leave it at that.

I don't take orders very well either FOG.

Either drop it (as you've now said twice) or admit you were completely incorrect by blaming GME for LaCrosse's styling... your vendetta has no place with Buick... Opel, SAAB, Saturn, Pontiac... sure... Buick, no.

Again, don't bring it in here. 2nd time telling you so.

Naw, there'll be something else. What happened to making Buick NA = Buick China. Buick China has more than two models, so when they get something new, maybe we will too.

Naw, there'll be something else. What happened to making Buick NA = Buick China. Buick China has more than two models, so when they get something new, maybe we will too.

Yep Yep... That's why I think the Delta II Buick is heading our way. :scratchchin:

Which is why I thought 2 years ago they should let Buick die off, sell Saab and Hummer, and put the money into Cadillac. Instead we have dated Saabs, dated Buicks, and the CTS as the only competitive Cadillac, th rest are dated. None of GM's brands will be all that competitive when they half ass the products for them.

I think Buick still has some potential for growth if GM would properly execute the brand's products. I still think there is a market (here and definitely abroad) for FWD based near luxury products with understated, elegant styling. It's a smaller niche here than abroad, but I think it's a niche that Buick is perfectly suited to handle. If the brand is gaining popularity in China (which is a rapidly growing market) and GM already spends the money to develop the products for that market, then I don't see much harm in continuing the brand with an abbreviated lineup here (and I still think it should be combined with Cadillac). I don't think it would be wise to give up on them just yet.

To me, Pontiac is a bigger waste of resources in its current form. Why spend money to market a brand that basically targets the same affordable portion of the market as Chevy? Unless GM really has a plan up its sleeve to make this brand over (which I seriously doubt at this point), why keep spending money to market it when most of its products are either redundant rebadges or could be sold just as effectively by other brands?:

* The G3/Wave, G5, and Torrent are all unnecessary rebadges of Chevy products and could be discontinued.

* The G6 Sedan is outclassed by its Malibu/Aura platform mates and could be discontinued. The G6 Coupe could be sold as a Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The G6 Convertible could be replaced by a "TwinTop" coupe version of the Opel Insignia if GM were smart enough to create it and sell it here as an Opel Insignia.

* The G8 Sedan could replace the current FWD Chevy Impala. The G8 ST (if GM still insists on importing the Ute) could be badged as a Chevrolet El Camino.

* The Sky outsells the Solstice and is aligned with the global product sold abroad by other GM brands, so I would definitely keep it instead of the Solstice. A luxury retractable hardtop platform mate could then be developed for Cadillac.

* If GM is somehow contractually bound to coproduce the Vibe with Toyota, then it could also be badged as a Chevy just like the coproduced Prism before it.

I think that Saturn is miscast as a captive import division for Opel products. If GM wants to sell Opels over here (which I don't think is a bad idea; they could be real import fighters if marketed properly), then they should sell them here as Opels. Since Opel doesn't have the market baggage of Saturn or Pontiac, I think it would give GM a solid chance to properly mold and market a division to target those who generally gravitate toward import brands. Opel could take over for both Pontiac and Saturn in the U.S as a single import fighter division. The development money has already been spent to create these products for Europe, so why not build them over here and market them under a name that could be molded to represent premium Euro sourced products to U.S. buyers.

If GM plans on keeping Saab (which I still think might be a somewhat questionable move), then it should be combined with Opel to form a Euro focused division.

As far as GMC, I say relegate it to commercial fleet sales or make it the corporation's sole truck/SUV division and combine it with Chevrolet (which would still carry affordable, mainstream cars/crossovers + the Camaro & Corvette).

Hummer needs to be sold. GM doesn't need to waste its resources on a brand that will be an incredibly small niche player in the future. If GM wants to build a Wrangler competitor (the proposed H4 brand saver product which is so NOT a priority at the moment), then GMC can sell it.

Chevrolet, Opel, Saab, Buick, and Cadillac are all global brands that could also be shaped to target specific parts of the market in the U.S. GMC (which is also active in the Middle East) still has value as either the sole truck/SUV division or a commercial fleet vehicle sales only division or both. Saturn and Pontiac are both restricted to North America only and waste marketing dollars for the corporation by targeting the same affordable portion of the market as Chevrolet. Hummer is more valuable to GM as a commodity to sell to generate revenue. To me, the idea setup for GM's U.S. operations would be Chevrolet/GMC (affordable, mainstream), Opel/Saab (import focused), and Buick/Cadillac (luxury).

Edited by cire

Yep Yep... That's why I think the Delta II Buick is heading our way. :scratchchin:

I feel that too. A well done premium compact car could do very well for Buick. It's probably the best home for a Delta II car in BPG.

As for the C&D article, that pic is nothing short of terrible. It's grainy, in poor light, and possibly out of proportion. I won't judge the car on this photo, becaue my gut reaction when I first saw it was, "A Buick Aveo?" Wait for the car first, I think we will be pleased.

Can't say much, but Walt is on to something there......

It says LaCrosse on the trunk... I can't imagine this would be anything else.

And Dave..... ? :scratchchin:

I'll chime in agreement with the fact that this is just a poor photo of either a pre-production model that is not completely put together or more likely, a base model. It looks contented down, the interior has cheaper materials than other spy photos we have seen. This car is so close to the concept, and every other spy photo that we have seen, that it seems absurd for everyone to go over the deep end. Let's wait and see what it looks like when it gets all dressed up for introduction and is photographed properly. I will agree that the headlights have gone down in style, and something other than parts bin, round fog lights would be nice.

Just reading the article makes me wonder how much trust to put in its content:

"In just its third model year since debuting for 2005, the Buick LaCrosse is still a relatively new vehicle. While a freshening was expected—and confirmed earlier this year—for 2009, we weren’t under the impression that Buick’s mid-size sedan was being totally redesigned so soon. However, in light of these leaked photos of a pre-production 2010 LaCrosse, it appears GM has put the car on fast-forward."

Where have Jordan Brown and Car and Driver been the last two years or so while this has been developed. Obviously not seeing the same sources as we have and definitely not reading C&G.

The sad part is that upon looking at the photos more closely, there is what appears to be a LaCROSSE badge on the back. Could be chopped, but. Man, I hate that name.

Edited by InvictaMan