Camino LS6

Phantoms

81 posts in this topic

Phantoms (cars the factory could have built, but didn't) have always been a passion of mine.

One great example would be a 94-96 Impala SS 2-door convertible - a car that would be a major collectible now had it been built IMO.

So, what Phantoms would you like to build if money were not an issue?

- 193(7) 16-cylinder [452 ohv V16] LaSalle Dual Cowl Phaeton

- 1959 Buick Electra 225 Dual Cowl Phaeton, powered by an ALL ALUMINUM 430 cu.in. V16*

- "1997" Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham Coupe HARDTOP with a 6-forward gear automatic trans.

- "1997" Buick Roadmaster 2-door HARDTOP with an LS1, IRS & 6-speed manual

* if you have to ask HOW? about the Motor then you do not belong on a GM forum. :wink:

* if you have to ask HOW? about the Motor then you do not belong on a GM forum. :wink:

*raises hand!!*

oooh! pick me!!!

does it start with a motor desgined by a division with three shields, and used by the arrowhead, and eventually strapped with a turbocharger (to make it a REAL rocket ;) ) used in the early 60's Y Bodies?? maybe two of those motors on a common crank?!?!?!

i often wonder what the the 68-72 nova lineup woulda looked like if it was a full lineup offered when the nova/chevy II lineup in 62? (four door, two door sedan, two door HARDTOP :wub: droptop, and wagon

I'd make an Eldorado like mine that pushed instead of pulled. I would also take a last-gen Riviera like I used to have, black on black, and retrofit it with Grand National engine and drivetrain (also pushing instead of pulling).

How about an Olds '98' built from combining a '90s Roadmaster sedan with the '92-93 Custom Cruiser front end and some Olds style vertical taillights. And how about a 'Starfire' performance version of the same but with a 2dr body and '96 Impala SS drivetrain?

Or how a Pontiac 'Grand Ville' version of the '91-96 Caprice...and a performance Catalina 2+2 version based on a '96 Impala SS.

A 2dr Nomad wagon built from a '91-96 Caprice wagon.

A Mercury Marauder 2dr convertible like the concept car from '03 or so.

A Ford Crown Victoria GT500 with Shelby GT500 engine, transmission, etc.

I've long thought a mid-engined 4th gen Camaro would fun to build...mount the V8 where the back seat is, visible under the glass hatch.

Edited by moltar

>>"...maybe two of those motors on a common crank..."<<

A lil' JB Weld and you're motorvatin' !

Just within B-59s: I love to build a 'Estate Coupe' pickup,

an extended deck Electra 225 with the XP-706 double-bubble rear glass,

and the XP-75 Skylark 2-seat coupe.

The RWD G-body platform would never have been axed.

Chevy Nomad on the Kappa platform.

Lincoln LS V8 coupe

Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan / Lincoln MKZ coupe, Duratec 35 sport models for the Fusion and Milan

I still wonder about the backstory on a phantom I used to see in Ohio...it was a gray '85-86 Buick Electra 4dr stretch--a mild stretch, maybe 4 inches....thicker C-pillars and longer rear doors. Since Ohio used to be home of many professional car makers (Flxbl, S&S, I think were in Ohio) maybe it was built by one of them..

Back in 1990, GM had plans to produce Beretta convertibles, based on the Indy Pace car of that year, GM actually produced about 100 of them.

I watched GM scrap 75 of them. I hear only one escaped that fate.

berettapc4vm4.jpg

2003-2009 Camaro/Firebird, based on the Holden VW architecture.

A V8 option for the S10. (Heck, so many people did their own V8 conversions anyway)

1997+ 2dr Tahoe.

Manual tranny options in V6 N bodies and W bodies

Cobalt convertible

The Nomad

The Bel Air (the revised one)

The Sixteen

The Cien

THe Aura conept, as it was.

The G6 concept, as it iwas

The Velite

the list goes on and on....

Chrysler Airflite, the RWD midsize concept based on a shorted version of LX, as opposed to the FWD craptastic Sebring that tried to emulate it.

Chrysler Firepower. It was completely doable...Viperp latform with the 6.1L Hemi...would have made a great GT replacement for the Crossfire.

I'd make an Eldorado like mine that pushed instead of pulled. I would also take a last-gen Riviera like I used to have, black on black, and retrofit it with Grand National engine and drivetrain (also pushing instead of pulling).

I always liked these two ideas, not outrageously creative

but a solid idea of making 1+1 = > 2. RWD would make

the already cool 95-99 G-body Riviera & gorgeous, sleek,

sharp-dressed '67 Eldo into pure perfection...

Well, so long as it also involved taking a sawzall to the

B-post on the Rivy, installing some rear-side window

regulators, custom cut glass & some fabrication.

Oh, and BTW, you know EVERY good UPS-er knows that

PUSHING IS THE PROPER METHOD OF MOVING LARGE OR

HEAVY OBJECTS!!! NEVER PULLING!!!

PULLING PRODUCES EXCESS STRAIN ON THE BACK,

JOINTS, MUSCLES & WASTES ENERGY.*

So in that vein I guess it's about time everything except

for the Mini, Civic, Aveo & other econoboxes convert to

RWD, it's for everyones good!

* that's straight out the UPS (pre-loader)

"methods handbook", based on 101 years of service. :AH-HA_wink:

1997+ 2dr Tahoe.

Chevy Tahoe 2-door SUVs were produced until 1999 (GMC stopped producing the Yukon 2-door in 1997).

I would have loved to see the traditional full-size 2-door SUV remain in the line-up, especially with the 2000 redesign (GM explored this concept, producing 3 red Tahoe 2-doors, in addition to the K-5 Blazer concept truck of 2001). Here are two pictures for proof:

tahoe_2.jpg

tahoe_2dr_21.jpg

And it's story can be found here: click!

And due to the 2-door's popularity much further south, Dodge did bring back the RamCharger for Mexico only in 2000:

00ramcharger002.jpg

The HSC was pretty cool... nothing earth shattering.

Something along those lines, esp. stylistically,

should have replaced the NSX in like 1997 or 1999.

I'd focus more on engine swaps or doing bolt-on projects, stuff that seems to naturally lend to the host car, more so than such sacrilege as converting fronties to rear-drive or putting the exterior under the knife.

I'll post my examples later on.

I'd focus more on engine swaps or doing bolt-on projects, stuff that seems to naturally lend to the host car, more so than such sacrilege as converting fronties to rear-drive or putting the exterior under the knife.

That's not sacrilege.... FWD is sacrilege!

That's not sacrilege.... FWD is sacrilege!

How about converting RWD to FWD? That would be a bold move..... imagine....converting a 4th gen Camaro to be a FWD turbo 4! :)

(No more insane than some of the other ideas here.. )

How about converting RWD to FWD? That would be a bold move..... imagine....converting a 4th gen Camaro to be a FWD turbo 4! :)

(No more insane than some of the other ideas here.. )

Excuse me for a sec... I think, eww... I just threw up in mouth a little bit!

I think some of you are missing the point here just a bit. A Phantom isn't just an engine swap, it isn't a full-on custom (changing the drive wheels etc.), and it isn't a concept car brought to life (unless it is on a production platform.

These would be Phantoms:

A 2-door Tahoe

A convertible GTO

a G8 coupe

A Solstice sedan

A '72 Chevelle sedan delivery

A Mustang wagon

and so on...

I would also make a proper two-door panel truck of my generation of Suburban ('73-'91), as well as a two-door barn door K5 Blazer from this generation.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead