Official production Volt photo's

BuddyP

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That interior looks fantastic!

I don't like the door cut lines either, I hate it when there's that pit of painted sheet metal above the windows that's still part of the door. But otherwise it looks very nice.

That looks SO MUCH BETTER than either Toyota's or Honda's auto's. :D That baby is HOT HOT HOT.

Sadly, I wish they could get it here sooner than Nov 2010. :(

BUT WE ARE IN THE GAME! Go GM!!! GO :P

It looks so much better when GM executives aren't hogging the camera.

That's a sweet interior.

What are you trying to say about GM executives? Not all of us have a size 60" waist. :smilewide:

I love the interior, however I like the show car exterior more. Yes I know it was as aerodynamic as a Mac Truck, but it had a way cooler image, and isn't that why 50% of the people buy cars, for the image?

In any event if/when I get back to the US, I may even buy one for Mrs. PCS.

Couple of things I noticed from the pics of the interior.

thumb800x800_2863063092_3aa849ed13_o.jpg

1. There are phone answer / hang up buttons on the steering wheel.

2. Next to the phone buttons is a some kind of wheel. With Volume controls next to that.

3. There is no 3.5 mm jack visible in the photos. How do we hook up an iPod/iPhone? Perhaps they've done it right this time an have iPod control in this vehicle?

4. There are record and delete buttons on the center stack. Press release says this is for navigation as well as to record music to it.

5. The center display says 82% charge and 27 miles range. That equals to about 3 miles a percent or 33 mile range on EV, however the press release says 40 miles.

6. The left side of the steering wheel has what appears to be adaptive cruise control.

7. Everything appears to be touch including the door panel controls for the windows and locks.

the interior is a showpiece and a great testament to GM's new design focus. the exterior also showcases this through phenomonal lighting tricks that are unique and go the step above, great surfacing, great lines, great attention to detail. it's not forward thinking enough in concept, in staying true to the concept, and grafting a more aerodynamic shape, it went too far in the direction of Honda and Toyota's current looks on their upscale models. But will people care enough to notice, and will this effect remain once the car is viewed in person in the context of its own unique proportions. it's a job well done, and looks the part of a $30,000 electric propolusion car. GM better figure out how to market this thing, how to make a lot of them, and how to price it around there. they would be stupid not to [i am expecting pure stupidity and bungling on thier part]

3. There is no 3.5 mm jack visible in the photos. How do we hook up an iPod/iPhone? Perhaps they've done it right this time an have iPod control in this vehicle?

Probably has iPod or USB and aux 3.5mm inputs in glove box or center console.

For example: (not Volt)

tsxauxinput.jpg

5. The center display says 82% charge and 27 miles range. That equals to about 3 miles a percent or 33 mile range on EV, however the press release says 40 miles.

They might have a buffer or reserve factored in. It will be interesting to read the autorag reviews of the car when it comes out, and see how many actual miles they can travel before the gas engine kicks in.

Edited by siegen

They might have a buffer or reserve factored in. It will be interesting to read the autorag reviews of the car when it comes out, and see how many actual miles they can travel before the gas engine kicks in.

Yes, the Volt starts the gas engine when the battery is at 30%. However the picture in question actually says 82 degrees F, not 82%, so I don't think we can read a lot into this. Also, if you look at the screen behind the wheel the battery indicator shows ~3/4 full.

GM apparently confirmed today that the 40 mile range quoted is for city. Based on the mitsu electric vehicle city/highway range that is know, we can expect the Volt's highway range to be 30 or less. I also suspect that these ranges are with the AC and heater off and with a warm start.

Edited by GXT

Now THAT'S how you do an interior, GM! Love that they aped Apple's whole iPod control scheme here...are they the first? Why hasn't anyone else done that?

My only gripe is that the shifter treatment seems to rob the center stack of storage. Is this really necessary?

Edited by Croc

Now THAT'S how you do an interior, GM! Love that they aped Apple's whole iPod control scheme here...are they the first? Why hasn't anyone else done that?

Because it is impractical in terms of maintenance and looks horrible?

I'd prefer that "glossy black piano" finish for looks if I was going to have to suffer with keeping something clean.

Because it is impractical in terms of maintenance and looks horrible?

I'd prefer that "glossy black piano" finish for looks if I was going to have to suffer with keeping something clean.

How is it bad for maintanence? I'd assume since there aren't individual buttons, it would be EASIER for maintanence.

I'm liking the exterior, especially in those darker colors. The interior I'm not sure about - the molded white plastic stuff looks like a knockoff Apple product, and the display graphics and font seem rudimentary. Maybe the people at SEMA will develop a better looking iPhone-like interface.

Still, I give it a 9 out of 10 for still resembling the concept car.

Edited by empowah

One neat exterior detail I read is that the power cord plugs in on either side, in front of the mirrors (behind the Volt logo?). Apparently, it can plug into 120 or 240... I wonder if the power cords are like a laptop with the big rectangular thingy that gets hot.

Couple of things I noticed from the pics of the interior..

Maybe it's under the tab that says Volt with some sort of icon on it to the left of the 'shifter' thingy

I wonder why the leaf is on opposite sides of the two interior pics?

The one with the leaf on the right (I think) looks like a mock-up, since the CD slot isn't even open. You can also see that the "econ/sport" mode in the mock-up becane "econ/hold."

I'm liking the exterior, especially in those darker colors. The interior I'm not sure about - the molded white plastic stuff looks like a knockoff Apple product, and the display graphics and font seem rudimentary. Maybe the people at SEMA will develop a better looking iPhone-like interface.

Still, I give it a 9 out of 10 for still resembling the concept car.

From Auto Blog http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/16/video-w...-volt-interior/.

The center stack draws a lot of attention for its shape, unique touch interface and bright white surfacing. Volt buyers will be able to choose from several colors for the center stack, however, including white, metallic black, and even green. The gear shifter fits right into the center stack and pulls out to put the Volt into reverse, neutral or drive. The Volt is also keyless, and the driver needs only the key fob in his pocket to start the electric motor.

I'm with the other people who have said the Volt looks great in darker colors. In the silver-green paint GM is showing the production Volt in, the design looks busy and flawed and maybe even a little on the cheap side.

Maybe it's under the tab that says Volt with some sort of icon on it to the left of the 'shifter' thingy.

I actually think that's the ignition button.

How is it bad for maintanence? I'd assume since there aren't individual buttons, it would be EASIER for maintanence.

Wiping it down should be easy, which is good because I assume one would have to do that a lot.

What I am interested to know is how hard it will be to find buttons. Things could get really messy if you have to slide your hand all over it for lack of button outlines.