Official production Volt photo's

BuddyP

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That interior is absolutely cool! Although I think it is a little busy, it'll definitely appeal to the nerd in all of us; the 'iPod' comments are bang on.

Yes..the Volt could supplant the Prius as the hip geek's car of choice... I know plenty of computer geeks that buy Priuses not just to be green, but for the technology..

Very,very, nicely done.

While I do miss the aggressive style of the concept, the insanely excellent detailing saves the design.

Now about that coupe...

A coupe could be cool... a small MPV would be nice also...strangely, no one is doing hybird or electric MPVs or minivans in NA yet..

This is not a insight or Traditional Hybrid. This builds on the EV-1 knowledge and adds a way to power the motor and charge the batteries with a small combustion engine. This is a different idea that will exploit the Billion Dollar investment of the 90's that resulted in a good car that nobody (but Ed Begley Jr.) wanted. This erases the range issue. It's the electric car for the rest of us!

One neat exterior detail I read is that the power cord plugs in on either side, in front of the mirrors (behind the Volt logo?). Apparently, it can plug into 120 or 240... I wonder if the power cords are like a laptop with the big rectangular thingy that gets hot.

The second plug was cut. It only plugs in on the driver's side. But two plugs were not really needed.

The second plug was cut. It only plugs in on the driver's side. But two plugs were not really needed.

That's too bad...I thought the reason for one the right side was so you could plug it in if you didn't have an outlet close to the left side..

This is not a insight or Traditional Hybrid. This builds on the EV-1 knowledge and adds a way to power the motor and charge the batteries with a small combustion engine. This is a different idea that will exploit the Billion Dollar investment of the 90's that resulted in a good car that nobody (but Ed Begley Jr.) wanted. This erases the range issue.

It also erases many of the advantages of an electric car.

Based on some of the quotes that GM has given about things they had to "learn" about electric cars (drag vs weight, stereos use power, etc.), if there was any EV-1 transfer it was minimal.

It's the electric car for the rest of us!

What does that even mean? Price and availability mean this will be the half-electric-car for the very few.

That's too bad...I thought the reason for one the right side was so you could plug it in if you didn't have an outlet close to the left side..

In the end it only requires an extra few feet of cord. What is good about having it on the drivers side is that you can be sure the driver won't end up having to walk around the car to unplug it.

What is bad is that those of us with garages where we only park a foot or two away from the driver's side wall will now have to contend with a cord in our way.

Wiping it down should be easy, which is good because I assume one would have to do that a lot.

What I am interested to know is how hard it will be to find buttons. Things could get really messy if you have to slide your hand all over it for lack of button outlines.

Press where the backlighting is? Shouldn't be too difficult.

Looks great. Absolutely great. I do wish that GM had not Camaroed this by releasing every bit of info on the car 2 years before it's set to make it's debut, gives other manufacturers the opportunity to pounce on the idea as well. Well, GM's aggressive design direction is miles ahead of Toyota's bloated bumblebee styling and Honda's robot-esque looks. Love the car. My commute is 15 miles one way, 15 miles back. I wouldn't use any gas...ever save for road trips. Now...what's the price gonna be?

You actually look off the road to adjust your stereo, HVAC, etc.?

That's what I wondered about, looking at the pics...when I've driven a car for a while, I can operate all the switches/buttons/etc by feel and placement without looking at them...and they are all different in shape and function, for the most part..rotary dials for HVAC, etc..

That's what I wondered about, looking at the pics...when I've driven a car for a while, I can operate all the switches/buttons/etc by feel and placement without looking at them...and they are all different in shape and function, for the most part..rotary dials for HVAC, etc..

You have stereo controls on the steering wheel, so that should be a moot point. Furthermore, HVAC controls aren't used that often, so it can't be that big a deal to look away and operate them once in a while. Plus, it probably wouldn't take long to get used to all (not that there are that many) the button locations.

Just out of curiosity... what are your opinions on touch screen NAV units?

Yeah...drive away and it shuts down...I wonder what 'teh fail' mode for these is?

Um, I believe that would be "the engine runs". I haven't ready anything that indicates that you HAVE to plug it in, you just don't get the added benefits of the 40 miles of all-electric driving BEFORE the motor kicks on...

What is bad is that those of us with garages where we only park a foot or two away from the driver's side wall will now have to contend with a cord in our way.

If that is a genuine irritant, then I'm going to laugh. I've been plugging in my Diesel truck for a few years, and I have yet to 'contend' with the cord every time I walk over it.

if plug-in's become popular, and given general electricity demand forecast to grow, I hope the power grid is getting a big upgrade soon, because there could be some major problems in the near future

That's a valid point. Also, does the Volt contribute to reducing pollution/greenhouse gas emissions, or does it transfer the responsibility of the emissions to the utilities sector?

You have stereo controls on the steering wheel, so that should be a moot point. Furthermore, HVAC controls aren't used that often, so it can't be that big a deal to look away and operate them once in a while. Plus, it probably wouldn't take long to get used to all (not that there are that many) the button locations.

Just out of curiosity... what are your opinions on touch screen NAV units?

I haven't had a car with a NAV unit yet. I can read maps (and print out directions from google maps before going somewhere unfamiliar). Though most likely, my next car will have a NAV unit.

If that is a genuine irritant, then I'm going to laugh. I've been plugging in my Diesel truck for a few years, and I have yet to 'contend' with the cord every time I walk over it.

You'll have to see a picture of the Volt plug before laughing... it sticks out farther than a conventional plug. If you have a tight park then it will be an issue.

I can't say I've had to content with anything like it as every plug I've had on any of my cars was where it should be; on the front.

For certain functions, yes. Volume, seek forward, programmed radio stations, fan speed, and temp are all redundant on the steering wheel. Anything other than that and I have to glance down briefly. I certainly wouldn't classify it as any more "taking my eyes off the road" than when checking one's mirrors.

It just struck me as an example of form over function. Perhaps I would feel better about it if the "form" portion didn't look so bad.

One of the reasons the iPod works well because it has so few buttons. And even at that it does have the "circle" to give the user a tactile indication of what button they are touching.

I think it will be hard to get used to those button locations (without taking your eyes off the road) as seems to give no good tactile feedback.

I guess we will see.

For certain functions, yes. Volume, seek forward, programmed radio stations, fan speed, and temp are all redundant on the steering wheel. Anything other than that and I have to glance down briefly. I certainly wouldn't classify it as any more "taking my eyes off the road" than when checking one's mirrors.

I see. Well with the car of today (and certainly the car of the future) you shouldn't need to to that.

Maybe it will have voice recognition to compensate.

I wouldn't exactly call anything about this car's styling aggressive. It is for the most part ordinary.

The front end is relatively aggressive, and the side and rear are certainly not ordinary. Overall, it may not look all that aggressive, but compared to the Prius it certainly has a lot more pizazz. It is a distinctive design that doesn't rely on oddities like the Prius to look distinctive.

The front end is relatively aggressive, and the side and rear are certainly not ordinary. Overall, it may not look all that aggressive, but compared to the Prius it certainly has a lot more pizazz. It is a distinctive design that doesn't rely on oddities like the Prius to look distinctive.

Everything looks great compared to the Prius.

if plug-in's become popular, and given general electricity demand forecast to grow, I hope the power grid is getting a big upgrade soon, because there could be some major problems in the near future

From GM Media Online:

The Chevrolet Volt can be plugged either into a standard household 120v outlet or use 240v for charging. The vehicle's intelligent charging technology enables the Volt's battery to be charged in less than three hours on a 240v outlet or about eight hours on a 120v outlet. Charge times are reduced if the battery has not been fully depleted. At a cost of about 80 cents per day (10 cents per kWh) for a full charge that will deliver up to 40 miles of electric driving, GM estimates that the Volt will be less expensive to recharge than purchasing a cup of your favorite coffee. Charging the Volt about once daily will consume less electric energy annually than the average home's refrigerator and freezer units.

-RBB

From GM Media Online:

The Chevrolet Volt can be plugged either into a standard household 120v outlet or use 240v for charging. The vehicle's intelligent charging technology enables the Volt's battery to be charged in less than three hours on a 240v outlet or about eight hours on a 120v outlet. Charge times are reduced if the battery has not been fully depleted. At a cost of about 80 cents per day (10 cents per kWh) for a full charge that will deliver up to 40 miles of electric driving, GM estimates that the Volt will be less expensive to recharge than purchasing a cup of your favorite coffee. Charging the Volt about once daily will consume less electric energy annually than the average home's refrigerator and freezer units.

-RBB

Like many other things about the Volt, that is misleading bordering on lying.

The average fridge from 2004 uses 465 kW/year (411 if Energy Star) and the average freezer 344kW. The Volt would use 2920kW (8kW * 365 days). That is over 400% more electricity required for the Volt than a fridge and a freezer. Even if you had appliances from 1984 the Volt would still use 30% more energy.

http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/equipment/english/page16.cfm

I guess the average home has 4 fridges and 3 freezers.

Either way, meaningful comparison GM. Meaningful comparison. So what were you saying about 40 miles of range again?

Edited by GXT

What happens if you don't use the engine for a really long time? I mean, supposed you are able to run on purely electric for a couple of years and one day you're in need to go farther--would the engine just start right up or would there be a problem?

What happens if you don't use the engine for a really long time? I mean, supposed you are able to run on purely electric for a couple of years and one day you're in need to go farther--would the engine just start right up or would there be a problem?

I think GM has designed it to occasionally start the engine to make sure there aren't problems with prolonged down-time.

To me it seems like a refreshed concept still. I guess we will see. other than that this should have replaced the cobalt design wise.

All i seem to think about with these electric silent cars is how easy it would be to sneak home at night. My First 2 cars 69 Satellite and 69 Mach 1 mustang were both really loud. I remember about a block or 2 before my house just opening it up popping it in neutral and shutting it off and coast in front of my house to sneak in.

I think GM has designed it to occasionally start the engine to make sure there aren't problems with prolonged down-time.

To me it seems like a refreshed concept still. I guess we will see. other than that this should have replaced the cobalt design wise.

All i seem to think about with these electric silent cars is how easy it would be to sneak home at night. My First 2 cars 69 Satellite and 69 Mach 1 mustang were both really loud. I remember about a block or 2 before my house just opening it up popping it in neutral and shutting it off and coast in front of my house to sneak in.

I also believe that's part of the reason for the smaller gas tank size. Gas might sit so long in the tank that it'll go bad.

More Voltage can be found here

Depending on where your power source is, dual plugs could have come in handy.

And it bears a vague resemblance to the Civic at some angles, but I do like the headlights/fog lights.

Depending on where your power source is, dual plugs could have come in handy.

I agree. But what is it actually worth? I know we have been treating this car as if "money were no object", but money is an object and this car is apparently already too expensive.

I think it would have been better if the plug were in the front.

Plus two plugs would allow someone to syphon your electricity while you are charging. ;)

I see. Well with the car of today (and certainly the car of the future) you shouldn't need to to that.

Maybe it will have voice recognition to compensate.

Shouldn't need to do what, glance away from the front windshield for a millisecond? Doesn't really bother me. I'm also not a fan of voice recognition as IMO it never works as well as it is advertised, and it means having to talk. When I'm by myself, the only speech I want to hear is what's coming through on Jonesy's Jukebox.

I like how they took some elements of the Malibu interior, but with a more high tech look. The white center console reminds me of Apple iPods, iPhones, etc which is a good thing. The interior would be really good for a car around $25-27k like a Prius, but at $40k, I don't know. Exterior looks awkward and too much like a civic and the trunk seems high, not liking the exterior, but like the interior.

I'm thinking of another usage problem: what I if I live in a building and my car is left in the underground parking? How am I supposed to charge it?

Find a long extension cord...:) I once had an apartment in a building w/ underground parking, and I don't recall seeing many power outlets around.

Shouldn't need to do what, glance away from the front windshield for a millisecond? Doesn't really bother me. I'm also not a fan of voice recognition as IMO it never works as well as it is advertised, and it means having to talk. When I'm by myself, the only speech I want to hear is what's coming through on Jonesy's Jukebox.

While it probably isn't an extensive amount of time, I am sure it is measure in at least tenths of a second. While it doesn't bother you, it does increase the chance of an accident and it isn't necessary if the stack is properly designed.

From gm-volt.com:

The controls on the center panel are “capacitive touch controls”. They engage by detecting electric current in the incoming finger which can be detected from a distance. The button will then provide the user audio and visual feedback. There is no haptic feedback. The dashboard glows quite strikingly at night.

So you really will have to look. Even running your hands accross the controls could cause buttons to be selected.