Alright alcoholics, booze hounds, bums, winos and frat boys, we need an alcohol thread, it just seems like the perfect compliment to our sex thread. I'll start: The $3 bottles of wine they sell at Wal-Mart suck majorly. So whats your drink of choice? What do you avoid like the plague?

Beer is disgusting...carbonated piss is what I liken it to.

I like "girly" drinks...you now, the ones that don't taste like ass.

For my 21st birthday my cousin had me try 15 or so various drink mixes and shots. Some were interesting, like the one he called "chocolate cake"

I like kahlua drinks.

Wine is ok.

I'm not big on alcohol...can't remember the last time I had some.

I've got a weird collection of cheap booze in my home office mini-fridge. There are some bottles of Bud Light, some Smirnoff Ice Wild Grape and some Michelob Lager. I just found out that Ruby Tuesday sells Yuengling (which I've heard is fantastic) so I'm going to give it a shot.

Yuengling is a local brew. We're proud of it.

I may have to request you ship some this way. Yuengling is great, but impossible to find out here. On some rare occasions my buddies will get some care packages sent from other forum buddies out of state, and we will all enjoy a good Yuengling. I even asked the local BevMo and apparently they can't even order it.

I think its been mentioned on C&G before, but they dont distribute out here. We've got one good local brewery, most of their beers are good, but they have a lager that once made me sick.

i'm kinda selective on beer i buy.

wine, semisweet or better for to drink more than a few sips.

mixed drinks...had a few, 7&7 is fairly good, Dr morgan is quite good in ~7:3 ratios or so, some ice. tried sex on the beach from another's cup, it was good. jack and coke is fair.

I'm not a big drinker, but there are some drinks i will pay money for. but i've only gotten sick from drinking 1 time, sorta.

Edited by loki

Jack Daniels = good

Four Roses = good

Beer = good as long as it's Corona, Guinness, Heineken

Some Portuguese liquers = good

Portuguese wine = superb

I avoid vodka and mixing two or three different drinks as it effs up my stomach

Edited by ZL-1

Love Yellowtail white wines. In fact, I love a lot of white wine. Red, not so much. Gives me headaches. I've yet to drink a white wine that didn't taste great with a cigarette.

Belvedere is the best vodka hands down, everything else (yes, even Grey Goose) is undrinkable to me.

Love Bombay Saphire gin.

Southern Comfort? Check. I once christened an entire street block off that stuff.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel is my favorite, but I'll drink Maker's Mark on occasion.

Tortuga rum is amazing, as is the rum liqueur. God I miss the Cayman Islands.

Mixed drinks? Love the Long Island. I'm also a fan of variations of it, like instead of the coke, a splash of 7up and Chambord (or just Chambord). Is there a name for this?

Belvedere is the best vodka hands down, everything else (yes, even Grey Goose) is undrinkable to me.

Give Stoli Elite a try, or Jean Marc XO...

Both among the more expensive bottles of Vodka, but they are both very good...Easily the best Vodkas I have tried.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, relatively inexpensive (around $100 or less) Cognac?

I'm looking for something to pair with a Camacho triple maduro, or Partagas black label...

Edited by Nick
Stoli? Yech. Haven't heard of the other one, but anything with XO gives me pause. How about this, I'll try it if I see it?

Definitely don't pass on the stoli. I'm not much for regular Stoli either, but the Elite is very good.

Definitely don't pass on the stoli. I'm not much for regular Stoli either, but the Elite is very good.

We'll file that under the "if I happen to happen upon it" heading, then. I'm really not a vodka drinker though. Really not.

I'm not big on alcohol...can't remember the last time I had some.

I, too, dislike alcohol. I don't know why. I just do. If everyone was like me, Anheuser Busch, Coors and the Napa Valley would have no purpose.

However, I got some bloodwork numbers I didn't like, and the doc gave me 3 months to clean them up. (Actually, they were better from 3 months before that). Therefore, I bought several bottles of red wine at Trader Joe's and, in addition to diet changes, I am now drinking 1 glass of red wine with dinner.

Jim Beam and Diet Pepsi are the drink of choice for me lately. But only at a neighborhood party where I dont have to drive.

I like most stuff other than gin. Bar shots are usually pretty good... beer is ok, but I do get tired of it after a while.

My favorite mixed drink is a shot of vodka and a shot of amaretto mixed with coke, tastes like a Dr. Pepper.

Well, let's see, where to begin? For mixed drinks, I prefer (Bombay Blue Sapphire) gin and tonic. I don't like sweet drinks that much. For beer, I prefer Labatt Ice but this past summer I discovered Bud Light Lime and liked that too. For wine, I like reds and white equally. There are a lot of wineries here in the Finger Lakes area of New York and I like to support the home teams so I try to drink local wines when possible. My favorite white wine is a dry to seim-dry rieslings but un-oaked chardonney is good too. Now, having said all that, I really don't drink a lot. I gave up having headaches and hangovers a very, very long time ago. I also don't like to get drunk because I get really goofy. I'm a far more amusing person when I'm drunk but I don't like to lose control so I don't do that anymore either.

I could give it all up and the only thing I would truly miss, is a nice glass of wine with a good meal.

The ONLY beer I like. I don't drink beer, but whenever I go to one friend's house, he always has a case around.

Everclear straight from the bottle

Nati' Ice

Its always 5 O' Clock some where.

I'm just joking.

Lately Its Bombay Sapphire with anything, I prefer squirt though. and a lot of it.... I need to stop.

Love red wine. Long Island teas, dacquiris.

Good beer i like also.

But since my inlaws drink windsor, and since the big weight loss kick started, oh almost 7 months ago now......its nearly always Windsor and Coke Zero. Not a lot of calories. The COke Zero is far better than diet coke for drink mixing and windsor is not so harsh when compared to other hard liquors. But it will eff you up.

I usually dont like Coke but Coke Zero is pretty good with Canadian Mist. I forgot to mention before I dont drink beer by choice. Only if offered or its free at a party. I am a whiskey lover mainly though I do like Bicardi rum and once in the while a Screwdriver. Bicardi 151 is good if done right but it messes a person up pretty fast.

Is there a taste difference? I just drink whatever comes out of the drink machine at BK or MickeyDs.

nope, they're different and both good. zero tastes closer to classic coke. diet coke is a sweeter taste. both very good. zero is just better with mixed drinks.

Edited by regfootball
I like most stuff other than gin. Bar shots are usually pretty good... beer is ok, but I do get tired of it after a while.

My favorite mixed drink is a shot of vodka and a shot of amaretto mixed with coke, tastes like a Dr. Pepper.

Reminds me of a Flaming Dr. Pepper.

3/4 shot of amaretto

top off the rest of the shot with 151

ignite the shot

drop in a glass of beer and down it.

I've tried it and didn't care for it too much, but my buddies who were doing it swore it tasted like Dr. Pepper.

Edited by Nick
I don't like to drink much atall. I usually get iced tea when I go out to eat. I do like Yellowtail's merlot, though. I should buy another bottle of it.
Reminds me of a Flaming Dr. Pepper.

3/4 shot of amaretto

top off the rest of the shot with 151

ignite the shot

drop in a glass of beer and down it.

I've tried it and didn't care for it too much, but my buddies who were doing it swore it tasted like Dr. Pepper.

A Flaming Dr. Pepper? Hmmm... I much prefer a Flaming Mo.

"...when liquor in a mug, can warm you like a hug, happiness is just a Flaming Mo away..."

....annnnnnd the "Flirt Meter" goes waaaaay off the charts!:)

Yeah, I thought about that, but I know Nick knows The Simpsons which is where it is from.

At my house right now, I have a bottle of Captain Morgan, a bottle of Belvedere, a bottle of Preludio (Argentine wine), and some assorted Bud Lights and Coors Lights left over from other weekends. I pretty much drink anything as far as beer is concerned...light or dark. My favorite dark is Guiness. I'm also a fan of Hornsby's apple cider, and I'm cool with both white and red wine. And yes, LONG ISLANDS ROCK!

Microbrews and Mexican beers for me, and red wine w/ dinner usually (Merlots, Rhones, Cabs). I used to like vodka and Scotch, but very rarely have anything heavy anymore. I do like a mojito occasionally, esp. in hot weather.

Speaking of wine, I want to do a Napa wine tour sometime in the Spring.... I was there briefly one afternoon a few years ago, but want to go back see more. Elsewhere in CA, there is a winery in Paso Robles that I want to visit, mainly because they have my name. (a friend clued me in to them, I've tried their Syrah, quite good).

I like alchohol - but I rarely drink anymore.

Not some decision I made or anything like that, it just faded out of my life for the most part.

I guess that for me, it is an issue of quality over quantity and frequency. I rarely buy beer or other alchohol, but when I do, I like to have the good stuff.

+1 on the Yellowtail and the Yuengling, and The Kahlua.

There is an orange cognac I really like called Royal Montaigne, hard to find but not too expensive.

For beer, I usually prefer Canadian or microbrew.

Off the list permanently is Jack Daniels - we all have our alchoholic nemesis, and that's mine.

I don't care for sweet wines, Southern Comfort, domestic mass-market beers, or most syrupy liquers.

I like alchohol - but I rarely drink anymore.

Not some decision I made or anything like that, it just faded out of my life for the most part.

What's funny is when people I've worked with or friends wanted to go to a "happy hour" that some of the chain "fern" bars put on.

They are borderline pissed at me because I will have a Coke or a Sprite. I go for the FOOD SPECIALS. Since I can't cook to save my life, I love good cheap food. You'd think they'd be happy you went with them, regardless of what you ate and drank.

Also, alcohol is expensive. It cuts into my travel budget.

Yea I don't drink out much because of the cost. $9.50 Long Islander at CPK last night...youch. Got me nice and drunk though.

They go for 11-12 bucks on the actual Long Island. Be grateful for your $9.50 ;)

I HATE Beer with a passion, so I mainly stick to liquor.

My six favorites in order: (drumroll please)

1) Starry Night: This is a little shot (or drink, if you're me) that I stumbled upon this year. It's 50% Goldschlager (chilled) and 50% Jagermeister (room temp) mixed together for a little piece of heaven.

2) Tequila: of any kind. I can do the 'rot gut' cheap stuff all the way up to the high dollar stuff. I don't like it mixed with anything. I don't even like it with salt and a lime. I want it straight and preferably room temperature.

3) Killer Kool-aid: It's a drink that one of the ex-bartenders at my bar used to make me. Basically consists of 7 different types of liquor (All of the house liquors -- Aristocrat, sadly) some grenadine and a splash of Sprite. After about 4-5 pints of that, I was feeling REAL good one night.

4) Patron XO: It's basically tequila that has a hint of coffee taste to it. That's funny, because I hate coffee but love this drink. Served chilled BTW.

5) Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka: It's local thing that the distillery is trying to push across the south. It's Vodka that tastes just like lightly sweetened tea. Basically, you pour a glass 75% full of this stuff and then add water for the other 25%. Best if served on the rocks.

6) Southern Comfort: Good 'ole SoCo. Mix it with the soda of your choice (Dr. Pepper, Ginger Ale or Sprite in my case) and away you go! Funny thing is though, I really don't like the SoCo and Lime thing.

EDIT: There is also an african amaretto that I'm quite fond of. (I have the name written down, but can't remember it) I tried it at a party once but couldn't find it here anywhere. Recently a friend of mine took a trip to Africa for 2 weeks and in the process managed to bring me a bottle back. :cheering:

The area I grew up in has a lot of local breweries. My GF is a beer drinker and could tell you a lot about those, but I can't. Yuengling is HUGE around here (She loves it) as is PBR, (No, she doesn't drink PBR -- We're classy rednecks, lol)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
Yea I don't drink out much because of the cost. $9.50 Long Islander at CPK last night...youch. Got me nice and drunk though.

+1

I'd probably have a longer list of "likes" but my job at the bar only affords me one free drink per night, lol.

No way would I pay some of those prices! The starry night drink that I love is $8.00/shot alone. I can't imagine how much it would take to get me "drunk"

FOG, straight tequila is the greatest thing ever in the history of the world. No salt, no lime, just me and the booze. I haven't had tequila in a long time though, I tend to be the DD, so downing Jose seems like a bad idea.

The area I grew up in has a lot of local breweries. My GF is a beer drinker and could tell you a lot about those, but I can't. Yuengling is HUGE around here (She loves it) as is PBR, (No, she doesn't drink PBR -- We're classy rednecks, lol)

The funny thing about PBR--it's sort of become a trendy hipster beer in recent years... a couple years ago, I used to do happy hour all the time at a Mc Cormick & Schmicks (upscale seafood restaurant) in a trendy office park, and they had PBR in cans! I remember drinking those and eating tasty calamari and oysters.

Phoenix has a few decent microbreweries (Four Peaks, Sonoran) but I miss all the brewpubs of Denver...there is a ton of great beer brewed in the Centennial State..

FOG, straight tequila is the greatest thing ever in the history of the world. No salt, no lime, just me and the booze. I haven't had tequila in a long time though, I tend to be the DD, so downing Jose seems like a bad idea.

Jose is awesome! A lot of people around here tend to think Patron is a lot better, but I can't really tell much of a difference. I mean the Patron is a little smoother but not by much.

Then again, maybe I'm just cheap. :D

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
Jose is awesome! A lot of people around here tend to like Patron is a lot better, but I can't really tell a lot of difference. I mean the Patron is a little smoother but not by much.

Then again, maybe I'm just cheap. :D

Patron isn't worth the extra money. Regular 'ol Cuervo is the best.

The funny thing about PBR--it's sort of become a trendy hipster beer in recent years... a couple years ago, I used to do happy hour all the time at a Mc Cormick & Schmicks (upscale seafood restaurant) in a trendy office park, and they had PBR in cans! I remember drinking those and eating tasty calamari and oysters.

Phoenix has a few decent microbreweries (Four Peaks, Sonoran) but I miss all the brewpubs of Denver...there is a ton of great beer brewed in the Centennial State..

Agreed.

Our bar is in the middle of the arts district that we live in. A lot of people with a lot of money frequent the place and the neighborhood (especially on gallery crawl and concert nights) But two of our biggest sellers are: $1.00 PBR on tap and $3.00 PBR tallboys.

It's especially bad up in the mountains where I was raised. A friend of mine delivers beer for one of the big distributors up there and he said that PBR is one of (if not the) biggest seller. On a funny related note, he drove the truck with the PBR ad painted on the trailer and he used to always complain about college kids and rednecks coming up to him asking for free PBR. :smilewide:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
Patron isn't worth the extra money. Regular 'ol Cuervo is the best.

Fail.

Patron is good, but it is usually among the cheapest I will go with tequilas...Granted, I can usually find it fairly inexpensive.

Milagro select barrel reserve anejo on the other hand...Fantastic.

As long as you aren't above .08 you're good to go.

At my house right now, I have a bottle of Captain Morgan, a bottle of Belvedere, a bottle of Preludio (Argentine wine), and some assorted Bud Lights and Coors Lights left over from other weekends. I pretty much drink anything as far as beer is concerned...light or dark. My favorite dark is Guiness. I'm also a fan of Hornsby's apple cider, and I'm cool with both white and red wine. And yes, LONG ISLANDS ROCK!

wow, for a minute there, the first part of your sentence, i thought you had moved to wisconsin.

but there was nothing in your post about drunken vagrancy and indecent exposure in public and that, and then you said 'cider' and 'red wine'. Whew. that was a close one!

Mmmmm...

Beers: Porters, Stouts, Ales (used to like IPA's, but can't take them anymore), PBR(!), strong ales...

Liquor: Stolichnaya, Crown Royal, dirty martini, Jose Cuervo Family Reserve (like a tequila/whiskey)

Alright alcoholics, booze hounds, bums, winos and frat boys, we need an alcohol thread, it just seems like the perfect compliment to our sex thread. I'll start: The $3 bottles of wine they sell at Wal-Mart suck majorly. So whats your drink of choice? What do you avoid like the plague?

I was a beer and wine fan.

Sometimes I will still have a nice glass of red wine.....usually when out to dinner.

But recently, I've been into tequila. I'm not talking about doing shots......I'm talking about sipping it out of a snifter or something like that. No chaser. No lime.

It kinda worries me because, I can go home after work, and drink it all night long while I'm reading car mags or doing whatever....and I get a pretty good buzz.....but don't get "drunk" from it......and I go to sleep and wake up in the morning with absolutely no hint of a hangover.....in fact, I usually wake up quite bright-eyed and bushy-tailed......and having felt like I had a good sleep....

Could I really have built up THAT good of a tolerance for it...? I still get a really nice buzz off it.....but no hangover!

2) Tequila: of any kind. I can do the 'rot gut' cheap stuff all the way up to the high dollar stuff. I don't like it mixed with anything. I don't even like it with salt and a lime. I want it straight and preferably room temperature.

A man TRULY after my heart!!!!

:alcoholic:

I've always had a love affair with Smirnoff Ice Triple Black. I could never get enough of those. After a dozen or so, I'm usually pretty lively. :P

Otherwise, I like the hard stuff and hate beer with a passion. I have to be far gone before I'll touch beer. Tequila is fun, though, I haven't had any since I had that Mexican exchange student 5 years ago. Rum, Vodka, and Whiskey are all pretty interesting in their own ways, mixed or not. White Russians are good as well as random other mixed drinks. I usually just mix whatever I have around.

I don't drink very often these days. My current rate is about once or twice a year.

Edited by blackviper8891

The funny thing is, as soon as I hit 21, I stopped drinking. I would say I drink once a year now. Although I will admit, I've started drinking wine on Fridays.

I like a glass of wine with food once in awhile. Wine seems to go very well with italian food for some reason.

Corona or beer from a microbrewery is usually pretty good...but I drink about 4 times a year, maybe less.

Chris

• 7 months later...
I went to a party last weekend dehydrated and hungry...

While beer may be a food, hydrating yourself with alcohol is a losing battle.

Not very wise Nick and it can make you sick.

Get your ass on MSN also.

Edited by deftonesfan867
  • 1 month later...

I don't consider myself to be an alcohol snob, but when I walk up to the bar and ask for a martini and the bar tender replies, "What kind of vodka do you want?", I just want to drown him in the bar nuts.

I don't do very many drinks, but I make a stunningly good martini. It always gets compliments and even my partner's very Italian father who knows a thing or two about good alcohol said on father's day, "That was the best martini I've ever had!".

A martini isn't.... or shouldn't be... very challenging to make, but to find someone who makes a good or excellent one appears to be difficult.

I want some Dos Equis, but I'm afraid I'm not interesting enough.

Careful, some folks find that they have a more "interesting" morning the next day than they had planned when they drink Dos Equis.

I don't consider myself to be an alcohol snob, but when I walk up to the bar and ask for a martini and the bar tender replies, "What kind of vodka do you want?", I just want to drown him in the bar nuts.

Why? If you don't specify, you're getting Popov. That's how it works.

Why? If you don't specify, you're getting Popov. That's how it works.

Because a martini... a proper martini ....is made with gin and not vodka. A martini is gin, vermouth, and if ordering dirty, olive juice. Anything after that is a modification and should then be specified in the order. If I ordered a vodka martini, only then would his return question be applicable.

Furthermore (since James Bond wandered in here). The reason you stir a martini and not shake it is so that you don't bruise the ice. By asking for his martini "Shaken, not stirred" what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

to me a good Martini starts with Bombay Sapphire

My perfect recipe.

4 shots Tanqueray 10 gin, 1/2 shot dry vermouth, 1/2 shot olive juice, in that order poured over ice. Gently stir with a glass stirrer or the handle end of a icetea spoon. Strain into chilled cocktail glasses. Garnish with olives.

Serves 2.

Only time I ever drank was when I went to Europe last Summer. Drank quite a few beers (not in one sitting of course) but never really developed a taste for the stuff. I was rather proud that I got to drink from the highest beer tap in the world (on top of Mount Pilatus).

IMG_1575.jpg

Because a martini... a proper martini ....is made with gin and not vodka. A martini is gin, vermouth, and if ordering dirty, olive juice. Anything after that is a modification and should then be specified in the order. If I ordered a vodka martini, only then would his return question be applicable.

Furthermore (since James Bond wandered in here). The reason you stir a martini and not shake it is so that you don't bruise the ice. By asking for his martini "Shaken, not stirred" what James is doing is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it.

I think it's reasonable for a bartender to ask "Vodka or Gin?" ...but I definitely agree that assuming vodka is bogus. You won't get me in agreement that a "proper" martini is gin because a vodka martini is just a type of martini...not an "improper" one. An "improper" martini would be something being called a martini just because it's in a cocktail glass.

Only time I ever drank was when I went to Europe last Summer. Drank quite a few beers (not in one sitting of course) but never really developed a taste for the stuff. I was rather proud that I got to drink from the highest beer tap in the world (on top of Mount Pilatus).

Beer is the way to go if you want to look like a fat midwestern drunk or that dude in college who joined a frat to drink and never stopped, going from slim to morbidly obese in just 3 years. Broaden your horizons with some hard A. Be warne: SoCo sneaks up on you, though tastes very good.

Edited by Croc