gmcbob

Now what?

74 posts in this topic

Not Good. I want to see a list of which Senators voted against it.

GM shareholders will be going down one hell of a waterslide come tomorrow.

Time to bring out the bankruptcy papers, salvage whatever they can in Chapter 11. Hopefully they can save Chevy and Cadillac at least. The cash is almost gone and there is no one left to help them. Stock price will dive tomorrow.

GM shareholders will be going down one hell of a waterslide come tomorrow.

Of course there is not much slide left to go down. My stash of AC oil filters in the garage are already worth more apiece than my shares are. :nono:

SMK- yer link is to a vote RE H.R. 7005, the Alternative Minimum Tax Relief Act of 2008, not the autoamker bridge loan.

And there would be no 'salvaging' under Chapter 11.

Someone said something about maybe the 700b given to the banks will be used instead.

"Bush officials warned wavering GOP senators earlier Thursday that if they didn't support the legislation, the White House will likely be forced to tap the Wall Street bailout to lend them money, two Republican congressional officials told CNN."

merry christmas. make no mistake, this is about busting the union.

:yes:

The Republicans know that the unions are a democratic stronghold...

So, instead of putting the interests of the country and you and I first, they'd rather play f*cking politics with our lives just so they can hopefully get a leg up in 4 years.

It doesn't matter how many 'little people' get screwed over in the process.

I hope the media latches onto this like a Pit Bull on a piece of meat. There is absolutely NO reason why this should not have passed.

But alas, I'm sure the media will find some way to use it against Detroit.

Let's take it nuclear!

"Bush officials warned wavering GOP senators earlier Thursday that if they didn't support the legislation, the White House will likely be forced to tap the Wall Street bailout to lend them money, two Republican congressional officials told CNN."

If they do use money from the Wall Street bailout then this was all for show, since that was the original proposal anyway.

I love how the Republicans wanted to take a pay cut but didn't have a problem with the pork slipped into the bill to give judges a raise.

Edited by Dodgefan

http://senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_cal...&vote=00215

Interesting that Harry Ried voted against it.

By the description, that's the vote list for HR7005-A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide alternative minimum tax relief for individuals for 2008. Something unrelated.

The Republican senators that voted against it should be ashamed of themselves. Congress has been reduced to a circus. The slippery slope just got steeper due to these idiots.

Mitch McConnell

# Voted YES on promoting free trade with Peru. (Dec 2007)

# Voted YES on free trade agreement with Oman. (Jun 2006)

# Voted YES on implementing CAFTA for Central America free-trade. (Jul 2005)

# Voted YES on establishing free trade between US & Singapore. (Jul 2003)

# Voted YES on establishing free trade between the US and Chile. (Jul 2003)

# Voted YES on extending free trade to Andean nations. (May 2002)

"In an interview with the Louisville Courier-Journal, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) noted that despite the economic turmoil in Detroit, Toyota plants in Kentucky are sitting pretty:

We also have other auto manufacturers who are doing quite well,” McConnell said, naming Toyota’s Georgetown, Ky., operation. “It happens not to be American companies and that is sad. But it’s not like we don’t have success in the auto industry. We do.”

"

"It is difficult to ascertain the exact amount of tax subsidies provided to the foreign automakers because they are provided by so many localities and in different ways, including property tax breaks and corporate tax abatements. One study found that the total subsidies to foreign automakers exceeded $2 billion."

Dick Shelby

"Shelby represents the views of many members of Congress who say they oppose a taxpayer bailout and plan to join him in trying to defeat the measure. In an interview yesterday, he defended his support for tax breaks for foreign auto companies, which he praised for offering cars that the public wants. "They know what they are doing running efficient plants," said Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Banking Committee, which held hearings on the bailout last week."

Also realize that the bill would have passed (52 votes for), but because the Republicans can't let a bill go through to a vote (basically last night was a vote for cloture, a vote to see if we should vote) without filibustering - requiring 60 yes votes to vote on a bill.

Back in 2005, the Republicans were "appalled" that the Democrats would ever think of using this "subversion to justice" but in the past two years the Republicans have used it more that any sitting Senate in history. If the RePUGS would have let it go to a real vote, it would have passed.

Someone should ask Dickie Moe, which of the cars churning out of Mercedes's Tuscaloosa plant are fuel efficient? Is it ML, GL, or RL because I surely cannot find one.

And of Shelby is from Alabama, which has a Mercedes plant, a Hyundai plant, and a I think a Honda plant now. F*cking red staters.

Not Good. I want to see a list of which Senators voted against it.

I would've been one of em.

The workers wages alone are not what is killing GM... lack of productivity and the lazy workers, both created by the UAW, are the largest blow. I will note that many GM workers are NOT lazy, but can't be productive because it would make the lazy workers "look bad".

To have to wait 30 min. for a maintanance guy to pull a stuck part out of a press that the worker could've done in a few seconds is F'in rediculous... That alone is why the UAW needs to go.

Edited by BuddyP

I would have voted nay too. The bill was a bad bill that would have did more harm than good. The bill should have provided dip financing for an approved CH11, so the automakers could have reorganized and come out profitable. This legislation would have just put a dying man on life support. Sure he's alive, but he just lays there in a coma and may never wake up.

A buddy of mine IMed me this morning (whom I've argued with about the importance of Detroit, the quality of the Big 3 cars, etc) and asked 'So now are you going to wake up and get a Toyota?'. Argggghhhh.... I ignored him.

Edited by moltar

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room