ShadowDog

Observations

59 posts in this topic

I think that in less than twenty years, McDonalds will run out of skinny people for their commercials and switch to a marketing campaign that basically suggests, "Hey, everyone else is eating here, you might as well, too!"

Seriously, has anyone ever seen an even slightly overweight person chowing down on a Big Mac in their commercials? You will definitely never see a fat kid with a happy meal.

Ignore it and it will all go away.

Those new Angus 1/3 pound Mushroom & Swiss burgers make me wanna unbutton my top button and pig out.

But I order them without mayonnaise to save a bunch of calories and fat.:lol:

There's this wonderful place in El Segundo (other locations in Irvine) called The Veggie Grill. Think vegan fast food. Now, I love meat, but if I want to treat myself, I order a V-Burger with portobello and avocado, side of Sweetheart Fries (sweet potato fries), and a drink...they only carry flavored teas, sweetened with agave, of course. Soooooo good, and the chipotle "mayo" dipping sauce for those fries? Whoa.

http://www.veggiegrill.com/

McDonald's is gross, and their food makes people fat. Fries aren't that great, though the Filet-O-Fish is pretty decent.

McDonald's is gross, and their food makes people fat. Fries aren't that great, though the Filet-O-Fish is pretty decent.

I beg to differ, i lost 40 pounds once and i had McDonalds at least 2x a week.

Of course i put that back on later, but the point of the matter is its not a place that makes you fat, its YOU that makes you fat (or skinny) by your eating preferences.

Blaming McDonalds for making people fat is like blaming your pencil for spelling words wrong.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

I beg to differ, i lost 40 pounds once and i had McDonalds at least 2x a week.

Of course i put that back on later, but the point of the matter is its not a place that makes you fat, its YOU that makes you fat (or skinny) by your eating preferences.

Blaming McDonalds for making people fat is like blaming your pencil for spelling words wrong.

You lost 40 lbs...of what? Lean tissue? Just because you lose weight doesn't mean you're getting healthier...it depends on WHAT weight you are losing.

Maybe it was simply from dropping the kids off at the pool.

There's this wonderful place in El Segundo (other locations in Irvine) called The Veggie Grill. Think vegan fast food. Now, I love meat, but if I want to treat myself, I order a V-Burger with portobello and avocado, side of Sweetheart Fries (sweet potato fries), and a drink...they only carry flavored teas, sweetened with agave, of course. Soooooo good, and the chipotle "mayo" dipping sauce for those fries? Whoa.

I've had something along those lines in a vegetable patty burger. The uninformed tend to think anything vegetarian must have copious amount of tofu; however, there's so many delicious alternatives to the generic meat product that make my mouth water thinking about them.

I agree. Their burgers make me thirsty at first bite and their fries are terribly over-salted. If we ever buy fast food, we end up sometimes going to three places. I like Arby's for their marketplace sandwiches or Great Canadian burgers, sometimes A&W for a double-teen burger (incl. all veggies and bacon - a real porker meal), and depending upon which city we're in, Arby's for their curly-fries and A&W for their onion rings. I saw 'depending upon which city we're in' because one town out here over-season their onion rings to the point that it's better to think of them as ordering MSG with a side of rings.

You lost 40 lbs...of what? Lean tissue? Just because you lose weight doesn't mean you're getting healthier...it depends on WHAT weight you are losing.

40 lbs of pretty much pure fat.

Anyone who blames fast food for making them fat lacks self control. And any parent that allows their kid to get as fat as in that poster is a pretty poor parent.

Edited by Teh Ricer Civic!

Agreed, Teh.

Had a really tasty Kobe beef burger w/ carmelized onions, bacon and gorgonzola cheese yesterday at Blu Burger Grille, a local chain. Quite tasty.

Blu Burger

Rob

I don't eat at Mickey Dee's often, but I do enjoy my Quarter Pounder with Cheese and large fries.

I never eat at any of the chains like McDonalds or Burger King etc. .

Just the smell of those places turns me off.

I get McDonalds every now and then. usually when I do it's a double cheeseburger or 2. I've had the angus mushroom and swiss once and thought it was good.

As for their fries, if they get them right (which is rare) they are terrific...but liek I said, it's rare that you get them fresh and with the right amount of salt. Usually it's either no salt or salt overkill.

Overall I prefer Wendy's if I'm going to do fast food. Arby's is good but there's only one within like 20 miles. I usually just make my own burger.

Chili's does have some kickass burgers though, so does Fuddruckers.

The best burgers though, are from a place in Miami, OK called Waylan's Hamburgers the Ku-Ku

3568682041_bec4aca9d5_o.jpg

That Ford is one of their mascots.

Cool Fairlane.

... but the point of the matter is its not a place that makes you fat, its YOU that makes you fat (or skinny) by your eating preferences.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that it would be a bad idea for McDonalds to make a commercial with overweight people. I would think that, eventually, they're going to have to.

I recall an article that took a basic look at obesity and fast food. Suggesting you can't have one without the other to such a large degree as seen in North America, it went on to say that it all comes down to the dollar and taste. While one can spend the same amount of money on healthier foods, most would use it for cheap fast food to satisfy their taste craving. Basically, if fast food weren't so cheap, there would probably be less obesity.

Edited by ShadowDog

Still, that doesn't change the fact that it would be a bad idea for McDonalds to make a commercial with overweight people. I would think that, eventually, they're going to have to.

They really should..since many of their customers are the obese poor, they should make realistic ads. Their ads showing fit people doing active things (biking, etc) are unrealistic...fit, athletic people don't eat fast food $h!.

Rob

>>"I never eat at any of the chains like McDonalds or Burger King etc."<<

Same here... well: maybe twice/yr while out on the road & ravenous.

I get McDonald's maybe once every couple weeks and don't mind it. I usually go for the quarter pounder value meal when I do. But lately I've been cutting back on fast food in general because I'm trying to build up my savings again after spending half of it on my car.

Basically, if fast food weren't so cheap, there would probably be less obesity.

Gasp!? Really? And who contributes to cheap, not very healthy food?

A good read on this subject is John Stossel's book 'Fast Food Nation'.

I luvs me a Big Mac and McDonalds' fries are my favorite next to carnival fries. And my doctor said all the salt is actually good for my orthostatic hypotension.

Taco Bell is my fast food of choice, though. Expecially since it's closest and cheapest around school.

I wonder if McDonalds would make a double angus burger dressed like a Big Mac ... ? :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Secret Sauce would scare me, especially if I asked for something different.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor