Craigslist has paid off! My new car is a...

... 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. There, the suspense is over and the cat is out of the bag. But the deal isn't finalized yet (but will be, most likely, very soon).

Well, after racking my brain on what I wanted to do to replace my '07 AURA XE lease coming up in three months, I decided to go used for my next vehicle. And not just any car, mind you, but the largest one Cadillac offered to boot. Here are some pictures I took when I went to see the car on Monday:

DSCN1310.jpg

DSCN1309.jpg

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1316.jpg

I do have to take a small loan out to purchase it since being unemployed this summer drained most of the cash I had saved up for a special car purchase (originally the '87 GP LE I posted about months ago). But my plan is to pay the car off by next summer, one year earlier, so I can own the car free and clear.

This Fleetwood Brougham is well-optioned, originally stickering for $41,077: triple black (Sable Black exterior, black padded vinyl roof, black Sierra Grain leather interior), trailer towing package, Brougham leather package with heated seats, 3-button garage door opener, CD/Cassette Stereo, Security package, and full size spare tire. It currently has 116k on the odo and has had two caring owners in it's 13 years (the car was manufactured in February of 1996).

Does this mean I don't plan to buy a new GM vehicle? Yes if by November; no for 2011 or 2012. I wanted a Pontiac G8 GT Sedan very badly, but can't afford one (same with a GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD). I've always admired the '93-'96 Caddy Fleetwood and have looked into getting one for the last 2-3 years. I figured why not now? New cars & trucks will always be around (well, not Pontiacs anymore), so why not get something I've always wanted? And this is making me take the leap on something else I've always wanted to do but put off - I will be enrolling in Adult School and their Auto Mechanics classes so I can learn to take care of my own vehicles (even if it's the more basic stuff) so I don't always have to rely on someone else.

A big thank you to caddycruiser for being there for countless PMs, containing many, many questions. His encouragement and confidence has been the "angel on my shoulder' going through with this. I'd also like to thank Ninety-Eight Regency - his devotion to the cars he loves, no matter how old they are, has motivated me to make one of my dreams into a reality.

BTW, If anyone feels I'm making a mistake, please speak up now before I take the plunge (reminds me of my wedding 8 years go :lol: )

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Nice car! And you did the enthusiast community by saving it from being clunked for a new Hyundai.

Nice car! And you did the enthusiast community by saving it from being clunked for a new Hyundai.

You're not kidding. His wife wanted him to get a new car (the owner is 65 y-o), but like he told me, he has 5 other cars! So he said anew car was the last thing he needs, and he'd hate to see this Caddy crushed.

Another person did check it out before me - a New Yorker that owns a limo service. He said it was "too old" for his fleet, that his customers want and expect newer cars, so he passed. He said he's gotten a ton of e-mails offering $1,000 to $1,500 for it, but he doesn't even reply to this "nitwits".

As for the price, I'm paying $3,500. caddycruiser tells me that it can sell for much more than that to the Fleetwood crowd. I'll take that as I'm getting a bargain :lol:

Consdier that if this car looked anything like an Impala SS and was still in this condition, you'd be hard pressed to get it for less than double that amount. I was honestly figuring 3-5K. You did good. Enjoy it.

If it's sound, and it's what you want, I'd say go and spoil yourself in it's big plush leather seats and easy ride. And if you head back to teaching, your students will really dig it, especially if you do this:

fleet_lowrider.JPG

:booyah: :booyah:

Funny you bring this up, because about ONE HOUR AGO, somebody pulled up in a very similar car and asked me for directions to a law firm that was next door to mine.

Nice Caddy, GMTG74. :thumbsup:

This car will be, without a doubt, a collector's item in the future. It does hold the distinction of being the last rear-wheel drive, body-on-frame V8 Cadillac GM made after all.

So, when are you getting a Flowmaster exhaust and Impala SS wheels with Cadillac center caps? Huh? Huh?:)

If it was my car, that's what I would do. That, and put a nice, deep tint on the windows.

If anything, just please ditch those whitewall tires. :P

If anything, just please ditch those whitewall tires. :P

Hahaha... oh wait, you're being serious, aren't you? I will say that the "grandpa" in me has always liked the look of this car with the thin white-wall tires. Since the orignal tires and subsequent upgrades by Goodyear and Michelin are no longer available, caddycruiser is doing some research for me on what white-walled brand of tires are being used by other Fleetwood owners currently. I hate to say I'm not considering changing the rims or going with black-walled tires at this point (though caddycruiser's '95 Fleetwood looked awesome with the Impala SS rims and black-walled tires).

Thanks to everyone that has wished me well on this find. I've wanted a Fleetwood for as long as I can remember, and I was probably the youngest person waiting to sit inside of one at the 1993-1996 Philadelphia Auto Show :P And being that I'm going with an older used car is new territory for me. The last used car I bought (back in '98) was only three years old with low mileage and had a warranty on it. It will be strange turning in a lease vehicle without getting something new in return - I've been leasing 10 years now and it will be strange to have to give them the AURA and just walk away.

As for mods, the only thing I'm contemplating at this time is the window tint. I was suppose to make a thread about the wife's G6 Sedan - back on August 6th I had the rear door and rear window tinted 15% and it not only looks good, but has helped to keep the car cooler on the inside (I'll post some pics in the member's area tonight, just in case anyone cares!). I'm using the small amount of money I still have left to buy new tires, get some basic maintenance done (oil change, new battery, coolant flush, possibly a transmission service, and there is one known problem - the right rear window doesn't work as it's off the track and needs to be fixed). Depending on what I plan to do with the car down the road, a flowmaster exhaust may be in the cards, but if I decide to keep this car as stock as possible, then all mods are out (tinting, Imp SS rims, exhaust, etc).

Hopefully I'll post soon when this land yacht will be coming home. Since the owner has let both the insurance and registration lapse, I need to take care of those issues first before it can make the small trip "home".

P.S. - the wife is not thrilled at all with this purchase. First, she thinks it's too 'grandpa-ish' of a car; second, she's not thrilled that it's a gas guzzler (big car, big V8); thirdly, she's not happy that it has over 100k mileage (I told her that on average, this car has been driven only 9,000 miles per year, so the mileage isn't that bad of an issue); and finally, she's not happy that there's no warranty and being an older, used car means money for repairs down the road. However, I told her this is the car I want and as long as I have a loan on it, will be the car I drive :P

Heh-heh...I'm lusting after Town Cars these days. Maybe I am becoming my father. My Dad drove Lincolns the last 25 years of his life--so growing up, Continentals and Town Cars were the family cars, Mustangs the fun cars. At 25, I was all into BMWs (and Mustangs) and not being like my Dad.... now that I'm approaching 40, a late model Town Car seems like a great idea for a daily driver (they get better mileage than the Grand Cherokee).

Strange the way personal taste moves in cars. I have this weird taste dichotomy--I love modern sporty luxury like the CTS, but I also like the Great American Land Yacht style and feel.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I personally wouldn't go over 3k for it just on a gut feeling.

I decided to check edmunds out, and the price for a private listing for one of these in "outstanding" condition with all the options but the moonroof is $2,864.

When it comes to cars like this, the calculator sites are out of skew because the cars are too few, the condition varies too much, and it's largely an enthusiast market. I can tell you, having had 2 and knowing them inside and out for years, this car is about as close to the holy grail of Fleetwood as you'll get at this point.

1) 1996...the last year, most updates, lowest production.

2) Black/black/black...need I say more. Presidential, anyone?

3) Brougham package...common, but a must have with better seats, etc.

4) V4P trailering package...rare as rare gets on these LT1 models, turns an otherwise comfy/quick car into a firmer, quicker beast, AND has a 7k tow rating specific to the Fleetwood that no other factory B/D body could match. 3:42 rear gears, thank you, and FE2 suspension, plus heavier cooling and such. All with the LT1/4L60E underhood.

5) Lower miles, fine condition inside and out and well maintained. There's so few of these cars, at least the more desirable later years in decent colors, anymore, finding a good example elevates it that much more.

6) No sunroof or factory chrome wheels, but alas, it's a beast and loaded otherwise.

I miss my '95 after selling it last year, and can say I would buy this car myself if in the position to do so and it wasn't for Roger. Tentatively planning for a trip up on Saturday to give the car my expert, non emotional (hah, Roger :AH-HA_wink: ) review and we'll see from there.

Edited by caddycruiser

Your right...

Sad to see nice old Caddy's like this cruhsed...

Glad to see Roger save this one and give it a home. Life is too short to drive normal boring cars, I may just have to drive to Jersy and see this one for myself.

Thanks Caddycruiser for talking him into this!!

Chris

Having finally seen, checked out, and taken a ride in this car yesterday with Roger and the owner...what a beast;-)

Nothing 13 years old is perfect and neither is this car, but I know them inside and out and it's about as solid and well maintained as any you could find today, especially for the price. Few little odds & ends (literally, like a vent knob, a window roller, etc.) that will be needed, but thanks to my many years with these cars, I have most for him.

Image00013.jpg

Image00011.jpg

It will be a change going from a new Aura to a Fleetwood, for sure, but it should give many continued years of comfortable and enjoyable driving...and showing off 8)

Hahaha... oh wait, you're being serious, aren't you? I will say that the "grandpa" in me has always liked the look of this car with the thin white-wall tires. Since the orignal tires and subsequent upgrades by Goodyear and Michelin are no longer available, caddycruiser is doing some research for me on what white-walled brand of tires are being used by other Fleetwood owners currently. I hate to say I'm not considering changing the rims or going with black-walled tires at this point (though caddycruiser's '95 Fleetwood looked awesome with the Impala SS rims and black-walled tires).

Thanks to everyone that has wished me well on this find. I've wanted a Fleetwood for as long as I can remember, and I was probably the youngest person waiting to sit inside of one at the 1993-1996 Philadelphia Auto Show :P And being that I'm going with an older used car is new territory for me. The last used car I bought (back in '98) was only three years old with low mileage and had a warranty on it. It will be strange turning in a lease vehicle without getting something new in return - I've been leasing 10 years now and it will be strange to have to give them the AURA and just walk away.

As for mods, the only thing I'm contemplating at this time is the window tint. I was suppose to make a thread about the wife's G6 Sedan - back on August 6th I had the rear door and rear window tinted 15% and it not only looks good, but has helped to keep the car cooler on the inside (I'll post some pics in the member's area tonight, just in case anyone cares!). I'm using the small amount of money I still have left to buy new tires, get some basic maintenance done (oil change, new battery, coolant flush, possibly a transmission service, and there is one known problem - the right rear window doesn't work as it's off the track and needs to be fixed). Depending on what I plan to do with the car down the road, a flowmaster exhaust may be in the cards, but if I decide to keep this car as stock as possible, then all mods are out (tinting, Imp SS rims, exhaust, etc).

Hopefully I'll post soon when this land yacht will be coming home. Since the owner has let both the insurance and registration lapse, I need to take care of those issues first before it can make the small trip "home".

P.S. - the wife is not thrilled at all with this purchase. First, she thinks it's too 'grandpa-ish' of a car; second, she's not thrilled that it's a gas guzzler (big car, big V8); thirdly, she's not happy that it has over 100k mileage (I told her that on average, this car has been driven only 9,000 miles per year, so the mileage isn't that bad of an issue); and finally, she's not happy that there's no warranty and being an older, used car means money for repairs down the road. However, I told her this is the car I want and as long as I have a loan on it, will be the car I drive :P

Welcome to the B/D body brotherhood :AH-HA_wink:. I think it will serve you fine & the Auto Shop classes will help you alot. First things first Flush that Dexcool out of there, my water pump had only 1 :omfg: impeller left when I pulled it & rust all in the thermostat also the engine oil cooler sprung a leak(what a mess 3qts make inside). Also when you change the waterpump always tune it up making sure to change the cap & rotor it's under the waterpump. You should get about 15-16 city & bout 25 hwy it does have 3.73's. Should be easy to roast those whitewalls so get it out of your system with those old tires :AH-HA_wink:. I would think that wouldn't even come to your mind but you have mentioned several times that it's a BEAST so enjoy those old tires. :D

There are several forums to help I wish you the very best Enjoy Rick

Welcome to the B/D body brotherhood :AH-HA_wink:. I think it will serve you fine & the Auto Shop classes will help you alot. First things first Flush that Dexcool out of there, my water pump had only 1 :omfg: impeller left when I pulled it & rust all in the thermostat also the engine oil cooler sprung a leak(what a mess 3qts make inside). Also when you change the waterpump always tune it up making sure to change the cap & rotor it's under the waterpump. You should get about 15-16 city & bout 25 hwy it does have 3.73's. Should be easy to roast those whitewalls so get it out of your system with those old tires :AH-HA_wink:. I would think that wouldn't even come to your mind but you have mentioned several times that it's a BEAST so enjoy those old tires. :D

There are several forums to help I wish you the very best Enjoy Rick

Edit to part of this...I kept saying the wrong gear ratio, because I got it confused with a '93 tow package car. This LT1 iteration with the 7k rated tow package has 3:42's.

Still, compared to other models, that makes for a big difference. Cuts fuel mileage a hair, but gets the car out of the gate easier and more sprightly all around, so regardless.

Massive. Cool. Cadillac.

All black and rated to tow 7k pounds...I swear, if he ever has second thoughts, I'll be at his door like... :AH-HA_wink:

Get prepared southern Jersey: that 3-note train horn you hear is just a warning...there's a big black locomotive with an LT1 underhood and Roger at the helm coming through :lol:

Edited by caddycruiser

Edit to part of this...I kept saying the wrong gear ratio, because I got it confused with a '93 tow package car. This LT1 iteration with the 7k rated tow package has 3:42's.

Still, compared to other models, that makes for a big difference. Cuts fuel mileage a hair, but gets the car out of the gate easier and more sprightly all around, so regardless.

Still good as my RoadMaster Estate has 3.08's & limited to 5500lbs still works out for my TrailMannor barely

Massive. Cool. Cadillac.

You've got that right!! I can't wait to get behind the wheel of this road monster... (soon!)

All black and rated to tow 7k pounds...I swear, if he ever has second thoughts, I'll be at his door like... :AH-HA_wink:

Get prepared southern Jersey: that 3-note train horn you hear is just a warning...there's a big black locomotive with an LT1 underhood and Roger at the helm coming through :lol:

My son (Justin, 4 y-o) can't stop talking about "daddy's new Cadillac with its train horn"!! I actually think he's more excited about this car than I am, and I'm very excited myself. I have to go to the credit union this afternoon and drop off the paperwork so that a check can be cut. I'm hoping to have this beast home by the end of the week.

Derek - again, I can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your Saturday to drive 2.5 hours to New Jersey to look this car over for me. It reassures me that I'm making a good purchase. Plus it's always nice to meet someone from C&G in person. I will respond to your e-mails soon; Saturday evening & night were spent with friends, and yesterday was a busy 2-car show day and time spent with the family.

Oh and remember the red Fleetwood Brougham we passed going to & from Tom's house? It's a '93 FWB and I stopped to see it last night (was around the corner at a car show). I took crappy pictures of it in the dark, but low and behold it's listed on Craigslist: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1336830979.html

caddycruiser, it looks like I can find these tires for the FWB, but I'm nore than positive I will pass:

Ah, yes, Hankooks. Not a bad choice, but given your review of them on the Aura, probably not the best either.

I'm still checking around to see what I can find myself, in addition to whatever you might be able to find with tire stores up there once you have the car for a little while.

As for the '93...not an LT1 car...but looks very nice nonetheless. Nothing says Fleetwood like black on black, however :thumbsup:

Someone has to make the gold line tires. I saw a set today on a 65 Riviera that were just about brand new.

Again, nice purchase. And if you get cold feet, remember my garage in Ohio is large and lonely...

Seriously...nice car, can't wait until you can get it home.

Chris

Well, it looks like it will be coming home soon. Tomorrow, Wednesday 8/26, I meet the owner at my credit union so that he can sign over the title and get his check. I then take the title to NJ DMV and get a new one in both my name and the lien holders, new registration, and new plates (I've already called my insurance company and have added it on my policy effective tomorrow). Once all of that work is done, it's off to pick up the car and bring it to its new home. Plenty of pictures will be taken of course!!

caddycruiser - what brand of Goodyears and Michelins have the Caddy owners been using the past couple of years? I'd like to know the names so that when I call tire stores I can ask them if they have Goodyear/Michelin X or Y tires available. Also, are factory floor mats still available for the Fleetwood??

Well, the car is parked at it's new home!! Attached is its last picture at its old home; I completed the paperwork & DMV stuff in the afternoon and at 7:00 PM I went to get it. When I got home, the wife and little guy wanted a ride in the car, plus my neighbors next door came to see it, my parents stopped by to check it out, and a friend stopped over to see my newest acquistion. By the time I had it parked for the night it was too late & dark for a picture at its new home. It needs a bath for the time being and I plan to get it checked over mechanically soon, plus it needs to go to a state inspection facility within the next 14 days. Not much will be done by the end of the week, so maybe a quick bath and some pictures at its new home/area.

caddycruiser - I'll be sending you an e-mail in the morning (too tired right now to type!) with some new developments on its condition.

post-418-1251349469.jpg

caddycruiser - I'll be sending you an e-mail in the morning (too tired right now to type!) with some new developments on its condition.

Sounds good Roger. I've been tied up with other things all week, but we'll chat.

Thanks for the well-wishes and congrats on getting this car. I've been dealing with a personal health issue since Thursday morning and that has prevented me from doing anything at all, especially with the Caddy. I have until September 9th to take it to a NJ State Inspection Facility and I wanted to have it checked ove mechanically by a mechanic or service center first to make sure it will pass the inspection process. i have to go to work for a few hours on Monday and then return to work full-time on Tuesday (yeah, no more unemployment!!). I have some time, but it will run out quickly!

As soon as my knee allows me to stand/balance/walk again (I'm much better than Thursday morning), I'll get some pictures of it at its new home.

Roger...the good and the bad....I love the car.

But your landscaping looks better than mine. When you washed and waxed the G6 so nice and clean I realized what a pig my wife's car was, so I spent all day waxing and cleaning my wife's car, after a nice clay bar treatment.

Now I'm going to have to spend Saturday weeding and cleaning...

At least if my Miata breaks down you'll be able to haul it in your trunk. Unless you'd rather haul it in the ashtray...

Seriously dude...nice car. I've seen 2 or three like it in Navy and one in White.

Enjoy!

mustang84, gm4life, regfootball, Camino LS6 - thank you for the compliments. While the car is really great, it does require some attention and routine maintenance before I will feel comfortable driving it on a daily basis. It would also benefit from some TLC with regards to the exterior & interior, and I know that will make the car look 10x better.

66Stang - don't be a copy-cat!! I appreciate your comments about the landscaping, but the credit goes to the landscaping company our association uses and to my wife for planting the various types of plants she bought in the spring. I actually call it the "gypsy garden" because my wife buys/plants what she sees & likes and not in any methodical order. But it makes the front of our townhouse a little nicer from the rest.

Even though I had the Fleetwood Expert (caddycruiser, aka Derek) perform a visual inspection for me prior to completing the purchase, I am planning to drop it off at a local mechanic/repair shop for a more thorough mechanical inspection. Derek has been jkind enough to offer his services with some of the needed repairs, but I can't expect him to do everything! And I want the car to be sound for November, so some simple routine maintenance will be needed, and hopefully nothing too major is found.

Again, thanks for all of the compliments - I love seeing the car out in the driveway everyday. It truly is a dream come true for me.

Why does the Sopranos theme song keep popping into my head when a visit this thread?

:duck:

Exactly. And even more exactly the reason my father and I first searched, searched, and searched some more for a triple black one like this back in 2003 but ended up with a white/red Brougham in better shape than any we had seen. Still, condition aside, the coloring is a big reason why I don't think it's ever been special to him...it just sits there. Another reason why I haven't shown him Roger's new ride OR the price he paid, especially given what he just dropped on the back yard's new project, a 1968 Dodge Coronet...cool, I guess, but a full on project, not a driver. As even he'd say..."but black just MAKES this car..."

Black on black on black Fleetwood, south Jersey, etc...Roger...your cool factor just called, it has a new agent :AH-HA_wink:

Hope I can still help out with this in time to come, albeit my extremely limited schedule more and more...professional mechanic check--good, tires we'll figure out, some of the little odds & ends I have, a proper cleaning & detail--this beast will be stunning, etc.

Edited by caddycruiser