Buick??? Making Car Buying a Tough Decision:BUICK GNX

Europe Builds a Brand-New Buick

By Alistair Weaver, European Editor Email

Date posted: 08-20-2009

STORY TOOLS

Digg this storyDigg this!

del.icio.usdel.icio.us

There's a small plastic button on the fascia marked "VXR." Give it a prod and the throttle response quickens, the suspension stiffens and the steering becomes more direct. This is the moment when the 2010 Vauxhall Insignia VXR casts off its humdrum, mainstream persona and becomes a genuine rival to the Audi S4 and the BMW 335i.

This car is not short of ambition, and its claims are not without substance. The turbocharged 2.8-liter V6 has been tuned to provide 321 horsepower, there's all-wheel drive, and a revised front suspension system for better cornering grip has been introduced.

Imagine a revitalized Saab 9-5. Oops, you can't because Saab isn't under the General Motors umbrella anymore. Then maybe a toughened Pontiac G6. Nope, that brand is history. How about a serious Saturn Aura? Nope, another goner. Well, what about the 2012 Buick Regal?

The Opel Connection

The 2010 Vauxhall Insignia VXR is a derivative of the Opel Insignia OPC introduced in Europe earlier this year, itself the high-performance version of the Opel Insignia. The Vauxhall Insignia became the U.K.'s 2009 Car of the Year by a single vote over the Ford Fiesta. Built on the same GM Epsilon II platform familiar to us in the Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Malibu, the Insignia rides on a 107.8-inch wheelbase and measures 190.2 inches overall, 73.1 inches wide and 60 inches high.

2010-insignia-vauxhall-fd-340.jpg

The 2010 Vauxhall Insignia VXR employs a retuned version of the Holden-engineered 2,792cc V6 turbo with a forged-steel crankshaft, forged-steel connecting rods and variable valve timing. By increasing the boost pressure of the single twin-scroll turbo to 13 psi and substantially reducing the backpressure from the stainless-steel exhaust system, the VXR technicians have managed to liberate 25 percent more power and 9 percent more torque. The headline figures now stand at 321 hp at 5,250 rpm and 321 pound-feet of torque at 5,250 rpm, output that compares well with the Audi S4's 328-hp V8 and the BMW 335i's 302-hp twin-turbo inline-6.

At idle, there's a nice V6 woofle from those extravagant exhausts, but on the move, the engine is disappointingly muted, save for a whistle from the turbo's wastegate.

Nor does the VXR ever really feel as fast as the outputs suggest. Vauxhall claims zero to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds with top speed limited to 155 mph, yet when you're cruising along, this car never feels more than satisfyingly brisk. At 4,023 pounds, it is 395 pounds heavier than the S4 and 474 pounds heavier than the 335i, so you really have to work the engine hard to get the car to deliver its best. The final-drive ratio has been shortened to 3.76:1 from 3.90:1 to help out, but the long throws of the six-speed manual transmission work against you.

All the Right Stuff

GM deserves credit for investing in hardware. This might be the Epsilon II platform, but it has all the best stuff from the big worldwide bin of parts.

It starts with the Haldex all-wheel-drive system introduced by the 2008 Saab Turbo X. An electrically driven hydraulic pump ensures torque is directed to the rear wheels, even if all four wheels are stationary. Like the Turbo X, the 2010 Vauxhall Insignia VXR adds an electronically controlled rear differential, which can actively transfer up to 40 percent of the torque reaching the rear axle between the rear wheels. With the ability to transfer torque front and rear independent of wheel-speed variations and also across the rear axle, you can manage understeer and oversteer situations more effectively.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...;mktid=cj260233

Real testament, that as much as I hate Edmund's driving skills... their photographer deserves a raise. THIS CAR IS EFFIN GORGEOUS... and if Buick gets a version of the OPC/VXR as a GNX... as they should RIGHT OUT THE GATE, they could instantly destroy the "Grandpa" image so many haters like to tout. It's 0-60 times versus Audi's S4 are to to do with te fact that the Audi packs more power buy about 8HP... and weighs 400lbs more than the S4... which knowing Audi's normal lack of sound isolation in the previous S4s and the new GM's love of more sound isolation... explains a lot.

Two things pop to mind... GM.. KILL The NOrthstar already. The STS, Lucerne, and DTS won't need it soon... and if teh Lucerne remains the 3.6LDi would certainly suffix until the Angel of Death appears at it's door. It actually has more HP than the Lucerne's 4.6LV8.

Second... GIVE THIS version of the 2.8L to Cadillac in the SRX. Make the 300HP version the base engine. BTW... to U GMI members.. please, in argument make a point that the 325HP 2.8L proves that the Haldex system can handle more than 300HP... CHEVYRULES believes otherwise.

2010-insignia-vauxhall-fd-340.jpg

2010-insignia-dsh-vauxhall-fd-500-1.jpg

2010-insignia-seat-vauxhall-fd-500-1.jpg

2010-insignia-rint-vauxhall-fd-500-1.jpg

2010-insignia-actf34-vauxhall-fd-500-2.j

2010-insignia-actr34-vauxhall-fd-500-3.j

2010-insignia-grp-vauxhall-fd-500-1.jpg

2010-insignia-shifter-vauxhall-fd-500-1.

While I'm sad to see the Northstar go, they really should have kept producing the "Shortstar" and offered it as a V6 companion option for Northstar-equipped vehicles. Why? Great power, better fuel economy. I actually prefer it over the Northstar.

I like the piano black finish. I'd REALLY love to see some new textures/materials to liven up cars. It seems we have 2 majors: wood (faux and real), and brushed aluminum.

Now that could be a real 'Super' for Buick. I'd call it Regal Super or something new, leave the GNX name to 1988..(it's a name from a very specific car and time and place).

Assuming the Insignia becomes the Regal, if they do something like this for the US, give it it's own identity. Something like this would give Buick a nice Taurus SHO competitor.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

leave the GNX name to 1988..

Or at least put it on Zeta

Sorry but this thing is a case of

lipstick-on-a-pig-400.jpg

Stick that drivetrain in the LaCrosse, however, and we might have something.

So? It's only 321hp...Ford has already done 365hp w/ the SHO.

His point is it can be done. Is the SHO AWD?

Anyway, I don't care - it's still an anonymous blob with a gerneric European car interior that happens to have some pretty bits tacked on inside and out to make it look cool. This is no Buick, and certainly is no GNX. Again, give the LaCrosse this exact drivetrain and you'll have my attention.

His point is it can be done. Is the SHO AWD?

Anyway, I don't care - it's still an anonymous blob with a gerneric European car interior that happens to have some pretty bits tacked on inside and out to make it look cool. This is no Buick, and certainly is no GNX. Again, give the LaCrosse this exact drivetrain and you'll have my attention.

The SHO is AWD. And it will be a Buick, the Insignia is coming as a Regal, correct? This AWD version is over 4000 lbs, I'm sure a LaCrosse version will be even heavier..

While I'm sad to see the Northstar go, they really should have kept producing the "Shortstar" and offered it as a V6 companion option for Northstar-equipped vehicles. Why? Great power, better fuel economy. I actually prefer it over the Northstar.

shortstar was a 90 degree design which is not preferred for balance and packaging reasons over a 60 degree design

buick better bring this car, but in no way should this be called GNX. they will crucify it like the GTO then.

Gran Sport, maybe.

About a year ago I proposed that the top of the line Buick trim should be listed in FRONT of the name rather than after.

Super Regal

Super Lacrosse

Super Lucerne

Super Enclave

If they ever do hybrids

Electra Regal

Electra Lacrosse

Electra Lucerne

Electra Enclave

GNX is catchy, and would likely stick in a younger target market's mind better than 'Super' or 'Grand National.' GNX just sounds really cool, and this thing would run circles around the previous GNX, so I have no idea what the issue would be.

It's an AWD sports sedan, not a RWD musclecar. It needs it's own identity.

If the Insignia VXR can fit the 2.8T then it can fit a 3.6T DI just as well. The external dimensions of the engine are the same.

I think the reason they use the smaller displacement engine is durability.

This engine is putting out around 325hp DIN with a single turbo and without direct injection. I wonder how far they could push it with a twin turbo + DI setup...

I like the piano black finish. I'd REALLY love to see some new textures/materials to liven up cars. It seems we have 2 majors: wood (faux and real), and brushed aluminum.

+1 on the glossy piano black finish. It looks cool and classy.

The "Super" moniker sounds very old school and should die along with the Lucerne and W-body LaCrosse. I think it only reinforces the geriatric image that Buick should be trying to transcend.

I do like "GNX", but RWD only fans would cry "foul" if it was applied to this car.

"Gran Sport" sounds a little old school also, but "GS" would be acceptable.

The "Super" moniker sounds very old school and should die along with the Lucerne and W-body LaCrosse. I think it only reinforces the geriatric image that Buick should be trying to transcend.

I do like "GNX", but RWD only fans would cry "foul" if it was applied to this car.

"Gran Sport" sounds a little old school also, but "GS" would be acceptable.

GS might work...they used that on the last Regal, so their is a precident for using it on FWD 4dr sedans. GNX should be like GTO, reserved for RWD muscle cars. Super seems very old, old school...like 1950. Not 2010.

I think this should be a Buick Regal Grand Sport. If they're bringing back the Regal name there's no reason not to bring back the Grand Sport name too.

Although I think if they do sell this here as a Buick, it should have more power. The goal for GM should be to match S4/335i performance too. Despite the weight disadvantage (why does GM make their cars so heavy?), I still think it's entirely possible.

I agree the GNX was a special car and that name should be left to reside with that car and that place in time for Buick and GM.

The problem with using the Super or Gran Sport moniker is that it requires using the full name aka, Buick LaCrosse Super/Gran Sport. People my age know 'GNX' but if you asked them what car it was (Regal), many wouldn't have a clue. In this day and age, quick, snappy names and acronyms seem to be the name of the game, and GNX is catchy, and known. Of course, GM could easily use something else with the GN initials, like GNS (Grand National Super/Sedan) or what have you.

Edited by TheCaptain

Leave GNX, T Type, Grand National, Grand Sport, and Stage One to history. These cars are different and it is not fair to them or the original cars to try to pawn off on a historic image not many remember today unless you are a gearhead.

If GM an d Buick want to convice this is a different car and a different company they need to move in a new direction and to new ground and prove them selved with new products with their own identity.

Time to create new Buicks with their own history and not an old dream.

So much better inside without the wood

Unfortunately that interior on the states would prolly trade all that attractive brushed alum. or fake brushed trim for gaudy bling chrome and yes wood . Maybe not , I could be wrong , but US designed still seem to have this undying need to use chrome everywhere . The G8's holden intact interior was refreshing . Eh maybe they are learning , theres virtually no chrome , save for couple accents , in the new camaro ...again refreshng .

That opel interior is stunning just the way it is , please dont americanize it . Get this thing over here AS IS . That circle in the Opel grill will hold Buick emblem just fine .

Just for kicks I ps'ed . Heres how said car should arrive "IF" it does . Notice how barely anything changed . With a TT 6cyl , its time to revive the ol turbo6 logo :D

frontgs.jpg

regalgs.jpg

buickregal.jpg

shiftergs.jpg