For release: Jan 1, 2006, 12:01 a.m. EST

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

PONTIAC REVEALS SOLSTICE GXP PERFORMANCE VARIANT AT 2006 LA AUTO SHOW

LOS ANGELES – From its 2002 auto show introduction to an early-order program that sold 1,000 cars in 41 minutes, the Pontiac Solstice has always invoked a passionate response from customers. Now, Pontiac is taking the vehicle’s combination of sensuous styling and driving exhilaration to a new level with the announcement of the turbocharged 2007 Solstice GXP.

“Creating a GXP performance edition of the Solstice is a natural extension of the capabilities of this car,” said John Larson, Pontiac general manager. “On its own, the base Solstice offers all of the qualities one would expect from a classic roadster – style, crisp handling, and spirited performance. The Solstice GXP takes that pure roadster DNA and pushes it to a new level, with a 47 percent boost in horsepower and other enhancements for a more thrilling driving experience.”

The heart of the Solstice GXP is the Ecotec 2.0-liter turbo engine, GM’s first direct injection offering in North America . It produces 260 horsepower (194 kw) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm),* making it GM’s highest specific output engine ever, at 2.1 horsepower per cubic inch of displacement (130 hp / 97 kw per liter), and the most powerful production engine in the Ecotec family.

A dual-scroll turbocharger with a lightweight turbine provides nearly instant power, and an air-to-air intercooling system boosts the turbo’s performance by reducing inlet temperatures. Dual cam phasing complements the turbocharging system by optimizing valve timing at lower rpm for best turbo response and quick access to engine torque.

Direct injection technology helps the Ecotec engine produce more power while maintaining the lower fuel consumption of a small displacement port-injected engine.

With direct injection, fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber to create a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower, especially at normal cruising speeds, of a conventional port-injection combustion system.

The GXP’s high-performance Ecotec turbo engine is connected to a standard five-speed manual gearbox, or an optional five-speed automatic transmission. Either transmission can propel the car from zero-to 60 mph in under 5.5 seconds.

As with other members of GXP family, the Solstice GXP provides a number of standard features not available on the base model, including:

•Unique front and rear fascias
•High polish, dual-outlet exhaust
StabiliTrak vehicle stability enhancement system
•3.73 rear axle ratio
•Interior refinements including unique GXP gauge cluster and Cobalt Red seat stitching

The GXP also comes standard with a number of features available as options on the base model, including:

•Sport suspension system
Four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock
•Limited-slip rear differential
•Power window/locks/mirrors and remote keyless entry
•Leather-wrapped steering wheel with accessory controls and cruise control
•Driver information center
18-inch polished aluminum wheels

Additional options include a rear deck spoiler, leather seating, sport metallic pedals, chrome wheels, enhanced audio options, including XM Satellite Radio, and OnStar.

The 2007 Solstice GXP will be available in fall 2006. Pricing has not yet been established.
Posted Image
2006 Los Angeles Auto Show: Pontiac Solstice GXP from MPH-Online

This should relegate all concerns that the Solstice isn't agile, nippy, or dainty enough to be a proper "purist" roadster. Who needs that when you have brute force? The cosmetic changes are less appealing, though maybe it's the color and photography that makes it look so horrible. Good thing the spoiler is optional, and the availability of Stabilitrak is excellent. I never knew a sport suspension was optional on the regular Solstice... typo, maybe?

Besides the spoiler, I love it. Should be even bigger than the regular Solstice. 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds is hot. When will we see pricing? What a nice way to ring in the new year. Hopefully 2006 will be great for GM!

I absolutely love this car!! The GXP enhancements really take the Solstice to a whole new level over the base car, and I'm happy that the spoiler is optional. Making Stabilitrak standard is a very smart move, and I'm almost positive that if a car has stability control then it also has to have a traction control system; the press release just says it has Stabilitrak but it doesn't mention a traction control system. Just wondering about that.

The upgrades look really good. The engine sounds fantastic and I love this quote about EcoTec II: "The 2.0-liter Turbo is the pinnacle of Ecotec performance to date, with additional growth planned." Hopefully DI ends up in GM's other engines very soon.

I'm disappointed that the gauge cluster doesn't have a temp gauge; the numerical readout of the temp isn't good enough (how hot is hot?). I also hope the interior plastics are upgraded from the base Solstice.

Sexy.. and powerful... but I agree that it need some different wheels (something like what the GTO Ram Air 6 had) and the color doesn't look as great as it does on a GTO or Vette IMO. At leat the left rear doesn't look as naked anymore. Edited by Decka

Notice they say "0-60 in under 5.5 seconds." That's a hedge. It'll be quicker, I'll bet. I love the fact that the body changes are minimal, and that the spoiler can be deleted. The money went into the hardware, and that's a wonderful thing. This ain't no '77 Trans Am, it's a clean, modern, sexy Pontiac, and baby, it's fine.

That yellow is too bitter. A milder yellow would have been more palatable.

I think a boost gauge is an option on the Subaru WRX as well, so I see no big deal about that. A pillar-mounted boost gauge will probably be available from Pontiac in some form.

Man, a full hardtop GXP, with a greenhouse like the original orange concept, would be absolute heaven for me.

Wow. First off, if it comes in yellow, I'll take it.

There are a couple of niggles, and maybe the aftermarket can make it work.

If you're going to black out the grille and the area around the fog/driving lights/turn indicators, I'd really like a black wheel option. Something like the Elise has would be perfect. Here's a picture:

Posted Image

Secondly, I'd rather have the white gauges or color-keyed gauge faces. Maybe Kappasphere will come to my rescue?

Third, and this really is slight, I'd like some subtle badging offered. Not standard, but offered. For instance, embroidered seats with a color-keyed logo, sill plates, maybe a "Solstice GXP" debossed under the airbag cover.

Any way about it though, if that color is available, I'm buying that car.

Tony

The GXP’s high-performance Ecotec turbo engine is connected to a standard five-speed manual gearbox, or an optional five-speed automatic transmission. Either transmission can propel the car from zero-to 60 mph in under 5.5 seconds. As with other members of GXP family, the Solstice GXP provides a number of standard features not available on the base model, including: •Unique front and rear fascias •High polish, dual-outlet exhaust •StabiliTrak vehicle stability enhancement system •3.73 rear axle ratio •Interior refinements including unique GXP gauge cluster and Cobalt Red seat stitching The GXP also comes standard with a number of features available as options on the base model, including: •Sport suspension system •Four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock •Limited-slip rear differential •Power window/locks/mirrors and remote keyless entry •Leather-wrapped steering wheel with accessory controls and cruise control •Driver information center •18-inch polished aluminum wheels Additional options include a rear deck spoiler, leather seating, sport metallic pedals, chrome wheels, enhanced audio options, including XM Satellite Radio, and OnStar. ------------------------------------------------ Glad to hear the spoilers are optional. I like the antilock system/rear differential, power windows/wireless remotes, stability system and the 5 speed manual and 5 speed automatic.... Sounds like I would add leather seating and be done... If you add up all the standard features.....and the turbocharge estimated 4 grand increase in price? where are we at? 29 grand? 30 with leather? Sound about right? too low? too high? Nice car...

I hope that Engine is U.S. Built. Certainly GM can't Take D.O.E. Research grants(U.S. Tax Dollars) Then Turn around and Import High Technology engines. If That is the Case I would expect GM to withdraw from the D.O.E. HCCI program and Return Research Funds.

I impressed with the power this puts out but this car doesn't do it for me. They could've put at least different rims on it. Aside from the Front fascia, second exhaust, lip spoiler and colour, it looks like a standard Solstice. I think GM should've added more to differentiate the exterior a bit more.

Well... I wish the side vents from the concept could have made their way onto it, but it looks alright, I guess. Yellow isn't it's color, the spoiler is terrible, and the wheels are too similar to the base ones, if not exactly the same. Overall, I feel they should have done more to it, but if a coupe ever becomes available... I'll buy one regardless of that and my financial status. Mmm... GXP Solstice coupe in Aggressive with special BV mods... orgasmic, I say... :drool:

It's a good start. Where's the close ratio 6-speed manual to go along with the GXP motor??? WTF?

My old '99 10th Anniversary Miata (which pre-dated the MazdaSpeed models) had a 6-speed manual and a more differentiated interior than "lesser" Miatas. I wish Pontiac had followed that theme here and also confined the automatic trans to the base model only. It would also be nice to have that antenna on the trunk body colored...

It will be an incredible performance car. For the money, is the specualation like 25k? That is a lot of enhancements for such a small increase.

I think the price will be more around 28 or 29k. A loaded non GXP Solstice can be close to 25k so I wouldn't expect a fully loaded GXP to be around 25k. I hope it is around 25k but I doubt it.

It also comes in red (Agressive), as seen at the LAIAS:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachm...23&d=1136852533
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachm...20&d=1136851611
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachm...21&d=1136851611
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachm...22&d=1136851611

And since the GXP series use a honeycomb theme, I think this would have been a great time for Pontiac to reintroduce honeycombed alloy rims:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Retro-themed as seen on the '99 GTO Concept:
Posted Image

Edited by GMTruckGuy74