Sign in to follow this  
Camino LS6

Have you voted yet?

Voting tonight on the way home.

• Upvote 2

Voting? What's that?

Oh yeah, I usually take the George Carlin approach to that one.

Voting is one of my few points of disagreement with Carlin.

The way I see it, voting gives you a license to bitch. If you don't vote then you should just STFU.

• Upvote 2

Voted last week. I was on a flight to Canada by the time the polls opened today and will be up here till late Friday night.

• Upvote 1

Voting is one of my few points of disagreement with Carlin.

The way I see it, voting gives you a license to bitch. If you don't vote then you should just STFU.

A cake made out of horse $h!, is still $h! even if one changes it's contents to cow $h!.

A.K.A. The system is screwed, and swapping one crook for another isn't worth my time.

The way I see it as long as these incompetent politicians have their hands in my pocket and noses in my business, I have a reason to bitch regardless of my stance on voting.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Voted last Monday.

(We're talking about the vote for Mayor of Toronto, right?) :neenerneener:

Speaking of which, the fat angry dumbass won. Seriously, the new mayor reminds me of Peter Griffin. Here's a rundown of his exploits:

Since being elected as councillor in 2000, Rob Ford has been no stranger to controversy:

• March 6, 2002: Mr. Ford calls fellow Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti a “Gino boy.”

• July 19, 2005: Mr. Ford and fellow Etobicoke councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby get into a name-calling spat. Ms. Luby calls Mr. Ford a jerk; he calls her a “waste of skin.”

• April 15, 2006: Mr. Ford shouts at out-of-town fans during a Maple Leafs game, calling them “communists.” “It’s hard to be thrown out of [a] hockey game when you weren’t even there,” he tells a National Post reporter. But later he admits: “I had one too many beers and I sincerely apologize. I’m only human, and I made a mistake.”

• June 28, 2006: Mr. Ford declares during a debate on health grants: “If you not doing needles and you’re not gay, you wouldn’t get AIDS probably.”

• March 5, 2008: Mr. Ford suggests “Oriental” people are “taking over” because of their work ethic. “Go to Hong Kong, okay? I’ve been there. You want to see workaholics? Those Oriental people work like dogs.” (He later apologizes for using “Oriental,” but insists Asians are hard-working.)

• March 26, 2008: Mr. Ford is charged with assaulting his wife and uttering a death threat. Mr. Ford told police his wife’s behaviour was “out of control.” On May 21, the charges were dropped.

• March 25, 2010: Mr. Ford announces run for mayor.

• June 4, 2010: A man asks Mr. Ford about buying the painkiller Oxycontin. “I’ll try buddy. I’ll try,” Mr. Ford says in a 52-minute taped conversation. Mr. Ford later says he did not intend to buy the drugs, but only wanted to get the man off the phone.

• Aug 19, 2010: Mr. Ford admits that on Feb. 15, 1999, he was arrested in Miami, Fla., for possession of marijuana and failure to produce a breath sample, after a date with his then-fiancée. The pot charges were dismissed; Ford was convicted of driving under the influence. He paid a $664 fine and served 50 hours of community service coaching football.—Kevin Gallagher and Mary Vallis, National Post

I'm scared about what he's going to say now that he's mayor and representing our city....

Voted, and then got some lunch.

The only candidates I've really paid attention to is for MA governor. I voted for Patrick because while he has increased state spending, a lot of it has gone towards renovating and rebuilding bridges. That's something that has been needed to be done for decades. The Republican running against him, I can't remember his name, just that he's angry, plans to cut that budget in half. I guess he missed all of the recent stories about chunks of bridges collapsing on major roads.

• Upvote 2

A cake made out of horse $h!, is still $h! even if one changes it's contents to cow $h!.

A.K.A. The system is screwed, and swapping one crook for another isn't worth my time.

The way I see it as long as these incompetent politicians have their hands in my pocket and noses in my business, I have a reason to bitch regardless of my stance on voting.

No, I don't think you do.

If you just made it a rule to vote out all incumbents each time, I'd be with you.

As it is, when you don't vote at all, you invite those same sleazebags to ignore any and all of your rights.

And they will.

So, my friend, I have to say that you and George have got this one wrong.

I agree with both of you on most things, but strongly oppose your positons on this.

• Upvote 2

If you just made it a rule to vote out all incumbents each time, I'd be with you.

That logic, it could be argued, got Obama voted. In that election, I couldn't vote for either.

As well, in this election, there's no compelling reason for me to vote. The only meaningful position up for vote is a House seat... and its one of the few incumbents I can stomach.

Carlin's opinion is lighthearted, but not real realistic... so I don't automatically not vote. But I still abhor the election process, from the lying scumbags running, to the lobbyists, to even the local-level amateurs with their fake smiles and handshakes as you fight your way through the "community" to get to the poll. I feel cleaner after sifting the cat's litter box.

Edited by SAmadei

That logic, it could be argued, got Obama voted. In that election, I couldn't vote for either.

\

My teenage daughter voted for Nader in that election...as she didn't like Obama or McCain.

I voted earlier today, voted for Strickland, as I think Kaisich is a total asshat. Hope he doesn't become governor of Ohio, but IIRC he was ahead in the polls.

Stole a page from Camino's playbook and voted for several Libertarians.

Voted for a few local republicans that I thought would do well, including a decent guy running for county commissioner.

"Election Day is next Tuesday. According to a new poll, one out of three voters is still undecided. It's a tough choice. Do you vote for the people who got us into this mess, or the people who can't get us out of this mess?" - Jay Leno

• Upvote 3

No, I don't think you do.

As it is, when you don't vote at all, you invite those same sleazebags to ignore any and all of your rights.

And they will.

So, my friend, I have to say that you and George have got this one wrong.

I agree with both of you on most things, but strongly oppose your positons on this.

Do you think that outcomes would be any different if voting rates were double what they are now? I'm skeptical.

Voted! It's a right, darn it! Took my son to the polls too....

Kudos!

That's the right attitude.

I don't care if you write-in Mickey mouse, exercise your rights!

Rights that are not exercised... vaporize.

Rights that are not exercised... vaporize.

This is very sadly very true!

Voted! But unfortunately it was against rather than for. Except for the Justices here in Iowa. Them I voted to keep.

Do you think that outcomes would be any different if voting rates were double what they are now? I'm skeptical.

Short answer: Yes

In this particular election, perhaps not so much. But in general, voting rates double what we now have could only represent the population better. It would also shorten the leash on the politicians considerably.

Speaking of which, and noting Stang's cartoon, I hope the GOP realizes what a short leash they are on right now. If they ignore that reality, they'll be the ones licking their wounds in 2012.

It is always, always, better when more of us vote. It preserves the very idea upon which this nation was founded.

The converse is also true.

Those rights are/will vaporize/vaporizing anyway.

As a conflict theorist, to me, one of the only truths in life is that EVERY human being is motivated ONLY by some sort of personal gain. You fulfill a need to exercise your rights by voting, that is your motivation. I reinforce my disgust with my life and the system by not allowing anyone my support; that is my motivation.

What we called the american dream is too far gone too save; the people on top will continue to step on you and I until the tower collapses. That's all we have left IMO. The best I can do is live my life to it's fullest with what I have. And that means (for me, someone who is sometimes easily worked up) eliminating extraneous bull$h! that causes stress. Extraneous bull$h! tends to include MOST to ALL politics, people who exist in drama and 98.5% of the news and media (gossip).

That's a bleak outlook, I know. But that's who I am. (I say this to justify my actions to those of you I respect)

Besides, Gore vs. Bush proved that the popular vote means absolutely nothing. The people who hold the power (society's elite) will CONTINUE to hold the power.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM
  • Downvote 3

Besides, Gore vs. Bush proved that the popular vote means absolutely nothing. The people who hold the power (society's elite) will CONTINUE to hold the power.

It doesn't mean nothing; it just showed that the candidates were virtually equally bad (or good), so it didn't really matter which we ended up with.

"I'm not a witch"

lol

so this ex sheriff (like 33 years) retired is running for a county comish spot. his platform is fire county workers, cut their pay, cut budgets, cut fire, police....

says he will take the co comish job with a 10k paycut and no per diem.

nice. has anyone asked him if he is getting a police pension?

can you say 'double dipping'?

FOG, I'll let the issue drop with you right here. If we were sitting around the same table I would not. I'll leave you with this thought:

Even if I agree with your assessment of our current status, I would still consider exercising my right to vote to be critical. The reason is simple: even if America is dead, I demand to have the right to vote in what comes after. And I will demand it as long as I live.

I voted on about half of the things on my ballet. In general, I voted for the person that had the least negative advertising against their opponent, had the best education and professional credentials, and had the least amount of political rhetoric in their statements. I didn't have much time to research everything as thoroughly as I'd like.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.