Random Thoughts Thread

Tonight my wife and I are having a date night. She let me pick the movie. Because I am genteel, sophisticated, and whatnot, I decided we should go to see the Minions Movie.

No, I don't care what any of you think. Screw off :P

NICE! And that movie looks awesome so no judgement here other than you have fun taste in movies!

Tonight my wife and I are having a date night. She let me pick the movie. Because I am genteel, sophisticated, and whatnot, I decided we should go to see the Minions Movie.

I can't wait to see it! Minions are my favorite!

I can't wait to see it! Minions are my favorite!

Those little guys are so damn funny!

I guess I can't expect everyone to be good at debating (or you know, rational thought...) but the number of times I've gotten nothing more than the "you're a shill!" response in the past few days is getting absurd. 

• Agree 1

another day and yet another one bites the dust at work. I swear, I look out for the young ones; I warn 'em weeks before it happens. They gotta get a pep in their step. A real sense of urgency. A drive to be more than just the sum of their parts. Effort and results.

Too bad. 

Actually, good riddance. No more lazy jerkoffs at work.

The Minions movie exists because the studio wants to make a billion dollars selling toys. IMO the second movie suffered because they took time away from the good characters and overall plot to give kids more of the inane "fart joke" humor of the minions, but I'll be damned if it's not twice as profitable for them.

Watching Batman & Robin from 1949.

The crooks are in a stolen truck & see a car coming toward them, a bone stock 1949 Merc convertible. One crook yells out "It's Batman!'

I yell out "How can you tell??"

Can't tell you how disappointed I was to see they had no 'Batmobile', even tho earlier comics had this:

2241946-1943b20_batmobile.0.jpg 

• Agree 1

One of my best friends is supposed to be picking up a 1.0 Fiesta hatch today. I'm pretty stoked as I'll get to drive the lil guy. He's actually trading in his '08 Challenger R/T for it lol..little different.. Priotities change as we get older and spending 1/4 the money on gas will help. Between him only putting premium in the Challenger and the 43mpg highway the Fiesta gets on regular should make a little difference.  

Heh just pulled off an all nighter and all day'er. 

I spilled my guts this morning though. But it was a good one. I had it all lined up while on the can. I must have lost like 10 lbs. Nothing in my belly, my bladder or my you know what. Refreshing. Totally wasted from the last night. Did not get lucky at the bar though. I did have something going but I was flat out done, and unfortunately not prepared.

(Dammit!)

(Dammit!)

(Dammit!)

Edited by Drew Dowdell
fixed

I couldnt tell if it was a 6 or 8 from that angle like Thed or if the cylinders are inline or in a Vee formation, but I have a feeling this engine is older than all of us.  It aint a modern piece of machinery. I think its older than what Thed's suggestion of the 1980s....I think its from the 1950s.

A 1954-1957 Mercedes 300SL perhaps?

Edited by oldshurst442

I've always been interested in astronomy, but never had a telescope. Recently picked up a pair of star-gazing binoculars (25x70 magnification) and spent an hour just looking at nothing last night, pointing the binoculars where there were no stars and marveling at a hundred points of light appearing everywhere I looked.

When I was first getting them focused and adjusted, I just happened to catch a satellite in orbit. I geeked out a bit, haha.

Can't wait for a clear night!

I guess the off-hand snipe @ Mercedes in the pic post didn't come across.

It's certainly not a mercedes- I did check and saw no 4-row MB chains.

O/H442 : you are going in the right direction.

Could this be one of the Military spec engines Chrysler built for the war effort or Ram did for an old Power Wagon?

I guess the off-hand snipe @ Mercedes in the pic post didn't come across.

It's certainly not a mercedes- I did check and saw no 4-row MB chains.

O/H442 : you are going in the right direction.

Could this be one of the Military spec engines Chrysler built for the war effort or Ram did for an old Power Wagon?

I was thinking tank engine....during the 1940s...

And after close inspection of that pic...I FINALLY saw where the cylinders call home and go up and down...and I realized that....they are in a straight line...

Id like to say that I too...prefer a 300-E as a Mopar rather than a German...

Inline engine...

It looks like a husky motor. That is why I said tank motor.

Its automotive...so...if the motor is beefy...that means it belonged in a huge car....and if I was right is saying its an older design...

Jeez Louise...inline engines of the 1920s,1930s, 1940s....

Stove bolt 6....not big enough and Chevys are not beefy enough.

Its too late in the night for me to start thinking about 1920, 1930s, 1940s inline engines...

Good night.

You can have your weakly-engineered mercedes' engines.

Feast your eyes on a 4-row timing chain:

SS2015-07-20_zpstq8wultv.jpg

and take a stab at what it's from.

Is this part of the SpitFire Engine Series?

I know Oldsmobiles and Buicks had inline 8 engines...and they were in big cars...

But somehow I dont see that many timing chains in them...

Which leads me to ask this...if not a tank...because the engine looks like a robust engine so... many timing chains....that might suggest a racing car?

Alfa Romeo had inline 6s and 8s for their race cars...but I cant visualize a big robust engine in a small Alfa racer...

Mercedes raced slightly bigger cars than Alfas...but you said it aint a Mercedes engine...

Im leaning towards European though....

I dont know enough about Rolls Royce or Bugatti...but Ill go with Rolls Royce...their cars were big cars to house a big engine...because I keep on coming to that beefy engine...

Rolls Royce is my final answer, Regis.

RegisHosts.jpg

Rolls (automotively) has primarily built QUITE pedestrian, run-of-the-mill engines. It is NOT Rolls; this is far above them, engineering-wise.

- - - - -

I will answer the question here : this is a rare look inside of a Duesenberg I-8. Note the loose SECOND 4-row chain…. to drive the double overhead cams.

A 4-row timing chain may be unique in automotive usage. I've never seen an aftermarket hi-po chain that beefy.

Duesenberg...wow...never even crossed my mind...because I dont get to hear things about them anymore...anywhere about anything...Duesenbergs are rarely in my train of thoughts...

I did not want to go with Rolls Royce....but I did not have any other ideas...I was stuck...

Thanx for that...it made me use my automotive knowledge logically and I used process of elimination to the best degree that I could.  I may have a limited amount of engine builders knowledge...Im just happy that at least I was in the right direction...

PS: The Spitfire....and as it happens, the Mustang too... in my sig,  pushed me to say Rolls Royce.

Edited by oldshurst442