• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Hyundai News:Hyundai Introduces the Vision G Concept

What you see before you is the Hyundai Vision G Concept, which debut yesterday at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. This concept gives a hint of what the Korean automaker possibly has in store for higher end vehicles.

"The design is our interpretation of the idea that Hyundai breathes into all of its vehicles – a DNA that balances design and performance with the idea that you don’t need to be over the top in terms of glitz and stereotypical luxury cues,” said Peter Schreyer, Hyundai’s president and chief design officer.

This is evident when compare the Vision G to another Hyundai luxury concept, the HCD-14. Where the HCD-14 was striking with a large grille, suicide doors, and oversized carbon-fiber wheels, the Vision G concept is quite the opposite. The Vision G concept features such details such as a long hood, high-beltline, and roofline that extends all the way to the trunk. The interior is richly detailed in quilted leather and wood trim. The dashboard boasts a wide, LCD screen.

For power, the Vision G uses the 5.0L V8 found under the hood of the Genesis and Equus sedans. The V8 produces 420 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque.

Hyundai will be showing off the Vision G Concept at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday.

Source: Hyundai

Press Release is on Page 2

HYUNDAI PREMIERES “VISION G” COUPE CONCEPT AT LACMA

• Introduces Concept as Evolution of Hyundai’s ‘Responsible and Respectful’ Luxury Family of Products

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif. Aug. 11, 2015 – Hyundai Motor America revealed the “Vision G” Concept Coupe to a select group of media at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). The concept was described as Hyundai’s inspiration for its family of future premium products that promise luxury, performance and style with the value and responsibility that is the foundation of Hyundai’s brand.

“The concept was designed with coordinated input from Hyundai design studios around the world, but was led by our team here in the U.S.,” said Peter Schreyer, Hyundai’s president and chief design officer. “The design is our interpretation of the idea that Hyundai breathes into all of its vehicles – a DNA that balances design and performance with the idea that you don’t need to be over the top in terms of glitz and stereotypical luxury cues.”

During the design process, Hyundai’s team of designers centered their work on the notion of “chivalry” – a word they felt best defined the idea that one doesn’t need to shout to be noticed and respected. “Vision G” is purposefully understated, despite its size and dramatic lines. One example of this respectful luxury – and a nod to the self-sufficiency of the driver – is a technology that automatically opens the door as if being opened by a valet.

The exterior styling of the concept is highlighted by a long hood, high-beltline and a cabin that presents a slingshot-like appearance. “In keeping with a design that speaks to the owner rather than ‘the spectators’ who might see the car on the road, Vision G appears dynamic and in constant motion,” said Christopher Chapman, head of Hyundai’s U.S. design center and leader of the coupe’s design team. “After all – and if all is right in the world – the only time an owner sees the exterior of the car is when it’s standing still.”

The underlying idea of respectful luxury flows into the interior, underscored by its clarity and simplicity. No glaring examples of luxury, but rather elegant lines and finishes.

The heart of “Vision G” is the award-winning 5.0-liter Tau V8 engine producing 420 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 383 lb. ft. of torque at 5,000 rpm. The Tau V8 engine family has been named to Ward’s prestigious Ten Best Engines list three times. With high-pressure direct injection for impressive power, low emissions and superb efficiency, this latest version of the Tau V8 benefits from an optimized intake runner length, enhanced timing chain for reduced friction and NVH, low-torque exhaust manifold, increased compression ratio and upgraded multiple-injection mapping. These enhancements combine to produce a flatter torque curve at lower rpm for even better driveability.

“Vision G” will next be shown at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on Sunday, August 16 in Monterey, Calif.

View full article

hyunday-vision-g-coupe-concept_02.jpg?it

I dont know what to think about the looks of it.

It aint ugly.

It aint pretty.

It aint bad actually......

I dont like it.

I dont hate it.

Its interesting...

And THAT is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

I like how it looks from the front or side, but the back looks odd.  Looks like they stole Jag XJ tail lights, but it also looks like a mish-mash of Regal and XTS from the back.   I like that there is no B pillar, but somehow I guess if this made production the B pillar would be in there and it would be less cool.

Good engine with the V8, a V8 luxury coupe would be cool since Lincoln won't do a Mark VIII successor and Buick has no Riviera and Cadillac no Eldorado. 

Nothing can touch the Avenir concept for luxury GT design, which is what this thing vaguely reminds me of from the rear and profile. Maybe it's a stretch, but this Hyundai design doesn't move me. Front feels like some kind of Kia/Aston/Fusion mashup.

Moar better.

2015-Buick-Avenir-Concept-057-1024x579.j

• Upvote 1

yeah...I could see where you are coming from...the rear buttocks remind me of the Avenir somewhat also.  But the Avenir is not a coupe, and as SMK said, about Lincoln not doing a Mark VIII and Buick not having a Riviera and an El Miraj / Eldorado still a decade away...this car...with a V8 making 400 horsepower under the hood is a cool thing none the less...

And thanx to you...I can now see the Fusion headlights in the design...Im not sure how to handle that though...Ill tell you tomorrow...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

The midsection of the body is quite lovely! I just love a large coupe. A Buick Avenir coupe would make a great and properly RWD Riviera!

They can lure disloyal designers from any company they want.  If the bones are junk, that will remain as underlying truth.

• Upvote 1

hyunday-vision-g-coupe-concept_02.jpg?it

I dont know what to think about the looks of it.

It aint ugly.

It aint pretty.

It aint bad actually......

I dont like it.

I dont hate it.

Its interesting...

And THAT is a good thing.

Holy F. I think that looks abslutely amazing.  Talk about presense on the road. That front end demands it. I haven't read the article but they better plan on using an equally powerful drivetrain.

is it me or does it seem the gaping grill is just a lazy design element nowadays?

otherwise, i do like it. overall. the back end is still almost a blank slate, in a bad way.

Nothing can touch the Avenir concept for luxury GT design, which is what this thing vaguely reminds me of from the rear and profile. Maybe it's a stretch, but this Hyundai design doesn't move me. Front feels like some kind of Kia/Aston/Fusion mashup.

Moar better.

2015-Buick-Avenir-Concept-057-1024x579.j

That Avenir is just gorgeous and I haven't said that about a Buick in a long time! It would be nice if GM would just go ahead and pull the trigger on this already.

The difference between the Hyundai concept and the Avenir (aside from number of doors) is Hyundai probably has the guts to build their car, the Avenir will probably sit on the shelf because the bean counters won't be able to "build a business case" for it.

If you want a full size, V8, rear drive coupe, there is the Challenger, or spend over $100k for an S-class coupe or over $200k for a Bentley.  Pretty limited choices.

They can lure disloyal designers from any company they want.  If the bones are junk, that will remain as underlying truth.

Would I be crossing the line in telling you that you are full of sunshine today?

I know it aint a GM car...but can you at least admire the bloody car?

Or hate the way it looks...I dont care either way....its just that your posting style today struck me as odd behavior.

The fact of the matter is still this:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26337/go-lutz-yourself-driven-by-design/

From the link (posted today in Road and Track):

"There aren't any bad cars anymore. They just don't exist. The days of seeing a comparison test of four cars where one is the obvious loser are gone, replaced by a new age of automotive equality. Reliability, braking, steering, handling, ride, and refinement are all largely on par across automakers and segments. That leaves just one chief differentiator: design."

"Who's consistently at the top? Hyundai and Kia. Everything that company does is beautifully executed, thanks to the efforts of head designer Peter Schreyer."

Two things that I want to show you

1. All cars today are about on the same level of reliability...some are still better than others....like that paragragh says...

2. Buick may or may not build the Avenir, but Im willing to bet that Hyundai WILL produce this thing in the next two years...and THAT is a good thing...for us...the car enthusiasts...

Dont mean to single you out today...Im sorry if it seems that way...but your posts just struck a chord with me today.

I hope we could remain friendly to each other regardless of what has transpired today between us.

PS: Im actually down with the Fusion headlight design in this car...

Edited by oldshurst442

Is that a Big Mouth Billy Bass you have there Hyundia?

Is that a Big Mouth Billy Bass you have there Hyundia?

Weird, but I like it A LOT on this car. I guess they just incorporated it very well to me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Hyundai had set itself a high bar when it launched the sixth-generation Sonata for the 2010 model year. It stood out from a crowded field of midsize sedans with an exterior shape that resembled a Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. The Sonata also boasted a comfortable interior, loads of technology features, a good selection of engines, and a nice balance between comfort and sport. Replacing this model would be a tough task and one Hyundai wasn’t able to meet. When the seventh-generation model rolled out at 2014 New York Auto Show, you could hear the cry of a sad trombone. The new Sonata had gone conservative in its design. Compared to Chevrolet, Honda, and Toyota that rolled out bold styling on their sedans, the Sonata went backwards with a conservative look.
      Hyundai realized they need to make some drastic changes to Sonata to give it a fighting chance not only against other sedans, but from the growing demand for crossovers of all sizes. This brings us to the 2018 Sonata Limited. It was time to find out if Hyundai had found that magic once again.
      This being a refresh, Hyundai couldn’t go completely crazy in terms of the design language, however the updates really help the Sonata have more presence. Up front is bolder with a new hexagonal grille surround, chrome grille slats, new sculpting on the hood, and deep cuts in the bumper for LED fog lights. The side profile retains the chrome trim that runs through the headlights and around the windows. Hyundai made some drastic changes for the rear by smoothing out the trunk lid and moving the placement of the license plate to the bumper. 
      The Sonata’s interior retains the basic shape of the outgoing model, but changes have been made to freshen it up. The center stack boasts a revised control layout and all trims get a three-spoke steering wheel. Previously, only the Sport trim got this wheel design. It would have been nice if Hyundai was a little bit more adventurous with the design, but I’m willing to forgive some of this feeling as the controls fall easily into hand. Interior materials are about average for the class with a mix of hard and soft plastics.
      The front seats were designed with long-distance comfort in mind with a fair amount of seat padding and just the right amount of firmness. Power adjustments for both driver and passenger are standard on the Limited and offer a generous range of adjustments. Space in the back is quite roomy and there are some nice touches such as manual window shades. The Sonata has one of the largest trunks in the class with 16.3 cubic feet of space on offer.
      All Sonata’s come with a 7-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s BlueLink infotainment system. Our test Sonata Limited had the optional 8-inch screen with navigation. The current BlueLink system has been with us for a few years and its interface is beginning to look somewhat dated, but the system is still one of the best when it comes to overall usability with large touchscreen buttons, bright screen, and a simple interface. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard on all Sonatas except the base SE.
      Sonata offers one of the widest range of powertrains in the segment with three gas engines, a hybrid, and plug-in hybrid. Our Sonata Limited came with the base 2.4L inline-four producing 185 horsepower and 178 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic routing power to the front wheels. The engine provides adequate power for around town and rural driving. You will need to step on it when making a pass or merging onto a freeway as torque resides higher in the rev band. The six-speed automatic goes about its business smoothly and always knows what gear it needs to be in. Hyundai does offer an eight-speed automatic, but only if you opt for the turbocharged 2.0L.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Sonata Limited are 25 City/35 Highway/28 Combined (SE models see a one mpg increase in highway and combined figures). My average for the week landed around 28.5 mpg.
      Hyundai did make some tweaks to the 2018 Sonata’s suspension including a revised rear suspension setup with thicker trailing arms and revised steering system. The end result is a Sonata that handles much better than the previous car. Body motion has noticeably decreased and the steering provides decent weight when turning. Thankfully, the tweaks made to the suspension haven’t affected the Sonata’s ride quality. Bumps and other road imperfections are soaked up before reaching passengers. Some of the credit has to go to Hyundai not going crazy on offering large wheels - the Limited seen here rides on 17-inch wheels. Road and wind noise are kept to near silent levels.
      My first impression seeing the 2018 Sonata was that Hyundai had improved it, but was still a bit short when compared to the work done by other automakers. Spending a week with the Sonata caused me to change my train of thought; It surprised me how much work Hyundai put into this mid-cycle refresh and brings the Sonata up to the point where I would say it is fighting for best-in-class honors. 
      While the 2018 Sonata may lack most of the pizzazz found in the sixth-generation model, it does show that Hyundai has learned from its mistake and worked to reclaim some of the magic.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Sonata, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Sonata
      Trim: Limited
      Engine: 2.4L GDI DOHC D-CVVT Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic. Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 185 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 178 @ 4,000 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/35/28
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Montgomery, AL
      Base Price: $27,400
      As Tested Price: $31,310 (Includes $885.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Ultimate Package - $2,900.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai had set itself a high bar when it launched the sixth-generation Sonata for the 2010 model year. It stood out from a crowded field of midsize sedans with an exterior shape that resembled a Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. The Sonata also boasted a comfortable interior, loads of technology features, a good selection of engines, and a nice balance between comfort and sport. Replacing this model would be a tough task and one Hyundai wasn’t able to meet. When the seventh-generation model rolled out at 2014 New York Auto Show, you could hear the cry of a sad trombone. The new Sonata had gone conservative in its design. Compared to Chevrolet, Honda, and Toyota that rolled out bold styling on their sedans, the Sonata went backwards with a conservative look.
      Hyundai realized they need to make some drastic changes to Sonata to give it a fighting chance not only against other sedans, but from the growing demand for crossovers of all sizes. This brings us to the 2018 Sonata Limited. It was time to find out if Hyundai had found that magic once again.
      This being a refresh, Hyundai couldn’t go completely crazy in terms of the design language, however the updates really help the Sonata have more presence. Up front is bolder with a new hexagonal grille surround, chrome grille slats, new sculpting on the hood, and deep cuts in the bumper for LED fog lights. The side profile retains the chrome trim that runs through the headlights and around the windows. Hyundai made some drastic changes for the rear by smoothing out the trunk lid and moving the placement of the license plate to the bumper. 
      The Sonata’s interior retains the basic shape of the outgoing model, but changes have been made to freshen it up. The center stack boasts a revised control layout and all trims get a three-spoke steering wheel. Previously, only the Sport trim got this wheel design. It would have been nice if Hyundai was a little bit more adventurous with the design, but I’m willing to forgive some of this feeling as the controls fall easily into hand. Interior materials are about average for the class with a mix of hard and soft plastics.
      The front seats were designed with long-distance comfort in mind with a fair amount of seat padding and just the right amount of firmness. Power adjustments for both driver and passenger are standard on the Limited and offer a generous range of adjustments. Space in the back is quite roomy and there are some nice touches such as manual window shades. The Sonata has one of the largest trunks in the class with 16.3 cubic feet of space on offer.
      All Sonata’s come with a 7-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s BlueLink infotainment system. Our test Sonata Limited had the optional 8-inch screen with navigation. The current BlueLink system has been with us for a few years and its interface is beginning to look somewhat dated, but the system is still one of the best when it comes to overall usability with large touchscreen buttons, bright screen, and a simple interface. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are standard on all Sonatas except the base SE.
      Sonata offers one of the widest range of powertrains in the segment with three gas engines, a hybrid, and plug-in hybrid. Our Sonata Limited came with the base 2.4L inline-four producing 185 horsepower and 178 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic routing power to the front wheels. The engine provides adequate power for around town and rural driving. You will need to step on it when making a pass or merging onto a freeway as torque resides higher in the rev band. The six-speed automatic goes about its business smoothly and always knows what gear it needs to be in. Hyundai does offer an eight-speed automatic, but only if you opt for the turbocharged 2.0L.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Sonata Limited are 25 City/35 Highway/28 Combined (SE models see a one mpg increase in highway and combined figures). My average for the week landed around 28.5 mpg.
      Hyundai did make some tweaks to the 2018 Sonata’s suspension including a revised rear suspension setup with thicker trailing arms and revised steering system. The end result is a Sonata that handles much better than the previous car. Body motion has noticeably decreased and the steering provides decent weight when turning. Thankfully, the tweaks made to the suspension haven’t affected the Sonata’s ride quality. Bumps and other road imperfections are soaked up before reaching passengers. Some of the credit has to go to Hyundai not going crazy on offering large wheels - the Limited seen here rides on 17-inch wheels. Road and wind noise are kept to near silent levels.
      My first impression seeing the 2018 Sonata was that Hyundai had improved it, but was still a bit short when compared to the work done by other automakers. Spending a week with the Sonata caused me to change my train of thought; It surprised me how much work Hyundai put into this mid-cycle refresh and brings the Sonata up to the point where I would say it is fighting for best-in-class honors. 
      While the 2018 Sonata may lack most of the pizzazz found in the sixth-generation model, it does show that Hyundai has learned from its mistake and worked to reclaim some of the magic.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Sonata, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Sonata
      Trim: Limited
      Engine: 2.4L GDI DOHC D-CVVT Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic. Front-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 185 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 178 @ 4,000 
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 25/35/28
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Montgomery, AL
      Base Price: $27,400
      As Tested Price: $31,310 (Includes $885.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Ultimate Package - $2,900.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai's N performance division is beginning to make itself known with the i30 N for Europe and the Veloster N for North America. But the group has its eyes set on something bigger.
      “I can tell you Albert Biermann [Hyundai engineering boss] and myself are interested in hot things and have some ideas in the pipeline for a halo model - rest assured we are coming up with something,” said Thomas Schemera, vice president of Hyundai's high-performance and motorsport.
      Schemera wouldn't spill any details about the vehicle, only saying that more information would be revealed soon. According to Auto Express, there is an internal debate going on as to what the 'halo' model will look like - a two-seater coupe and a four-door sedan are in the discussions.
      Source: Auto Express, Roadshow

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai's N performance division is beginning to make itself known with the i30 N for Europe and the Veloster N for North America. But the group has its eyes set on something bigger.
      “I can tell you Albert Biermann [Hyundai engineering boss] and myself are interested in hot things and have some ideas in the pipeline for a halo model - rest assured we are coming up with something,” said Thomas Schemera, vice president of Hyundai's high-performance and motorsport.
      Schemera wouldn't spill any details about the vehicle, only saying that more information would be revealed soon. According to Auto Express, there is an internal debate going on as to what the 'halo' model will look like - a two-seater coupe and a four-door sedan are in the discussions.
      Source: Auto Express, Roadshow
    • By William Maley
      Rumors of a possible buyer for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles have popped up again. Late last week, the Asia Times learned from sources that Hyundai Motor Group CEO Chung Mong-koo is waiting for "an expected decline" in shares of FCA before launching a takeover bid attempt. This is expected to launch sometime between the summer and "prior to the Fiat-Chrysler annual shareholders’ meeting in May 2019."
      Reportedly, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne drew Hyundai's attention by using interest from Great Wall Motor.
      The deal is being spurred by Paul Singer, the principal of Elliott Management. Singer made headlines in April by pressuring Hyundai to merge with Mobius, their parts' division to create a new holding company and demanded the company to pay investors more than $10 billion in “excess cash.”
      Marchionne has been trying his damnedest to try and find a merger partner for the past few years.
      Tried to work with General Motors CEO Mary Barra about possibly merging the two companies in 2015, but was turned down. Rumors about possibly merging with Volkswagen, but was told no. Various Chinese automakers considered bidding on FCA, but most deny it. Great Wall was considering only purchasing Jeep. However, plans for this were put on ice Here is the question we find ourselves wondering about, why would Hyundai consider buying FCA? Aside from getting their hands on Jeep and Ram Trucks (FCA's money makers), FCA would be gaining the most from this possible deal.
      To throw another wrench into this, Hyundai is currently in the midsts of a reorganization effort and part of that includes possibly replacing Mong-koo who is 80 years old.
      Both FCA and Hyundai declined to comment.
      Source: Asia Times
      Thanks @regfootball for the news tip

View full article
  • My Clubs