Why So Dead?

Yeah, I think yesterday was the first day I worked and never posted anything. There was nothing exciting going on.. 

Also, I think there are "calmer" days when the trolly-troll-trolls aren't brand humping and pissing everybody off. They're the "even bad publicity is still good publicity"(or whatever that phrase is) when it comes to hits/views on a website.  

Just post anything Ford/GM/FCA and you can be sure people will come out of the woodwork to hump or bash. 

Edited by ccap41

Life has been a bit depressing for me the last couple of months, work has been exhausting as I fight multiple issues in multiple IBM Websphere Portal clustered environments and DB/2 on AS/400... At least the dogs are healthy, my Jeep is still running and I have plenty of my happy pills, sleeping pills and wine... 

Though here in the desert, May-Sept is the $h!ty time of year, so I will probably be more online than outside..

Yeah, Frisky....

My "fun" thread also bombed.

Thanx for posting in it anyway....

And thanx to Drew and Mr. DFELT as well for posting in it too!

And CCAP and Mr. FordCosworth!

Hey El K...

Thinking of you always.... because of what is happening at Fort McMurray. 

Terrible....I feel soooo bad!

Edited by oldshurst442

I liked your Vette v Benz thread, I don't think it bombed

Agreeeeeeed

I always liked Frisky's threads! I just didn't always have time to get and upload the pics because I have to do that on my phone from work(can't use work computers for that crap - lol ) so it's really time consuming to upload a bunch of pics. 

• Agree 1

Well alrighty then!!!!!

Like I said, Im gonna make all my threads a HOT TOPIC here on out!!!!

So, instead of saying my thread bombed....Ill say it was DA BOMB!!!! 8)

Im at the work computer, I cant post pics and memes.... :(

The little yellow guys do a great job!

I'm sure part of the slowness is my general absence from the forums lately.  As I mentioned in the Random Thoughts thread, I'll be here more often after mid-May.  After May 15th, I have only one work trip left that will keep me away from the forums.

Edit:  Frisky, I fully intend to go back and post in all of your What to buy under X.X liters threads.  I think they are fun and like those kinds of threads, I just haven't had the time to be here much. 

I'm sure part of the slowness is my general absence from the forums lately.  As I mentioned in the Random Thoughts thread, I'll be here more often after mid-May.  After May 15th, I have only one work trip left that will keep me away from the forums.

Edit:  Frisky, I fully intend to go back and post in all of your What to buy under X.X liters threads.  I think they are fun and like those kinds of threads, I just haven't had the time to be here much. 

And I will be sure to look at all of them! 

That "what if" with cars has always been fun to me, for who-knows-why reason. 

Yeah, Frisky....

Hey El K...

If I told you all the things I've seen and done over the last day or three... well, it's been pretty crazy, put it that way.

Not much interesting going on in the auto world right now from my POV. Also, thin-skinned haters tend to be a buzzkill.

People who troll for no good reason tend to be a buzzkill as well.

Are you going to be the one to go down this road?

Seriously?

Yeah, Frisky....

Hey El K...

If I told you all the things I've seen and done over the last day or three... well, it's been pretty crazy, put it that way.

Not much interesting going on in the auto world right now from my POV. Also, thin-skinned haters tend to be a buzzkill.

People who troll for no good reason tend to be a buzzkill as well.

Are you going to be the one to go down this road?

Seriously?

Are you going to be the one who thinks I'm talking about just him?

Way to not help your cause there Bong. You are normally not this bad but you have been hitting the trolling extra hard here and clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way so if you want to flip out and try to go after me, go for it but it will literally go nowhere.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Super dead the last 24hrs.. 

I noticed the same thing but this is going to happen after several weeks of very intense discussions across multiple threads. There is always the "letdown" period before it seems to start back up again. It also happens when the repeating trolls get set aside for their actions. That does tend to pare the posts down because no one has to deal with the trolling BS afterwards until it all starts anew on the next "My Ford is better than your Chevy" (and vice versa obviously) or "Cadillac sucks because they can't blah blah blah" thread. The other factor is that those kind of threads can get a little tiring to see the EXACT same "arguments" made time and time again. 

I noticed the same thing but this is going to happen after several weeks of very intense discussions across multiple threads. There is always the "letdown" period before it seems to start back up again. It also happens when the repeating trolls get set aside for their actions. That does tend to pare the posts down because no one has to deal with the trolling BS afterwards until it all starts anew on the next "My Ford is better than your Chevy" (and vice versa obviously) or "Cadillac sucks because they can't blah blah blah" thread. The other factor is that those kind of threads can get a little tiring to see the EXACT same "arguments" made time and time again. 

Yeah I have noticed most of exactly what you described as well.. it just doesn't usually get quite this dead. But then again when searching the magazines' websites there wasn't much good there either to talk about anyway. 

Yeah I have noticed most of exactly what you described as well.. it just doesn't usually get quite this dead. But then again when searching the magazines' websites there wasn't much good there either to talk about anyway. 

We're in the quiet season of automotive news. There isn't really much to report and it shows. Hence, why I'm not doing much in news writing.  Like Drew, I'm working in the background. There will hopefully be a constant stream of reviews and editorials in a few weeks (currently through backlog that stretches back to January).

motor trend and car and driver have been really pathetic lately.  Autoblog has been terrible since Detroit auto show or perhaps beyond that.  Places i used to go for auto news like Edmunds and USA today have gotten useless and stale too.

I actually am postulating here that car web sites and car journalism have really taken a hit in the last 5 years or so.

It's been all about mpg.  So now everything is a downsized cracker box....or a CUV.  Hardly any performance cars and car styling has gone snooze too.  Cars really are just appliances, devices.

Lots of technology has been developing at a rapid pace...but we are so spoiled by the tech we are used to and expect that its like nothing for the automakers to spit out new features and innovations that are trouble free, all the time.

Like it was said above, its a slow time of the year for car news, but me thinks it may be a permanent slow down unless the EV onslaught comes up faster and even then, gear heads are not going to wax rhetoric about electric motors.

Been visiting other GM sites, during the lull....stuff like gm-volt.com, cruzetalk etc.  Gets you nice tidbits of info on how the cars are doing real world.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1

The new server seems to load pages a lot faster... you guys should try to rough it up a bit.

My desktop at work is still saying the server is down (moving to a new server)but the site works from my phone.

Just a heads up incase this isn't isolated.

The new server seems to load pages a lot faster... you guys should try to rough it up a bit.

My desktop at work is still saying the server is down (moving to a new server)but the site works from my phone.

Refresh your DNS or reboot. All that is showing is that your DNS servers haven't received the updated location of the website yet.

Refresh your DNS or reboot. All that is showing is that your DNS servers haven't received the updated location of the website yet.

Thank you!

It took awhile as I didn't want to save and reopen everything I had but I did this morning. Thanks ya!

• 3 weeks later...

For me at least, most of my free time in the last week or two has been devoted to getting the site ready for its big upgrade. I'm hoping to have us comfortably into our new software by mid-july, but it's going to take nearly full day of downtime plus another 3 days of post rebuilding by the server before we're finally put back together again.   It will be worth it though for us to get off of this outdated software. 

Every test upgrade I have run takes 8 hours minimum to finish to the point where I can even get into the control panel to start adjusting things. That's what we get for having more than 13 years of posts here.

• Agree 3

so no lost of posts in the change over?

No loss of any of our content. Posts stay the same, articles will remain, your upvote/downvotes remain the same, gallery images are all there, signatures will still be there, garage will still be there.  One of the reasons I'm working so hard at this is because I want all of our history to remain intact. 

The look and layout will be updated. I'm probably going to have to go back and tweek the formatting of the articles, but they'll still be there. We'll also have a new logo and slogan.

The biggest initial source of headache will be for users who log in with a name other than their display name.  In the new system, everyone will log in with their display name.

Very cool to read Drew.  Question you say 3 days to rebuild everything and bring it up. Does that mean the site will be down during this change over or will we still have access?

Very cool to read Drew.  Question you say 3 days to rebuild everything and bring it up. Does that mean the site will be down during this change over or will we still have access?

There will be about a 12 to 18 hour period where you will have no access.  After that, I will open the site back up and you will be able to post.  However, for about 3 days after I open the board, posts that were made before the upgrade will not look right.  There will be broken links, missing attachments, missing emoticons, things formatted weirdly.   The server will go through and rebuild each and every post made so that they look correct and fix those issues, but it will take about 3 days to complete.