regfootball

DRIVEN: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer LT AWD 3.6

39 minutes ago, dfelt said:

But would you pay $52K for a Blazer RS package?

I don't think that's an entry price for the vehicle RS trim?

I would not get the Blazer because it really only looks decent with the big wheel and tire packages. At that point I might as well consider paying a $1000/yr road tax as I'm sure I'll lose my shirt, pants and the pocket change inside when it comes time to replace tires and replace damaged wheels.

12 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I think the base four cylinder isn't that much of an issue even considering Toyota and Hyundai offer similar setups in lower trims of their midsize 2/3 rows.

Holy sh!t.. I didn't realize the 2.7 was in the Highlander and it starts at 31k. That's nuts. 

26 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

45k for an AWD RS 

42k for a FWD RS 

42k for an ST Edge(standard AWD), FWIW. 

29 minutes ago, Suaviloquent said:

True, but when you add what other OEMs have as standard at a lower price, I ended up with a $52K RS AWD that I had to question why would I pay that for a Chevy.

47 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Even before 1930, Cadillac was never really so exclusive that nobody could ever afford it.  Bentley and Rolls-Royce were never cheap enough to be leased by anyone who wanted to look rich. 

If your aspiration is that Buick take Cadillac's (current) place in the current automotive landscape and as a result Cadillac take on B/RR, then who inside GM will do that?  What is the plan?  Remember that Mercedes-Benz wanted Maybach to take on B/RR and it failed because of lack of sales, among other factors.  B/RR NEVER went downmarket; Cadillac did go downmarket in the middle of the 20th Century to maximize sales.  Cadillac becoming a full-line automaker did not help matters either because it led to more sales at the expense of exclusivity (especially after the 1976 Seville).

I'd disagree with some of your historical claims, and wonder where you encountered your information. 

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

OK Oldshurst, I get that you want Cadillac to be extremely aspirational to almost everyone.  You do not like the fact that Cadillac is more first-class than it is Lear/Gulfstream.  There is just one problem.  Even before 1930, Cadillac was never really so exclusive that nobody could ever afford it.  Bentley and Rolls-Royce were never cheap enough to be leased by anyone who wanted to look rich. 

If your aspiration is that Buick take Cadillac's (current) place in the current automotive landscape and as a result Cadillac take on B/RR, then who inside GM will do that?  What is the plan?  Remember that Mercedes-Benz wanted Maybach to take on B/RR and it failed because of lack of sales, among other factors.  B/RR NEVER went downmarket; Cadillac did go downmarket in the middle of the 20th Century to maximize sales.  Cadillac becoming a full-line automaker did not help matters either because it led to more sales at the expense of exclusivity (especially after the 1976 Seville).

I also doubt that Mary Barra will do this because she will see large amounts of cash being left on the table, so no dice.

Yes on the aspirational part. Besides the Escalade, what other Cadillac vehicles aspire people to own them?  The V Series stuff?

On a performance level, sure. But on a marketing level...nada. 

And there are many factors for that. Which I feel may not be necessary to start mentioning them in this thread.  

I am not going to start mentioning past aspirational projects that came to fruition but failed miserably in execution, but I will mention stuff like the Ciel, El Miraj where Cadillac should have built for production, and built to a Standard of the World standard, unlike the Evoq to XLR...and that would have almost been enough to get Cadillac back on top. 

Escala? This nice modern concept is nowhere to been seen...and by the time it gets here, if it gets here,  it may be too late to capture our hearts...

Its an SUV world...where are the jaw dropping Cadillac brashness SUVs? In the pipeline?

These should not be in the pipeline, these should be in the showroom floor NOW!  No XT4 and no XT5. 

REAL Cadillacs. 

Although the XT6 is par for the course for SUVs in this price range from ALL manufactures...boring as phoque SUVs, the XT6 should have felt more like a baby 'Slade in presence, stance and interior quality. Ive heard that the next generation 'Slade will have a worthy interior that blows away even the Navigator...well, THAT should have started with the XT6. Cadillac should have at least shown us aspiration with this new XT6. Instead, its par for the course. I defended the XT6, but maybe now, in hindsight to what Im ranting now with my diatribe, maybe I should be blasting it instead...

As far as position in the market place goes...

Yeah...I do not want Cadillac to go tooooo far down in affordability and mediocrity.  I do not want Cadillac to be a full line brand. But if it must it must. Ill break it down what I expect from Cadillac. Ill be using Porsche as my reference. 

Porsche was a boutique sports car maker. They tried to be affordable in the 1970s and 1980s using VW parts cars and they failed miserably.  Cadillac paralleled that in every way that I mentioned.

Porsche today though, is kinda like a full line brand and they did that somewhat successfully now.   But we do not know at what cost further down in the future as the Macan is a VW underneath...and is sold in mainstream numbers. Will that have detriment to the 911? Marketing comes in handy in these situations. Cadillac lacks desperately here...

Anyway...I want Cadillac to be where Porsche resides in the pricing of vehicles and in the prestige and aspiration in the minds of people. 

The Macan starts at 50 000 dollars. (next gen Macan and Porsche says it will be a 100% EV) 

The Boxtster starts at 60 000 dollars.

The Cayenne starts at 66 000 dollars.

The Panamera starts at 86 000 dollars.

The Taycan will probably be above 86 000 dollars

The 911 starts at 91 000 and goes up very quickly to 150 000/160 000

And the Porsche 918 is astronomical in price...

I do not think Porsche goes below 50 000.  I said that about Cadillac in that I do not want Cadillacs below that price. I believe I said that if Cadillac is going to do an ATS, I want the ATS to start at the ATS V level of performance with a starting price of 55 000 or 60 000. I want the CTS to start where the CTS V sport is in price and performance. But more on the CTS later...

If Cadillac is to do an XT4 or XT5...I want those to be BMW X4M and X6M competitors from the get go with a starting price tag of 55 000 for the XT4 and 60-65 000 dollar range and above. No XT4 and no XT5 to be sold to anybody to be Lexus and Acura RDX and Chevy Blazer competitors.  From the get go, aim high with those small CUVs. The Macan and the Cayenne aims high.  Yeah...XT4 and XT5 to be in competition to the Macan, Cayenne, BMW X4M and X5M/X6M...no less than that is acceptable for Cadillac. 

The CT6 could stay as is. 

The XT6 and CT5 (I could have a change of heart for the former CTS here)...those could be bread and butter models. Sure. 50 000 dollars. OK...but they better be engineered and produced and manufactured like  Standard of the World vehicles. No compromises. 

But as you see, the way Im thinking, the ATS, XT4, XT5 are no longer for the broken ass, over spending moron that goes from dealership to dealership,  trying to get an extra 20 dollars off a month of his lease payment and if he scores at BMW with the X3 or Mercedes with the CLA or at Lincoln or Genesis...then he is a happy camper showing off his entry level luxury bullshyte vehicle to other badge snob morons... 

Cadillac starts at a higher aspirational level...

And then we get to the nitty gritty things of where Cadillac was THE Standard of the World. Where it should reside it. Where it always resided in.

The 80 000 dollar threshold of luxury... Where the Escalade happily kicks the shyte out of any fullsized SUV selling company...

And then we go from there offering all kinds of aspirational sedans, coupes, convertibles,  SUVs.  You know, El Mirajs, Ciels, SUVs higher than the Escalade. Escalas that could reach price tags of 150 000 dollars. 

Isnt THAT what Cadillac was once upon a time ago? 

Porsche did it, non?  Cadillac is struggling to do it...after 20 years of trying. In the same time frame, Porsche is doing it...

Then once we do that, we can go for the occasional astronomical priced vehicle to compete with Rolls and Bentley.

The Ciens, the Evoqs, the Eldorado Broughams and anything else...

Edited by oldshurst442

who cares what how much the blazer costs... it is ugly at any price. gm can't make up their mind. blazer is ugly, acadia is dull. nothing in the whole pack that is actually good looking

• Upvote 1

When it comes to pre-WWII Cadillac, I was wrong.

My larger point about what Cadillac should be versus what it currently is, I think, is still valid.  While it would be great to see Cadillac START with base-level Escalade (or better still, $100K+), I do not see GM actually doing just that.  If GM would push Cadillac to being truly aspirational, that would allow GMC and especially Buick to enter the luxury space without cannibalizing Cadillac.  Too bad that GM will not do just that.

So far I've only been judging the Blazer from photos...hopefully there is one at the Cleveland Auto Show, going Saturday..will be interesting to see one in person and see how ugly it is in the plastic.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

So far I've only been judging the Blazer from photos...hopefully there is one at the Cleveland Auto Show, going Saturday..will be interesting to see one in person and see how ugly it is in the plastic.

it'll be there. They had them at the Pittsburgh show. 

20 hours ago, Potluck said:

who cares what how much the blazer costs... it is ugly at any price. gm can't make up their mind. blazer is ugly, acadia is dull. nothing in the whole pack that is actually good looking

Traverse and Enclave are pretty good.  I think the Traverse looks like a baby suburban.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Traverse and Enclave are pretty good.  I think the Traverse looks like a baby suburban.

best of the boring

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

it'll be there. They had them at the Pittsburgh show. 

Isn't this on dealer lots already? He might be able to go to his local dealership. 

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Isn't this on dealer lots already? He might be able to go to his local dealership. 

Maybe..no interest in going to the local Chevy dealer, though.  I enjoy going to the annual car show and strolling around a few hours...

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Maybe..no interest in going to the local Chevy dealer, though.  I enjoy going to the annual car show and strolling around a few hours...

Oh definitely. I would have liked to have gone to mine but I had to leave for Iowa for the weekend.. STL's is usually pretty weak anyway but it's still nice to see MOST of the new stuff. 

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

7 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes a few dealers have them. The shows outside of the big 4 in the US only really pull from dealer stock. It is unusual for them to get stuff like a concept or prototype.

47 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes a few dealers have them. The shows outside of the big 4 in the US only really pull from dealer stock. It is unusual for them to get stuff like a concept or prototype.

Unfortunately, yes.  Maybe with it moving to May (June?) I can go to the Detroit auto show in 2020.  I wouldn't drive over there in January, but I wouldn't mind the summer...going to the Detroit area at least twice this summer anyway...

3 hours ago, riviera74 said:

When it comes to pre-WWII Cadillac, I was wrong.

My larger point about what Cadillac should be versus what it currently is, I think, is still valid.  While it would be great to see Cadillac START with base-level Escalade (or better still, $100K+), I do not see GM actually doing just that.  If GM would push Cadillac to being truly aspirational, that would allow GMC and especially Buick to enter the luxury space without cannibalizing Cadillac.  Too bad that GM will not do just that.

Many Cadillac dealers that require probably more sales volume just to keep the doors open. 

^ Don't know that 'keeping the doors open' is all that pressing. Note that the Cadillac dealer count was reduced by about 33% in the last 10 years.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

WOW, your right does look a bit like the Suburban and in RS trim with V6, AWD and a very nice package, it comes in over $2,000 dollars less than the Blazer.

image.png

image.png

I am liking this way better than the Blazer.

image.png

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's sharp!  Make mine in black though.

Your wish is my command! :P

image.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Now see.. it's totally a dad car, but I could drive that.

Wish it had the TTV6 option for the RS package of Performance.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Wish it had the TTV6 option for the RS package of Performance.

And there's the rub. As nice as that one is, for the same amount of money, I would go for a V8 Jeep Cherokee instead. I don't need a 3rd row.  If I get a Durango instead of the GC some day, the rear seats will be semi-permanently lowered. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

And there's the rub. As nice as that one is, for the same amount of money, I would go for a V8 Jeep Cherokee instead. I don't need a 3rd row.  If I get a Durango instead of the GC some day, the rear seats will be semi-permanently lowered. 

Agree, I would take the GC with the V8 over a TTV6 in a Traverse. I also do not need the 3rd seat, but if I was to stick with GM, the TTV6 would make the RS a true performance CUV.

7 hours ago, dfelt said:

Agree, I would take the GC with the V8 over a TTV6 in a Traverse. I also do not need the 3rd seat, but if I was to stick with GM, the TTV6 would make the RS a true performance CUV.

Like GM would ever make such a good decision post BK.

• Haha 1