Drew Dowdell

Buick News: New Buick Crossover Inbound

Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup. 

Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues. 

Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul. 

As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.

View full article

Sales tend to drive a lot of other things.

I know that Buick insists that they are NOT a China-only brand.  Then again, Mercedes and BMW design and (mostly) build in Germany, even though the majority of their sales are outside Europe.

Haha, of course they are.  Because nothing says “expressive design” like a crossover coupe.  These things will be more common than a family sedan in about 3 years, then people won’t want them because they are too common and they’ll want a sedan to be different.

5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Haha, of course they are.  Because nothing says “expressive design” like a crossover coupe.  These things will be more common than a family sedan in about 3 years, then people won’t want them because they are too common and they’ll want a sedan to be different.

Well, then they can just lower the rear body and add a decklid,  make a crossover sedan, responding to market forces.

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, then they can just lower the rear body and add a decklid,  make a crossover sedan, responding to market forces.

High riding sedans will probably become a thing.  

Just now, smk4565 said:

High riding sedans will probably become a thing.  

Subaru and Volvo already tried that. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But they aren’t cool.  Once Mercedes and Audi do it, the band wagon will start.

• Haha 1

Just now, smk4565 said:

But they aren’t cool.  Once Mercedes and Audi do it, the band wagon will start.

and claim to have invented it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes, but those look like raised cars, like the original Eagle sedan.    The future needs crossover sedans that have tall CUV bodies w/ trunks.   Picture a X6 or GLE 'coupe' with a more squared rear and decklid. 

Edited by Robert Hall

1 minute ago, Robert Hall said:

Yes, but those look like raised cars, like the original Eagle sedan.    The future needs crossover sedans that have tall CUV bodies w/ trunks.   Picture a X6 or GLE 'coupe' with a more squared rear and decklid. 

So... an Avalanche.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So... an Avalanche.

But with an actual integrated decklid..

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

But with an actual integrated decklid..

I thought GMC tried that with the Envoy XL or some weird extra long with a rolling roof thingy.

Would be great if GM would come up with a new term to replace the gad awful crossover coupe name.

What is missing is a crossover coupe with a pickup bed behind it, like a Honda Ridgeline but with a 4-coupe front half.  Even better if they make it mid-engined, which Honda could easily do a mid-engine Ridgeline with the engine in the bed area.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I thought GMC tried that with the Envoy XL or some weird extra long with a rolling roof thingy.

That was still an SUV.  They're talking about something shaped like an Avalanche but with a sedan like trunk for the bed. 

There was the Lincoln Blackwood with a carpet lined bed. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

What is missing is a crossover coupe with a pickup bed behind it, like a Honda Ridgeline but with a 4-coupe front half.  Even better if they make it mid-engined, which Honda could easily do a mid-engine Ridgeline with the engine in the bed area.

Well, for mid-engined, they could do an NSX crossover coupe w/ a pickup bed..that would be rad... likewise, maybe Chevy can do a pickup version of the C8... 

Edited by Robert Hall

8 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

ford-f-150-steel-tonneau-cover-2004-2008-14.jpg

Meh..just a truck w/ lift up bed topper...I'm talking integrated lines, a normal car-like decklid. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

lol, well we got off topic really quick.

Yes...fun to let the mind wander on topics like this..

4 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Well, for mid-engined, they could do an NSX crossover coupe w/ a pickup bed..that would be rad... likewise, maybe Chevy can do a pickup version of the C8... 

So somthing like this?

image.png

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

What's everyone think of the Enspire that is the article pic?

2018-Buick-Enspire-All-Electric-Concept-01-610x368.jpg

I love it especially if they do deliver on AWD Electric which would sell the wife.

I wonder if this would have sold better if it was 4 doors? 🤔

SSR

See the source image

This isn't really my "thing" but I do like it a lot.  Offer a hybrid or EV to start and I could see it selling a lot.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What's everyone think of the Enspire that is the article pic?

2018-Buick-Enspire-All-Electric-Concept-01-610x368.jpg

Even though I am also not a fan of the term “crossover coupe”, I technically fits and carries over from the sedan coupe trend that Benz started (for the most part) with the CLS. Now, regarding the Buick, it actually looks pretty sharp but until I see a production model (given GMs history of neutering nice designs like this), I will reserve judgment. Definitely some Blazer/Camaro cues on the front end, with a more polished look to it. Just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Much like the crossover coupe GLA?

• Upvote 2

The concept itself is very nice.  Call me when GM fully federalizes it and puts it on a dealer lot, then we can talk.

Crossover Coupe.. The absolute WORST segment ever created. I hate these so much. I'm a pretty big Mercedes fan but I will never vouch for a GLC Coupe or GLE Coupe. 

Did somebody say Envoy XUV? 

Envoy XUV.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The crossover fever has really hit Buick as they claim "almost 90 percent of U.S." sales come from their utility lineup. So why not add another crossover to their lineup?
      Buick announced today the Encore GX which will go on sale early next year. Coming from China, the model will slot between the Encore and Envision. Not many details were provided aside from the cargo space being " almost 5 cubic feet larger than the Encore and about 3 cubic feet smaller than the Envision."
      Car and Driver reports that the GX will have a slightly more powerful turbo-four when compared to the Encore; automatic transmission, and the choice of either front or all-wheel drive.
      “As we look to the future of Buick, the Encore GX positions us strongly as a consideration for those who want to purchase small or compact SUVs,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global Buick and GMC.
      More details are expected as the we get closer to the launch.
      Source: Buick
      Press Release is on Page 2

2020 Buick Encore GX Expands Brand’s SUV Family
      All-new model will strengthen Buick’s position in the most popular vehicle segments DETROIT — When the Encore GX arrives in early 2020, Buick will offer four premium SUVs across the three segments customers are shopping in most: small, compact and midsize. The Encore GX will be positioned between the smaller Encore and the larger Envision and Enclave models. It will offer new standard safety technologies* and its style and functionality will be just right for many of today’s buyers.
      “As we look to the future of Buick, the Encore GX positions us strongly as a consideration for those who want to purchase small or compact SUVs,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global Buick and GMC.
      Today, almost 90 percent of U.S. Buick sales come from SUVs.
      The Encore GX’s new standard safety and driver assistance features* will include Front Pedestrian Braking, Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning. It will also offer the Enclave’s innovative Rear Camera Mirror, which provides a wide, less obstructed rear view while parking and driving, and High Definition Surround Vision camera system.
      Its spirited and efficient performance will be paired with a purposefully designed cargo space that’s almost 5 cubic feet larger than the Encore and about 3 cubic feet smaller than the Envision.
      Product specifications and pricing will be announced when the Encore GX begins arriving at U.S. dealers.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The crossover fever has really hit Buick as they claim "almost 90 percent of U.S." sales come from their utility lineup. So why not add another crossover to their lineup?
      Buick announced today the Encore GX which will go on sale early next year. Coming from China, the model will slot between the Encore and Envision. Not many details were provided aside from the cargo space being " almost 5 cubic feet larger than the Encore and about 3 cubic feet smaller than the Envision."
      Car and Driver reports that the GX will have a slightly more powerful turbo-four when compared to the Encore; automatic transmission, and the choice of either front or all-wheel drive.
      More details are expected as the we get closer to the launch.
      Source: Buick
      Press Release is on Page 2

2020 Buick Encore GX Expands Brand’s SUV Family
      All-new model will strengthen Buick’s position in the most popular vehicle segments DETROIT — When the Encore GX arrives in early 2020, Buick will offer four premium SUVs across the three segments customers are shopping in most: small, compact and midsize. The Encore GX will be positioned between the smaller Encore and the larger Envision and Enclave models. It will offer new standard safety technologies* and its style and functionality will be just right for many of today’s buyers.
      Today, almost 90 percent of U.S. Buick sales come from SUVs.
      The Encore GX’s new standard safety and driver assistance features* will include Front Pedestrian Braking, Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning. It will also offer the Enclave’s innovative Rear Camera Mirror, which provides a wide, less obstructed rear view while parking and driving, and High Definition Surround Vision camera system.
      Its spirited and efficient performance will be paired with a purposefully designed cargo space that’s almost 5 cubic feet larger than the Encore and about 3 cubic feet smaller than the Envision.
      Product specifications and pricing will be announced when the Encore GX begins arriving at U.S. dealers.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Buick is reportedly working on a crossover coupe to add to its lineup in the US.  This vehicle would be in addition to, rather than replace, any vehicles in the current lineup. 
      Most of Buick's recent lineup has been a rebadge of some other brand's designs, this new vehicle would be a departure from that with Buick leading the design process from the start. CarDesignNews was shown some sketches and models of future Buicks and what they saw would "turn everything you think about Buick on its ear".  It is a bold design that will shock people both inside and outside the industry.  The designs would feel familiar without using specific cues. 
      Buick also took the time to insist that Buick would not become a China-only brand even though 4 out of every 5 Buicks are sold there. The bulk of the design work takes place in Warren, Michigan, while smaller design teams work in Shanghai, Melbourne, and near Seoul. 
      As far as the name, Buick has trademarked Enspire for the U.S., so that has a strong possibility of coming to fruition. No timeline is set for the release of the new crossover, but the overhaul of the Buick look is well underway.

• By Drew Dowdell
      Arguably, one of the most important reveals at the New York Auto Show is the Hyundai Venue. The Venue is Hyundai’s smallest crossover slotting in just below the Kona.  With a price starting somewhere in the $17k - $18k range, it will also likely be the most prolific of the cars unveiled this week.   The Venue’s main competition is the Nissan Kicks, Kia Soul, Jeep Renegade, and Ford EcoSport.
      Outside, the Venue sits perky and upright, it will be the shortest length crossover on the market when it goes on sale in the fall.  In spite of its diminutive size, it manages to look more premium than it is. It’s about 5 inches shorter than the Hyundai Kona which sits just above it in Hyundai’s lineup.
      It has a deep set grill with a complex crosshatch pattern that gives an expensive look. The split light clusters add visual height to the front, making it look more truck-like.  There are a contrasting color roof and mirror covers. I like the looks of the alloy wheels too. In back, a good size hatch opens to 19 cubic feet of cargo room that expands to 32 cubic feet with the rear seats folded.  Hyundai even put some work into making the tail lamps display a unique Z pattern.
      Inside, the Venue really shines. The upright dash is covered in a soft rubberized material. The seats have a denim-like look to them and they offer a good seating position for the driver. There are options on the upper trim to have the front and rear seats heated.  Front legroom seemed a little tight, and I would need to move the seat back far enough that an adult probably couldn’t sit behind me.  Rear seat legroom is tight, and I struggled slightly to get in and out.  The rear seat is rather flat and park-bench-like. It is unlikely that if you are any taller than my 5’10” that you will be comfortable with the headroom.
      All of the controls are in easy reach. The primary HVAC controls are three large simple round dials. An 8-inch touch screen sits high on the center stack and only pops up about an inch over the dash.  My experience with Hyundai’s infotainment systems has been mixed, but the car was off when I visited, so I didn’t get the chance to try it. Either way, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay come standard, so as long as you’re happy with those, it should just work.
      Hyundai is offering the Venue in just two trims, SE and SEL, and a single engine option, a 1.6 liter 4-cylinder. This engine will produce an estimated 121 horsepower and 113 lb-ft of torque. Like the Soul and Kicks, there is no all-wheel-drive option offered.  Power is sent to the front wheels either via a CVT or a six-speed manual transmission.  Hyundai is hoping to get an EPA combined rating of 33 mpg. 
      Tiny crossovers have become the 1990's hatchback of the twenty-teens. The Venue, Kicks, Soul, Renegade, and others offer crossover versatility in a city-sized package. Unlike those old hatchbacks which could be penalty boxes, my overall impression is that the Venue isn’t a car you buy just because it is cheap, but because you actually like it. It is a handsome, perky little package that looks more premium than it really is and offers a host of standard and optional safety features that some lack in the segment. Given that the Venue is likely to take the title of the most affordable crossover and do it while looking this good puts Hyundai in a great position.
      Read our other First Impressions from the New York International Auto Show below:
      First Impressions: 2020 Lincoln Corsair
      First Impressions: 2020 Ford Escape

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook