CONCEPT: Chevrolet Camaro Convertible

Flybrian

Much better looking than that "purple-rainbow-dupont-chameleon" chop.

I'm still buying a (pillarless) hardtop... even if it's no less expensive than a ragtop.

Sure is purdy.

Interesting interior details:

- What appears to be the ignition switch has what looks like a Nuclear/Radioactive symbol. Unless that's for the fan.

- The "2" in the center of the tachometer appears to be a static LED, rather than a changing number.

- Vintage style GM seat belt buckles.

- The Radio / HVAC controls seem counterintuitive to operate.

Amazing! Love the exterior, love the interior! Also, did you guys notice the gear indicator in the DIC? Odd to see that on a manual...

But did you notice how the white trim doesn't line up at the transition from dash to door? Blah blah blah blah... :lol:

Edited by AAS

WOW! This car certainly changes my view about the convertible variant of a car not looking as good as the coupe. IMO, this looks better than the coupe (although I would still have to see it with the top up to fully say that). The interior is amazing. I like the colors much better than the colors shown on the hardtop. The only thing I am concerned about is the radio and HVAC controls. And where on earth is the disc slot!?

aaaantoine: I think that "2" is also a gear indicator

Hogans_Heroes: totally agree about the buckles.

Some more thoughts... Love the wheels, they look like a more modern interpretation of those found on the IROC's. Is it just me, or is the hood bulge more pronounced?

I've always been more of a Mustang fiend myself and have had a typically negative attitude towards Camaros (with special hatred towards the 2nd and 3rd generation models, although I do rather dislike the 4th gen as well) but that is one hell of a car. I was "meh" on the coupe but the droptop looks great. I'll have to see pics with the top up, but it looks great. I'm loving the gauges, but the HVAC and radio controls do look like they would be a pain to use, at least at first.

aaaantoine: I think that "2" is also a gear indicator

Hogans_Heroes: totally agree about the buckles.

Some more thoughts... Love the wheels, they look like a more modern interpretation of those found on the IROC's. Is it just me, or is the hood bulge more pronounced?

The wheels are more an interpretation of the "Mag" wheel covers found on early SS cars. Anyone else catch the thin,red line at the edge of the rims? A very cool touch mimicking the "Red Line" tires of the musclecar era.

This car has so many subtle details that each pic is like a treasure hunt. :thumbsup:

i was hoping we'd get a production-looking model, but screw it! that car is too damn hot.... that color is sick... i hope if they offer stripes on the hardtop, they stick to the chevy way of NOT putting the stripes over the roof, cause all the original cars offered with hood/deck stripes had none on the roof, looks better that way IMO

Exterior looks great! Interior overall is good, but I do have some complaints that I hope are addressed for the production car:

1: need to have cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel...no excuse for not having it set up that way

2: the gauges need more hashmarks on them. 25mph between hashmarks isn't accurate enough.

3: the numbering in the gauges need to illuminate. I also prefer white-on-black lettering as being easier to read.

4: headrests don't appear to be adjustable. raising/lowering and tilting should be there.

5: the radio/hvac controls need a SEVERE reworking. Too funky and counter-intuitive.

6: bigger seat bolsters might be nice, too, depending on how much give there is in the center of the seat.

Clearly this is still a concept--after all, it doesn't even look like there's a passenger-side airbag. Hopefully GM will take a little more time refining the interior details before we see a production car, but not dial back TOO much on the unique personality the concepts have shown.

this thread is going to rack up the replies! :lol:

looks great, they' didn't really change anything major, the radio/hvac is still odd, the wheels look great, love the buckles w/ GM on them.

can i say that the production version will pale, other than the SS, to this even if it's more comfortable / easy to use / have better mirrors?

this makes me very interested in how they'll make the real one so hot, but better for the "almost enthusiast".

Exterior looks great! Interior overall is good, but I do have some complaints that I hope are addressed for the production car:

1: need to have cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel...no excuse for not having it set up that way

2: the gauges need more hashmarks on them. 25mph between hashmarks isn't accurate enough.

3: the numbering in the gauges need to illuminate. I also prefer white-on-black lettering as being easier to read.

4: headrests don't appear to be adjustable. raising/lowering and tilting should be there.

5: the radio/hvac controls need a SEVERE reworking. Too funky and counter-intuitive.

6: bigger seat bolsters might be nice, too, depending on how much give there is in the center of the seat.

Clearly this is still a concept--after all, it doesn't even look like there's a passenger-side airbag. Hopefully GM will take a little more time refining the interior details before we see a production car, but not dial back TOO much on the unique personality the concepts have shown.

A bit premature on the complaints, don't you think?

1. Perhaps, but would look too busy on a showcar.

2. Obviously

3. You'll get a fight from many on this one: personal preference and all

4. You can't possibly know from pictures

5. Just a maybe, none of us has tried to use them yet

6. absolutely rediculous to try to judge this from a pic

It's still a showcar but my guess is the production version won't stray very far at all from what we see right now.

Looks like that 2 in the Tach is for Gear selection. Check out the center LCD display which also has a "2" highlighted! All in all I have to say I'm impressed with the touches to this interior. The Heritage-like buckles are a nice touch of nostalgia. And did I read those specs correctly? 21's on the front and 22's on the rear?!?!?!?!? Holy crap! I know it's still in concept mode so those probably won't make it to production, but still..... VERY NICE! :idhitit::pbjtime:

The interior still looks way too snazzy for production, and a lot of the details are stupid (the gear numbers engraved into the console, the competely illegible speedo, etc), but I think the production version will look pretty sweet.

this car is a dream in perfect two tone with great chrome and titanium accents. I don't like the exterior two-tone, but it's just not for me, I can see the appeal and am sure many will love it, but it takes the car too far retro, whereas in the silver it's retro futurist. the interior is dynamic, everywhere. I love the HVAC and radio controls--it may sacrifice a little feasibility, but when you have something that looks that right, you must sacrifice something, and it will be second nature within time of owning the car. I love the leather stiching, the way the two tone stretches into the door panel and does a cool swivel thing along the armrest. All the controls look stunning and simple. Clearly nothing has been lost. I love the idea of this car an expensive feeling and looking balls out performance coupe with incredible style to pull people out of their BMW 3-series. It will work. It just can't come quick enough, anybody got the scoop on this car coming out earlier than we suspect?

EDIT: I hope none of this is too snazzy for production [interior-wise]. I know that if this car comes at the realistic price levels and comes out looking like this, it will effectively put cars like the Vette [and that's the cream of the crop for GM, so you know what I'm saying] out of commission. So maybe toning down is what we are looking at.

I don't know if the spacing between the gears on the shifter is all that realistic or comfortable. Is it possible to be a short shifter and have those wide spaces? A good feeling shifter should be a necessity on this car for the engineers.

Edited by turbo200

this car is a dream in perfect two tone with great chrome and titanium accents. I don't like the exterior two-tone, but it's just not for me, I can see the appeal and am sure many will love it, but it takes the car too far retro, whereas in the silver it's retro futurist. the interior is dynamic, everywhere. I love the HVAC and radio controls--it may sacrifice a little feasibility, but when you have something that looks that right, you must sacrifice something, and it will be second nature within time of owning the car. I love the leather stiching, the way the two tone stretches into the door panel and does a cool swivel thing along the armrest. All the controls look stunning and simple. Clearly nothing has been lost. I love the idea of this car an expensive feeling and looking balls out performance coupe with incredible style to pull people out of their BMW 3-series. It will work. It just can't come quick enough, anybody got the scoop on this car coming out earlier than we suspect?

EDIT: I hope none of this is too snazzy for production [interior-wise]. I know that if this car comes at the realistic price levels and comes out looking like this, it will effectively put cars like the Vette [and that's the cream of the crop for GM, so you know what I'm saying] out of commission. So maybe toning down is what we are looking at.

I don't know if the spacing between the gears on the shifter is all that realistic or comfortable. Is it possible to be a short shifter and have those wide spaces? A good feeling shifter should be a necessity on this car for the engineers.

There's been lots of noise about the car happening sooner than announced, but no confirmation.

That's a damn pretty car. i like these gauges better than the coupe's...they look easier to read. The HVAC and stereo controls are cool but I don't see a display for the radio...That means this will no doubt be different in the production version...I wonder if it'll just get the crappy corporate stereo <_<

Since the convertible looks so similar to the coupe it may be safe to say the production version (exterior) will look very close to the concepts...sweet!

Sure is purdy.

- Vintage style GM seat belt buckles.

This is my favorite characteristic... hands down! That's not a knock on the Camaro Concept either. I'm not in the Camaro's target audience, but I do miss GM-Exclusive seat belt buckles. They provided a sense of pride and family identity while still appearing as interior jewelry in an area that's usually neglected. From Chevrolet to Cadillac, owners weren't ashamed to touch, hold, pull, and wear the corporate logo on their seat belts. Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti owners would be ashamed. That's something GM and its owners can be proud of.

I wonder if they will do a "color adjustable" instrument cluster like Ford did with

the new '05 Mustang... that is one feature they SHOULD copy. I love the warm

amber/yellow of the original's gauges but then again this cool blue/aua is very

snazzy.... esp. in the modern cell phone era.

And yes, the belt buckles ARE awsome!

Sure is purdy.

- What appears to be the ignition switch has what looks like a Nuclear/Radioactive symbol. Unless that's for the fan.

Doc Brown helped with the interior design. Don't believe me, ask Marty McFly ^_^

Beautiful car!

There's been lots of noise about the car happening sooner than announced, but no confirmation.

According to an article on TCC from Rick Wagoner

The all-new Camaro will begin with early production versions at the end of 2008 and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009.

With an article saying the Vert to hit showrooms in late 2009, that's still pretty soon if you ask me given that the original concept debuted at NAIAS last year.

Edited by Houze968

Absolutely Stunning. I am in LUST!

The radio and HVAC controls will not make it. I have been told this while sitting in the coupe by someone we can all trust to know what is going on. I just hope they can find a way to retain the console gauges, and get something remotely close to what we see here as the layout for the dash. I cannot say I am too excited to see the 'black tie' arrangement that we see in the Tahoe, Malibu, Impala, et al in this car. Please GM - find a way to make this car special without using the parts bin radio and HVAC controls. Maybe voice activated controls with the current arrangement of switches installed?

And the Console - please do not chop it up too badly for the cup holders that I know will make it into production...I almost hate to see it happen, but it would suck without them.

Love the retro seatbelts...too cool...and the red-line wheels...and the subtle changes here and there over the original concept...so beautiful!

Damn that thing looks great. And I dont even like converts all that much.

how bad will GM screw the production version sell as is gas cap just like the vettes this thang is awsome

Is that even even English? what are you trying to say. It sounds like about 12 sentences. Maybe condense it into two or three instead of the one and let everyoine else in on what you are trying to get across. damn.

and I love those belts...Even though theyll burn you like a sumbitch on a hot summers day...Just like an all leather interior anyway. I remember tring to singe my bro with those things. The Mark of Excellence. NICE. Glad to see them back.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Now that's the ultimate lazy person car right there!

WOW! This car certainly changes my view about the convertible variant of a car not looking as good as the coupe. IMO, this looks better than the coupe (although I would still have to see it with the top up to fully say that). The interior is amazing. I like the colors much better than the colors shown on the hardtop. The only thing I am concerned about is the radio and HVAC controls. And where on earth is the disc slot!?

For the CD disc Slot im guessing its a 3 disc *as indicated by the 1 2 and 3 * and its in the glove box maybe? or it might pop down from below or something crazy like that

The wheels are more an interpretation of the "Mag" wheel covers found on early SS cars. Anyone else catch the thin,red line at the edge of the rims? A very cool touch mimicking the "Red Line" tires of the musclecar era.

This car has so many subtle details that each pic is like a treasure hunt. :thumbsup:

Sorry camino going to have to disagree on the red color choice.... though it could just be the quality of my video card picking it up it does appear more orange to me and red only on certain parts due to the shading.... so we will have to wait on that one....

For the CD disc Slot im guessing its a 3 disc *as indicated by the 1 2 and 3 * and its in the glove box maybe? or it might pop down from below or something crazy like that

Nevermind i take that back (maybe).... if you see the eject button in the middle of the console it appears to be a latch.... if that flips up and you notice the line with the indentation a cd could fit in there easily.... sideways?!?!? that would be a first

Sorry camino going to have to disagree on the red color choice.... though it could just be the quality of my video card picking it up it does appear more orange to me and red only on certain parts due to the shading.... so we will have to wait on that one....

Could be orange, but it doesn't really matter. The inspiration for it is obvious.