LosAngeles

Cars you may never see again

83 posts in this topic

There were cars I used to see tons of when I was a kid, many of which have basically disappeared. Plenty of cars have been noted in my Car Spotting posts that I had missed for a good while, but there are sadly some that are pretty much gone forever. I mean, I can't remember the last time I've seen a: -Dodge Polara -77 Chrysler New Yorker like my grandpa had -B- or C-body Chrysler wagon -Fury or Coronet like the cops used to drive. -early 70s Charger or Satellite (it's like Chryslers just die off or something) -Oldsmobile Firenza (H or J-body) -pre-80 Buick Estate Wagon -first-gen Celica fastback -Audi Fox -first-gen Audi 4000 -Audi GT Coupe -some of those weirder-greenhoused 70s B and C-body BOP coupes -Buick Special -U-boat Ford that wasn't a Thunderbird. -Olds Omega One of these may be named off in Car Spotting 2-mar-roe!! But it's been a long time....

There was a Europa locally when I was growing up. I just saw one at the Limerock show. There was a few others some I had forgotten about but I seem to have forgotten again.

There was a Europa locally when I was growing up. I just saw one at the Limerock show. There was a few others some I had forgotten about but I seem to have forgotten again.

[post="12108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't even get me started on cars I've never seen in person a day in my life.

"some of those weirder-greenhoused 70s B and C-body BOP coupes" got that covered, litterly down in the garage. assuming you mean with the semi fastback w/ large side windows in the ???? C pillor ?? three side windows in other words ?

"some of those weirder-greenhoused 70s B and C-body BOP coupes"

got that covered, litterly down in the garage. assuming you mean with the semi fastback w/ large side windows in the ???? C pillor ?? three side windows in other words ?

[post="12112"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, those, plus those really heavy looking C-body 2-doors that had the rear quarter window encased in the vinyl top, kinda like the Coupe de ville's window, only extended further back

1980-1982 Thunderbirds and Cougars, aka "box 'birds" Mercury M-100 Oldsmobile Touring Sedan Early 80s Buick Electra Early 80s Crown Vic and Grand Marquis in coupe form Ford Fairmont/LTD/Mercury Zephyr/Monarch Pontiac Phoenix Dodge Mirada Pontiac 6000 Edited by mustang84

Toronados Fullsize Grand Marquis/Crown Vic coupes Better yet...Mercury Marquis/Ford LTDs, sedans and wagons Mitsu Expo Lexus ES250 or whatever...the real Camry-lookin' one.

I swear I haven't seen a honda, toyota or datsun made earlier than the early '80s in forever. Did see a '72 Polara this past weekend. What I always wonder about is hugely popular cars like the Pinto; haven't seen one of those in years & years either. (>Insert quip about exploding here<) I used to kinda maintain a 'cut-off' year in my head: the year back-to that you'd still see infrequently running around. I remember when it inched up thru the later '60s, then it seemed to leapfrog over most of the '70s up to '77. Now it's seems to be at about '87 or thereabouts. The only exception is '70s Darts; I still them every once in a while.

More: -the old notchback Vega sedan -Plymouth Arrow Jet -most of those 70s Dodge Colts (it's funny how some were compacts and others were intermediates, but they were all Dodge Colts) -Pontiac T1000 (as it is, I don't see many Chevettes, but the Pontiac version seems long gone) -Maserati Biturbo -the last-gen 510 and first-gen Stanza -Datsun 610 (a hatch whose profile was kinda the prototype of most of today's 3-doors)

Balthazar, yes the Pinto!...I had forgot about that car because I never see it anymore and the Ford Maverick too...nowhere to be seen. And remember Mercury had a version of the Pinto, called the Bobcat. Well, you never see that one.

Ford Maverick, actually not a bad looking car:

Posted Image Edited by HarleyEarl

That one Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon or whatever it was called where it was like a hatchback. Anyone remember it? I think it was from the early 80s.

That one Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon or whatever it was called where it was like a hatchback.  Anyone remember it?  I think it was from the early 80s.

[post="12278"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Prety hard to find, but I see those (and their Century twins) every now and again....

I see at least two of those fastback late-70's Olds Cutlass sedans fairly often. One light blue, the other tan. Too bad they weren't more popular... I really like the Buick Century Turbo Coupe on that bodystyle, and the Olds 4-4-2 isn't bad looking either, but it has less motor than the Buick of that time. A '78 Olds 4-4-2 with a 455 Rocket... now you're talkin'!

Most AMCs are done for....Javelin, Hornet, Amabassador, Matador, Sprint, Spirit, you name it, it's outta here.

Posted Image

[post="12256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Traffic, traffic, lookin' for some chapstick, feelin' kinda carsick, there's a Ford Maverick.

[post="12108"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

When I was a kid in the late '70s, I had a neighbor that had a Europa...dark blue... then he moved and I never saw it again.... I've never seen one since, even at car shows...

I saw an "aeroback" Cutlass Salon 4 door yesterday. It was 2 tone silver and gray with rally wheels and a red interior. It was in suprisingly excellent shape. Still see quite a few of those, along with the Centuries running around here, which suprises me considering they were only made in 78-79, and weren't a very popular bodystyle even when new.

I haven't seen one of those in years... same with cars like the '77-79 Phoenix, '80s X-body Phoenix... there are many '70s cars I can think of that I haven't seen in person in many years.... like the '79-80 Chrysler Newport and nearly identical '80-81 Plymouth Grand Fury, the Dodge St. Regis (90% of them were probably demolished in '80s tv shows like 'TJ Hooker' and 'Hunter'.. :)

I saw '74-76 Mercury Montego 2dr in traffic yesterday in very good shape..I thought it was a Cougar until I saw the grille.

I saw a clean Buick Reatta the other day..first time I've seen one in years.. Edited by moltar

the '77-79 Phoenix, '80s X-body Phoenix...

[post="12332"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LOL, all Phoenixes are X-bodies....the front-drive version just sucks so badly, one forgets how good the rear-drive version really was.

LOL, all Phoenixes are X-bodies....the front-drive version just sucks so badly, one forgets how good the rear-drive version really was.

[post="12335"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah...I forgot the RWD ones were X-bodies also...I meant the '80s FWD shitboxes...

...T1000...

\
I haven't seen any T1000s in years, but for some reason I have seen nearly a half-dozen Chevettes this past year...

It must be the various areas we live in. I see Buick Reattas often. And I also see AMC cars now and then. They are still around. I never see Hupmobiles ever. One car that one saw alot of on the street when they were producing them is the Ford Contour...I almost never see this car anymore. What happens to these cars, do they die early and end up in junk yards? Edited by HarleyEarl

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead