Sign in to follow this  
Drew Dowdell

*Gasp* Another Camry glitch

144 posts in this topic

Drew Dowdell    4,991

Camry glitch

In four-cylinder Camrys, the software allegedly learns the driver's style, and those drivers with a frugal right foot get less response over time. Sudden demands for power – like a quick shift into the passing lane – can confuse the system and leave drivers with less power than they need.

aaaantoine    4

That's not right.

Regardless of your driving style, if you need to accelerate to get out of the way of traffic, that power needs to be there.

Sadly, that's one of the only arguments we can politically give in favor of building fast cars.

Drew Dowdell    4,991

That's not right.

Regardless of your driving style, if you need to accelerate to get out of the way of traffic, that power needs to be there.

Sadly, that's one of the only arguments we can politically give in favor of building fast cars.

205813[/snapback]

More appropriately, the power needs to be there that you expect to be there. If I was driving my CTS around very conservatively, then needed to gun it to merge and the engine responded with all the oompf of an '83 Benz diesel with a busted turbo, I'd be in trouble.

If I was driving an '83 Benz diesel with a busted turbo, at least I could plan ahead..... because I'd have time to.

aaaantoine    4

More appropriately, the power needs to be there that you expect to be there. If I was driving my CTS around very conservatively, then needed to gun it to merge and the engine responded with all the oompf of an '83 Benz diesel with a busted turbo, I'd be in trouble.

If I was driving an '83 Benz diesel with a busted turbo, at least I could plan ahead..... because I'd have time to.

205817[/snapback]

Yeah, that does sum it up better.

caddycruiser    50

One thing I always thought was odd was how Toyota/Lexus has had SO, SO many issues with hesitation, lag, etc. when it comes to the transmissions in most of their FWD vehicles. Read about it in the late 90's, and still read about it in brand new vehicles today.

Matter of fact, and almost kind of funny, was on a '05+ Avalon board where potential buyers would test drive multiples of the same car to "find one without or with the least noticeable lag" :rolleyes:

regfootball    234

this is that whole electronic throttle thing again.

I just had the ECU flashed on my 500 last week to cure the hesitation and slow downshifting and it seems to have helped a lot. the car is pretty quick now in a lot of cases. i assume its a similar thing here.

My buddy who used to used a Jetta with an ET said the same thing.

We concurred that the mfrs are dumbing down the throttles on these things so you have to press down ALL THE WAY to get the brains to realize you want gas. Its not a linear application of the throttle pedal anymore. Its compounded by poor tranny programming.

I bet the car lawyers are making them do that to keep folks from overdriving the cars. I like the aggressive GM throttle linkages to a degree. Why can't it just be nice and linear all the way through the pedal with predictable and immediate shifting?

on star should download ECU updates as they occur and automatically update engine programming on cars. they should figger out how to make that possible.

Edited by regfootball

pow    106

this is that whole electronic throttle thing again.

I just had the ECU flashed on my 500 last week to cure the hesitation and slow downshifting and it seems to have helped a lot.  the car is pretty quick now in a lot of cases.  i assume its a similar thing here.

My buddy who used to used a Jetta with an ET said the same thing.

We concurred that the mfrs are dumbing down the throttles on these things so you have to press down ALL THE WAY to get the brains to realize you want gas.  Its not a linear application of the throttle pedal anymore.  Its compounded by poor tranny programming.

I bet the car lawyers are making them do that to keep folks from overdriving the cars.  I like the aggressive GM throttle linkages to a degree.  Why can't it just be nice and linear all the way through the pedal with predictable and immediate shifting?

on star should download ECU updates as they occur and automatically update engine programming on cars.  they should figger out how to make that possible.

205840[/snapback]

Agreed. Our Passat's electronic throttle sucks. Yesterday I suddenly needed more acceleration and then didn't; I floored it and relased... nothing happened, no downshift, not even any change in throttle.

Flybrian    0

Automakers need to learn that sometimes 'innovations' just aren't. I don't think a Camry needs electronic throttle control because if Mercedes can't do it perfectly for a $60-90k car, then why should I have any confidence that Toyota can even get by with it in a $20k car.

csaba1218    0

Automakers need to learn that sometimes 'innovations' just aren't. I don't think a Camry needs electronic throttle control because if Mercedes can't do it perfectly for a $60-90k car, then why should I have any confidence that Toyota can even get by with it in a $20k car.

205848[/snapback]

Exactly the electronic throttle control is a pain in the ass you just cant modulate the throttle like you should be able to, and what the hell is the point why would you ever need to take something that is simple like a cable and replace it with an over complicated system that will probably bite you in the ass and wallet sooner rather than later.

csaba1218    0

Gotta love my Millenia. It may not pack alot of power, but its always there when I need it. Damn Toyotas, Hondas and VWs. :P

205874[/snapback]

Umm your precious mazdas just like a lot of new cars have ETC.at least i know the mazda 3 does .

aaaantoine    4

This kinda reminds me of a quirk in my Cobalt's throttle.

If you apply light throttle, it won't downshift at all (from 4th, I think). If you apply just a little more throttile, it downshifts to 1st gear, and the car jumps forward from this newfound power. So I pretty much have to go mid-throttle off the line or otherwise I barely accelerate at all.

It's not a natural response, but at least it's somewhat predictable.

siegen    20

Nah, it's probably dropping to 2nd.

Honestly all I can ever really see and hear is the RPM, compared to my speed, and make a semi-educated guess.

205901[/snapback]

I hate automatic transmissions. I remember the one in my last Buick... the last auto I've ever owned (or every will if I have anything to say about it). I also hate not having a tach! That's almost as bad as not having a speedo.

Drew Dowdell    4,991

I hate automatic transmissions. I remember the one in my last Buick... the last auto I've ever owned (or every will if I have anything to say about it). I also hate not having a tach! That's almost as bad as not having a speedo.

205903[/snapback]

Do you know how fast you were going son?

No, but my tach was reading 6,100 rpm.

I'll give you warning this time, but next time I catch you doing 25 in a 15, I'm going to ticket you

Intrepidation    846

Toyota: Lurching Forward

205830[/snapback]

:lol:

I'm glad my Shadow's throttle isn't electronic (at least to my knowledge), and I'm glad the Prizm is a manual (even if it's only 1st, 2nd, and 5th)...and that I learned how to drive manual.

pow    106

205848[/snapback]

BMW did it perfectly with their '01 530i.

Newbiewar    1

205848[/snapback]

all chevys except aveo come with electric throttle for better throttle response... according to our product trainers...

Paolino    99

The LaCrosse has electronic throttle control with the 3800. Haven't heard any complaints. Then again, not sure exactly what it feels like vs. not having electronic throttle control.

Is that why some cars you get a specific response no matter what amount of pressure you put on the gas? Like, my Buick Century, I feel it has like 4 positions... light gas, average gas, moderate gas, heavy gas. I feel there's no difference if I hit the gas pedal 2/3 way down, vs. floored.

AAS    13

all chevys except aveo come with electric throttle for better throttle response... according to our product trainers...

205972[/snapback]

There's a difference between just having electric throttle and having electric throttle with "learning," where the car will learn your driving style and modulate your throttle input based on pedal position, maybe pedal velocity/acceleration. Allthough, I'de assume that a method that took into account pedal velocity/acceleration would be able to differentiate between normal driving conditions and those instances that demand instant throttle/transmission response.

Haha dumb toyotas!

How stupid can you be to create something like that...What if someone has to accelerate quickly to avoid an accident and the car doesn't do what it's supposed to...then they die...

CAMRYS ARE DEATH TRAPS!

loki    289

throttle in my 99 monte 3.1L isn't electronic, but it'll stay in 4th down to ~33mph under at least 1/4 pedal but won't shift down to 4th till 40mph... i think that's kinda wierd

yeah, "learning" is fine ... for people that don't know how to modulate the throttle well, or have lost that ability but can still drive.