New Kia model that just sort of appeared...

caddycruiser

I usually am pretty good about staying up to date with new model intros and such, but this one isn't even on the manufacturer's website...yet, it has already appeared on a dealer's lot. What is it? The new Kia Rondo crossover.

Last I even heard anything about this, they were discussing some unmasked spy shots, and now here it is for sale (and still not on the Kia site):

http://www.dullesauto.com/Kia/273026_1.html

Posted Image

Looks pretty good, if a bit dorky, for whatever market it is covering. And still, weird that it sorta popped out of nowhere...

Edited by caddycruiser

what does "soft marketed" mean?

217575[/snapback]

Its rolled out with little to no fanfare or announcement. I don't know if its intentional like the XRS - the Corolla that was so cool no one knew about or bought it - or if it just happened that way like the Suzuki Reno.

It's a blob...with a really low beltline. And big eyes.

Not my cup of tea.

Edit: I just saw the interior. Reminds me of a cartoon-ish Caliber.

Edited by DetroitNut90

To be honest, I don't mind it. I don't find its styling to be retina scarring. I'm more worried about it holding up (literally and in value) after you drive it off the lot.

Would be a Mazda 5 competitor, or a Vibe/Matrix/HHR competitor?

Edited by Farkas

To be honest, I don't mind it.  I don't find its styling to be retina scarring.  I'm more worried about it holding up (literally and in value) after you drive it off the lot.

Would be a Mazda 5 competitor, or a Vibe/Matrix/HHR competitor?

217708[/snapback]

Mazda5. SedonaLite, is exactly right.

They won't have much stock till next year, so they aren't actively promoting it. They sold 3 last month, and I wouldn't expect them to sell very many for some time.

LOL! It does look like a fat Matrix!

Kia has a way of just having models appear out of thin air. I was caught of guard by this too.

The Saturday issue of the Toronto Star Wheels section has a roadtest.

Heres a link to the online version: RONDO TEST

217849[/snapback]

Oh great... the test gets done in my city, woohoo...

That side profile in the review makes it look atrocious... no... style... whatsoever.

Not to Jeep and Kia. Just because it's an FWD, economical runabout does NOT mean you get a pass on styling... Not these days...

Still weird that it isn't even mentioned on Kia's site yet. For a lot of shoppers, I would presume they'd step on the lot and wonder what the heck the thing was...

Doesn't look bad, IMHO, just your typical somewhat gawky or weird proportioned mini crossover, which do both well and poorly. Just all depends.

Hmm.

I didn't think this was actually coming yet.

Last I knew, it was still rumoured.

And, yuck.

No thanks.

I'll take a Caliber or something else.

• 2 weeks later...