Sign in to follow this  
regfootball

honda CIVIC type R

39 posts in this topic

km77.com - pictures links at the bottom of the page

Posted Image

talk about mental masturbation......

its like someone pumping thier cheetos and red bull on their subwoofer equipped game rocker took a screen cap of their racing game from their XBox

I don't mind the exterior so much though.

Posted Image

Edited by regfootball

Let's get out that scorecard...

Digital speedos. Done by GM, 1980s. After a few years, uncool. Dropped. Done by Honda, 2005. Cheers all around.

Center mounted Gauges. Done by Saturn, 2002(?), Ion. Panned by auto mags as "annoying". Will be dropped with Ion. Done by Toyota, 2004. Cheers for "intuitive and innovative".

Bias? Maybe. Better timing and execution? Maybe. Who knows why GM innovation gets kicked in their face?

Most, if not all, of the reviews I have read about Toyota cars with center-mounted gauges have referred to them as annoying, cheap, etc.

That interior design...wow. Leaves me speechless and not in a good way.

My eyes hurt from that interior--too much going on!

Are those headlamp washers? I honestly didn't expect to see them in a car like this.

So wait... digital speedometers are cool again?

Actually, the digital speedo isn't bad of an idea, just that Honda got the execution wrong and made it look like a spaceship. On the Corvette displayed on HUD is marvellous.

Let's get out that scorecard...

Digital speedos. Done by GM, 1980s. After a few years, uncool. Dropped. Done by Honda, 2005. Cheers all around.

Center mounted Gauges. Done by Saturn, 2002(?), Ion. Panned by auto mags as "annoying". Will be dropped with Ion. Done by Toyota, 2004. Cheers for "intuitive and innovative".

Bias? Maybe. Better timing and execution? Maybe. Who knows why GM innovation gets kicked in their face?

I thought the GM digital clusters were discontinued because they were unreliable. I still like the digital clusters on the '90 Cutlass Supremes though.

My eyes hurt from that interior--too much going on!

:withstupid: Uh... I don't know what else to say.

That interior looks like it belongs in an early 90s Pontiac concept car. And no, that's not a compliment.

It looks video-gamey, but lets face the fact that many of the target buyers would be, guess what?... VIDEO GAMERS!

This seems more for g@m3Rz thouhg...

It's certainly different and looks better than our Civic's interior. I sort of like it... :ph34r:

As for digital speedometers... Honda has used them in the S2000 and Insight as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

but that doesn't excuse the car rags from blasting on the domestic's digital dashes while giving a pass to Honda and Nissan <which did them before too>.

This interior is flash-in-the-pan. It will be over within a week. Who would want to look at something like this over the life of a car loan? Junk.

digital speedo FTL. I can follow the sweep of the speedo in my peripheral vision and do just fine, though I usually have a pretty good feel by just by gear & sound/feel. I'd have to look down at that, boo. Whats even worse is the 2 tiered dash, ugh

What center mount gauges are you talking about? I see the clock with 2 number below, but I didnt' think those were gauges.

Otherwise, I like the interior. Kind looks like a cockpit, which works for a sporty little car like that.

The center mounted gauges I'm talking about are not on the Civic, but on the Ion and Yaris.

ah, just a general scorecard. I thought it was all specific to this crap-vic. my bad

i'm surprised noone has commented on thet grotesque steering wheel and the ridiculous HVAC controls. just WHY does honda ALWAYS get a free pass? is their kool-aide better than everyone elses?

the look of the HVAC controls dont' bother me. Though the position looks a little to close (ie. behind) the steering wheel.

Speaking of which, taking a second look, it kind reminds me of a uterus and va-jay-jay. and is that really such a bad thing? :lol:

Exterior is sharp and modern looking and it's a lot better than the egg on wheels we got for our last gen Civic Type-R. As for the interior, its one of the main reasons I like this generation of Civic so much. It's so DIFFERENT than any other Honda or other car out there right now. Years from now this 8th gen Civic will stand out from the rest of its brethern for having a polarizing interior, similar to the 4th gen Prelude's reputation. The Black/Red combo has always been used in Type-Rs, but I do think the red should be used more sparingly as in keep the seat bottoms and floorboard black. The red stiching should stay.

The main complaint I have is what others have mentioned, the steering wheel. It's so big and bulky looking and doesn't match up with either the car's exterior or interior in anyway. It's definitely ugly, but that's the main styling complaint I have. Actually I lied, I still hate that weird midlevel window spoiler thing in the rear. Just prop that up top and the car will look a lot better.

As for everyone complaining how Honda is getting a "free pass" on the digital gauges, please realize that not everyone is loving the digitalness of the Civic either. It's either a like it or hate it thing, and I've read several reviews/blogs sharing both opinions.

One thing I hope stops is people saying "GM got blasted for using digital gauges, and Honda isn't!" When did this turn into a "media are biased" discussion? If I remember right, GM got slammed for their gauges 15-20 years ago because they were inaccurate and plus they were put in lackluster cars anyways. Maybe the media hated the whole car and decided to add one more thing to their "con" list. I'd say the main reason the media isn't reeling from a digital speedo nowadays is because of the world we live in where electronic devices are everywhere. "Digital/electronic" has become more integrated with our everyday life and maybe it doesn't stand out as much as it used to, I mean we are even starting to build electronic parking garages now where there are no ramps and a computers moves your car into a slot.

Would I actually BUY one of this CTRs? I'm not sure, never driven/sat in one so I can't say I would. I'd probably end up with something more practical and less racey looking like a G8! But the Civic is interesting to me and props to Honda for taking a risk with styling. This time it paid off. Also, its perfect for that import tuner 16-18 year old market that its aimed for. I may be the only one who says anything pro about this car today but I don't mind, I like the car for what it is. Plus I think the interior is giving me a Knight Rider vibe for some reason...why is there no david hasselhoff smiley? hah. 8)

Edited by big blue

I like the Interior, for what it is. You guys complain that there is too much going on, but you haven't sat in it, and couldn't possibly have a clue if it is well laid out and ergonomic or not. The red S2000 interior had way more red than this, I think this interior has a good balance of red and black, for a Type R. Obviously this interior wouldn't fly in the base model.

Also, this is a European car only, they have different tastes than us.

i'm surprised noone has commented on thet grotesque steering wheel and the ridiculous HVAC controls. just WHY does honda ALWAYS get a free pass? is their kool-aide better than everyone elses?

i guess