Cadillac to Debut GM's Powerful New V6 Clean Diesel

Diesel Acceptance  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a small ($1-2000) premium for this Diesel option in your new GM vehicle?

• Yes, without a doubt. When can I buy it?
    • Yes, but a less than $1000 premium.
    • No, it would have to be the same cost as a gasoline engine
    • No, not at all. Uninterested totally.
    • Undecided

* GM's first production application of innovative, closed-loop combustion technology

* Cadillac CTS adds engine to its portfolio in 2009

* Low emissions, high performance and excellent fuel economy

* 184 kW/250 PS, 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) torque, 2.9 liter displacement

* Compact design enables transverse and longitudinal installation

Geneva — General Motors Corp. unveiled a new 2.9 liter V6 turbo-diesel engine that features state-of-the-art injection and combustion technology for minimum emissions and maximum performance.

The new engine (184 kW/250 PS) will be mainly sold in Europe and makes its debut at the Geneva Motor Show (March 8–18). Its first production application is scheduled for 2009 in the new Cadillac CTS. Full release and photo from AutoReport…

Same bore as the current VM diesel built by GM Daewoo, same stroke as the Fiat-GM diesel built in Germany, more powerful than current 3.0 L V6 diesels from Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi or BMW, but not BMW's Twin Turbo.

Edited by Flybrian

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's pretty impressive. 250HP and 406lb-ft would be pretty quick. I really hope they don't keep this mainly in Europe, though. I think they should stick this in the T355s (trucks and H3), perhaps the Lambdas, and maybe even some Zetas. Diesel engines would definitely be an easy way to raise CAFE without spending a whole lot of money if they already have them developed. I think if marketed correctly, they would sell. I don't think I'd buy a diesel CTS or any non-compact car, but if this was put in the H3 I would definitely select it over the I5, and probably in the Lambdas too.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. 250HP and 406lb-ft would be pretty quick. I really hope they don't keep this mainly in Europe, though. I think they should stick this in the T355s (trucks and H3), perhaps the Lambdas, and maybe even some Zetas. Diesel engines would definitely be an easy way to raise CAFE without spending a whole lot of money if they already have them developed. I think if marketed correctly, they would sell. I don't think I'd buy a diesel CTS or any non-compact car, but if this was put in the H3 I would definitely select it over the I5, and probably in the Lambdas too.

The 355's will get an upgraded 3.0 L 4-cylinder—a truck engine with maybe 170 hp (currently 160) and 400 lb-ft at a lower speed (c1500 rpm).

It means there will be some sales outside Europe, but nowhere near as many. This engine should make up 50% or more of CTS sales in Europe, and probably a a similar proportion of V6 model Saabs and Opels, but outside Europe it will only be a niche offering. It would do well in the new-generation TEs, Epsilon IIs, Zetas and smaller rwd cars.

I'd love to see it available in the Camaro with a 6spd manual.

show me the numbers time wise what that would produce and i might be interested in it as a second car

I would like them to bring it here only if the price of diesel(gas too!) goes down. The price of diesel is still higher than gasoline prices right now and probably will only go higher along with gas prices. Right now gas in Michigan from what I've seen on average is $2.41 to $2.56 and diesel is anywhere from $2.69 to $2.80. I can only imagine what it is on the West coast. Nice engine but the damn EPA still has a stranglehold on diesels in America, causing most everyone the option not to buy one. I know too the cost of development does not help either, and the technology that goes in them to make them very clean.

e-mail sent

edit: Would you believe I've received a personal response from Bob already? I've asked his permission to post his response here.

Are you serious? That's awsome. I hope he gets back to you and says yes. IF you're pulling my leg that's just mean though.

Here is my original e-mail to Bob.

Mr. Lutz,

I recently heard about a planned 2.9 liter diesel engine for the European CTS. I am e-mailing you today to insist that you bring this engine to the U.S. as well. I currently own a 2004 CTS and have nothing but praise for the car. I am very likely going to purchase the next CTS when it is released. I have been longing for a diesel option in GM’s car line for a long time. I had considered an E350cdi at one point but was turned off by Mercedes current reliability meltdown.

I realize that I am just one of the “fanatics”, but a Diesel CTS would be a completely unique offering in the U.S. especially compared to offerings from BMW and Audi. If you announce availability of the diesel CTS, I will call Baierl Cadillac right now and put my deposit in.

An unofficial poll is taking place on Cheers & Gears about the availability of a diesel CTS in the U.S. I hope you will take a look.

Thank you for your time,

Signed... ME

Okay, not to rain on the parade, but I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves. I'm impressed with this engine as much as anybody and I think it signifies good things for Cadillac's efforts in Europe. However, most Americans still associate diesel with dirty. There is still a lot of attitude changing to do before this thing will be mainstream in the States.

So with that in mind, my question is, should GM use this in vehicles Americans will readily accept in diesel form (H3, Colorado, etc.) or try to change attitudes by putting it in other vehciles that Americans do not readily accept in diesel form (Malibu, LaCrosse, etc.)

Also, random thought, how efficient would one of these be if mated to the upcoming dual-stage??

He gave me permission:

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:46 AM

To: Drew Dowdell

Subject: Re: CTS Diesel

We can do it, but US Bin 5 Tier 2 emissions are out of reach without another $3k worth of hardware, which would raise the diesel premium to about $5k. We don't think many Americans would go there. Europe only has to meet Euro 4 and later Euro5 emissions. Much, much easier and cheaper. Also, if you live in California, there is no way at all, ever.

From: "Drew Dowdell" [[email protected]]Sent: 03/06/2007 01:13 PM EST

To: Bob Lutz

Cc: Thomas G. - G.V.P. Stephens

Subject: RE: CTS Diesel

At those prices and the potential performance of the proposed engine, this would sound like an expensive, but doable alternative to a hybrid strategy.

Would you mind if I posted your initial response to the message board?

Awsome to hear back from him... Now that his email is posted here let's all keep our head on our shoulders and NOT email him a bunch of time on silly stuff or redundant emails on the same issue. Basically, let's make sure we let Oldsmoboi be the only person to email Bob directly.

My concern is that GM is being not anticipating enough the need for fuel saving premium cars. Just because I have the money to buy a CTS doesn't mean I want to have to spend a lot on fuel for it. Also, the environmentalist in me wishes to use a little fuel as possible.

I would love one...in about every platform out there in the GM arsonal...as long as it stretches a gallon as well as or better than a TDI V.W....who would not want one? I would say it would be a poor motor for a Camaro or the Solstice/Sky - fun? You bet! Target audience hitter? Nope. That would be akin to putting an Iron Duke 4 banger in a Budget Corvette just not what that platform is all about.

I can see it working in the CTS, Malibu, Aura, The Small SUV's (Equinox, Vue/Astra) and would be a killer in the HHR!

Bring it here GM...we will buy it!

No interest in a CTS but in a Colorado, Canyon, H3 or even in a small SUV like the Equinox, or in a hybrid like Prius, made by Chevrolet would be nice. I can't get over 400lbft. of torque from a V6. What is the word on fuel economy and transmission pairing.

Edited by gm4life

No for the Canyon/Colorado/H3. As has been said repeatedly, GM has a 3.0 L 4-cylinder truck engine for them. Less hp, but lower speed for real stump-pulling power. Vue, Saab 9-4X, BRX, GMC Theta, Lambda crossovers, Zeta and Epsilon sedans, certainly, but it will be a top-of-the line option, almost as expensive as the full GMPD version (a real performance model, not an Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP). Probably too much of a stretch for a Chevrolet.

Alfa has a real nice 2.4L 5 cly TDI--200hp. I''d love that in a Cobalt.

But this new 2.9L would be very nice for a select few GM vehicles.

Although I have to say to all the people who voted that they want it at $1000 premium or the same as a gas engine----your nuts!

There is no free lunch here. You have to alway pay a premium up front for diesel. They cost more to design and manufacture.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:46 AM

To: Drew Dowdell

Subject: Re: CTS Diesel

We can do it, but US Bin 5 Tier 2 emissions are out of reach without another $3k worth of hardware, which would raise the diesel premium to about $5k. We don't think many Americans would go there. Europe only has to meet Euro 4 and later Euro5 emissions. Much, much easier and cheaper. Also, if you live in California, there is no way at all, ever.

California regs for passenger cars is Tier 2 Bin 5, too...

No for the Canyon/Colorado/H3. As has been said repeatedly, GM has a 3.0 L 4-cylinder truck engine for them. Less hp, but lower speed for real stump-pulling power. Vue, Saab 9-4X, BRX, GMC Theta, Lambda crossovers, Zeta and Epsilon sedans, certainly, but it will be a top-of-the line option, almost as expensive as the full GMPD version (a real performance model, not an Equinox Sport/Torrent GXP). Probably too much of a stretch for a Chevrolet.

i would much rather have a diesel engine than a hybryd engine and they've needed a diesel option for the small trucks for a long time! i would rather see this take off over hybrid technology! and why can't gm use a urea injection like mb does to kill the bad exhaust? :scratchchin:

For $5000 more, you could get a V8...

and 13mpg

not everyone want's to beat the M5 with their CTS. Some of us are just fine with the 3.6 but would like substantially better fuel efficiency.

For less than $5000 more, you can get a V8 in the Impala.... but the SS isn't *that* big a seller.