Cadillac to Debut GM's Powerful New V6 Clean Diesel

thegriffon

Diesel Acceptance  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay a small ($1-2000) premium for this Diesel option in your new GM vehicle?

• Yes, without a doubt. When can I buy it?
    • Yes, but a less than $1000 premium.
    • No, it would have to be the same cost as a gasoline engine
    • No, not at all. Uninterested totally.
    • Undecided

* GM's first production application of innovative, closed-loop combustion technology

* Cadillac CTS adds engine to its portfolio in 2009

* Low emissions, high performance and excellent fuel economy

* 184 kW/250 PS, 550 Nm (406 lb-ft) torque, 2.9 liter displacement

* Compact design enables transverse and longitudinal installation

Geneva — General Motors Corp. unveiled a new 2.9 liter V6 turbo-diesel engine that features state-of-the-art injection and combustion technology for minimum emissions and maximum performance.

The new engine (184 kW/250 PS) will be mainly sold in Europe and makes its debut at the Geneva Motor Show (March 8–18). Its first production application is scheduled for 2009 in the new Cadillac CTS. Full release and photo from AutoReport…

Same bore as the current VM diesel built by GM Daewoo, same stroke as the Fiat-GM diesel built in Germany, more powerful than current 3.0 L V6 diesels from Jaguar, Mercedes, Audi or BMW, but not BMW's Twin Turbo.

Edited by Flybrian

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's pretty impressive. 250HP and 406lb-ft would be pretty quick. I really hope they don't keep this mainly in Europe, though. I think they should stick this in the T355s (trucks and H3), perhaps the Lambdas, and maybe even some Zetas. Diesel engines would definitely be an easy way to raise CAFE without spending a whole lot of money if they already have them developed. I think if marketed correctly, they would sell. I don't think I'd buy a diesel CTS or any non-compact car, but if this was put in the H3 I would definitely select it over the I5, and probably in the Lambdas too.

Wow, that's pretty impressive. 250HP and 406lb-ft would be pretty quick. I really hope they don't keep this mainly in Europe, though. I think they should stick this in the T355s (trucks and H3), perhaps the Lambdas, and maybe even some Zetas. Diesel engines would definitely be an easy way to raise CAFE without spending a whole lot of money if they already have them developed. I think if marketed correctly, they would sell. I don't think I'd buy a diesel CTS or any non-compact car, but if this was put in the H3 I would definitely select it over the I5, and probably in the Lambdas too.

The 355's will get an upgraded 3.0 L 4-cylinder—a truck engine with maybe 170 hp (currently 160) and 400 lb-ft at a lower speed (c1500 rpm).

It means there will be some sales outside Europe, but nowhere near as many. This engine should make up 50% or more of CTS sales in Europe, and probably a a similar proportion of V6 model Saabs and Opels, but outside Europe it will only be a niche offering. It would do well in the new-generation TEs, Epsilon IIs, Zetas and smaller rwd cars.

I'd love to see it available in the Camaro with a 6spd manual.

show me the numbers time wise what that would produce and i might be interested in it as a second car

I would like them to bring it here only if the price of diesel(gas too!) goes down. The price of diesel is still higher than gasoline prices right now and probably will only go higher along with gas prices. Right now gas in Michigan from what I've seen on average is $2.41 to $2.56 and diesel is anywhere from $2.69 to $2.80. I can only imagine what it is on the West coast. Nice engine but the damn EPA still has a stranglehold on diesels in America, causing most everyone the option not to buy one. I know too the cost of development does not help either, and the technology that goes in them to make them very clean.

e-mail sent

edit: Would you believe I've received a personal response from Bob already? I've asked his permission to post his response here.

Are you serious? That's awsome. I hope he gets back to you and says yes. IF you're pulling my leg that's just mean though.