Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spied: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe

DetroitNut90

A camera-wielding driver over on the Howard Forums website (a cell phone forum) has caught what appears to be the 2008 Honda Accord, which looks encouragingly like the concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show this past January.

Note that the Accord Coupe retains the strong upswept character line along its flanks, and the high-set taillamps. And while the prototype remains thick with cladding, it clearly sports a different exhaust treatment, as well as smaller ten-spoke wheels.

Winding Road

-------------------

Not bad at all, IMO.

The front door looks too small...

It's the camera playing tricks. Because it is so close, it makes the focal point (being the right rear fender) look much larger than the rest of the car, which is fading into the background of image.

Here's a quick comparison of the rear 3/4 view. The concept photograph is taken with a real camera from a distance, giving a more clear idea of the proportions. Nothing significant was changed from the concept to the production version in the spy shot, so the proportions are exactly the same.

You can see they went away from the Altezza style tail lights and moved the 3rd brake light to the window from the trunk lid (I kind of like it on the trunk more).

And of course the white tape disguises the actual shape/size of the tail lights quite well.

Posted Image

Edited by siegen

Traditionally, Honda has failed to impress me with any aspect of their cars other than fuel economy.

The new Accord coupe changes nothing.

Bring me a Mailibu so that I may forget about this car.

I guarantee you we'll have to wait for Epsilon II before we see a better GM mid-size than the Accord.

Exactly what do you mean by "better"?

Better interior quality, fit'n'finish and design. Better performing, handling, drivability. Just all around better, pretty much. The current Accord is already the best in its class, Honda doesn't have to do that much to it anyway.

Better interior quality, fit'n'finish and design. Better performing, handling, drivability. Just all around better, pretty much. The current Accord is already the best in its class, Honda doesn't have to do that much to it anyway.

from someone with plently of accord experience I'd say there is plenty of work for Honda to do.

this thing is like the A5. hardly spectacular. but because it has a trendy brand import badge on it people pull adjectives out of their ass to make it look better than it is.

If this said 'Pontiac', response would be lukewarm.

I'm not saying they mailed it in COMPLETELY, just saying this is not anything worth raving about. Only people obsessed with a "T" or an "H" will care.

Edited by regfootball

Looks to have lost little from the so-called concept, which is a good thing.

There are a lot of people here who will hate on the Accord for the simple fact that it is a Honda. Too bad. The Accord has always been a great car, and this coming generation will be so much the better. Yeah, the new Malibu is great, too, but I'd say it is still playing catch-up, especially with regards to powertrains and simple driving dynamics.

from someone with plently of accord experience I'd say there is plenty of work for Honda to do.

Not as much work as the amount of work that needs to be done with the Camry.

this thing is like the A5. hardly spectacular. but because it has a trendy brand import badge on it people pull adjectives out of their ass to make it look better than it is.

If this said 'Pontiac', response would be lukewarm.

I'm not saying they mailed it in COMPLETELY, just saying this is not anything worth raving about. Only people obsessed with a "T" or an "H" will care.

If it was a Pontiac we could at least say "well, it's not ugly!"

Edited by Dodgefan

I really like it. Tight, trim, sharply sculpted and modern, all while still riding a generally conservative line--exactly what sells.

Perfect timing too, as the current car still has the best driving dynamics and finish overall, but is looking old and was never much of a looker. Combined with even better dynamics and performance, and it should do very well.

Really want to see some new Accord-Camry-Altima-Malibu-Sebring-Optima-Sonata-etc. huge comparisons again, before long.

Looks to have lost little from the so-called concept, which is a good thing.

There are a lot of people here who will hate on the Accord for the simple fact that it is a Honda. Too bad. The Accord has always been a great car, and this coming generation will be so much the better. Yeah, the new Malibu is great, too, but I'd say it is still playing catch-up, especially with regards to powertrains and simple driving dynamics.

Since you have been able to sit in and drive both the 2008 Malibu and 2008 Accord already is how you can say that.

Eh typical Japanese car. They all try to look aggressive but, in my opinion, they just end up looking like they were all designed by the same person who could only draw one car.

But in the USA, bland isn't bad. I mean there is alot worse than bland. Chevy needs all the bland, appeal to the masses, good interior, safe deseign, good built quality, ect. cars it can get. We won't be crazy about them, but we are enthusiats -- the speciality brands (like Pontiac once they fix it) is what we're gonna like. Who hear drives an Impala? I mean a regular one, not 1960s or 1996 customized, i mean a regular old 05 impala or something..

uhh..back to this topic. New accord is stiff competition for camry. This will kill the Solora (if it isn't already dead. I haven't seen one of those things in a while)

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Since you have been able to sit in and drive both the 2008 Malibu and 2008 Accord already is how you can say that.

Well, Petra is only assuming based on past historical events, regarding Malibus in the past. And, you seem to be an expert of how the new Accord is inside and out, you've been bashing it from the first post.

Well, Petra is only assuming based on past historical events, regarding Malibus in the past. And, you seem to be an expert of how the new Accord is inside and out, you've been bashing it from the first post.

yeah, like as in the last / current accord coupe looked like it had a mercedes back end when it came out and it was supposed to be the best coupe since sliced bread and last i checked it didn't set the sales world on fire.

Overall shape looks good. I have a feeling that enough little things will change and make the production version overall not look as good as the concept. For example, it's already been pointed out that the CHMSL moved from the decklid to inside the rear window. Did you also notice that the bumper appears to go further down in the production version? The concept bumper is far more attractive.

I can't say yet whether the Malibu stands a chance against this, but if the past is any indication, the Malibu will end up being another also-ran.

Reg, we get it, you're biased. Now shut up. :P

Anyways, it looks really good, even with all the white tape. Seems like Honda is returning to a style similar to the 94-97 and 98-02 Accords, which is quite welcome. I never really liked the styling of the current one.

Agreed, it seemed to get a bit bloated and too soft, and as was said for the first few years--had a very "Buick" butt and such to it. Of course, that was changed, but even then looked a tad awkward.

This, styling alone, is a nice improvement, and you can only wait on the interior and drivetrain details, which are always class topping--as prematurely biased as that sounds.

That rakish greenhouse is NOT enough to fix the Saturn

Ion trunk & toyota-genric profile. Another boring Honda.

The new Accord will be a damn hot car, too bad it won't get the sales it deserves.

Are you guys kidding me?

The POS Accord (2 and 4 dr) already gets more sales

than it deserves. Honda is disgustingly over rated.

That rakish greenhouse is NOT enough to fix the Saturn

Ion trunk & toyota-genric profile. Another boring Honda.

Are you guys kidding me?

The POS Accord (2 and 4 dr) already gets more sales

than it deserves. Honda is disgustingly over rated.

right. you hit the nail on the head with this one panther. the accord is a nice device, but when it tries to glam up and be fashionable, it stumbles badly. if honda wants to play in the style set, then it should bring some actual style to the table.

Of course, Honda is the same way in motorcycles. Watered down design chiches of whatever is hot at the time.

The 1st gen G35 coupe, that at least had some style for a rice coupe.

Edited by regfootball

It follows the surfacing effect of the Civic and Cr-V that creates a more luxurious effect. This alone makes it more expensive looking than any car in its class. If you look close enough the C-pillar has maintained that dramatic cut that gave the concept edge. But there are a few things that have changed, enough minor details to rob the concept of some sport and give the production less of a youthful feeling and more of a pampered luxury mobile. The car won't look anything like the Solara once the tape is off, so get that out of your head; i'm talking about minor details like the broadness of the c-pillar at the bottom edge; I figured out what the compromise was that has created the extended look out back. It's not that the bumper is actually any bigger at the leading edge from the trunk, but the rear wheel moved forward and the c-pillar base was largened, and the rear glass was made longer, all of this creating an effect of fater and wider at the rear behind the door. This is a compromise for rear seat headroom and room if there ever was any. The character line that connects the fender flares at the bottom of the car has lost some of its swoop and so has the line that runs across the door handles. All of this conspiring to make a more adult feeling car. Less of an appeal for me than the concept which I loved. It's not my taste, but it's still a nice coupe and definitely will play well to the market it has always attracted; I think the concept had a slightly better chance of attracting males though.

It has a great stance; like the Civic but wider and more proportionally correct. I was just thinking the C-pillar thing is exactly what is happening with the Civic too, so it makes sense that they were thinking the same way for their uplevel coupe. It already looks a little more luxurious and modern than Malibu, definitely more than Camry, I think it'll be a closer call with the Malibu than most people here are giving credit for.