BrewSwillis

You ready for a V8-powered, RWD coupe from Hyundai?

87 posts in this topic

Posted Image

You ready for a V8-powered, RWD coupe from Hyundai?

Posted Apr 30th 2007 3:56PM by John Neff

Filed under: Concept Cars, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Hyundai

While we were digitally thumbing through the latest virtual issue of Winding Road (subscribe here for free if you haven't already), we were struck by a particularly well done article on the forthcoming Genesis sedan from Hyundai. The WR folk dug deep and unearthed a lot of info about the sedan, and what its new BH platform means for the Korean automaker. For one, the BH platform will spawn four vehicles in total: the Gensis, a long-wheelbase Genesis Plus, a Genesis-esque Kia model, and (drum roll, please) a sporty rear-wheel-drive, V8-powered coupe that may look like the rendering above. Now, no one knows what this coupe will look like or even how far along in development it is, but kudos go to the WR-commissioned artist who created this image, because it looks great.

Assuming a heavy dose of parts sharing will go on between the BH platform mates, we should expect this RWD coupe to be offered with either a V6 or the new "Tau" V8 that will power the Genesis. The "Tau" is said to be capable of "well over" 300 horsepower and we already know the company's 3.8L V6 is a gem, so Hyundai's forthcoming coupe has plenty of powerplant potential. Reportedly, however, none of the BH cars will be offered with a true manual transmission. Instead, we should expect some sort of manually controlled automatics.

Considering that a Genesis equipped with a V6 is rumored to carry a price tag below $30,000, we're curious to know which other RWD coupes you think will be the biggest competition for this car. Would its combination of a low price tag and powerful engine make it attractive to the Mustang crowd, or is Hyundai staring down the grille of Infiniti's new G37? Time will tell, and we can't wait.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/30/you-rea...e-from-hyundai/

Here's the problem. It can look that good. It can be that powerful.

I doubt many will get past the crooked "H" when it comes time to dropping $30,000+ on a sportscar/sports luxury car.

That thing looks awesome, if the final product looks like that then I may have to add that to my list of possible future cars.

Edited by Dodgefan

That doesn't look bad, but there's a lot of stuff I'd take over that for similar coin.

Here's the problem. It can look that good. It can be that powerful.

I doubt many will get past the crooked "H" when it comes time to dropping $30,000+ on a sportscar/sports luxury car.

On the heels of GM's supposed delay/pullback of the Zeta program, I'd say they've got a shot....remember, not too long ago "Made in Japan" implied cheap & crappy.

Kudos to Hyundai for having the balls to take a chance....

I wish the G6 looked like that...then maybe I'd want one....Nah this will be RWD...so I'd still want it more.

A combination of Audi for that horrible grid, Pontiac (GTO for the fact of 30,000 V-8 coupe and G-6 for its body), Honda for the Headlight looks.

>>"remember, not too long ago "Made in Japan" implied cheap & crappy."<<

That was AT LEAST 25 years ago; for Hyundai (assuming you accept all the recent supposed quality allocades) it was more like 3 years ago.

Feel free to gamble your money, I've learned the hard way, otherwise.

>>"remember, not too long ago "Made in Japan" implied cheap & crappy."<<

That was AT LEAST 25 years ago; for Hyundai (assuming you accept all the recent supposed quality allocades) it was more like 3 years ago.

Feel free to gamble your money, I've learned the hard way, otherwise.

every journey starts with a first step.

What makes you think Korea won't surpass the Japanese, eventually?

Grille is vomit inducing. However the overall shape and headlights seem sharp. Do remember this is a possible rendering of what it MAY look like.

Cool.

I'll probably never buy one but if I have to stare at these things at

least it looks better than most Toyotas/Hondas & it is RWD. Maybe

if I see one in the want ad for $300 fifteen years from now I'll get

it for a winter beater so my 1961 Cadillac & 1959 Buick don;t see

the salt but I can still go drifting durring blizzards.

The coupe they are talking about is the next gen Tiburon. It wouldn't start anywhere near 30k. The mention of 30k in that story is a reference to the production version of the Genesis.

Edited by Chris_Doane

tib replacement?

or something above that?

The coupe they are talking about is the next gen Tiburon. It wouldn't start anywhere near 30k. The mention of 30k in that story is a reference to the production version of the Genesis.

If Hyundai holds the price increase to a reasonable amount, why buy a G6 2-door?