Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spied: 2009 Honda Ridgeline

Variance

Spied: 2009 Honda Ridgeline

Honda's Ridgeline pickup truck is due for an update, and spy photos prove that an overhaul is on the way. A new front-end design consists of a new grille and a revised front bumper, which looks similar to an early prototype of the next-generation Honda Pilot.

Edmunds

FTA:

What this means to you: The truck business is highly competitive, and Honda knows it needs to keep the Ridgeline fresh in order to play with the big boys.

Fixed:

What this means to you: The truck business is highly competitive, and Honda knows it can't play with the big boys.

I was hopeful for more of an update to the Ridgeline--maybe the changes will be under the hood with a diesel or a hybrid???

I've owned my Ridgeline RTL for over a year now with 21,000 trouble-free miles. Prior to me owning my Ridgeline, I owned 6 Chevy Silverados (circa 1991 through 2004) and the Ridgeline's versatility, car-like driving, and awesome utility are far superior to the Silverado. Honda is not afraid to think and build outside of the box. Where oh where is the in-bed trunk in the Chevy and Fords?

I live in small town Americana (rural Minnesota--the heart of Chevy and Ford truck country) and I still get a lot of looks and "wow, that pickup is cool" comments.

The Honda is a very fine pickup--the other pickup manufacturers can learn a lot from Honda. Innovation sold me on the Honda. Lets see some serious innovation from the US pickup manufacturers now!

I was hopeful for more of an update to the Ridgeline--maybe the changes will be under the hood with a diesel or a hybrid???

I've owned my Ridgeline RTL for over a year now with 21,000 trouble-free miles. Prior to me owning my Ridgeline, I owned 6 Chevy Silverados (circa 1991 through 2004) and the Ridgeline's versatility, car-like driving, and awesome utility are far superior to the Silverado. Honda is not afraid to think and build outside of the box. Where oh where is the in-bed trunk in the Chevy and Fords?

I live in small town Americana (rural Minnesota--the heart of Chevy and Ford truck country) and I still get a lot of looks and "wow, that pickup is cool" comments.

The Honda is a very fine pickup--the other pickup manufacturers can learn a lot from Honda. Innovation sold me on the Honda. Lets see some serious innovation from the US pickup manufacturers now!

You've got to be kidding me, and if not then pass whatever it is that you're smoking....cause I gotta get me some of that :lol:

Edited by Delta Force79

Where are the in bed trunks in the Chevys? In an infinitely more convenient location.

Posted Image

I keep an air mattress, pillow, and sheets in one side, and there is enough room for a small duffel bag on the other side. It locks. It can be used as a cooler if you fill it with ice. It has a drain hole for said ice. It's lighted and weather proof.

Where is the innovation from Honda I ask you? Why didn't they make the Ridgeline with a midgate that folds down to allow a full 4x8 bed?

Posted Image

Why doesn't the rear window come out... and still have a rear defroster?

Why does the Ridgeline with 247hp and 245ft/lbs only get 16/21 with a 5,000lbs tow rating when an Avalanche with 320hp and 340 ft/lbs gets 15/20 AND runs on an Alternative fuel with an 8,000lbs tow rating......

Where is the innovation indeed?

Where are the in bed trunks in the Chevys? In an infinitely more convenient location.

Posted Image

I keep an air mattress, pillow, and sheets in one side, and there is enough room for a small duffel bag on the other side. It locks. It can be used as a cooler if you fill it with ice. It has a drain hole for said ice. It's lighted and weather proof.

Where is the innovation from Honda I ask you? Why didn't they make the Ridgeline with a midgate that folds down to allow a full 4x8 bed?

Posted Image

Why does the Ridgeline with 247hp and 245ft/lbs only get 16/21 with a 5,000lbs tow rating when an Avalanche with 320hp and 340 ft/lbs gets 15/20 AND runs on an Alternative fuel with an 8,000lbs tow rating......

:pokeowned:

In this forum we don't pay the "Troll" to cross the bridge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

|-|4RD(0R3 P\/\//\/4G3

Don't forget that the Chevy's frame probably won't bend in half.

Edited by Dodgefan

Here's a few innovations that I appreciate in my Honda:

>--dual action tail gate,

>--in-bed trunk

>--independent rear suspension

>--25% better mileage than my 2004 Silverado

>--my Trek Madone bicycle can fit in the back with the seats raised, and not broke down

>--can pull my lawn mower trailer and boat with no problems

>--tight steering, taught suspension (no couch-on-wheels feeling)

Chevy also frustrated me (and my pocket book) with all their screwing around with rebates, lowering sticker prices, etc. In 2 year's time, my $37,000 list Silverado with 35,000 miles sold for $19,000. Sad, sad, sad.

I'm not hear to argue the benefits of the Honda versus the Avalanche, but just to point out what sold me on the Honda. Both are great vehicles. It all depends on how a guy uses his truck and what the needs are.

The freedom of choice is what makes America great.

P.S. I will buy an Avalanche when the dual mode hybrid becomes available!

>--in-bed trunk

>--my Trek Madone bicycle can fit in the back with the seats raised, and not broke down

Chevy also frustrated me (and my pocket book) with all their screwing around with rebates, lowering sticker prices, etc. In 2 year's time, my $37,000 list Silverado with 35,000 miles sold for $19,000. Sad, sad, sad.

I'm not hear to argue the benefits of the Honda versus the Avalanche, but just to point out what sold me on the Honda. Both are great vehicles. It all depends on how a guy uses his truck and what the needs are.

You didn't actually pay list on a Silverado did you?

Did you ever test drive an Avalanche? They don't handle like the Silverado.

As far as those innovations, none are Honda's except maybe the in bed trunk... which is surpassed in usefulness by the Avalanche's "saddle bags". The dual action tail gate dates back to the 60s or 70s on the GM wagons.

Well Randy, you obviously use your Ridgeline for very light duty - and that's a good thing. It's good because that is all that is safe to do with one. It is nothing but a minivan with a trucklike body and reinforcements added to its unibody. It doesn't qualify as a truck because of its structural and mechanical limitations. It is a pretender.

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in an Avalanche - there is hope for you yet!

Well Randy, you obviously use your Ridgeline for very light duty - and that's a good thing. It's good because that is all that is safe to do with one. It is nothing but a minivan with a trucklike body and reinforcements added to its unibody. It doesn't qualify as a truck because of its structural and mechanical limitations. It is a pretender.

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in an Avalanche - there is hope for you yet!

Like I said, I've owned 6, yes six, Silverados so I'm no stranger to Chevrolet. Chevy has a fine product, no doubt about it. Sometimes change is good. The same-ole, same-ole gets boring after a while.

For now I'm happy to be driving my truck "pretender"!

Like I said, I'm not hear to argue one truck over another, but simply to share my experience.

Gotta love pick'em up trucks!

Like I said, I've owned 6, yes six, Silverados so I'm no stranger to Chevrolet. Chevy has a fine product, no doubt about it. Sometimes change is good. The same-ole, same-ole gets boring after a while.

For now I'm happy to be driving my truck "pretender"!

Like I said, I'm not hear to argue one truck over another, but simply to share my experience.

Gotta love pick'em up trucks!

Well, you do have a good attitude about it all.

Now that we have welcomed you C&G style, enjoy your stay. 8)

BTW: I have you beat on the Silverado count. :AH-HA_wink:

BTW: I have you beat on the Silverado count. :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks Camino!

I've been reading Cheers and Gears religiously for a couple years now and always enjoy the forums and information.

Hum, guess I better get a buying some more Chevy's to catch up with you! :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks Camino!

I've been reading Cheers and Gears religiously for a couple years now and always enjoy the forums and information.

Hum, guess I better get a buying some more Chevy's to catch up with you! :AH-HA_wink:

:thumbsup:

My current full-size Chevy count is up to 11 (one was a GMC).

Unless we are counting Suburbans...

That isn't new the Envoy XUV had that first. And WAY back in the day Station wagons had tail gates that did this.

Might want to check out the Explorer Sport Trac for that one.

Sure but its newer. Compared to a same year Silverado and it gets beat.

And so could a Trailblazer, whats the big deal?

Not trying to be difficult but more to inform.

>--in-bed trunk

You're absolutely right. Makes me want to move to Japan and buy an Avalanche - OOPs, that's right. I can't. They wouldn't be allowed. Maybe I'll just make a nice pile of dollars on my front lawn and set fire to them.

I see the bed sides are still annoyingly high.

Isn't that what keeps it from being even MORE ho-hum than it already is? I don't like that new Honda Truck front end. It looks worse than the CRV's, and that's very bad indeed. In fact the only handsome front end they has had in awhile is that of the Accord concept, and I was hoping that would spread across the line-up.

I think they should help Ford and Chevy stomp out Toyota instead of pumping out this minivan based pretender.

friend of mine put some gear in the below-bed compartment. he then proceeded to load up his "truck" with lots of stuff from his apt to drive to his new place. suddenly, the keys were no where to be found.

the were in the below-bed compartment. everything had to be removed from the truck to get the crap out of the bottom.

stupidest design ever.

Edited by jbartley

Welcomed = hazed LOL

RandyMN certainly didn't get defensive when his vehicle was lambasted. I probably wouldn't have remained that cool.

That said, my Town Car has truckier stats [save for not having a bed] than does the Ridgeline...however, I'm quite sure that most Hondas the same age as my Town Car that beat it at resale. I'm not saying what I paid, but it was a ridiculously low amount for a five-years-young low mileage Lincoln. Something's got to be said for Honda's resale...

Edited by Cadavillac

I think randy said it best when he said he just needed a change from the same old stuff that has been in his yard. You do have to admit that with money no object that the Ridgline is an ok light duty option to an Avalanche plus it is very unique looking so you will stand out in the parking lot.

With all those Silverados under his belt we all know randy is a true Chevy lover that will see another top rated Chevy in the drive way one day.

P.S. : that resale value thing goes to GM when it comes to trucks and its only a mater of time before GM catches up in cars.

Edited by eldiablobanshee

Hopefully a diesel V6 will be added. The smallish V6 isn't a good engine choice for this vehicle.

The same can be said about GM's 4.3L V6 available in its base model trucks. It only achieves 1-2mpg better than the 5.3L/6.0L engines.

The same can be said about GM's 4.3L V6 available in its base model trucks. It only achieves 1-2mpg better than the 5.3L/6.0L engines.

those are for your PennDOT contractors getting the absolute cheapest full sized truck possible.

those are for your PennDOT contractors getting the absolute cheapest full sized truck possible.

And the Mercruiser guys who don't want to get stuck in the middle of Lake Michigan with a overly complicated Honda outboard...