Flybrian

2011 C7 'Vette could go mid-engine?

63 posts in this topic

Chances of a Mid-Engined C7 Corvette?
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ Winding Road

This issue of Winding Road showcases a discussion with some analysts and experts about the direction the next Corvette is going to take and while its all but certain that the C7 will be a front-engine rear-wheel drive car as it has been for over a half century, the possibility is entertained that a mid-engined 'Vette could be sold alongside a tradtional one.

Click here for the article in its entirety.

Quick notes:
  • Final designs have been submitted to Ed Wellburn from design teams this June.
  • C7 (GMX711) will debut in 2011, coinciding with Chevrolet's centennial.
  • One possibility is for a mid-engined platform to be shared between Chevy (s/c V8) and Cadillac (V12).
  • Due to hamstrung V8s in the mid/late-1970s, designers heavily explored mid-engined V6 powertrains for the C4. Many of those concepts ended up in the Pontiac Fiero.

So they want to build 2 Corvettes at the same time, on completely different platforms? Hardly sounds cost effective, but cool nonetheless.

So they want to build 2 Corvettes at the same time, on completely different platforms? Hardly sounds cost effective, but cool nonetheless.

There have been rumblings for a long time now about GM making a new brand called Corvette. All the models would take after the original in that they would rival the best performance cars in the world, but have a more down-to-earth price tag. So in that light, a mid-engine "halo" Vette to sit next to the current would make a lot of sense.

But don't take this seriously, it's only rumblings and wishing and there is no reason to expect this to actually happen.

The standard C7 will be front engine and we go through this every time there is a change in the platform. There are two groups with one for the mid engine and one front. The mid engine guy always lose out.

As for the future I would not rule out a limited car as mentions to be shared with Caddy as a low volume mid engine car but is still remote. The odds are not good but there is a slight opening in the door. The part that may help it is the Blue Devil and taking it to the next level in the future.

But it is a long shot and a lot of other things and factors would need to come together. It is not a priority for GM and will remain so till their house is in better order.

The things that all weigh in on this is the Vette is a affordable 8 Cylinder two seater front engine car to the purist anything else is not a Corvette. Just the same for the 911 owners as it is a rear engine slopping back coupe and anything else will never be a 911 to their owners.

The standard C7 will be front engine and we go through this every time there is a change in the platform. There are two groups with one for the mid engine and one front. The mid engine guy always lose out.

As for the future I would not rule out a limited car as mentions to be shared with Caddy as a low volume mid engine car but is still remote. The odds are not good but there is a slight opening in the door. The part that may help it is the Blue Devil and taking it to the next level in the future.

But it is a long shot and a lot of other things and factors would need to come together. It is not a priority for GM and will remain so till their house is in better order.

The things that all weigh in on this is the Vette is a affordable 8 Cylinder two seater front engine car to the purist anything else is not a Corvette. Just the same for the 911 owners as it is a rear engine slopping back coupe and anything else will never be a 911 to their owners.

Exactly, talk of a mid-engined Corvette has been occurring since the late 50s. And with the current front engine/rear transaxle configuration performing very well - some drivers actually prefer it to a mid-engine layout - there isn't much of a need to make the Corvette mid-engined. However, if they're looking for a business case for a mid-engined supercar for Caddy, why not share the platform with Pontiac?

Now that is an uncharted territory, where GM can test its waters. A $60k mid-engined machine, which can blow the snobs from old world which cost at least twice as much. With Audi R8, and MB as well as BMW in plans for a mid-engined cars, it may be an all out war. Imagine how much fun it will it be if Chevy Vette responds to them with vengeance.

If highly successful it will occupy a nice niche like the regular Corvette, a class of its own.

I don't think they should mess with tradition, BUT......if marketed right I think GM may be onto something. I see a brand within a brand here, if they are going to be two Vettes under the Chevrolet name. Two high performance or three, models that focus strictly on performance. The C7 can be exactly what it is now a high performance monster with a affordable price that is half the price of it's competitors. The C7 can be the entry level car of the Corvette brand. The sister cars of the C7 that are mid-engineened can be targeted more up market to enter the bracket of more exotic cars like Lamborgini and Ferrari. If Corvette is moving toward being an individual brand, three very good and awesome cars can do it. Lamborgini only have two names. Aston Martin have three and Ferrari also have three(four if your counting the ENZO).

It can work if it's done right, but since it's an american made product it can't afford to slip in any area, or it will be the laughing stock in the automotive industry. Everyone thinks american products are inferior and can't ever match-up to anything german or Italian.

The problem is, if it is still offered as a Chevrolet what do you call it, Chevrolet Corvette C7.....?

Dave McLellan rightly said, the cost of R&D is the same for front or rear engined vehicles. Why not make them both and let the market decide it.

As a die hard Chevy Corvette fan and a Z06 owner, I do not think Corvette should be a separate brand.

I agree. Perhaps we'll a C7 concept that shows the design direction for the next Vette.

Also, I really want to see what GM is going to do with the Cadillac version. Will they go Cien all the way or will they turn it into a supercar with Sixteen styling? It makes perfect sense for Cadillac since all luxury makers are putting some serious money into their own supercars. We can thank Audi for making it really popular, I guess.

I feel like the rumors about a Vette division and a mid engine vette occur everytime the car is redone. I don't think it's going to happen and look where the story is comming from: Winding Road. Who knows they may be right but they lost all credibilty from me and anyone else who's done a tadbit of journalism after the fake devil thing.

right, mid engines are cool but not vette cool. besides the biggest gain for a mid engine car is the near perfect weight ratio... isnt the ZO6 just that???

The standard C7 will be front engine and we go through this every time there is a change in the platform.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing: remember this? Edited by ZL-1

:lol: I was thinking the same thing: remember this?

Somebody even gave the C6 one a name: Blue Devil. Whatever happened to that, and who came up with that name? Was it actually GM?

I'd put this in the unlikely column, however, not as quickly as I would have in the past. This time I can see a few reasons why it could happen.

- Competitors dancing around with a mid-engine layout.

- Ford did the GT

- Most importantly, Caddy may be pushing for it to make a business case for a Cien/Sixteen.

- Imagine the marketing opportunities in debuting a Cien for GMs 100th.

It would be one hell of a roll of the dice for the Corvette brand though, and I'm not so sure it's worth it. I like Z's idea of sharing this platform between Caddy and Pontiac - might be the better route to go.

Corvette is so right just as it is, why mess with success?

But then, that Vette/Cien chop does look natural.

Decisions, decisions.

well there's going to be a second, kappa based Vette, so I dont' see whats so far fetched about a 3rd, mid-engined version being included in the Vette "sub-brand".

I know this is not really the topic here, but I seriously doubt we'll see the C7 by 2011.

I get the feeling it'll be the concept/pre-production version we'd see in '11

That kappa Vette idea - I thought that it had no real chance? Haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

I feel like the rumors about a Vette division and a mid engine vette occur everytime the car is redone.

That kappa Vette idea - I thought that it had no real chance? Haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

havent' been around much. maybe I just missed it

Yeah, I think this was all part of the idea that GM would spawn a brand around Corvette. You could have a Kappa as an entry model, a front-engine rear-drive model like the one that exists, and mid-engine that would share with a Caddy CIEN type vehicle.

However, I think this idea has been tanked. You never know when it will be alive again, but I wouldn't expect it to happen until GM is solidly on their feet and they feel that they are competing at the level they need to be in other areas.

They will not have a Corvette brand, a Corvette is a Chevy. Not a Corvette, Corvette, wait that makes no sense!

I could see the "Blue Devil" being mid-engined. It gives it a more exotic feel and the ability to be higher-performing than a front-engined car. That would easily command the $100+k price tag that some don't feel the C6 Blue Devil is going to be able to command (though they are wrong, IMO).

They will not have a Corvette brand, a Corvette is a Chevy. Not a Corvette, Corvette, wait that makes no sense!

Corvette K04

Corvette Z08

Corvette C12

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead