temporary link until the mods get a more professional one up

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/13/detroit...ototype-appear/

yuck

i think this classifies as 'half assed'

those lambdas are a smiling.....

is honda rebadging isuzus again?

nice cheap dashboard. that shifter is so.....well placed.

Edited by regfootball

It is a vast improvement over the current Pilot, although that is not saying much. For a company that makes decent looking cars (Civic, some of the Acura line up), its truck line up looks like it has been beaten by an Ugly Bush, forget the stick. I've always thought their trucks made Toyota's look glamorous.

It looks like the truck market is going to get more interesting very soon. I hope GM has a doozer in the wings for a Equinox replacement. :rolleyes:

I like it except for the bizarre headlights and the angle of the shifter, which seems to be at an unnatural horizontal angle for smooth operation. The quarter glass' beveled sheetmetal surround says "Jeep Liberty" to me.

I'd consider this interior to be a definite downgrade from a Lambda, even if just in terms of styling. That front end is atrocious, too.

Honda is capable of making good-looking cars (new Accord, S2000, Civic coupe, Acuras), but their SUVs look bizarre at best.

I like this better than the platypus-like CR-V, the smaller Honda SUV also has a totally incongruous side window line in relation to the roof shape... I've said that from when we first saw it, yet... it has gone on to become the best-selling SUV on the market here in The States.

we make fun of the tundra being a 'turd' but i think that this thing is as justified to bear the turd label. i haven't seen an effort this half assed from kia even, lately.

-edit-

sad thing is, the intelligentsia will line up with eager checkbooks for this half baked trash.

-second edit-

why i am baking this is the exterior is way to conservative and upright, even if its inoffensive. the biggest transgression is the brutally bad interior.

Edited by regfootball

What's wierd with this design is there is no effort at maintaining any family resembalance with the CR-V...only the badging relates the two.

as bad as this is, we should all be very thankful its not a larger CRV clone.

this must be hondas new strategy. make the acuras somewhat attractive, so folks will pay 40% more for the same car, because the honda version is so ugly.

It's really not that bad.. it's just... completely devoid of excitement. Especially the exterior... The interior is different. Sort of odd and minivan like. I do like the center stack and how the lines mimic the NAV screen all the way down. I don't like the cutout for the screen, though, its competely random.

the headlights are...interesting, but look very weird with the rest of the front.

the shifter, like a column shifter, but moving into the dash, trying to be a console shifter. *It's Alive!*

too many button looking dots on the center column.

the side profile looks Escapish.

the seat color is actually kinda cool, but good, i don't know...

Oh dear, thickest B-Pillar ever! Axe it!

Not a bad design for the interior. The exterior is better, but I'm not a fan. Rear is okay with some strange lines mixed in, the side looks kind of bubbly/cartoonish to me, and the face is creepy.

:blink:

Is this what Honda means by "sexy" ?!?!?!?!

Comments:

1) Did Honda source this thing from China?

2) Since when did Honda enter into a partnership with Playskool for their exterior styling and interior materials?

3) It looks like a Hummer humped a Jeep and had a kid with downs...

4) Seriously, is Honda sitting back and laughing at how dumb and tasteless americans are now or what?!?!?

5) Every soccer mom in america will suck this $h! up though

6) It'll sell on reputation with Honda marketing claiming it as "technological and sophisticated" to squeak by, just like they did with the Ridgeline... Civic... And Accord.

7) I see a lot of the ODDyssey in the rear especially, not really a good thing if they're looking to extend their buyer base.

8) I can't wait to see what the el cheapo version; you know, the one with gray cladding and steel wheels that somehow never gets tested by the rags, looks like if this is the top of the line version.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

It's no doubt those headlights are goofy as hell. But this is just a concept, not even a prototype. It's gong to look quite a bit better in production form. Honda is obviously going with a Land Rover type look. Will it pay off? Who knows.

Seems Honda likes the new Liberty so much they'd use it for inspiration and just round off the edges. Overall it's not bad until you get to the front end. The face is weird and creepy looking like something out of a weird anime. It's not pretty at all. The interior is kind of cool and funky, something I like about Honda's interiors, but the it seems that they once again were inspired by Chrysler and this time mimicked the Caravan's shifter placement.

Edited by Dodgefan

that shifter is so.....well placed.

I like it except for the bizarre headlights and the angle of the shifter, which seems to be at an unnatural horizontal angle for smooth operation.

the shifter, like a column shifter, but moving into the dash, trying to be a console shifter. *It's Alive!*

What exactly is wrong with the shifter?

What exactly is wrong with the shifter?

move your arm / hand forward and backward.

MMMMMM. feels nice!

now, lift your arm up and down while trying to keep your hand in the same vertical line while exercising your thumb.

if that were a manual tranny gear shifter, would you stick it out the dash like they have it?

Edited by regfootball

Besides the placement? :P

Which is the same as the CR-V, Odyssey, and Element. Why does it need a column shifter?

The design is very dull overall, except for the crazy MDX and Navigator-esque headlamps. I never understood how Honda sold so many of the current (crappy) Pilots, so this will probably do well too.

It would be difficult to understand if you base a vehicle's entire value on exterior design and then assume everyone in the world likes the same thing you do.

Honda decided to stick to a traditional SUV shape that has worked so well in the past for Jeep and GM, in particular. This is a classic shape that is rugged, manly, and distinct all the time, because it just works. Unfortunately, it's the same love/hate relationship I have with most Hondas, they seem to do something really good with the shape, but its the features I find plain/unnattractive.

The interior is all class all the way. Honda/Acura are standard-bearers for materials and they are really achieving new heights with interior design, though the end results have been as of late lacking restraint.

With every new design it is clear Honda's intentions are to push the envelope and move forward. I can only see that as a good thing. This will easily move a lot of units for them.

I watched the press video which shows the Pilot drive out onto the stage, spin around, and has a view from above the level of the Pilot looking down. With production headlights and hopefully a toned down grille, the Pilot will look good. It does have a very traditional look, and a bit bland. It really rests on what they do with the grille IMO, since the headlights are just for show (which is annoying that they don't put normal looking ones on there).

Interior space, specially 3rd row seating space, has increased, and supposedly full-size male adults can fit comfortably in the 3rd row seat. It doesn't look like exterior dimensions have increase much.

assuming the dash comes in at a level of quality equal to the ridgeline and element as is suggested above, we are looking at a pretty awfully done interior, no bones about it.

As suggested above?

Both the low and high trim level Pilots are bound to have an interior considerably nicer and more luxurious than the Ridgeline or Element.

As suggested above?

Both the low and high trim level Pilots are bound to have an interior considerably nicer and more luxurious than the Ridgeline or Element.

the Ridgeline being already of a higher quality than either Acadia or Outlook. Enclave is a harder picture to draw, there will be some elements that are of the same quality/solid feel, but the Enclave mostly is dressed up and that's what makes it appeal. Acadia and Outlook are good looking, but the quality doesn't compare, in some ways even to the current Pilot. As is the case with all the newly released GMs, the materials have improved, and are on a par with most out there, but the leaders, as in Honda/Audi/VW/BMW/Infiniti/etc, are still the leaders.

the Ridgeline being already of a higher quality than either Acadia or Outlook. Enclave is a harder picture to draw, there will be some elements that are of the same quality/solid feel, but the Enclave mostly is dressed up and that's what makes it appeal. Acadia and Outlook are good looking, but the quality doesn't compare, in some ways even to the current Pilot. As is the case with all the newly released GMs, the materials have improved, and are on a par with most out there, but the leaders, as in Honda/Audi/VW/BMW/Infiniti/etc, are still the leaders.

Infiniti's interior quality is crap. The G35 feels like the plastic melts everytime it is in sun. Even Car and Driver acknowledged it.

Infiniti's interior quality is crap. The G35 feels like the plastic melts everytime it is in sun. Even Car and Driver acknowledged it.

I would really have to look at it again to confirm, but I've had two personal meetings with that interior :hot:

and it was butta. It was wonderfully finished, but there may have been a couple of pieces I wasn't thrilled about, like the seats in the G37. The standout pieces were the door panels and door armrests, padded beautifully and stuck together TIGHT, like it was never gonna move. Those two pieces felt substantial, like high quality leather with plenty of padding and give to the material and with a great texture all while maintaining a feel of "never gonna move". The same could not be said of the CTS, which I felt was generally just barely subpar compared to the competition in the "feel and quality" department. It looks nice, so GM is more than halfway there, and the quality is drastically improved, but I was disappointed to find plenty of oldschool "GM think" in the CTS interior.

I would really have to look at it again to confirm, but I've had two personal meetings with that interior :hot:

and it was butta. It was wonderfully finished, but there may have been a couple of pieces I wasn't thrilled about, like the seats in the G37. The standout pieces were the door panels and door armrests, padded beautifully and stuck together TIGHT, like it was never gonna move. Those two pieces felt substantial, like high quality leather with plenty of padding and give to the material and with a great texture all while maintaining a feel of "never gonna move". The same could not be said of the CTS, which I felt was generally just barely subpar compared to the competition in the "feel and quality" department. It looks nice, so GM is more than halfway there, and the quality is drastically improved, but I was disappointed to find plenty of oldschool "GM think" in the CTS interior.

I think the new CTS' interior is fabulous and the auto journalists all seem to acknowledge it. I've yet to see a complaint about the interior of the CTS, and it is consistently rated better than the new C-Class, the G35 (which is consistently rated as the least luxurious among it's peers). In fact, some of the comparisons rate it better, or at least more inviting, than the IS' interior, and more inviting than the 3-Series.

current Pilot's interior plastics quality is merely average. the seats in the pilot are good, in construction, support and leather quality. the design of the interior is merely average. the knobs, controls, switches are merely average.

The Lambdas, their plastics quality is a bit shy on the outlook. I haven't seen the Enclave. The Acadia's plastics are good but still perhaps a bit shy of the Pilot.

Where you lose me is using the Ridgeline as any sort of benchmark. the ridgeline's interior is deficient on many levels. The design is bad. The plastics quality is not good. The seats have some firmness to them but I did not see any exceptional material quality. Assembly quality on the interior of the Ridgeline is less than the Pilot. The overally execution of the Ridgeline interior is much closer to the merely average results of the Element, not the 'little but above average' Pilot.

With the Pilot its wholly dependent on color also. That medium tan can be atrocious when it reflects light. Its definitely not 'low gloss'.

Most of people's perceptions of why Japanese interiors are 'good' is because the seats are well done. As are the action of switches and panel gaps. But it often can detract your scrutiny away from bad design or lackluster plastics.

I think the new CTS' interior is fabulous and the auto journalists all seem to acknowledge it. I've yet to see a complaint about the interior of the CTS, and it is consistently rated better than the new C-Class, the G35 (which is consistently rated as the least luxurious among it's peers). In fact, some of the comparisons rate it better, or at least more inviting, than the IS' interior, and more inviting than the 3-Series.

I agree that the CTS is fab. Inviting, luxurious...these are all terms alluding to the design of the interior. My comments are not about design, but quality strictly. I have a demanding sense of what I want in my automobile, and if we're here to scrutinize what the best each company has to offer is, then I have to be objective and say the CTS' interior quality/contruction is not the best. Another point is the type of pieces used, like Reg mentioned with Japanese cars something that is always admired are the seats. Case in point, with the CTS the rear center armrest is clearly pulled from just another GM, and it has no right to be in the CTS, I don't even know if it has cupholders. Sit in an Audi to see what the rear center armrest should look like...matter of fact sit in an Audi period to see incredibly well done materials that feel substantial and of high quality, as well as looking modern and having an overall cohesive interior design.

As for your comments Reg on the Ridge.....again taking design totally out of the equation, while I know that design is a hugely important factor and usually the most influential in getting a consumers' buy, I think in my book equally important is that the quality/construction is there. There can be debates about what makes a car credible enough, and clearly Lambdas and CTS have shown you don't have to have best in class plastics to be best in class, and that was never something I believed either. I just never relent, neither does the competition for that matter.

Getting back to the Ridge, the construction, along with materials quality, along with materials/items chosen [i.e. radio head unit, armrest, turn signals] all come together for a solid quality piece that is still ahead of Lambdas......and most GMs in my book. When you have something like a quarter inch gap between where the door panel meets the window, that is a big giant no no in my book, especially inexcusable in the CTS. That kind of poor attention to contruction still exists in GM.

Are you kidding? The Lambdas are all much better inside than the Pilot or Ridgeline. I sat in a Pilot and wondered why so many people bought such a pile. Then I realized it had a big H on the front and back.

I agree that the CTS is fab. Inviting, luxurious...these are all terms alluding to the design of the interior. My comments are not about design, but quality strictly. I have a demanding sense of what I want in my automobile, and if we're here to scrutinize what the best each company has to offer is, then I have to be objective and say the CTS' interior quality/contruction is not the best. Another point is the type of pieces used, like Reg mentioned with Japanese cars something that is always admired are the seats. Case in point, with the CTS the rear center armrest is clearly pulled from just another GM, and it has no right to be in the CTS, I don't even know if it has cupholders. Sit in an Audi to see what the rear center armrest should look like...matter of fact sit in an Audi period to see incredibly well done materials that feel substantial and of high quality, as well as looking modern and having an overall cohesive interior design.

I believe both C&D and edmunds noted that the CTS materials were above that of the Mercedes and Infiniti, but I can't say for myself because I haven't sat in any of them.

Are you kidding? The Lambdas are all much better inside than the Pilot or Ridgeline. I sat in a Pilot and wondered why so many people bought such a pile. Then I realized it had a big H on the front and back.

how dare you question my authority? :AH-HA_wink: :P

it might have been an LX model, instead of the top line, but going from my experience the current Pilot just barely edges out the Lambdas in overall materials quality. this is just my opinion. it doesn't mean there are some materials that aren't better in lambda, but overall I just think Lambda materials make the cut, they're more than par for course, but it's really a winning design inside and out that seal the deal.

Edited by turbo200

I believe both C&D and edmunds noted that the CTS materials were above that of the Mercedes and Infiniti, but I can't say for myself because I haven't sat in any of them.

from the time I spent in the G35 I thought it was a little bit better. special areas of refinement in switch operation, panel feel, overall substance. the padding on the armrest is my idea of substance. the cts looks nicer though. there was a sheen to the materials in the CTS, though, that conspired to cheapen the "look", like the fake chrome around some of the dials. MB sadly I spent no time in.