Toyota gone from bland to vomit inducing

mcseanerson

what the f@#k? is this like a joke? reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan joke about bottled water:

A bunch of CEOs are sitting in a meeting in france.. "How dumb do i think the Americans are? i bet we could make them pay for water!"

now replace them with Japanese ceos trying to get us to buy this $h!heap..

Toyo does 1920's retro... :unsure:

I must say however I do kinda like the seamless look of the greenhouse...other than that, this thing needs to be burned....repeatedly.

yeah... when you try to out do cool, you get crap like this.

but what if it had a V8 manual rwd... then what would we be saying? not a 100% serious question.

Guest aatbloke
I don't even know where to begin with this block of compressed $h! ... :nono:

That's what I thought about the ill-fated Pontiac Aztec. But the difference was the Aztec was a production car.

Guest aatbloke

Couple of quotes from the article:

"Its official: the word "coupe" no longer means anything in the automotive lexicon. Mercedes started chipping away at the definition with the CLS-Class

"Yes, coupe sounds sexier than "hatchback," a term that evokes visions of Volkswagen Golfs and Geo Metros, whereas coupe implies sporty and sexy"

Had Kirrill Ougarov (a Motor Trend poster, so enough said there) have decided to even bother thinking about (or even researching if he wasn't sure) what a coupé actually is, he'd realise that the term doesn't necessarily imply the two-door sloping rear profiled bodyshell we've become used to seeing. The word coupé is French, meaning essentially "to cut" and stems from a type of carriage which was merely cut to remove one set of seats. No sloping roofline in sight. The chopped look of this concept Scion - evoking cues from 1930's coupés such as the Ford Model A - is closer to the traditional variety of coupé than a modern hatchback. The problem is that because of the evolution of the coupé in motoring, we now firmly equate the term with that 2-door sveltely sloped profile. To this end, the Mercedes CLS defines the genre, but pushes the envelope by adding two extra doors.

Edited by aatbloke

Guest aatbloke
I liked it better when Toyota didn't try to design their cars.

Same goes for GM. What a difference between the over-designed, over-cladded and frankly, quite hideous lines of the Grand Am and Grand Prix from a decade ago to the clean forms of the G6 and G8 which exist today - although granted the latter is Australian.

Edited by aatbloke

That's what I thought about the ill-fated Pontiac Aztec. But the difference was the Aztec was a production car.

Yeah, but it's sort of like the return of platform shoes and wide legs: we know better now. The Aztec may have been ugly, but at least it was original. Honda and Toyota are just copying (read: Element) the Aztec formula of square, ugly lines. We KNOW the Aztec is ugly. The question is, do the Japanese?

"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle." - Robert Anthony

And some people just like to baffle with bull$h!.

Guest aatbloke
Yeah, but it's sort of like the return of platform shoes and wide legs: we know better now. The Aztec may have been ugly, but at least it was original. Honda and Toyota are just copying (read: Element) the Aztec formula of square, ugly lines. We KNOW the Aztec is ugly. The question is, do the Japanese?

Honda and Toyota are copying who exactly? These are two companies who are enormously successful the world over and have offered a variety of original products in market segments - the Honda HR-V and NSX, and Toyota MR2 and Yaris Versa are some which spring to mind. Their products are often not the most exciting to look at, but they are successful because they produce cars the rest of the world wants and places trust in.

This contrasts starkly with GM in North America, which has undergone a dramatic change (for the better) in North America over the past few years. Gone are the hideously overdesigned, ugly-clad machines such as the Grand Am, Bonneville and the likes. In their place has been introduced simpler, clean cut lines with obvious European design cues (G6 and Cobalt) as well as those of the Japanese (Ion) or simply import federalised versions of foreign designs in their entirety (Astra, G8). How many of the North American GM products actually sell in significant qualities outside of their home market as is the case with Honda and Japanese products? Virtually none. Only Chrysler have managed to successfully graft classic bold American styling thematics onto a modern car (PT Cruiser, Caliber, Avenger, 300C) and whatsmore, have the balls to offer them worldwide.

The Aztec was no more original than the Element or Multipla; each are boxes based on a "form follows function" approach which was originally idealised by the Germans, no less.

Edited by aatbloke

Guest aatbloke
And some people just like to baffle with bull$h!.

Such is the way of thinking of any narrow-minded brandwhore. Thankfully, like most mature, adult car enthusiasts, I have manufacturer preferences but take an appreciation of all cars which come out of the motor industry.

Guest aatbloke
Just to let you know wise(-a$$) man, the comment "Whatever" was made for the "Coupe" which Toyota calls that POS, NOT you.

So much for being matured, adult enthusiast. :rolleyes:

Grow up, and have some understanding of what a coupé originally was, and how this car is a retrospective interpretation.

Edited by aatbloke

Guest aatbloke
When will Scion fail?

Once the brand doesn't sell enough volume to adequately make a return on Toyota's capital investment in the venture.

Grow up, and have some understanding of what a coupé originally was, and how this car is a retrospective interpretation.

You grow up matured adult Sire. I have right for my opinion even if it is Wrong in your eyes. Don't force yours on me, I did not do that to you. If I was wrong in your eyes, there are better ways to put your words and explain that to me.

Guest aatbloke
You grow up matured adult Sire. I have right for my opinion even if it is Wrong in your eyes. Don't force yours on me, I did not do that to you. If I was wrong in your eyes, there are better ways to put your words and explain that to me.

There are ways in expressing lack of interest in a car or pointing out design cues you don't particularly care for in a mature fashion. Simply labelling the entire car a "POS" or "$h!box" is what you'd expect from a primary school kid. But isn't the real reason for your choice of words simply out of blind jingoism over Japanese cars?

9. WOW just WOW! I believe I'm one of there prime demographics being 26 and all and I will gladly buy a Buick compared to this or anything in the Scions lineup. How could Toyota get it so wrong?

riserburn - Posted Yesterday 04:20 PM

:rotflmao:

There are ways in expressing lack of interest in a car or pointing out design cues you don't particularly care for in a mature fashion. Simply labelling the entire car a "POS" or "$h!box" is what you'd expect from a primary school kid. But isn't the real reason for your choice of words simply out of blind jingoism over Japanese cars?

Remember, there are a lot of kiddies on this board..that's the only way they know of expressing themselves.

Honda and Toyota are copying who exactly? These are two companies who are enormously successful the world over and have offered a variety of original products in market segments - the Honda HR-V and NSX, and Toyota MR2 and Yaris Versa are some which spring to mind. Their products are often not the most exciting to look at, but they are successful because they produce cars the rest of the world wants and places trust in.

This contrasts starkly with GM in North America, which has undergone a dramatic change (for the better) in North America over the past few years. Gone are the hideously overdesigned, ugly-clad machines such as the Grand Am, Bonneville and the likes. In their place has been introduced simpler, clean cut lines with obvious European design cues (G6 and Cobalt) as well as those of the Japanese (Ion) or simply import federalised versions of foreign designs in their entirety (Astra, G8). How many of the North American GM products actually sell in significant qualities outside of their home market as is the case with Honda and Japanese products? Virtually none. Only Chrysler have managed to successfully graft classic bold American styling thematics onto a modern car (PT Cruiser, Caliber, Avenger, 300C) and whatsmore, have the balls to offer them worldwide.

The Aztec was no more original than the Element or Multipla; each are boxes based on a "form follows function" approach which was originally idealised by the Germans, no less.

You were one of those kids who read the dictionary as a child to try and make yourself sound smarter to everyone else weren't ya?

For someone who talks so much about jingoism, also know as nationalism, extreme patriotism, or excessiv bias, your tone conveys a strong sense of bias yourself. I think when we comment about how bad this looks it's not a comparison to anything or base on any branding, it's just plain fugly. If GM had made it we would have called it as such just the same.

Oh yeah and one other thing, How the hell does a caliber represent bold american styling but everything from GM in your opinion represent just copying someone else. I don't mean to imply that you don't think has any products with american styling it's just that the only models you chose to reference are ones that in your opinion are only copying other country's styling.

Guest aatbloke
You were one of those kids who read the dictionary as a child to try and make yourself sound smarter to everyone else weren't ya?

For someone who talks so much about jingoism, also know as nationalism, extreme patriotism, or excessiv bias, your tone conveys a strong sense of bias yourself. I think when we comment about how bad this looks it's not a comparison to anything or base on any branding, it's just plain fugly. If GM had made it we would have called it as such just the same.

Oh yeah and one other thing, How the hell does a caliber represent bold american styling but everything from GM in your opinion represent just copying someone else. I don't mean to imply that you don't think has any products with american styling it's just that the only models you chose to reference are ones that in your opinion are only copying other country's styling.

Bias is fine - eeveryone has bias to some degree or another - however complete lack of respect or appreciation for competitors is not. It's competition which drives higher standards in oneself, and that rule equally applies to automakers. If there were no foreign manufacturers in the United States, what incentives would there be for domestic companies to offer the general public better quality products at a reasonable price? None whatsoever.

If this concept were a GM product, I really doubt there would be such terms as "POS" or "$h!box" from the American youngsters on these boards. Is the Scion concept's styling to my tastes? No, but kudos to them for attempting something different and an interpretation of their own harking back to the coupes of yesteryear.

The Caliber - like the rest of Chrysler's products - does represent bold American styling. Few cars in the hatchback C-segment look so unique, and as such it's become quite a sought after novelty in Europe particularly, despite its Mitsubishi engineered underpinnings which aren't a bad thing either. But what does Ford and GM of North America offer elsewhere? Practically nothing outside of a few Middle Eastern and Latin American countries. When they do - with such pearlers as the Ford Explorer and Chevrolet Blazer - they get it so far wrong it's almost laughable. Why offer an SUV in a RHD market (for example the UK) in LHD only initially (Blazer) with no diesel option (Blazer and Explorer) and then wonder why they very quickly fail? Again, Chrysler at least had the sense to offer their Jeep 4x4's in markets with high fuel prices with diesels, and they've been extremely successful in doing so. Whatsmore, they also had the foresight to build several models within the EU, thus negating import duties for their customers.

As for so many other American GM and Ford products, yes they've come a long way in recent years but the designs are more in keeping with foreign competition. The Ford 500/Taurus clearly aped a 1990's Audi; the profile of the Fusion is highly reminiscent of the Mondeo, and that of the Cobalt has strong Opel overtones, particularly the 1997-03 Astra. Ford Edge? Toyota bB on steroids, mate. Maybe this is why not one of these products are offered anything like globally, unlike the Honda and Toyota products they compete against.

As for reading dictionaries - some people take an interest in languages, and some don't. My education was heavily languages-geared through to university, but that has nothing to do with liberally branding a car as a "POS" or "$h!box" which has never been seen in person, let alone driven.

Edited by aatbloke

Again you are diggressing Lord Aatbloke. I said "whatever" which did not have comments $h!box or POS on anything. You fumigated the matter by giving a statement which does not even belong to you. It was followed by condescending remarks about maturity. If those can be considered fair according to you, why is not POS - Pile of Soil what is wrong with that? Your mind is in the gutter for thinking something else.

As for your thinking about jingoism here, go and read ALL of the posts made here by most of us, not everybody has hatred for Japanese cars as your Lordly perception makes you think. Do not take a piecemeal approach and start bashing people and have a stereotypical assessment.

Guest aatbloke
Again you are diggressing Lord Aatbloke. I said "whatever" which did not have comments $h!box or POS on anything. You fumigated the matter by giving a statement which does not even belong to you. It was followed by condescending remarks about maturity. If those can be considered fair according to you, why is not POS - Pile of Soil what is wrong with that? Your mind is in the gutter for thinking something else.

As for your thinking about jingoism here, go and read ALL of the posts made here by most of us, not everybody has hatred for Japanese cars as your Lordly perception makes you think. Do not take a piecemeal approach and start bashing people and have a stereotypical assessment.

Skirting around the issue does you no favours, and personally I don't believe for a minute that your original remark was directed at the car. I didn't say that everyone on here was jingoistic - but it's clear from reading a number of threads that a significant number of posters are.

I also think it's common knowledge as to what the acronym "POS" stands for (in a derogatory sense) in popular culture so don't insult mine or anyone else's intelligence by remarking that it could mean anything else. My comments regarding maturity didn't involve childish use of expletives - just as negative views about a particular car don't have to, either. Forums are for the enjoyment of everyone, and not to be used like a school playground.

Edited by aatbloke

Skirting around the issue does you no favours, and personally I don't believe for a minute that your original remark was directed at the car. I didn't say that everyone on here was jingoistic - but it's clear from reading a number of threads that a significant number of posters are.

I also think it's common knowledge as to what the acronym "POS" stands for (in a derogatory sense) in popular culture so don't insult mine or anyone else's intelligence by remarking that it could mean anything else. My comments regarding maturity didn't involve childish use of expletives - just as negative views about a particular car don't have to, either. Forums are for the enjoyment of everyone, and not to be used like a school playground.

It is your belief. You can believe that Queen Victoria is still alive and that she rules half of the world and that you spanked Aussies 5-0 in Ashes 2007. If you have any concrete reasons or evidence to say so that my remark was directed to you, then only you can make it as a claim. Till that time comes let it be a belief, OK?

"

from the American youngsters on these boards
"

You did not use nay of the adjectives like “few” or “some” or “most” in that quote. This it self in English language means generalization, i.e. you are encompassing everybody who fits the criteria. There are bad fishes everywhere. That does not mean you should generalize them into one category and use your sophisticated berating to show off your petulance.

I agree with you that forums are for fun, and it is in lighter vein someone calls a Toyota Box as the way it looks like. For some it may look like $h!boxes, for some POS, and for some not tastefully styled. If you cannot let go these quirks of imperfections of others then you need not be on these boards, as your Lordly blood will reach hyperthermia pressures soon reading those words.

ill tell you right now if chevy rleased this same PIECE OF $h! as is, guess what, id think its a PIECE OF $h!... thats not bias... thats remarking that its an ugly heap. this is like the IQ... i personally find it disgusting.. i dont care what company puts it out...

Such is the way of thinking of any narrow-minded brandwhore. Thankfully, like most mature, adult car enthusiasts, I have manufacturer preferences but take an appreciation of all cars which come out of the motor industry.

The trouble is, you are the first person to resort to name-calling and personal attacks. I've re-read many of your posts and you've attacked several people on C&G in a very short duration here. That is no way to win an argument. You make valuable points, but your big words and haughty arrogance belies certain inadquacies. Even on the internet, people can tell when they are being 'talked down to.'

There is a reason 'American' cars and trucks don't sell outside of the Americas: we pay $3.25 a gallon; you pay $7 and more. Before WWII, the world market was largely the same, but after Europe was nearly bombed into the Dark Ages, America enjoyed a boom never before seen on this planet. Witness the excesses of the mid and late '50s American cars - all highly covetted on the world market today for their decadent excess.

Perhaps as oil reaches $150 US a barrel, America's market will become more like the rest of the world and then GM will be able to better market vehicles world-wide. For now, however, the Japanese have enjoyed an edge because their gas prices have been traditionally high, just like Europe's; therefore, the tiny tin cans that have historically sold well in Europe, sell equally well in Asia. America has been able to afford more largesse, historically speaking. That may end soon enough, but until then if we want to look in disdain at the curious square boxes from the Orient, then that is our perogative.

Guest aatbloke
It is your belief. You can believe that Queen Victoria is still alive and that she rules half of the world and that you spanked Aussies 5-0 in Ashes 2007. If you have any concrete reasons or evidence to say so that my remark was directed to you, then only you can make it as a claim. Till that time comes let it be a belief, OK?

""

You did not use nay of the adjectives like “few” or “some” or “most” in that quote. This it self in English language means generalization, i.e. you are encompassing everybody who fits the criteria. There are bad fishes everywhere. That does not mean you should generalize them into one category and use your sophisticated berating to show off your petulance.

I agree with you that forums are for fun, and it is in lighter vein someone calls a Toyota Box as the way it looks like. For some it may look like $h!boxes, for some POS, and for some not tastefully styled. If you cannot let go these quirks of imperfections of others then you need not be on these boards, as your Lordly blood will reach hyperthermia pressures soon reading those words.

I did not categorically state "everyone" - it's as simple as that, so it's your own inference which is the real issue. In addition, I do not believe for a minute you were referring to the car. My blood won't reach catastrophic pressure levels, either, though I appreciate the concern. End of chat.

I did not categorically state "everyone" - it's as simple as that, so it's your own inference which is the real issue. In addition, I do not believe for a minute you were referring to the car. My blood won't reach catastrophic pressure levels, either, though I appreciate the concern. End of chat.

You may have started it, but I will end it on My Terms.

Unlike other hard headed people I do feel about fellow human beings despite how hopelessly pathetic they are. Hence, you do not have to be thankful for my kind words.

I told you earlier you can believe whatever you want to regarding my comment.

I will repeat it again since your "high level English" could not comprehend :rolleyes: :

from the American youngsters on these boards

There is no adjective used to provide specifics of the quantity of those American youngsters (it may be abstract), which means it is generalized. I did not infer, it is what was written by you Lordship.

Guest aatbloke
The trouble is, you are the first person to resort to name-calling and personal attacks. I've re-read many of your posts and you've attacked several people on C&G in a very short duration here. That is no way to win an argument. You make valuable points, but your big words and haughty arrogance belies certain inadquacies. Even on the internet, people can tell when they are being 'talked down to.'

There is a reason 'American' cars and trucks don't sell outside of the Americas: we pay $3.25 a gallon; you pay $7 and more. Before WWII, the world market was largely the same, but after Europe was nearly bombed into the Dark Ages, America enjoyed a boom never before seen on this planet. Witness the excesses of the mid and late '50s American cars - all highly covetted on the world market today for their decadent excess.

Perhaps as oil reaches $150 US a barrel, America's market will become more like the rest of the world and then GM will be able to better market vehicles world-wide. For now, however, the Japanese have enjoyed an edge because their gas prices have been traditionally high, just like Europe's; therefore, the tiny tin cans that have historically sold well in Europe, sell equally well in Asia. America has been able to afford more largesse, historically speaking. That may end soon enough, but until then if we want to look in disdain at the curious square boxes from the Orient, then that is our perogative.

There's no name calling or personal attacks - I don't know these people. There's no haughty arrogance either - in the car world, you either know your stuff, or you don't. What I won't tolerate is unfounded criticism of any car which people haven't even seen, let alone driven. When that criticism is founded purely on the country of origin, then if you wish to discuss "inadequacies" there lies the only one featuring in people on these boards.

The reason many North American cars don't sell abroad is that they are built primarily to accommodate a very price-sensitive domestic market, and this does show up starkly in build quality. Chrysler, the one US company who do export many of their domestic models, is no exception to this long-established trend; great looking machinery with good engines with interiors which crumble to the touch and displaying vague, iffy road manners. I am not in the slightest anti-American, but when it comes to cars I am not pro-anybody either: this trend with American cars is well documented and it stands to reason economically - these are cars built to the dictates of low price points compared with those built in, and for, many other countries.

It's absolutely your prerogative to pick and choose in terms of the vehicles that you buy, but tell me this, as oil prices escalate to astronomical levels, who has the furthest to fall and suffer, and the most to change? The person who considers 50mpg to be the norm, or the person who perceives 25mpg as the be-all and end-all? Oil companies will soak up the market for as long as they can, so there's more onus on the individual to play their part in reducing global demand, regardless of the country you're in. But while some countries continue with such a flagrant attitude, the volatility in energy futures will only get worse.

Small cars do not necessarily translate into amazing fuel economy. The biggest single reason they remain so popular in Europe are overcrowded urban areas with often restricted parking resulting from infrastructures which can date back hundreds of years. Try driving anything much larger than a Mondeo around central London, for example, and you'll soon feel like you're guiding a battleship through a swimming pool. There are plenty of D-segment cars on the market capable of achieving 50mpg (US), but you have to be privy to that kind of engine technology.

As far as the Scion is concerned, I've seen many American car forums be primarily anti-Japanese - as such, I don't believe that had this car have adorned a GM badge there would have been quite the same depth of ridicule as the posts in this thread suggest. That's why I balance things out, because if the truth be told, it's only the German and Japanese car industries which remain to this day the envy of the world. As for the car itself, no car enthusiast surely can deny that this is an interesting attempt by Toyota to put their retrospective coupe spin on a small car; it isn't merely a "POS" just because it looks odd.

Guest aatbloke
You may have started it, but I will end it on My Terms.

Unlike other hard headed people I do feel about fellow human beings despite how hopelessly pathetic they are. Hence, you do not have to be thankful for my kind words.

I told you earlier you can believe whatever you want to regarding my comment.

I will repeat it again since your "high level English" could not comprehend :rolleyes: :

There is no adjective used to provide specifics of the quantity of those American youngsters (it may be abstract), which means it is generalized. I did not infer, it is what was written by you Lordship.

You're wasting your time with the "Lord" comments. But since you clearly didn't either read what I said before, or didn't simply "get it", I'll state it again:

End of Chat.

You're wasting your time with the "Lord" comments. But since you clearly didn't either read what I said before, or didn't simply "get it", I'll state it again:

End of Chat.

I guess you ran out of your wits end. I accept your defeat Lord Aatbloke. As your Captivator, I shall spare your land from my rule. :P

Guest aatbloke
I guess you ran out of your wits end. I accept your defeat Lord Aatbloke. As your Captivator, I shall spare your land from my rule. :P

Sounds like quite an achievement from the comfort of one's bedroom.

Sounds like quite an achievement from the comfort of one's bedroom.

Boredom is for the people who wish I was in one.

You are just sulking over the fact that your pompous English words learned from a rigorous curriculum could not retaliate an American Teenager who has better vocabulary than yours.