GM cars you miss seing the most

My pics of what I no longer see on the road:

1. Buick Riviera. Yeah, I know I'm the small car fan here at C&G but for some reason I've always lusted after the Riv. Almost bought a silver 65 with dual 4v carbs when I bought the 66 Mustang fastback. Used to be several running around my old home town. I also miss the later 60's design and the sweet 70's boat tail design.

Actually, I seldom see the sleek 90's version on the road either.

2. Olds Cutlass Vista Cruiser. When we were talking about the what year thing I thought about how many of these there were running around when I was a kid. Still lust after them, and if I could have GM build me anything from the past brand new, this just might be the car.

3. Flame me for this one, but 70's (second gen) Camaro's. They used to cover high school parking lots in the midwest with the same intensity that snow covers Vermont. You still see them, but they are no longer common.

My son Joel is into 70's and 80's rock, and someday I'm going to rent/borrow/steal a second gen Camaro with T- tops and cruise around all night with him listening to Led Zepplin and AC/DC...with a little Boston and Rolling Stones thrown in for good measure.

4. Buick full size convertibles. My grandfather owned a 69 (yellow with a black top and a white interior) and the woman he dated after my grandmother died drove a 70 (gold with blakc top and gold interior). I have a lot of boyhood memories of these cars and I miss seeing them.

What do you all miss the most?

Chris

Any big body on frame rear wheel drive land yacht is a welcome sight on the roads around here in the middle of riced out Honda/Acura city where I live. Older American trucks as well; I love seeing a nicely-preserved '73-'87 Chevy/GMC and even the older F-series and Dodges are growing on me as they continue to disappear. What was once not thought about at all is now becoming a treat to see.

1977-79 B bodies and C bodies...I miss my old Ninety Eight and my Delta 88 has seen better days, it has some severe rot issues at this point. Early 90's Trofeo's, always loved their styling inside and out especially with the VIC. Monte Carlo SS' and Cutlass 442's, God theres so much I miss.

My son Joel is into 70's and 80's rock, and someday I'm going to rent/borrow/steal a second gen Camaro with T- tops and cruise around all night with him listening to Led Zepplin and AC/DC...with a little Boston and Rolling Stones thrown in for good measure.

Now see I wish I had a son to do that with. No volunteers please, it's just not the same. :AH-HA_wink:

Why it's the Pontiac Custom-S of course, it's one on the rarest of the A Bodies (1968 -1972), because it was a one model year only car. :yes:

Like was said earlier, the B-body Impala SS. Actually, I liked all the B-bodies.

3rd-gen Camaro/Firebird.

Too bad there was no Corvette from my birth year... :(

Oh yeah... 66Stang, I saw a wine-colored '90s Riviera earlier.

went to a classic car auction today, had a gold 1970 riviera with a 430 4 barrel, left before it sold though, it was sweeeeet!

they had an 8.2 liter 73 elderado too. massive hehe. as far as what i miss, i just like to see cars that are 20+ years or older in general

Pretty much anything old school in the pre-1979 sense is a welcome sight....

Obviously the stuff I enjoy the most is REAR-wheel-drive, Body-On-Frame,

American designed/built/sized GM HARDTOPS, although today I was very

pleased to see a 1970 Oldsmobile two door Cutlass in pea soup green

with the 442 hood & white stripes, even if it was a 2-door SEDAN & not a

hardtop, as well as a very elegant custom '87 Buick Regal T-type that I

last saw in the same neighborhood in 1996 as a Senior in high school.

...even the occasional BMW 2002 or air-cooled VW.

I guess I'll use this thread to confess a guilty pleasure. I'd restore and perform an engine swap on one of these for the hell of it, if I had already restored the Chevelle or Camaro of my choice:

1969_opel_gt_02.jpg

I mostly liked the one I had seen last year during one of Somerset's monthly car shows they hold over the summer/early fall months. With it's mini-Vette styling and a smallblock install, it could be one really mean sewing machine! :smilewide:

But, I'll also say, after seeing it in person and in photographs, that I don't like the tall roofline on the GT. It spoils the mini-Corvette styling. I do hope it's there again this summer, however. It was sort of a treat to see.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I guess I'll use this thread to confess a guilty pleasure. I'd restore and perform an engine swap on one of these for the hell of it, if I had already restored the Chevelle or Camaro of my choice:

1969_opel_gt_02.jpg

I mostly liked the one I had seen last year during one of Somerset's monthly car shows they hold over the summer/early fall months. With it's mini-Vette styling and a smallblock install, it could be one really mean sewing machine! :smilewide:

But, I'll also say, after seeing it in person and in photographs, that I don't like the tall roofline on the GT. It spoils the mini-Corvette styling. I do hope it's there again this summer, however. It was sort of a treat to see.

Das ist Opel! :rotflmao:

Oh my stars.

Not enough time or space to list everything I miss seeing on the road ... suffice it to say, anything older.

Heck, I happened to flip through TV stations this afternoon and came upon the last few minutes of The Rockford Files ... and saw an older Ford LTD sedan ... even kinda miss seeing those around ... lol.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"There's a place for memories" ... Gary Morris ... 'Don't Look Back'

Jeez where to start. Dont see too many B-bodies in the shape my 2 are in. Not bragging just saying the truth. And also Monte Carlos from the start to the 1988 end of the RWD ones. Though the 1995-99 are starting to get rare. The 1970-1981 Camaro.

There are a surprisingly decent number of G-Body Monte Carlos in my area. I believe there is a maroon Aeroback that is being used as a daily driver here in Berea, as a matter of fact. Also, my dad has been thinking about buying a '76 A-Body Monte here as of late.

If you want to see a Monte, head to KY. :smilewide:

1989-1993 Fleetwood (Sixty Special) FWD

1988-1991 Bonneville SSE

1977-1981 Bonneville

1984-1988 Monte Carlo SS (Aero Coupe)

1986 Grand Prix Aero Coupe

1984-1987 Buick GN (GNX only saw one)

1994-1996 Impala SS

1999-2000 Escalade

1990-1991 Electra's

early 90 Toronado's

1989-1990 Turbo Grand Prix Coupes

1987-1992 Trans Am GTA's

There are a surprisingly decent number of G-Body Monte Carlos in my area. I believe there is a maroon Aeroback that is being used as a daily driver here in Berea, as a matter of fact. Also, my dad has been thinking about buying a '76 A-Body Monte here as of late.

If you want to see a Monte, head to KY. :smilewide:

Dangum ... now I really AM sorry we didn't meet up in November ... he he.

If your Dad is serious, I can keep a look out for ya....

"I know there’s so much more to life" ... Vonda Shepard ... 'Searchin' My Soul'

Dangum ... now I really AM sorry we didn't meet up in November ... he he.

If your Dad is serious, I can keep a look out for ya....

"I know there’s so much more to life" ... Vonda Shepard ... 'Searchin' My Soul'

He's giving some thought to a light-green '76 in town. It costs around four-grand and needs an interior overhaul, but is in excellent shape otherwise. I think he should buy it. I think it's a great car, and a great deal since it requires no mechanical work whatsoever and is totally rust free. The interior is in rough shape, and that's all.

He's also looking into Mustangs, as well. Whenever I hear about that particular idea, I just tell him it's his money, and if he wishes to waste it, he can. :P

Poor Astra! :(

Don't feel too down, now. It was only a sewing machine, nothing more! :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

He's giving some thought to a light-green '76 in town. It costs around four-grand and needs an interior overhaul, but is in excellent shape otherwise. I think he should buy it. I think it's a great car, and a great deal since it requires no mechanical work whatsoever and is totally rust free. The interior is in rough shape, and that's all.

He's also looking into Mustangs, as well. Whenever I hear about that particular idea, I just tell him it's his money, and if he wishes to waste it, he can. :P

Don't feel too down, now. It was only a sewing machine, nothing more! :smilewide: :AH-HA_wink:

LOL!

Well, hopefully he buys that '76 MC in town! Keep me posted, will ya? ;)

"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

LOL!

Well, hopefully he buys that '76 MC in town! Keep me posted, will ya? ;)

"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

You got it. :AH-HA_wink:

Also, since I figure that you would be the best source to ask, he wants to know how much the interior restoration would cost on that '76. I'm thinking that it would be less than a grand, but I'm not sure.

You got it. :AH-HA_wink:

SWEET!

Also, since I figure that you would be the best source to ask, he wants to know how much the interior restoration would cost on that '76. I'm thinking that it would be less than a grand, but I'm not sure.

Hmmm...that sounds low to me, but not really sure. It also depends on what all needs restoring ... and what can stay. If you want, I can Email you a link or two for places to go to inquire about parts.....

"There was something in the country that he said he couldn't leave" ... John Denver & Emmylou Harris ... 'Wild Montana Skies'

SWEET!

I think he could be pursuaded to buy it if I took him to see the car one more time. :AH-HA_wink:

Hmmm...that sounds low to me, but not really sure. It also depends on what all needs restoring ... and what can stay. If you want, I can Email you a link or two for places to go to inquire about parts.....

That would be great if you could get me that link. :) I know he said that the carpet, door panels, headliner, and dash need to be replaced. There were a few other things, as well, but I can't recall what they were exactly.

EDIT: PM me the links when you get back on, if you get to read this. Again, thanks a bunch. He really wants to know the cost. I think if he knew it, he would probably buy the car.

Pretty much any GM car prior to 1990 I miss seeing. I used to see tons of H and C-bodies at a kid...one of my aunts had an Olds 88 and another had a Buick LeSabre at the time. Same with the J-bodies, even though they weren't the greatest cars at the time I miss seeing them on the roads. Most have long rusted out. And of course the G-bodies, F-bodies, full-size yachts, etc.

I think he could be pursuaded to buy it if I took him to see the car one more time. :AH-HA_wink:

That would be great if you could get me that link. :) I know he said that the carpet, door panels, headliner, and dash need to be replaced. There were a few other things, as well, but I can't recall what they were exactly.

EDIT: PM me the links when you get back on, if you get to read this. Again, thanks a bunch. He really wants to know the cost. I think if he knew it, he would probably buy the car.

*ahem*

Sorry to be a bother. He has been asking me if you had gotten back with me for two days now. :P

YJ, I have bad news for you on that interior issue.

'73-'77 A bodies are very hard to get interior parts for since the aftermarket has largely ignored these cars.

Just an example: Though you can get a dash cover at a decent price, a full restoration of a dash will cost as much as your entire budget and NOS parts for the interior are almost non-existant. Some stuff is out there, and you can make it look decent if you dig for sources, but a real interior resto is very tough for these cars.

GO GO GO!

he he

Aye ... sorry ... hope I didn't miss on helping you out here. PM coming your way momentarily. I wasn't online Thursday because I'm still not feeling well. Sis got the flu and Mom now has it, too. Dangumit.

*knocks on wood*

So far, so good for me, but given my health situation, I'd be willing to bet it won't be long now :(.

"Father Time still takes a toll on every minute that you save" ... Clint Black ... 'No Time To Kill'

GO GO GO!

he he

I'm really hoping he gets this car. I drove by it today and it is a really sharp ride. 8)

Aye ... sorry ... hope I didn't miss on helping you out here. PM coming your way momentarily. I wasn't online Thursday because I'm still not feeling well. Sis got the flu and Mom now has it, too. Dangumit.

*knocks on wood*

So far, so good for me, but given my health situation, I'd be willing to bet it won't be long now :(.

"Father Time still takes a toll on every minute that you save" ... Clint Black ... 'No Time To Kill'

Hey, it's alright. I totally understand. Please get to feeling better soon! :)

YJ, I have bad news for you on that interior issue.

'73-'77 A bodies are very hard to get interior parts for since the aftermarket has largely ignored these cars.

Just an example: Though you can get a dash cover at a decent price, a full restoration of a dash will cost as much as your entire budget and NOS parts for the interior are almost non-existant. Some stuff is out there, and you can make it look decent if you dig for sources, but a real interior resto is very tough for these cars.

Hmm, that is disappointing. I guess all is not lost because, according to my dad, the car really doesn't need a full-blown interior restoration; the complete list of items needing to replaced is the upper dash cap, all of the knobs, door panels, seats, and carpet. I know the fact that the car has the green interior option doesn't help, however, as if you had the black interior instead.

I don't think the total could be too much, maybe not inexpensive, no, but not an asinine sum that my dad would not be willing to spend. And the items I mentioned are really all the car needs, as the rest of it is solid and mechanically sound. I think my dad could be willing to make the investment.

I'm really hoping he gets this car. I drove by it today and it is a really sharp ride. 8)

Dangumit. You owe me pics!

Hey, it's alright. I totally understand. Please get to feeling better soon! :)

Good ... glad you understand. I hate disappointing people!

And, so far so good....was out a bit today and feel OK. But, with many people I know with the flu ... I'm guessing my day is coming :(.

"This is the story of us all" ... The Last Goodnight ... 'Pictures Of You'

Damn@ this post being limited to GMs ONLY.

What I miss the most are the H-bodies, because they are so gone, Monica's song could be used for a missing ad. Used to be a bagillion Vegas, Monzas, Skyhawks, and Sunbirds on the road out here. Starfire/Firenza was never that common to begin with. They all would make great drift cars.

Can't remember the last time I've seen the Buick-Opel.

I kind of miss the Fiero. Hard pressed to find one out here because people mostly only care for used cars they can throw kids or their little friends in.

Would be beautiful to see more of these:

2312957_1_full.jpg

Or the LeMans, Cutlass...any of the cars with this greenhouse (or the opera window version)

There's a possibility you can find a supplier in the pages of Low Rider magazine, since a lot of the cars features are that generation of Monte Carlo, Cultlass Supreme, or Regal.

But you're right, since those cars didn't look dragstrip friendly or have the performance they care for, the usual suppliers could give two turds about the plight of those owners.

But it's funny seeing what the lot of you have named...in this town, between good old fashioned hood culture and not having rock-salted winters snacking on cars like termites, most GMs are still pretty easy to find (way more common than their Ford and especially Mopar and AMC counterparts). Just hard to catch the owners ready to part with them.