So, smoking

It's not fair I should suffer because someone else has a bad habit.

While I sympathize with you......there are a gazillion "bad habits" out there, besides smoking, that tend to impact peoples' lives.

I have smoked before......but I love how California has approached smoking......that it's illegal inside any public place. And the funny thing is.....here, smokers really don't bitch about going outside the bar or restaurant to have a smoke.

Even smokers appreciate not having their clothes/hair smell all like smoke.

Banning it from ANY public place, however, is I think going a bit too far.....or else I'm going to suggest banning people with bad B/O....or with poor eating habits in restaurants.....or banning buzzed/drunk people from bars.....etc, etc. You can only take it so far. I'd have to say....if you have a problem with people smoking outside, it's easy enough to avoid them.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to smoke.....haven't during the last three weeks.

I was the kind of smoker that would smoke pretty regulary......but it was habitual for me......when I was drinking, first thing in the morning when I was having coffee, or when I was stressed.

However, I'd go away on a business trip, or my parents would come visit.....and I could stop smoking on a dime and not even have the urge to light up. That's what is really wierd.

I think my smoking habit is more habitual than nicotine-addicted........I haven't smoked at all the last three weeks while Joe has been here.....nor have I had any urge.

I'd say at my height, I was smoking a pack every three or four days or so......

2 packs a day - everyday

I think it has to end.

:nono: Sorry to hear about those of you addicted, I have lost way to many friends and family who decided smoking was the cool thing and they all died young. I will never do it, no need to start and expensive smelly habit.

Funny thing is, my boss is an ex-smoker and they are more rude to smokers than anyone I know. 2 people in our office building smoke like crazy and even if they are not in the elevator with you, you can immediatly tell that they had been moments before as they leave such a strong offensive smell. I would have to say they smell like an ashtray probably smells.

Happy that Washington State has gone smoke free in all public places. Makes going out for the night fun as the bars are clean and seem fuller than before.

Hmm, actually heavy-handed legislation is the only thing that makes me want to keep smoking.

That kind of thing tends to get my Irish up.

Camino LS6 I can understand and respect getting your Irish up, but I would think there are better things to get up about than smoking. Too much evidence as to how bad it is for people. I would rather have every one around to debate on auto's, engines and track times than smoking.

Here's to you :cheers: some day kicking the habit and picking up a new one. :D

I hear Chevelle smoking is good....

I've owned two Chevelles, and they both loved to smoke like that.

I bought a rusty Ford Ranger from a friend for next to nothing so he could move to Florida, and it smoked in a whole different way...

Chris

I have a couple smokes now and then mostly because it relives stress.

I never smoke inside my cars or house in public places, Mostly outside next my favorite tree or by lakes and such.

2 packs a day - everyday

I think it has to end.

OMFG I feel sorry for you. My father had to quit for medical reasons, he quit when I was in high school. For the next ten years, every time we sat at a stop light his fingers would tremble and he would shake and get cold chills...to be followed by the inevitable "God I want a damned Cig....."

Keep us posted, seriously...and good luck to you sir. You have my respect.

Chris

I don't smoke, I probably don't have the genes to do it and live past forty. My grandfather died of lung cancer, and he didn't smoke, though his office was right above a bus stop, and he likely got it from diesel exhaust. Diesel particulate matter is hugely carcinogenic.

I avoid cigarettes, on the basis it's nothing more than a "nicotine delivery system."

OMFG I feel sorry for you. My father had to quit for medical reasons, he quit when I was in high school. For the next ten years, every time we sat at a stop light his fingers would tremble and he would shake and get cold chills...to be followed by the inevitable "God I want a damned Cig....."

Keep us posted, seriously...and good luck to you sir. You have my respect.

Chris

I haven't earned any respect yet, I'm just in the "considering it strongly" mode so far.

BTW: I haven't smoked in my cars since '87.

I haven't earned any respect yet, I'm just in the "considering it strongly" mode so far.

BTW: I haven't smoked in my cars since '87.

Agreed. I would never smoke in a car. That $h! smells foul, after it's marinated in there on a hot summer day, and the film on the windows/windshield...yuck.

I kind of want to quit, mostly for the money and it's a hassle. But, my hubby refuses to even consider it, he says he likes to smoke and isn't ready. His health is far worse than mine I think, and I want us to do it together. It would be much much harder for me to quit while he sat here lighting up.

If you want to quit, do it. I'm guessing being around your "hubby" will make it harder, but you shouldn't need to resort to peer pressure to quit at the same time. just my $.02

I don't smoke. My body is a temple, plus I like having control over my body, not my body over me. :smilewide:

in this temple of yours is a "bleeding holden" statue? LOL or just your catholic upbringing coming through...

I know I will piss some of you off, but I think it should be illegal to smoke ANYWHERE in public that someone else might have to smell it. I've gotten migraines from people driving down the road with their windows open while smoking. It's not fair I should suffer because someone else has a bad habit.

I have to disagree, but that would make "public" a much nicer area to enjoy. I would rather have litterers fully prosecuted. there's litter all around doors and such at my college, only some of it is from overfilled "receptacles", and i think "security" there is useless. there was a poll on my college's website about having more restriction, i said no to most of the questions. the sad thing is, i think, there's a "smoking room" in a dorm. smoking shouldn't be illegal, it should just be shunned, but i think it mostly is.

I've never smoked. I'm tall and thin, I've had 3 cases of collapsed lung for whatever reason, had big surgery on my left side. smoking would not be a good idea for me. I don't like to stay in areas that are smoky for long. and the only time i can recall a smoker being very nice about it was at a franz ferdinand concert in st louis. she asked if it would bother me, I said no, and she tried to keep from blowing it my way.

the only time i can recall a smoker being very nice about it was at a franz ferdinand concert in st louis. she asked if it would bother me, I said no, and she tried to keep from blowing it my way.

I do that too. My habit should not be anyone else's habit unless they choose to.

Hey Lamar, could you sing solo for us? :AH-HA_wink:

I'll see what I can do.

Stevie Nicks has quite a voice :AH-HA_wink:

In an effort to do something about my ignorance, I Youtube'd Stevie Nicks to hear the voice. I'm not altogether impressed, but that's because it's not my style.

Smoke cigars only here. About one per week.

I actually love cigars. The allergy lies primarily in my throat, so cigars are perfect!

Oh, and hey hon. How's it going?

Edited by jcgable

Well, I've got one cigarette left.

I'm not running out for more tonight, so I think I'll just smoke it and wake up without any.

I'll see where that leads me, and how long I can put -off buying more.

If my posts are extra grouchy and less coherent tomorrow, you'll know why.

I'll see what I can do.

In an effort to do something about my ignorance, I Youtube'd Stevie Nicks to hear the voice. I'm not altogether impressed, but that's because it's not my style.

:o Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac fame??

Sidenote: one of my Fraternity brothers' mother handles the accounting for them, so they always get VIP tickets to Stevie/Fleetwood shows. How cool is that?

Well, I've got one cigarette left.

I'm not running out for more tonight, so I think I'll just smoke it and wake up without any.

I'll see where that leads me, and how long I can put -off buying more.

If my posts are extra grouchy and less coherent tomorrow, you'll know why.

*puts helmet on*

Ok, ready...

I'm so glad I never picked up that habit. My brother has repeated tried to quit but something always happens to stress him out and he starts again.

My mom has bad asthma which is one of the reasons I stayed away from smoking. Another was the cost.

I do believe that smokers have been treated like pariahs in the last couple of decades. And to me its pure BS. Look we all have our bad habits and some are worse than others. Most smokers know the effects of what they do, and many are very willing to be considerate. Treating someone who smokes like a criminal just creates barriers.

Everyone who is considering to try or now trying to quit, you have my admiration. Its tough. Breaking any habit or addiction is. As for those who aren't quitting, as long as you don't blow it in my face, we're cool.

:o Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac fame??

Sidenote: one of my Fraternity brothers' mother handles the accounting for them, so they always get VIP tickets to Stevie/Fleetwood shows. How cool is that?

:::shrug::: Fleetwood Mac was never my thing. I have an aunt that probably likes/liked them though.

That's what's up though about your frat brother's mother. How often do you make use of your connections? :P

I actually love cigars. The allergy lies primarily in my throat, so cigars are perfect!

Oh, and hey hon. How's it going?

The site of you smoking a cigar would bring out my daddy bear instincts JC. <evil grin>

It's going good. If I get down to the SW. I'll let ya know and we can go smoke a gar together.

I'm so glad I never picked up that habit. My brother has repeated tried to quit but something always happens to stress him out and he starts again.

My mom has bad asthma which is one of the reasons I stayed away from smoking. Another was the cost.

I do believe that smokers have been treated like pariahs in the last couple of decades. And to me its pure BS. Look we all have our bad habits and some are worse than others. Most smokers know the effects of what they do, and many are very willing to be considerate. Treating someone who smokes like a criminal just creates barriers.

Everyone who is considering to try or now trying to quit, you have my admiration. Its tough. Breaking any habit or addiction is. As for those who aren't quitting, as long as you don't blow it in my face, we're cool.

Thanks for saying this, the overblown hysteria just gets on my nerves.

Made it to noon without a smoke, and did it under heavy stress of other sorts. Makes me think I may succeed if I really do go for the big quit.

We shall see.

• 9 months later...

Never got into smoking...though for years, I've had one ciggy a year on my birthday..started that tradition in college. I'd also occasionally have a cig when out with friends getting drunk at the pub. Tried the scotch and cigar thing for a little while in the late '90s. Smoking and drinking was always a very social thing to me, don't really do either alone.

About to light another one right now...

Me to.....

Since working at the dealership, the habit has kicked up a bit.....I smoke a pack about every two days.

That being said, I see that I can still stop on a dime.....when I want to.....like when my parents were in town for Xmas, and like when Joe (the BF) came to spend two weeks with me....

It's so wierd.....because I'll stop cold-turkey.....but I don't experience any physical withdrawel symptoms.....I don't shake, get irritable, no headaches, not any of that stuff.

I sometimes miss it habitually, but when given a reason to quit (I never smoke around the BF) I can do it very easily.....

SO.....if I don't experience nicotine physical withdrawel symptoms, why can't I kick the mental/habitual part of it? LOL

Maybe it's like Croc said a while back.....maybe it's just that I enjoy it.....

Me to.....

Since working at the dealership, the habit has kicked up a bit.....I smoke a pack about every two days.

That being said, I see that I can still stop on a dime.....when I want to.....like when my parents were in town for Xmas, and like when Joe (the BF) came to spend two weeks with me....

It's so wierd.....because I'll stop cold-turkey.....but I don't experience any physical withdrawel symptoms.....I don't shake, get irritable, no headaches, not any of that stuff.

I sometimes miss it habitually, but when given a reason to quit (I never smoke around the BF) I can do it very easily.....

SO.....if I don't experience nicotine physical withdrawel symptoms, why can't I kick the mental/habitual part of it? LOL

Maybe it's like Croc said a while back.....maybe it's just that I enjoy it.....

Be careful.

I guarantee that this ability of yours will eventually desert you.

My mother tried unsuccessfully to quit a few times before it finally stuck. She made it her new year's resolution about 13 years ago and for whatever reason it worked. No patch, no gum, nothing; cold turkey. I'm very proud of her.

My father had a heart attack at 42 which forced him to quit. Even though that's what it took, I'm still proud of him too.

Be careful.

I guarantee that this ability of yours will eventually desert you.

Word to this. For the first few years I could stop whenever I wanted to. Now...not so much. I have to be VERY OCCUPIED to be able to ignore/not feel the withdrawel symptoms when I'm around non-smokers all day long. But when by myself at the end of the day...I just NEED ONE NOW. It's sick.

It's very hard to quit....

My dad smoked for years. Every time he would lay them down, something with his job would stress him out and he'd pick them back up. (80 hours a week, no help and peoples lives depending on you will do that)

I'm currently (unsuccessfully) trying to kick my soft drink habit, so I can somewhat relate.

I have a lot of OCD characteristics in my personality and because of that, I look to certain things for COMFORT when reality ain't so good. (News flash (to me): OCD characteristics mean that things have to be perfect and NOTHING is ever perfect. Therefore, I must be "comforted" constantly)

I drink WAY too many soft drinks and eat WAY to many sweets and that has to stop. I'm not going to say how many. (Partially because I don't want to be judged and partially because I don't want to face THE SAME reality that makes me poison myself on a daily basis... An imperfection)

I've put a lot of thought into it and other addictions. My best friend is a raging alcoholic and shares A LOT of the same personality traits as me. I've contemplated the words "slow suicide" and at one point, I almost came to accept and rationalize that. "Yeah, maybe I am committing slow suicide, but what does it matter, life by-in-large sucks anyway and EVERYONE must have their crutch" But then I realized how hopeless that train of thought was and have since stop thinking about it in terms of a rational choice.

I've had this problem before too. Back in the darker days of my life I had a really bad liquor habit. I'd come home from school or work and start hitting the bottle. Luckily, I caught that one before it spun completely out of control and put an end to it. And that's one of the reasons, to this day, that I will RARELY drink more than a couple of shots when I go out.

Oh well, sorry to ramble, but hopefully it makes you guys feel like you're not alone, even if it is from a different perspective.

As a part of Relay For Life, we promote NC Quitline very heavily. A lot of people say that it works and has helped them kick the habit. I know you guys are not in NC, but FWIW: http://www.quitlinenc.com/

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM