Buick Lucerne real world pictures

Polish_Kris

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks PK. The Lucerne really has a striking side profile, and your pics prove once and for all that the grille is chrome in the center, not black.

Whoo Hoo! Thanks PK. FINALLY! A picture of a benchseat Lucerne with cloth interior. Looks good. If this is entry level at $27k, then LeSabre owners will be VERY pleased. It doesn't look cheap at all. And yep, that's a chrome grille alright. Yes! The Lucerne looks great. BV, I actually like the side profile shot. PK, what was your opinion after seeing it in person?

The CX looks horrible, IMO... its just a formless blob of car. Only the CXS with its 18" wheels and maybe the CXL look decent. This is one of those rare instances where GM photography looks better than "real-world" photography. The tan/black interior looks promising, though.

Wow... it looks absolutely horrible to me. Especially the side profile. Ugh... :blink:

I found this pic to be interesting, though:
Posted Image

[post="33412"][/post]

looks like a bug :rolleyes: - the solstice

if the images dont work for you go here to my hosting:

http://www.everactivecomputers.com/lucerne/

all images are property of their respective owners. Edited by zoomtm

Wow, it really hit me when I saw the cloth seats with the column mounted shifter. They can't let it go... it's amazing me to though, because the gerital argument just doesn't hold water for me. The Avalon is an old person's dream, and I've never seen one without a floor mounted shifter. I guess Buick feels the need to give the elderly a choice, but Toyota doesn't seem to feel the need to. I hate the looks of the silver one, yet the charcoal gray looks really good to me. Go figure. :huh: Edited by titan

looks like a bug :rolleyes: - the solstice

:D ...Aw, don't you like that I dissed the Lucerne, then posted a pic of a Solstice I found since I had to copy and paste the links before PK changed them to photos and accidently started looking at more than just the Lucerne? And don't you like that awesome run-on sentence? :lol: :P

Actually, it does look like a bug in that pic. It's not very flattering.

Anyways, more on the Lucerne. The side profile is just as bad as the Monte Carlo's. An oversized rear overhang with a greenhouse that is far too forward. Ugh, ugh, ugh, and ugh. Disgusting. The lower front fascia is horrible. "Can't I get the same thing on a Cobalt?" Yeah... Overall, it's like someone just took a bunch styling cues and threw them onto a blob and created the Lucerne. Blobity blobby blob... Ugh. Disgusting. The chrome grill and interior look nice, though.

That's a little harsh.  Remember, beauty's in the eye of the beholder, and looks are subjective.

I think it's a clean, conservative design, but change the grille, remove the badges and ventiports, and you would never know it was a Buick....the styling doesn't say Buick at all...I see some Lexus in the headlights, new VW Passat in the roofline and tail, etc...

the solstice is okay...but im pretty sure the Sky will sell better.

Most likely... if it wasn't for it's higher price and limited dealer network, that is. That's too bad since the Sky looks alot better to most people. If the Solstice would get a minor refresh with what I specified in the that thread in the Pontiac section, I think that would change that. As it is, you can tell the Solstice and Lucerne came from the same company. As with a ton of other GM vehicles. These are not flattering simularities, btw. But what do you expect - It's typical GM.

BENCH SEATS LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're right I doesn't look at all like the fabulous car I saw on the platform at the auto show this year that many were gawking at. still, it looks nice, but it looks like the interior will ruin it, judging by those photos. Edited by regfootball

Zoom... That's Pk's car... :P

[post="33702"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

LoL, and it's just as rare as seeing a Lucerine right now, it's a 5 speed, very rare lol, ya but it does stick out like a sore thumb, and the hubcaps, I took them off because in a mall parking lot, it doesnt stick out, so I took the hubcaps off to find my OWN car lol.

HOW?!? How will the interior ruin the lucerne strictly based on these photos????  :blink:

[post="33706"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

cheap seat cloth unattractive horizontal dash look with bench seats cheap steering wheel pushrod engine

it won't ruin the car, but for god's sake it looks really bad in this configuration. the seats look like bad slumberland sofas.

cheap seat cloth  unattractive horizontal dash look with bench seats cheap steering wheel pushrod engine

it won't ruin the car, but for god's sake it looks really bad in this configuration.  the seats look like bad slumberland sofas.

[post="34095"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Most of the base models with cloth benches will probably go to Avis, I suspect.

cheap seat cloth  unattractive horizontal dash look with bench seats cheap steering wheel pushrod engine

it won't ruin the car, but for god's sake it looks really bad in this configuration.  the seats look like bad slumberland sofas.

[post="34095"][/post]

1) How can you tell its cheap cloth in the picture?

2) How is the horizontal dash look unattractive with benchseats, yet its been attractive in almost EVERY Buick for decades

3) The steering wheel is not cheap looking... The 4-spoke Malibu's was... not the Lucerne's

4) Remember where the benchseat buyers are coming from. I can't see how you think the Lucerne's interior will turn them off (along with the 3800 comment):

Buick LeSabre Custom:
Posted Image

compared to PK's pic:

Posted Image

Well, the Lucerne's interior is light years ahead of the LeSabre and even Park Avenue's. It's just so much warmer, richer, inviting, and of a higher quality. I honestly think the CX trim doesn't look bad... the chrome grille looks great. Yes, the wheels look a little small--I would have gone with 17" aluminum standard on the CX and CXL with option 18's on the CXL and standard on the CXS. But then again, I would have changed a bunch of things for the Lucerne--standard auto climate control. 3.6L base engine, etc.

Do you think the chrome grill is for the V6 models and the blacked out grill is for the V8 models (or CXS anyway)? Also, did you notice that the back end of the dark grey one is missing the chrome strip along the trunk edge? I wonder if that chrome strip is for CXS or V8 models only. I like the blue/shale interior. How can you tell if the cloth is cheap by that pic?

Do you think the chrome grill is for the V6 models and the blacked out grill is for the V8 models (or CXS anyway)?

Also, did you notice that the back end of the dark grey one is missing the chrome strip along the trunk edge?  I wonder if that chrome strip is for CXS or V8 models only.

I like the blue/shale interior.  How can you tell if the cloth is cheap by that pic?

[post="34149"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good eye Tailfin... I didn't notice it at all. I would hope it'd be standard on all models--it looks like a nice touch.

Good observation... I thought it looked like it was missing something:

Posted Image

I don't know... my reactions to the Lucerne are mixed. On one hand, it looks like a modern car with a proper interior.. it also has competitive pricing and substance, but on the other, its bland and sterile.

Everybody will have their opinions, and there shouldn't be a problem expressing them. Buicks should have presence. The first car I knew was my dad's '66 LeSabre. It was huge, and it was a Buick through and through. If it weren't for the portholes (ok, ventiports) and Velite-inspired grille, there's nothing about the Lucerne that says Buick. It is vastly more attractive than the outgoing LeSabre, and that should help widen its pool of potential buyers, but I don't think many people are going to feel passionate about it.

The CX looks horrible, IMO... its just a formless blob of car. Only the CXS with its 18" wheels and maybe the CXL look decent. This is one of those rare instances where GM photography looks better than "real-world" photography. The tan/black interior looks promising, though.

[post="33432"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree... That lower nose is GOD AWFUL, the wheels are too small and the profile is watered down and reminds me of an old 300. Buick concepts had the BEST styling in General Motors, what the hell happened?!?!?!?! It's such a let down. But, some pics of the Lucerne seem to look good and the chrome grille looks a lot better, so hopefully it's better in person.

Looks nice and I actually think the base cloth bench seat interior looks great, especially compared to the awful look and quality of everything inside the latest LeSabre. Really like that gray CXL too. Problem is, still, the front end is just miserable. From most angles, looks like a relatively svelt, refined, and luxurious piece until you see the front--WTF? Is there a reason, yet, why this thing had to get such a bland, "trucky" nose? Hate to say it, but it kinda has a "down syndrome" look to it :huh: Take EVERYTHING about this car as it currently is, ditch the 3.8 in favor of the 3.6 and give it a new nose identical to the Velite concept, and it would be nearly PERFECT (well, except for the FWD thing, but that's just me...) Edited by caddycruiser

I have yet to see a Lucerne-I've passed by the local Buick-GMC dealer lately and I still have not seen a single Lucerne. And in the Cobalt-Solstice-Torrent-Lucerne package I've been waiting for and finally receieved yesterday (real, full brochures, no half-hearted fact sheets), only the Lucerne was still the teaser. That just puts this Buick barely ahead of the tiny, non-informational promos I've been receiving for the Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr. I want to see the Lucerne do well, but its not even remotely what I think of when I think of/want to see Buick, and it seems to have a lot of factors working against it. And if the $22,000-28,000 Chevy Impala has real cloth upholstery, the Lucerne better have real cloth as well-velour actually for that price.

I think it's a clean, conservative design, but change the grille, remove the badges and ventiports, and you would never know it was a Buick....the styling doesn't say Buick at all...I see some Lexus in the headlights, new VW Passat in the roofline and tail, etc...

[post="33644"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Good Point. I see Infinity's Q45 headlamps. Edited by titan

[post="34095"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There's no way of telling the quality of the clotch seats. I was commenting on the configuration. I don't like that they're still employing the bench at all, but the dash and layout looks top notch, to me. Don't get me started on the pushrod... I think seeing the car in person will be more telling.

Wow, it really hit me when I saw the cloth seats with the column mounted shifter. They can't let it go...  it's amazing me to though, because the gerital argument just doesn't hold water for me.  The Avalon is an old person's dream, and I've never seen one without a floor mounted shifter.  I guess Buick feels the need to give the elderly a choice, but Toyota doesn't seem to feel the need to.  I hate the looks of the silver one, yet the charcoal gray looks really good to me. Go figure.  :huh:

[post="33625"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've been fighting this battle forever too.....GM is the only holdout to cars with column shifters and bench seats. All it does it use up development costs to engineer the different seating parts and steering column parts and shifter parts when you'd save money doing only ONE configuration. Plus, it's hard to engineer proper steering-column stalks on the right side when you have a shifter jutting in the way....

I know there are some people on here that prefer column shifters but if you look at the market, they are in a HUGE minority.

If Ford, or Chrysler, or one of the imports were still offering this alternative, and people were buying it, you could put together a business case for me to develop it in a new car like LaCrosse, Impala, or Lucerne. BUT, the business case is simply not there, compared to what IS selling in the marketplace. (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car don't count in my mind......they are old designs that have had column shifters for decades.....and certainly are not selling RETAIL in any big volumes at all.)

Ford didn't do it in the new 500/Montego......Chrysler didn't do it in the new LX cars.....Toyota even did away with it in the new Avalon......

To me, the downsides are the image such features give the car in the overall marketplace (like why whitewalls and vinyl roofs have gone away.) We WANT import owners to be attracted to this car and the reality is, the Buick dealers will probably (unfortunately) stock way more bench-seat CXs than they will CXS models.....at least that's what our Buick dealers out here do with LaCrosse.

I think that's a bigger downside than the upside of the very few GM/Buick fans in the marketplace that actually prefer a bench seat/column shifter.