Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
01Malibu

next Cobalt?

51 posts in this topic

Focus is doing better with fresher styling. I plan to do some googling to find any spy photos of the next Cobalt.

There's not that much wrong with Cobalt that a significantly better interior wouldn't fix....! Even the "new" Focus' interior is seemingly light-years ahead in style, design, and material fit-and-finish (and it's still not class-leading IMHO.)

Little Cobalt Sport models that are running around SoCal as rentals have some pretty decent eye-appeal......and there's never been anything wrong with the Ecotec engines.....it's just it's bottom-of-the-barrel interior that kills it (for me....)

Before the bitching starts, there is a new Cobalt next year :AH-HA_wink: . BTW, the new Cobalt is global as well.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

Actually the Chasis of the Cobalt is just fabulous IMHO. The car handles very, very well in some ways.

It's not a bad looking car either.

I'd buy one before I'd buy a Focus...

Chris

Before the bitching starts, there is a new Cobalt next year :AH-HA_wink: . BTW, the new Cobalt is global as well.

Really? I hadn't heard anything on the subject...

Here is the problem guys the Cobalt right now is a really good car. But it looks just like the old car. The SS is the performance buy of the decade right now but until the next gen come in the unwashed non GM people will over look this car.

The new Focus does very poor in the comparo test and most panned it styling. What it is offering is not performance or styling but economy. Not just in the fuel milage area but in a great number of features along with a cheap price. Lets face it this is the car you buy your girl when she gets her drivers permit in high school and she drives it off to collage.

In this market Price is everything and the value is balanced with the features offered.

GM needs to offer the next Gen Cobalt with a lot of featured in a basic mechnical package to keep the price down.

This is the formula Hyundia has ridden to great growth on several market levels. This is the key to Chvevys future as a Value leader. They are doing this with the Malibu and HHR now. So I expect the CObalt package will improve as it is upgraded.

GM could use an answer to sync as well. I'm sure that's a big pushing point for the otherwise underwhelming Focus.

The Focus is an eyesore, but the people I know tht have them love the way they handle.

OC's not entirely bluffing about the Cobalt interior. Its overall design is nice and vintage Chevy, but some of the parts used could stand to be more substantial, as I've had a few pieces replaced under warranty - probably more than I should have (although it's important to note that my car is a first year '05 and that GM has since fixed a lot of the problems with said parts in subsequent model years). A decent sized storage bin in the center console would be most welcome. Why they went with the tiny armrest/console is a mystery. Good thing I normally don't carry much in my car anyway.

Still, none of this is stopping me from entertaining moving "up" to a turbo SS sedan when it comes out.

It needs to be one to be class-leading or even competitive.

The Cobalt's biggest shortcoming is the interior. It's cheap and brittle and makes the Caliber's interior feel nice by comparison. The design is alright but you're constantly reminded anytime you touch anything that this is a cheap car. The next issue for me is the electric steering. I just don't like the way it feels, but most people will never know or care and I could live with it in a non=performance model.

I think cavalier36 said it starts production at Lordstown in summer 2010. The spyshots make it look very very dull indeed.

I think cavalier36 said it starts production at Lordstown in summer 2010. The spyshots make it look very very dull indeed.

Spyshots?

And it is not being built in Lordstown.....it will be made in Mexico.....

It needs to be one to be class-leading or even competitive.

Agreed. :yes:

With small cars becoming big-it is going to be quite important...

That looks like a Hyundai Sonata.

That looks like a Hyundai Sonata.

I was thinking that too...

That pic screams Korean...

On one of the local Youngstown TV stations saying that Lordstown has the Cobalt. But what one of the stations was saying that it will be getting a new name. Also they had a spy video of the car but this was on the o’clock news and is not on there website yet. It was also on one of the other local website http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=8287412 here. The video looked like a car a little smaller then the cobalt of today. This also maybe the Gamma format and a completely different car.

On one of the local Youngstown TV stations saying that Lordstown has the Cobalt. But what one of the stations was saying that it will be getting a new name. Also they had a spy video of the car but this was on the o’clock news and is not on there website yet. It was also on one of the other local website http://www.wfmj.com/Global/story.asp?S=8287412 here. The video looked like a car a little smaller then the cobalt of today. This also maybe the Gamma format and a completely different car.

Nope.

The Balt is being built in Mexico...the same plant that built the Cavalier and Sunfire for Canada.....

You guys get the new Aveo/new Pontiac model (maybe) and two new Gamma Models....

That pic screams Korean...

GMDAT is doing a lot of the engineering. So that's not surprising.

I actually think it looks pretty good. I think with some bigger wheels and everything uncovered, and in a less bland color, it could look pretty decent.

I totally agree about the current Cobalt's interior. My daily driver is the basest of the base 2006 LS and the really cheap seat fabric drives me crazy. Overall, the interior actually works fine and I don't care about the hard plastic dash, since caressing the dash isn't really one of my passtimes, but better seat fabric and door panels would be welcome. I know that the LT and LTZ get the "sport cloth" but it's not really much better. What happened to the decent cloth of the 90s and before? My 2002 Cavalier had much nicer seat fabric.

Now, on the flip side, I think that the car rides and drives fine, it averages 31 MPG in my driving cycle, its screwed together pretty well even if the materials are cheap, and I think it looks good on the outside other than the wheelcovers by Wham-O! I would definitely consider another Cobalt if they upgrade the interior a bit on all models. And get some fascia spoke wheels like Malibu has for the cheapies without alloys.

hopefully the SS will at least have a good 6speed auto to offer for those lame people that need it. lol

All spy shots in this thread are of the same car. :AH-HA_wink:

Anti-sentiments about GMI set aside here, GMI's Cobalt sedan from their "Revitalization In Action" project actually is close in some details in regard to some of the side sculpting on the upper portion of the car and a very small number of other details. Look at the spy shots in the link Toni posted and you will see what I mean.

detail_cobalt_sedan.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0