Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Satty

Parents are car shopping

51 posts in this topic

Since my mom got the boot from England (visa issues) she's back home and the 'rents have only one viable, working vehicle, the L200. I'm not entirely sure where the Sebring is, last I heard it was pretty well dead. Maybe they'll let me park it somewhere and charge people $5 to hit it with a baseball bat, since thats what the POS deserves. Anyways, since mom couldn't bring her Opel back from the UK, they're going to need another car. She wanted a Prius, but they're not going to have the cash to put up front like we did, and they probably wont be willing to jump through the ridiculous hoops we did. She was quite intrigued by the Rabbit, until she drove it and complained it was too slow. I tried getting her into a New Beetle convertible, but it had the same sluggishness. That sucks because I miss having a convertible that I could use from time to time. I'm thinking I'll point her towards the Astra, Focus and Civic.

If she loved her Opel, well, you know which GM division to send her to. I would suggest there first. Then the Honda dealership to look at the Civic.

If she loved her Opel, well, you know which GM division to send her to.

:yes:

A bit odd, complaining that the 170 hp Rabbit is too slow... yet wanting to purchase a Prius.:blink:

Of the three you list, I'd recommend Focus first, then Civic.

The Prius is surprisingly peppy. The more I think about it, the more the Focus makes sense.

no hondas please. or i'll have a FIT.

rabbit will be faster than the astra.

why not a cobalt SS turbo? ;)

how bout like a used 9-3 210hp 4 popper?

Shopping for a Civic on a GM fansite. How the irony is lost on so many people. :banghead:

Well the Cobalt is very inexpensive to own, and a 2LT sedan with leather and chrome package is a nice looking car in darker colors.

The Cobalt is really far behind the competition. The Civic may be $3k more expensive, but its worth it.

Yeah the Cobalt is a good option if you're looking at Fit money, but not Civic money.

Does she like to drive a manual transmission? Show her a Focus SES sedan with 5 speed.

Until she got the L200 in 2001, every car she'd owned was a stick, her Opel was a stick, so thats no prob. I'm going to try to get her into a Focus.

Shopping for a Civic on a GM fansite. How the irony is lost on so many people. :banghead:

What do you expect when the Civic is clearly the better car?

Not a big Civic fan but the Cobalt does look dated beside it, plus Honda manual trannies have always been excellent.

Until she got the L200 in 2001, every car she'd owned was a stick, her Opel was a stick, so thats no prob. I'm going to try to get her into a Focus.

ford fan here. i like the focus, but the astra is a step above and not really too much more spendy. no hondas!!!!!!

The Focus would be better equipped for less, after rebates, but the Civic is still a far better car.

I was about to suggest Versa... but if she needs a manual, just about every Versa review bashes the gearbox.

The Civic I tried felt pretty "snick-snick"; I've heard the Fit's is even better. VW's and Ford's are usually pretty good, too.

Edited by empowah

Honda is still known for road noise in the Civic, according to the Edmunds owner reviews, something that should have been vanquished by the early 90's, even for the compact class. Focus has a rep as a very quiet car for the class. I am not sure how you define "better".

I was about to suggest Versa... but if she needs a manual, just about every Versa review bashes the gearbox.

The Civic I tried felt pretty "snick-snick"; I've heard the Fit's is even better. VW's and Ford's are usually pretty good, too.

i would do fit before civic. i would do anything before civic but that's just me.

I haven't noticed any road noise in a new Civic. They're smoother, quieter and far better put together than the Cobalt. The Focus is far niftier than the Cobalt, and they come cheap.

Honda is still known for road noise in the Civic, according to the Edmunds owner reviews, something that should have been vanquished by the early 90's, even for the compact class. Focus has a rep as a very quiet car for the class. I am not sure how you define "better".

The Civic I tried felt pretty "snick-snick"; I've heard the Fit's [gearbox] is even better. VW's and Ford's [gearboxes] are usually pretty good, too.

I dunno what road noise they are talking about but the Civic I was in was quiter than my Cobalt rental.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0