Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

Pontiac Defends The G3 Insertion Into The Lineup

107 posts in this topic

By Jim Hopson

Manager, Pontiac Communications

Although there have been rumors floating around all summer, we can now confirm that the G3 is officially coming to the U.S.

If you haven’t heard, the Pontiac G3 is a stylish five-door that features excellent fuel efficiency (27 mpg city, 34 mpg highway) plus a high level of standard content and interior passenger space, all rolled into a vehicle that fills a current void in our product portfolio of the fastest growing segment in the market, small cars.

We’re talking five star crash rating, the best shoulder and hip room in its class, comfortable seating for four adults (five, if you’re “friendly”), the best city fuel economy of any vehicle Pontiac offers, and what we expect to be the lowest starting price in the Buick-Pontiac-GMC showroom. You can check out Pontiac.com to learn more.

But, as with all rumors, there are those who have already been critical and have raised a number of questions about why we would bring the G3 to the U.S. We could give a whole series of rationale, business-like answers, but we’d rather just shoot from the hip, so here goes…

Isn’t the G3 just a re-badged Chevy Aveo? The G3 and Aveo share a lot of components, true. But Toyota and Lexus also share components. Why re-engineer the wheel unnecessarily?

Why do you need a G3 and a Vibe? Put the cars side-by-side and you’ll see the difference clearly. The G3 is about 16-inches shorter than the Vibe, so, while they are both five-doors, they are in two different classes. Kinda like saying a Corvette ZR1 and a Yugo are the same thing just because they’ve both got four wheels.

How can the G3 possibly be a Pontiac? Because it’s sporty and fun-to-drive when compared to many of the cars in its segment. True, it’s not a RWD V8, but that’s why the G8 is sitting in the same showroom. Different strokes for different folks.

The long and short of it is that only a fool buries his head in the sand when times are changing, and, with one hundred years in the business, we’ve never seen the automotive world change as much as it has in the past 18-months. Pontiac customers, both new and old, are changing their priorities, too, and we want to be there for them with a complete line of sporty alternatives.

The G3 is a great little car, pure and simple, and we hope you’ll feel the same when you test drive one as it arrives in dealerships in spring 2009. Is it perfect? Heck, no, but that’s why your feedback here and in other forums is so important.

Change and growth are never easy, but knowing that we’re all in it together makes its possible.

Link: http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2008/...s.html#comments

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

How can the G3 possibly be a Pontiac? Because it’s sporty and fun-to-drive when compared to many of the cars in its segment. True, it’s not a RWD V8, but that’s why the G8 is sitting in the same showroom. Different strokes for different folks.
:rotflmao:

How can you lie like that with a straight face?

I think Autolog comments on this very article nicely:

As you may know, Pontiac has finally decided to sell the Korean-built G3 five-door hatchback in the U.S. On sale elsewhere in the world as a Daewoo and as the Pontiac Wave in Canada and Mexico, the G3 is basically a Chevy Aveo5 with a different nose and red gauges. It's brand rebadging in the grand old GM tradition. Jim Hopson, Manager of Pontiac Communications, has recently attempted to defend the G3's insertion into Pontiac's lineup on the GM Fastlane Blog. Let's take a look...

When addressing the fact that the G3 is just a rebadged Aveo5, he admits they "share a lot of components" (understatement), but that Toyota and Lexus also share components. Seriously? When Toyota and Lexus share components, the two cars are offered with entirely different exteriors, interiors, suspension and engine tuning. From what we can tell, the G3 and Aveo are identical except for their front ends, gauge clusters and wheels. Next he addresses why Pontiac needs the G3 and Vibe, but we don't think many people are asking that question. The G3 and Vibe are very different in size, capability and purpose.

The next question addressed is where things fall apart entirely. In answering how the G3 can possibly be a Pontiac, Hopson says it's because the car is "sporty and fun-to-drive when compared to many of the cars in its segment." We recently had a 2009 Chevy Aveo5 in the Autoblog Garage (review forthcoming) and can confirm that it's the least sporty and fun-to-drive among its competitors, so much so that we wonder how anyone, even a PR guy, can say otherwise with a straight face.

The G3 is on its way to Buick, Pontiac and GMC dealers for a number of reasons, but chief among them is because those dealers simply demanded it. There are no truly small cars among those three brands and they need one that looks fuel efficient to attract customers, never mind the fact that it won't even have the highest EPA rated fuel economy on their showroom floors. The also rebadged Pontiac G5 XFE can get 3 mpg better on the highway than the smaller G3.

x09pn_g3004_opt.jpg

Well, we Canadian dealers have been feeling the pain for years now, it's time for our American cousins to feel it, too.

I can't wait for the Pontiac Volt. What are they going to call it, Watt?

As I have said for years, GM is the only manufacturer out there that canablizes its own. It's not enough that we have to compete with Honda, Toyota and the rest, but we also have to worry about our Pontiac dealers whoring out products that we have in our show room. :rolleyes:

It's a big heaping dose of not good for both the dealers and the consumer, but GM figures an extra few sales are good for corporate. It's that stupid thinking that has gotten us all into this mess.

Oh, and don't forget about the Swift + sold over at Suzuki, now with 0% financing for 84 F$%KING MONTHS.

Oh, and don't forget about the Swift + sold over at Suzuki, now with 0% financing for 84 F$%KING MONTHS.

Interesting..that Swift + Canada gets looks like a rebadge of the old Aveo... the US doesn't have it, AFAIK. The European market Swift looks like a much more modern car... apparently, the Euro/Asian market Swift is coming to NA in '10.

Swift coming to US in 2010

Edited by moltar

Isn’t the G3 just a re-badged Chevy Aveo? The G3 and Aveo share a lot of components, true. But Toyota and Lexus also share components. Why re-engineer the wheel unnecessarily?
It is true that the Lexus ES, Lexus RX, Camry, Avalon, and Highlander all share the same platform, but Toyota has given each product its own unique exterior/interior design and character (what little character that Toyota or Lexus do have) to properly serve its purpose in its respective brand's lineup. This is called platform sharing, Jim! GM took a Chevy Aveo, applied a few superficial cosmetic changes, and renamed it the Pontiac G3. This is called badge engineering or rebadging, Jim! I'm sure you realize the difference; you are just bypassing it in an effort to complete your G3 justification mission. Badge engineering is the reason Pontiac has no definitive brand image or relevance in the market. I think most people wouldn't have a problem with a FWD subcompact in Pontiac's lineup if it was a distinct, brand appropriate product instead of a blatant Chevy clone rebadge job. To many diehard Pontiac fans, the blatant Chevy rebadge clone products represent a general disrespect and disregard that GM seems to have for this historic division. If this is a temporary stopgap measure to appease Pontiac dealers, then I can almost accept it (although I still believe that it further dilutes Pontiac's already watered down brand image). If it is an indication of the brand's future direction, then I say put Pontiac out of its misery and let Buick and

Saturn(?) carry on as the corporation's midmarket representatives.

Why do you need a G3 and a Vibe? Put the cars side-by-side and you’ll see the difference clearly. The G3 is about 16-inches shorter than the Vibe, so, while they are both five-doors, they are in two different classes. Kinda like saying a Corvette ZR1 and a Yugo are the same thing just because they’ve both got four wheels.

I agree that Pontiac could use a subcompact vehicle in its lineup (below the Vibe and G5), but the Aveo cloned G3 is totally inappropriate. I think people are questioning the worthiness of a rebadged Aveo in Pontiac's lineup more so than they are questioning its inclusion in relation to the Vibe.

I think the Corvette/Yugo comparison is really stretching it a bit, Jim! A Corvette/Camaro comparision would have been a lot more appropriate for a variety of reasons.

The long and short of it is that only a fool buries his head in the sand when times are changing, and, with one hundred years in the business, we’ve never seen the automotive world change as much as it has in the past 18-months. Pontiac customers, both new and old, are changing their priorities, too, and we want to be there for them with a complete line of sporty alternatives.

The G3 is a great little car, pure and simple, and we hope you’ll feel the same when you test drive one as it arrives in dealerships in spring 2009. Is it perfect? Heck, no, but that’s why your feedback here and in other forums is so important.

Change and growth are never easy, but knowing that we’re all in it together makes its possible.

Let's face it, Jim: the G3 is a cheap set of wheels that GM assigned to Pontiac to appease the wishes of your dealers. It is NOT anything close to being a sporty alternative! I know your job is to put a positive spin on this product and its placement in Pontiac's lineup. I still think that most people see it for what it is, no matter how much you or GM try to smooth it over or justify it.

As far as anyone burying their heads, GM is the poster child for doing just that. This is the main reason GM is scrambling around to meet the rapidly changing needs and expectations of the market. I do realize and accept that GM isn't the only auto corporation in this scenario and that the changes are affecting more aspects of society than just the auto industry. I just hope that the G3 is a temporary stopgap measure to quickly meet those needs and expectations in the near future. There are a lot more attractive and brand appropriate long term solutions GM could explore to satisfy those needs in the future if the corporation doesn't become dependent on providing rebadged Chevy clones as a cheap and convenient quick fix to its issues.

Edited by cire

facepalm2ly3.jpg

Edited by Captainbooyah

x09pn_g3004_opt.jpg

Why not fleet 99% all of these Pontiacs (I mean, rebadged Chevrolets) and let Chevrolet get all the retail sales?

Edited by ZL-1

That's just pure ignorance talking.. Platform sharing (like the Malibu, G6, and Aura, or Camry and ES) is one thing--each model has it's own distinct exterior and interior design), while the G3 and G5 are purely badge-engineered from their Chevrolet versions..

The G3 and G5 are the same level of lameness as what Chrysler did in the '80s--Dodge and Plymouth got identical sh*tbox FWD models that differed only in badging, grilles and taillights. It's a big step back for GM, IMHO, as they seemed to be moving away from such cheap tricks (i.e. like the U-vans/CSVs, which were 4 badge-engineered models)...it shows how little they care about Pontiac. It's just an afterthought brand now, sadly.

ARggghhhhhh.... other than Cadillac, Pontiac has historically been my favorite GM brand, esp. the '60s-70s models..when Pontiac was relevant...the Solstice and G8 are the only ones I like in today's line, they are the only models today with any Pontiac 'spirit', IMHO..

Edited by moltar

This is the biggest croc of :bs: I have ever read.

I still think all the G Names are lame!

Agreed on that! I miss real Pontiac model names...

A rebadged Suzuki Swift in 3- and 5-door versions, based on British press reviews, would have been more in keeping with Pontiac's sporty image. I do like the Pontiac G3 (Firefly would have been more fun) styling cues better than the Chevy, but the car itself is NOT sporty. I saw a fully-loaded Aveo5 today at a dealership... it is MSRP over $18k! What a joke!

I could careless about the G3, it will serve its purpose. I just wants a simi-unique G6 like the current one different from the Malibu. When we get a new G6... Which hopefully will be before 2012.

Edited by gm4life

Nearby dealer has about 8 '09 base model G6 sedans, 2.4L/4 speed autos, some with just side moldings, some with Preferred Pkg. They are not bad. I still think the G6 is a good looking car, and I love the Silver Green colour. Edited by ocnblu

Why not fleet 99% all of these Pontiacs (I mean, rebadged Chevrolets) and let Chevrolet get all the retail sales?

I suggested that a while ago. Fleet seems to be the only reason Pontiac exists anymore.

Well they're in at least as good a shape as they were in the 80's. All they had that was overtly sporty was the V8 Firebird and the V6 Fiero. Nowadays, it's the Solstice, G6 GXP and the G8...

Edited by ocnblu

In a few years Pontiac won't have the Solstice or G8, therefore nothing will be any more sporty than the Chevy counterpart.

I agree with ZL-1 about making Pontiac be the fleet division. Pontiac and GMC can both be fleeted Chevys, and BPG dealers can be given Saturn in exchange. I think Saturn and Buick would compliment each other nicely, sort of like a VW-Audi, but on a less-expensive scale (at least for Buick and most of Saturn... give Saturn Corsa, Astra, Vue, MPV, Sky (if there is a next one), to take on the lower VWs, and let Buick start off with something to take on the Jetta and Passat, along with Enclave and perhaps one other car.

Saturn is a failed brand and should be killed. All that money pumped into them, with no ROI... clearly, they are much more of a drag on GM than Pontiac ever was.

Saturn has a large stand-alone dealer network that will cost millions to close. Pontiac is grouped with Buick and GMC, those dealers aren't going to sue if they lose 33.3% of their brands, especially if GM shows legitimate interest in strengthening the other 66.7%.

Saturn is a failed brand and should be killed. All that money pumped into them, with no ROI... clearly, they are much more of a drag on GM than Pontiac ever was.

I agree, but it doesn't appear GM thinks Pontiac has anything to offer in the future, and at the same time think Saturn does have something to offer. Might as well make the most of the brands GM considers relevant.

I've thought for some time that a merger involving GM and Honda could make a very strong lineup, with GM killing all brands but Chevy and Cadillac, and thus the result being Chevy-Honda, Acura-Cadillac, each a step above the other... this could be the case with Chevy-Saturn-Buick-Cadillac, though Saturn and Buick need to gain recognition in the marketplace compared to Honda and Acura.

Honestly Pontiac still is an important brand and I have faith we will see more exciting products from them at least with different styling yes on the same platform. The G8 has been a hit seriously they are on par to sell 25K a year and that is decent with the price of gas. I predict with the DI V6 sales will be stronger, also I think the next generation G8 and Solstice will be safe and for sure the G8 because it is a rebadge for America. As for the Solstice it is a draw to get people into the showroom and would be silly to drop such a postive image car. If any brand should go it would be Saturn, smaller dealer network and lots of mid-western folks like Pontiac. Many on the coast like products like the G8 and Solstice so I don't think we will see tem going anywhere. Pontiac can been a sucess and turnaround. I am giving GM time and waiting.

I just wants a simi-unique G6 like the current one different from the Malibu. When we get a new G6... Which hopefully will be before 2012.

If Buick is going to have 2 Epsilon II sedans, then I wonder if Pontiac will get one at all. Do BPG dealers need 3 Epsilon sedans? This is why I can see the G3, G5, and Vibe being the only Pontiacs in about 3 years.

Honestly Pontiac still is an important brand and I have faith we will see more exciting products from them at least with different styling yes on the same platform. The G8 has been a hit seriously they are on par to sell 25K a year and that is decent with the price of gas. I predict with the DI V6 sales will be stronger, also I think the next generation G8 and Solstice will be safe and for sure the G8 because it is a rebadge for America. As for the Solstice it is a draw to get people into the showroom and would be silly to drop such a postive image car. If any brand should go it would be Saturn, smaller dealer network and lots of mid-western folks like Pontiac. Many on the coast like products like the G8 and Solstice so I don't think we will see tem going anywhere. Pontiac can been a sucess and turnaround. I am giving GM time and waiting.

You are in for a really big awakening. All I'm going to say.

That was unprofessional. Who does this guy think he's kidding?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0