trinacriabob

Which NATURAL DISASTER

43 posts in this topic

I saw that Hurricane Kyle is headed for Nova Scotia. It's hard to fathom that a hurricane is heading for Eastern Canada when they all seem to take aim at the Gulf States.

I have never been in a hurricane but know that people can move inland from one.

I have been in a tornado warning. When I was in Champaign IL in grad school, one day the sky went real dark and it was an eerieness I've not seen before. We were told that a tornado was near an adjacent town and that we needed to take refuge. It did not come through.

Earthquakes are the most frightening. There is no warning and the heaving/pitching/rolling can be up and down, side to side, or some combination thereof. I've been in earthquakes in Southern California and a 5-ish in Portland. Also, an 8 on the Richter scale, as compared to a 7, is not 8/7 of the strength of the smaller quake. It is 10 times the strength of the 7 quake. The Richter scale works exponentially.

Which natural disaster(s) have you experienced? Which rattles your cage the most?

Not really afraid of any of them since they're beyond my control. Hurricanes are the ones that weigh most in my mind if I'm making a housing decision, though.

Hurricanes are the ones that weigh most in my mind if I'm making a housing decision, though.

Absolutely.

I'm used to tornado warnings, and while they can seem kinda freaky, they strike such a small area that you're not likely to get hit by one, even living in an area known for them (we got quite a few in northern IN). Still good to take proper precautions, but it gets to where it's not really that freaky, especially since I like storms.

Haven't experienced a hurricane, but I imagine I'd take proper precautions to know I wasn't going to get hurt, and then I'd enjoy watching that, too.

No earthquake experience either, not sure how that would be. I have felt tremors before. Would be interesting.

Probably most likely around here in ID would be wildfires or blizzards. The national lab west of here has a well supplied firefighting team, and the area around here has good irrigation, so it probably isn't a very high risk of reaching my home, but it's a little concerning. I got diverted around one while out driving one day last year. I've been in ice storms & blizzards before, and haven't had anything bad happen, so I'm probably overconfident about that too.

I guess I'm just not much of a worrier. *shrug*

Well, I live on a hill so floods are no problemo. Hurricanes usually peter out before they get up here. Locusts are not much of an issue. Tarnadas are rare. From what I understand, there is a faultline in the area, and there was an earthquake here, oh, about 15 years ago. So ehh, not sure.

I've never experienced an earthquake or hurricane so I wouldn't know what to say about them.

Tornadoes aren't that bad either. Sometimes you get the rare F5's that devastate an entire town, but most of the time they're pretty harmless and rarely hit population centers. When they do get close, it can be a little nerve wracking. We had a funnel cloud pass over our house one summer and I even managed to get a picture of it. I've personally seen two tornadoes and they're a pretty awesome sight to see.

Floods...I will never live in a flood plain, so I don't worry about them.

Blizzards...they don't really do much damage, but it could be pretty dangerous if your car would ever break down in the middle of a rural area while one was going on. Frostbite can come on pretty fast when the winds are blowing.

I don't know, I can't say I'm really afraid of any of them.

I've been through hurricanes, so no problem there. I don't even flinch when there's a tropical storm warning. :D

Earthquakes... believe it or not, back in '04 there was a small earthquake in Blacksburg, VA that could be felt on the northern part of campus. I was in my dorm on the southern part of campus, so I was surprised when my roommate came in telling me about the earthquake. :lol:

To answer the question, though, I don't scare easy. I don't swim well, so maybe... a flood?

Frankly, right now WallStreet scares me more than if I lived on a fault line, in a valley next to a flood-prone river, in tornado alley on a hurricane zone that was inside a volcano caldera.

.... oh, and beside Godzilla's nesting ground.

Edited by CARBIZ

I've been through hurricanes, so no problem there. I don't even flinch when there's a tropical storm warning. :D

Earthquakes... believe it or not, back in '04 there was a small earthquake in Blacksburg, VA that could be felt on the northern part of campus. I was in my dorm on the southern part of campus, so I was surprised when my roommate came in telling me about the earthquake. :lol:

To answer the question, though, I don't scare easy. I don't swim well, so maybe... a flood?

It's not only the West that is seismically active. The Midwest has a serious fault zone in Southeastern Missouri (look up New Madrid - 1819, I believe). The Northeast has a swath of faults in what is called the Boston-Ottawa trend, though there hasn't been much going on there in several hundred years.

right now WallStreet scares me

Yes, right now, I am praying and "crossing" myself.

Well, I've only been through 2 hurricanes... and Gloria was "cool" to me because I was only 8 and violent weather is something I love.

I have to say the tornadoes that have been hitting Long Island have been a bit intense... the scariest was a year ago because I was driving through it, but again, not that scary.

I'd have to say I'm petrified of being in an earthquake. The only two I've been through in my life have been so tiny, I didn't know they were happening.

flying Chinese Carp, jumping lake sturgeon

UFO's

Aliens

the wall street meltdown is a natural disaster of epic proportions.

Yes, all the more disgusting in that this debacle was engineered by greedy prick$ who have helped enlarge the "have - have not" canyon we experience in this country. If these a-holes were to be lined up with guillotines aimed at their testicles and they needed a volunteer to let the cord go, I might just volunteer. (Where did 16 years of Catholic school go? Gosh).

It's not only the West that is seismically active. The Midwest has a serious fault zone in Southeastern Missouri (look up New Madrid - 1819, I believe). The Northeast has a swath of faults in what is called the Boston-Ottawa trend, though there hasn't been much going on there in several hundred years.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and there is indeed a seismic zone in VA.

Funny how they said the quake back in '03 could be felt all the way up to southern PA, but I was about a 3-hour drive from the epicenter and felt nothing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead