!!!TED!!!

The ultimate W-body Cutlass!

42 posts in this topic

There is a used car dealer close to my home that is selling a 1992 Cutlass Supreme with a super rare HM-284 Getrag 5-speed (a 1991-92 option) mated to the 3.4L DOHC 24-valve V6. It even has the older-style wheels!

I went to the lot, but its not on the premises now, and I checked a few days ago, and still nothing.
This would so be my car (if I had the money now). :P

Posted Image
Posted Image

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...23&adid=3361608

http://www.quincyshowroom.com/details.asp?carid=2341#7866

wow thats cool! never knew you could get a 5 speed in a Cutlass sedan....I don't like the color but that is a truely rare car!

I'm not a fan of sedans, but I'd buy that in a minute!! The 3.4L DOHC loves the 5-speed, I have a friend w/ a 5-spd DOHC GP sedan and it flies. That's a rare Cutlass, I hope the buyer knows that.

I :wub: that color!

Just like with the Datsun the rarity and wow factor would be enough for me to buy it. Cool.

would have been a good combo for the rag top version

Doesn't look like the previous owner gave a crap about its rarity... go figure... It would be a fun car to have but my favorite that I saw in a U-Pull-It yard was an 89-90 International Series Cutlass coupe with the 2.8/3.1 and the 5 Speed - That one has to be incredibly rare!! :) (Too bad it was gutted and in the junkyard!!)

Ooo, I like it!

Yeah it's cool..... You could have picked it up for CHEAP. Those cars with manual transmissions have such poor resale value, you really could have gotten an incredible deal.

If you could get a getrag convertable mated to a 38 I would have been all over one of them years ago. I dont want anything to do with that twin cam......just not worth it. So like all W's without the 38 I always walked away.

that may be true about the 3.4 twin cam but the 3.5 shortstar in my moms intrigue is awsome and is close to 100k problem free miles with NOTHING replaced and maybe 1 fuel injector cleaning and a new air filter, were going to get it a tune up and new plugs andwires when it hits 100k so that it has another 100k of problem free miles

There is a used car dealer close to my home that is selling a 1992 Cutlass Supreme with a super rare HM-284 Getrag 5-speed (a 1991-92 option) mated to the 3.4L DOHC 24-valve V6. It even has the older-style wheels!

I went to the lot, but its not on the premises now, and I checked a few days ago, and still nothing.
This would so be my car (if I had the money now). :P

Wow, that is a rare one. '92 Internationals used those wheels, 93 switched over to the five-spokes. Color must be Quasar Blue, but it acually looks like Med. Cloisonne (my favorite W-Body Cutlass color, '95 exclusive) in the pic.

that may be true about the 3.4 twin cam but the 3.5 shortstar in my moms intrigue is awsome and is close to 100k problem free miles with NOTHING replaced and maybe 1 fuel injector cleaning and a new air filter, were going to get it a tune up and new plugs andwires when it hits 100k so that it has another 100k of problem free miles

[post="76920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yea, its too bad that was not around in mid 90's for the 2dr Supremes & convertables, how cool would that be with a 5 stick ?

Then they had to turn the Cutlass into a Malibu :blink: boy that was sperty !

twin cam was great idea that fell short in effort or something, these are the things GM didnt need to do and fail at in the early 90's.

ABS
Quad 4
Twin Cam
plastic manifold in 3800 SII
FWD only

success would have made the difference of day and night today

:unsure:

How much were they asking? Divide by 1.18 to get to American moolah. I don't know if I trust the 3.4 DOHC V6 of that era. A friend had it in a 1992 Grand Prix coupe and it was not particularly reliable. Fast...yes.

How much were they asking?  Divide by 1.18 to get to American moolah.

I don't know if I trust the 3.4 DOHC V6 of that era.  A friend had it in a 1992 Grand Prix coupe and it was not particularly reliable.  Fast...yes.

[post="77254"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I know several LQ1 (3.4 DOHC) owners w/ high mileage and relatively few problems to report- myself among them. The reliability was fine if the owner took a few extra simple steps in maintenance, such as replacing the timing belt every 60k as recommended, and watching the oil level. It wasn't quite the right engine for the masses, sadly, and it was allowed to die a quick quiet death. GM's redheaded step-engine...

The LQ1 was adapted from the 3.1 pushrod engine, and was not all it could be, unfortunately. Had it been developed further, it could have been a beast- high compression/premium fuel, variable induction, variable valve timing, etc. As it was in its final year, 1997, it produced 220hp and 220lbs-ft- very similar to the NA 3800's numbers w/ 10.5% less displacement. Hmmm...

Why weren't more of those produced? Was the getrag a weak transmission? I'd love to have a 5-spd anything, and when its in an unsuspecting daily driver like that its just neat. If I had the cash I'd swap a T5 into my grand marquis just because. The swap has been done a couple times already. Edited by nitroracer

the 284 is a stong tranny, in 94 is when the W-bodys were starting to go under going under changes and they drop it

Wierd that GM was doing mainstream DOHC engines back then and then later walked away from them, considering the competition went for them completely...

Anyone know if the Cutlass convertible was offered with a manual? A buddy of mine has a '95 w/automatic...red w/ white interior. It's a neat car, probably the most distinctive of the W-bodies.

That was interesting.. I remember that one. It had steering wheel controls. I hate when I see one with the buttons off the wheel.
As for 5 speeds:

This commercial has it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=spzvh2HE0h0

I thought they were neat with the heads up display too. They had those special seats too that were multi adjustable. Those wheels reminded me of the wheels from hot wheels. I thought it was cool when the coupes had them. Oldsmobile really put effort into the platforms they were given. I call it being creative on a budget.

I wish you could get it Ted.... I feel you on that one too.. Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

GM's DOHC effort never matched Toyota's smoothness, reliability or power. More importantly, GM customers liked the pushrod stuff just fine at a lower price.

Prior to the 1982 Supra only an odd assortment of ancient Italian cars had twin cam engines. Throughout the 80s Toyota introduced some cool DOHC engines. Anyone remember the Twin Cam Corolla GTS? Or the 7M-GTE?

Wierd that GM was doing mainstream DOHC engines back then and then later walked away from them, considering the competition went for them completely...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor