Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyerShift

Chrysler Could be America's Benz, BMW

52 posts in this topic

Um, well, here you go. I had to laugh myself but I would most certainly welcome such a development, should it come to any sort of fruition, with wiiiide open arms.

Chrysler's Jim Press Aspirations

Yeah, okay... I am sure that all that's wrong with the Sebring is it's being powered by the wrong wheels.

Yeah, speaking of the Sebring, where's that 2009 refresh I've been waiting for since the car debuted? If you look on the website, it says 2009 Sebring, yet it's the same damn car with the ugly ridges in the hood, and the same $h!tacular interior. What happened to the spy photos of the "necessarily refresh"?

Jim Press is delusional, never in a million years will the best Chrysler product be on par with the worst BMW product. Chrysler can't even build a product as well as Hyundai, how will they compete with Mercedes. Chrysler will serve out the next couple years as a top supplier to Avis and Enterprise before going into liquidation.

Yeah, okay... I am sure that all that's wrong with the Sebring is it's being powered by the wrong wheels.

Yeah, speaking of the Sebring, where's that 2009 refresh I've been waiting for since the car debuted? If you look on the website, it says 2009 Sebring, yet it's the same damn car with the ugly ridges in the hood, and the same $h!tacular interior. What happened to the spy photos of the "necessarily refresh"?

Not sure, but the 2011 300 gets a refresh and a new interior. Problem is that car came out in 2005, so it will be getting a mid-cycle refresh at 6 years old. Sebring came out in 2007, maybe 2013 is their MCE year.

*sarcasm*

Give me 1 trillion dollars and I can turn Tata into the new BMW!

*sarcasm*

Edited by ZL-1

To me, the 300C is Chrysler's best product - and it doesn't hold a candle to the 750Li..

*sarcasm*

*sarcasm*

That possibly might happen before Chrysler can be a BMW.

In theory it could work. Decades long past, Chrysler could run with the best Cadillac had to offer. Cadillac is working it's way out of the mud and towards becoming The Standard of the World again. Who would have thought 15 years ago that Cadillac would have a BMW killer (CTS-V)?

It's certainly possible, any brand can move upmarket (look at Hyundai), and it would get rid of any overlap with Dodge, but requires time, patience and investment into the product to make it happen. I'd love to say I could see it happening, but as of right now he's off his rocker.

Jim Press is delusional, never in a million years will the best Chrysler product be on par with the worst BMW product. Chrysler can't even build a product as well as Hyundai, how will they compete with Mercedes. Chrysler will serve out the next couple years as a top supplier to Avis and Enterprise before going into liquidation.

Eh, never say never...

Sure, Chrysler is a long way off and on its death throws, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way. Look at Ford coming back into the game with its new product. Chrysler just hasn't made the tough decisions yet that they need to be making.

*sarcasm*

*sarcasm*

They do have Jaguar, and the XF is the best mid-size luxury sedan on the market right now. Edmunds.com and Motor Trend comparison winner, Car and Driver 10 Best, Automobile Magazine All Star.

Does Jim Press know that a 300 starts around $25,000 and the full size Mercedes starts at $90,000? Or that BMW and Mercedes aren't using the same V6 from 1997 in their 2009 cars? Or that M-B and BMW don't sell 60% of their cars to rental car companies?

They do have Jaguar, and the XF is the best mid-size luxury sedan on the market right now. Edmunds.com and Motor Trend comparison winner, Car and Driver 10 Best, Automobile Magazine All Star.

I believe the XF was developed using Ford's money and Ford engineers. Sorry, just because Tata owns Jaguar doesn't mean that development credit transfers automatically over to them.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Maybe in 20 years or so.

Well, Chrysler was of Daimler's US brands.. :)

>>"Or that M-B and BMW don't sell 60% of their cars to rental car companies?"<<

In Germany they do- mercedes: 50% and BMW: 67% rental/fleet. That pretty much averages to the neighborhood fo 60%. No doubt fleet sales in the rest of europe are high, too; no reason to think Germany would be an anomoly here.

XF Jag needs a bunch more refinement to compete with the class leaders- it's not there, yet. And reliability remains the perpetual question...

Edited by balthazar

There's absolutely no way Chrysler can compete with BMW. They don't have the money to invest in the products to make them as good as BMWs nor the image to compete in such a price range.

Not sure, but the 2011 300 gets a refresh and a new interior. Problem is that car came out in 2005, so it will be getting a mid-cycle refresh at 6 years old. Sebring came out in 2007, maybe 2013 is their MCE year.

The 2011 cars are not refreshes. They are total redesigns on a new platform.

What happened to the spy photos of the "necessarily refresh"?

Mmm...I think you might be remembering something that doesn't exist?

Haha, wow.

They should set their sights on Hyundai first.

Yeah, speaking of the Sebring, where's that 2009 refresh I've been waiting for since the car debuted? If you look on the website, it says 2009 Sebring, yet it's the same damn car with the ugly ridges in the hood, and the same &#036;h&#33;tacular interior. What happened to the spy photos of the "necessarily refresh"?

Love your review of the Sebring... I couldn't describe it better... I think the only things they get right with the Sebring is that the wheels are round and that it doesn't normally drive sideways.

I am still pulling for Chrysler, though. I used to cheer for underdog AMC, as well. A history of beautiful cars of questionable quality. I've seen several new Challengers in person, and the car has great presence... I hope that the Challenger is still loved after racking up some miles.

Not sure, but the 2011 300 gets a refresh and a new interior. Problem is that car came out in 2005, so it will be getting a mid-cycle refresh at 6 years old.

Or that BMW and Mercedes aren't using the same V6 from 1997 in their 2009 cars?

As usual, you are mistaken. As Chris said, the 300 (and Charger) are redesigns on the new LY platform (an evolution of the LX)

When they debut they will have the new Phoenix V6 engines, one of the most advanced in the world, and apparently and 8-speed automatic. MB and BMW can't match that. :P

Chrysler being a t the same level as the Germans could be done, they can beat the Germans at their own game. Remember the ME-412? They were going to build it. It was better than the SLR can was far more cost effective. That's Why Daimler killed it. What an embarrassment it would be to have the American company show up the German company. However, it takes money, time, and product to move a brand upmarket.

Edited by Dodgefan

>>"Or that M-B and BMW don't sell 60% of their cars to rental car companies?"<<

XF Jag needs a bunch more refinement to compete with the class leaders- it's not there, yet. And reliability remains the perpetual question...

The XF's reviews rate it #1 in the class. Yes the AJ V8 is old, but it sounds good and the car is fast. But a new 5 liter V8 is coming soon. Jaguar ranks 10th in JD Power reliability (which studies 2005 cars, not the XF) but that was higher than Mercedes and Audi. They rank #9 in initial quality, higher than Cadillac, BMW and Audi. Jaguar is currently #1 in both customer service and sales satisfaction. If reliability is a problem with Jaguar, it is a problem with the 27 brands that rank below it as well.

If reliability is a problem with Jaguar, it is a problem with the 27 brands that rank below it as well.

im going to go out on a limb and say that last sentence is prolly going to get some flame thrown at it in a later point in time. just because one company has a "reputation" or something of that ilk, doesnt mean the ones behind it are struggling with that same problem.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that Cadillac would build a world class sport sedan?

Who would have thought 15 years ago that Hyundai would build a V8 luxury sedan?

Who would have thought 25 years ago that Toyota/Honda/Nissan would build luxury cars?

Jim Press is one of the guys from Toyota that ran the company while it ate GM/Chrysler/Ford's lunch, I don't see anything here thats funny. Chrysler used to build world class luxury cars (Imperial) and is in need of significant changes to stay alive.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that Cadillac would build a world class sport sedan?

Who would have thought 15 years ago that Hyundai would build a V8 luxury sedan?

Who would have thought 25 years ago that Toyota/Honda/Nissan would build luxury cars?

Jim Press is one of the guys from Toyota that ran the company while it ate GM/Chrysler/Ford's lunch, I don't see anything here thats funny. Chrysler used to build world class luxury cars (Imperial) and is in need of significant changes to stay alive.

Exactly right.