Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cire

World Car Fans: Baby Buick Spied With Less Camouflage

47 posts in this topic

I think this is shaping up to be one nice compact sedan for Buick. It is clearly a sedan version of the new Astra, but it appears that GM took a little more effort in ensuring that the front end treatment fit in with the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse. I provided a link to the article below (Sorry! I'm not sure how to import photos).

Link: Baby Buick Spied With Less Camouflage, Source: World Car Fans

P.S. I am disappointed that I don't see any ventiports.

P.S.S. I also don't want to see this nice looking sedan carry the "Verano" name. I would still settle for "Vectra", personally.

Not bad. I still need to see what differentiates this from a Cruze.

As far as sheetmetal goes, you can tell there are a lot of differences from the spy pics.

It's basically an Astra with a boot and Buick grille.

Edited by whiteknight

Enough differentiation from the Cruze on the looks deprtment IMO. Different headlights, front bumper/grille, and hood compared to the Opel Astra. Interior looks exactly the same to my eyes.

cire, look a bit closer at the hood. It appears to me to be "bumps" on the hood in the same place as the new LaCrosse ventiports.

This thing as a coupe in a sporty trim level could be cool with turbo 2.0/six speed auto. (I have even less hope for a manual transmission.)

cire, look a bit closer at the hood. It appears to me to be "bumps" on the hood in the same place as the new LaCrosse ventiports.

This thing as a coupe in a sporty trim level could be cool with turbo 2.0/six speed auto. (I have even less hope for a manual transmission.)

Yeah, I guess I missed them. I went back and looked at the pictures. It's obvious that the ventiports are there in the shot where the 2 sedans (one with foglights and one without) are sitting side by side. That's definitely a relief.

Overall, this design seems more upscale and flowing than the Cruze. The only aspect that bothers me is the taillight elements; they look a little downmarket for a premium segment compact sedan. Other than that, the exterior design looks completely appropriate. I love the Buick-ized front end treatment. The shape of the grille and headlights are wonderful.

The interior looks identical to the Astra 5-door, which is great. The only aspect about it that I don't like is the red trim on the dashboard and door panels; it looks kind of garish. I'm sure that red trim can be avoided with other interior color choices though.

I would still love to see the Astra 5-door make an appearance in the U.S. also.

Well, to me, the taillights look like junior LaCrosse units.

The last gen Accord called and wants its tail lights back.

Otherwise it looks fairly promising.

the sides look too much like a Hyundai which should not be the point.

I too think we need the 3 door and 5 door to round this out. the 3 door is sexy. the 5 door is sleek. this thing is frumpy. at least they seem to have kept the opel interior, albeit the detroit beancounters will probably choose to slath it in cheap north american plastic with huge panel gaps.

Space-efficient family hatchbacks usually don't make good-looking sport sedans... see Jetta vs. Golf.

Well, to me, the taillights look like junior LaCrosse units.

The shape of the taillights is fine, but the interior elements look like they belong on a cheaper car. Maybe the actual production sedan will have better elements. I would either like to see LEDs or at least something that has a clearer, jewel like appearance to it. GM appears to have done such a great job with this car overall, I would hate to see them cheap out on this one detail.

the sides look too much like a Hyundai which should not be the point.

I too think we need the 3 door and 5 door to round this out. the 3 door is sexy. the 5 door is sleek. this thing is frumpy. at least they seem to have kept the opel interior, albeit the detroit beancounters will probably choose to slath it in cheap north american plastic with huge panel gaps.

I can't imagine Americans buying Buick hatchbacks here...I would assume this will be only in sedan form w/ an automatic.

I too see previous gen Accord in the tail. Too Japanese looking from the rear IMO, although that seems to be the safest route to take to better compete with the competition as it stands today. I hope that eventually once GM can afford to take more chances they will branch out and design cars that are truly world class but unmistakably American and unmistakably General Motors.

As far as sheetmetal goes, you can tell there are a lot of differences from the spy pics.

It's basically an Astra with a boot and Buick grille.

I'm not saying on looks... I want to know engine/package-wise/options, what will differentiate it. Being that the Cruze is supposed to be a little more premium than the Cobalt, I'm wondering how it'll differ from this.

Looks like it's gonna be a Baby LaCrosse with an Astra greenhouse.

I'm not saying on looks... I want to know engine/package-wise/options, what will differentiate it. Being that the Cruze is supposed to be a little more premium than the Cobalt, I'm wondering how it'll differ from this.

As far as engines go, I would be happy with the 2.4L DI 4-cylinder with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

I think this car actually looks pretty good. It has sort of an Elantra vibe, bit I think that's one of the better looking compact sedans of the past couple of years. The taillights are more Lacrosse than anything else.

I can't imagine Americans buying Buick hatchbacks here...I would assume this will be only in sedan form w/ an automatic.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think the 2010 Opel Astra 5-door would have made a nice Pontiac LeMans. Since the grille, headlights, and taillights look significantly different from the Astra based sedan that Buick is getting, I think the 2 models could have been sold in the same dealer network without directly competing or overlapping. To me, the 2010 Astra 5-door looks sportier and a much better fit for Pontiac than the Toyota derived Vibe ever did. I still think GM (or the government or both) gave up on Pontiac too fast. The upcoming Astra 3-door/5-door (LeMans), Insignia sedan (Grand Prix), and Holden Commodore (Bonneville) would have made a nice 3-car lineup for Pontiac. The upcoming Astra sedan (Centieme?, Vectra?, or Regal?), the 2010 LaCrosse (which I still think should have been called Invicta or LeSabre), and a fullsize Epsilon-Plus based sedan (Invicta or LaCrosse, whichever name wasn't used on the 2010 LaCrosse) would be joined by 2 or 3 crossovers to form Buick's lineup. From what I understand, GM is going to try to market the Insignia based Regal as a sports sedan; maybe they would have had an easier time with this if it was the Pontiac Grand Prix instead.

To me,

This: 2010 Opel Astra Wallpaper, Source: Net Car Show

which represents Pontiac much better than

This: 2009 Pontiac Vibe Wallpaper, Source: Net Car Show

&

This: 2009 Opel Insignia Wallpaper, Source: Net Car Show

which would make a more appropriate Pontiac midsize sedan than

This: 2009 Pontiac G6 Wallpaper, Source: Net Car Show

Plus

This: 2008 Pontiac G8 Wallpaper, Source: Net Car Show

which made an appropriate flagship sedan for the brand (although it should have been called "Bonneville"

=

a nice niche lineup for Pontiac.

Why does the interior look like it came from a Mazda or Mitsubishi?

They have made a more Asian looking Cruze, and it doesn't look at all luxurious. GM keeps saying Buick is a luxury brand, but the interior of this looks like a Lancer or Mazda 3 and not like a Lexus or Lincoln.

And who are they kidding with that spoiler. First off it is a Buick, it shouldn't have a spoiler, secondly, it is front drive, a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car makes no sense.

Edited by smk4565

I could definitely live with that :)

The interior is from the new Astra:

028_2010opelastra.jpg

Are the seat inserts faux woodgrain or real wood? ;-) It would be like driving while sitting on a desk.

^^ That interior pic is heavily under the influence of photoshop ;)

some sheetmetal and the interior is diffrent. other than that its the same. you have to expect that since it will be assembled in the same assembly plant.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0