very very very sad news

staceface

Hi Guys:

Please forgive me springing this on you, i apologize. I just got off messenger with Jay, whom many of you will remember as the partner of Chief, one of our C&G members.

Jay informed me that Chief passed away on January 4, 2006. He had been sick for some time, and his heart gave out.

I know a lot of you will be as upset as I am. Chief was a member who always had a great outlook on life. His posts were thoughtful, informative, and just plain clever. I for one, learned a lot from him, and looked forward to his posts, and our chats. I am still shocked.

I've set up this post to not only let you know the news, but to start a thread in honour of Chief's life. Share a little of how knowing Chief touched you. I know its very little to do for someone, but maybe this post can serve as our very own tribute to the man we all knew and loved.

Stacey

Edited by staceface

Oh man, I'm in shock right now. I remember Chief from way back when I first started posting here...he seemed like an extremely cool guy, even if he didn't really care for first-gen Luminas like mine. He did have insightful posts that were very well written and thought out. It's amazing how you can never meet someone in person yet still feel awful when hearing of their passing. :(

RIP Chief....you were a good guy with a big heart, and your Chiefisms you put at the end of your posts were always clever.

Man, what a shocker. I had no idea. He will be missed. He was a great guy. He was very witty and intelligent which always made his posts a pleasure to read. It is sad to hear of his passing as we all shared some good times with him on the board. While recently he decided to stay away from C&G for his own reasons, the good times will surely be remembered, and it was a shame when he had a falling out with C&G as many of us members always enjoyed having him around. Rest in peace Chief.

*moment of silence*

-_-

Edited by Nick

Chief was great. I really appreciated how he was able to be one of the mature voices of reason among us hot-headed youngins and still get bogged down in some of the sillyness and have fun. He was confident, a bright guy, and he reminded me that my teachers from high school were probably people too. :)

Guess it's time to rest now, dude.

I can't believe this. This is just awful. All I can say is that Chief will always be remembered as a kind, funny man. He will be missed.

EDIT: I move for a front page dedication to one of our most valued members.

Who's with me?

Edited by Cadillacfan

I am completely and utterly stunned at this news. Even though Chief and I ended our friendship a while back (for reasons unclear to me,) I am certainly thinking of him now. Condolences to Jay. I had no idea he was not well, he never let on.

R.I.P. Chief. This is shocking considering how young he was. He was pretty moody, but when he was in a good mood, he was a lot of fun.

He was blunt with his words and had nothing to hide. The posts I remember the most were those that dealt with Jay, the Bonneville getting totaled, and his kitchen remodel.

Very, very sad news indeed.

The name "Chief" instantly conjures up a very funny and witty individual. Another thing that was a real bond was that he probably grew up and lived within 2 hours of where I went to grad school - the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In fact, when he would post pictures of his house and street, it would take me back there.

I find that on this site there is a link to virtually every one - same age bracket, same career, originating from the same place, currently living in the same place, similar travels, similar interests, ethnicity or even zodiacal sign, when that thread goes around. That's what makes it fun. And when somebody as fun and colorful as "Chief" is no longer with us, it is a big loss for both C&G and those close to him. God keep you, big guy.

Whoa. I'm speechless.

RIP Chief, sir. You were always a great man. I remember you always telling me how I'm much like a younger version of you, or how you were at my age. And I'll never forget you telling me "Good things come for those who wait."

RIP my friend. You'll be missed.

I'm skeptical too... as his signature had "Chief died Jan 4th" or something like that and on the old boards, when he left, he had something like that. If he did pass away... wow, I'm speechless and regret not taking the chance to chat with him after he said we could when I PMed him about his negativity. I just... don't know. :unsure:

I can shed some light on the situation. I am Chief's partner and the one who put in his signature that he had died. Chief left all of his passwords with me so I could contact his online contacts. I did not want to post this here because I didn't think it was my place since I never posted here. I did send a private message to Josh a few days ago regarding this situation hoping he would make the announcement for me. I spoke with Stacey this morning and told her. I'm glad she made the announcement for me. Both myself and Chief's family are sickened by those who want confirmation of his demise. I don't believe we owe any proof to confirm Chief's death to people we do not know. For those who offered words of support. Thank you. Jay

I'm sure all here give thier deepest sympathies to you and your loss. I'm sure this is a terrible time for something like this, but it is understandable that some are skeptical given Chief's questionable history with the site to those closest to the situation. I'm sure we all have fond memories, and speaking as an outsider I only saw what Chief let on on the boards, which was mostly positive and a nice guy in general.

It is with sincere sympathy I heard as this is the worst thing that can happen to anybody in life in my book. My question is why let this bother you? Why should you or Chief's family care at all what some group of people say on the internet? I can understand being upset that this is going on in a time when you are grieving, but these are perfect strangers to you, thier opinion shouldn't make that much of a difference to you. In the context of the Chief's past here though, it is understandable some are skeptical.

I'm very very sorry for your loss, and I mean this with the best intentions. I will pray for the best for you and for him and his family.

Edited by turbo200

I can shed some light on the situation.  I am Chief's partner and the one who put in his signature that he had died. Chief left all of his passwords with me so I could contact his online contacts. I did not want to post this here because I didn't think it was my place since I never posted here.  I did send a private message to Josh a few days ago regarding this situation hoping he would make the announcement for me.  I spoke with Stacey this morning and told her.  I'm glad she made the announcement for me.  Both myself and Chief's family are sickened by those who want confirmation of his demise.  I don't believe we owe any proof to confirm Chief's death to people we do not know. For those who offered words of support.  Thank you.  Jay

Well, you must consider his latest actions around here...

Anyways, damn. I cannot believe it. I... I'm speechless. I can't believe I never took that chance to chat with him. If only I knew. Oh man... I regret that more than anything. I'll miss him and the fun we used to have on Alpha's chat room. Damn... :(

*sits stunned*

Thoughts/prayers coming to Chief's friends/family.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

"My time here is over" ... Patty Loveless ... 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?'

I'll miss him and the fun we used to have on Alpha's chat room. Damn... :(

True. To whomever is upset that validation is sought, we've had a lot of hoaxes around here lately...such as people imitating other people and stuff like that, so please don't be upset.

Also, where is Alpha? I haven't seen him around for a while.

That is indeed very sad. They guy seemed like the type of person who would be invincible. Muscular with a tall frame... not the kind of person you'd ever consider vulnerable at all. :( This is terrible news, but let's remeber him fondly as the person we all enjoyed interacting wiht when he was still wiht us.

My prayers go out to you Biker and to the rest of his friends and family. :mellow:

Man, oh man. This is absolutley horrible.

It amazes me how fast people can exit this world without you knowing. I was just thinking about a new Chiefism a couple days ago, to give to him next time he posted. I always enjoyed those that he put at the end of all of his posts, and that old thread he started for us to help him think of new ones. He was a real cool guy, with a great personality, and to tell you the truth, I'm going to really miss the big guy.

I give my condolences to you, Jay. I'm really sorry.

Rest in peace, Chief. I have to go edit my sig.

How come always the best people always die young.

Not ever does a dictator of a threating nation ever die of body complications.

To a man that has always brought inspiration and a deep though on to a post instead of just posting random blaber.

So is it true that the good die young!

RIP Cheif and my god have Your Favorite Car waiting for you on the race track of heaven!

It is hard but you will get over it recently i knew some one that died in september very close to me. Also a freind last march was killed on the job only at 23. I wish you all good luck!!

I didnt mean any disrespect. I have been on other message boards where people have hoaxed their demises.

Anyways, my condolences.

I was actually thinking of Chief at the start of NAIAS, since he said he was planning on going. I was gonna say the Ford Super Chief would be the perfect truck for him. ^_^

:(

Thanks to all who have offered words of support. I did not know why Chief had a falling out with this board. For as outgoing as he was he was also very private. Chief loved everyone until he felt there was a reason not to love them anymore, and that was usually because they had some something to him that broke trust. He never knew a stranger, and trusted everyone until that trust was broken, and then you became a stranger. Chief was brutally honest. He always said things how he saw them. You always knew where you stood with Chief. Despite being a big muscular man with intimidating looks, he was a gentle guy who always lent a hand to anyone who was down on their luck. I remember him getting a local homeless man hired at his Grandfather's dealership. That gentleman is now a top salesman and has a new lease on life. Chief gave to all charities and gave everything in his work with children. Chief was a crazy car guy. His life revolved around cars. He bought too many cars. He knew too much about cars. He spent too much time on the internet looking at car news. For some reason, his favorite was always this board. Chief's fondness for this board extended too far beyond what I deemed acceptable. Case in point, Chief wanted to offer financial support for the board and make it into an automotive journalists venue, using real people as test drivers and writers. He wanted to fund all of this and pay people to do this. I told him he was crazy to pay strangerss he did not know to do this, but he was a dreamer who had an endless amount of money to fund such a dream. He was a crazy car guy. I'm glad there was a falling out and this did not happen since I felt it was a waste of money. Despite that, I am glad that he earned the respect of many on this bulletin board. I'm also glad there's people on here who hate him, too. He made an impact on everyone. Like in real life, he was not someone who passed by unnoticed. You either loved him or you hated him, and he was fine either way. I am very glad that you all were a small part of his life.

To those who wrote private messages to me regarding Chief. Thank you very much for your thoughts and feelings. I printed those and gave them to our families. His loss has been very hard on us, and quite honestly, something from which we will never recover. Jay

I remember when I first came to the site, his posts are probably what made me stick around. Very entertaining and good opinions. I've always thought it wasn't quite the same when he stopped posting here.

Chief will be missed by many!

Jay thank you for coming on the board, your words confirm to us how

good of a man Chief was.

I didn't know Chief, but I feel bad to know he's gone and I never got to know him.. I run several communities of my own, and it's always sad when, all of the sudden, you know somebody is gone forever. This is why we should always live each day as if it were our last. We may disagree with one another from time to time, but that's okay. It's life. We can agree to disagree and be done with it.. Life is far, far too short to stay angry at one another for such silly reasons..

Since this is a memorandum of sorts, I think it might be an interesting idea to link to some of Chief's posts from the past. Such as:

http://www.80sxchange.com/deceased/kira/

http://www.80sxchange.com/deceased/boggle/boggle.html

• 3 months later...

I wish I could have heard about this earlier, as I am deeply saddened by it. Reading Chief's posts was always a bright spot in my day. His fallout is one of the most significant contributors as to why I do not frequent this site anymore. I have even been thinking about him in the last few days, so it came as quite a shock to me. He touched the lives of everyone who was a member while he posted and I'm sure the same goes for everyone he came into contact with on a regular basis.

REST IN PEACE CHIEFY, REST IN PEACE!