Saturn Poised to Steal the Show

Bimmer325

Saturn Poised to Steal the Show

By Bimmer325

Posted Image

Saturn's transition from second-thought to center-stage will soon be more apparent than ever. GM's planetary marque is a brand in transition, and the General isn't banking on any-one model to spark its turnaround. Rather, an entire fleet of compelling product is set to steal the show. The stage, it seems, will be the New York International Auto Show next month.

Saturn's New Outlook

Saturn's revolution commenced with the debut of the Sky, and if any vehicle could shatter perceptions of a brand, this is it. Its crisp origami design aesthetic is a mere sample of what’s to come, and those not familiar with it may be in for a shock the next time they pass their Saturn dealer. The Solstice is a proven hit, and with edgier exterior styling and a gorgeous interior, the Sky is sure to follow suit. The next chapter (and arguably the more crucial one) will be producing practical Saturns that still steal the show. If the Aura is any indication, Saturn has the right idea. In just a few short weeks, we'll see if the rest of the new lineup can keep up.

[001. AURA] Aura replaces the defunct L-Series and will likely be the volume-leader of the new Saturns. With the Aura, Saturn's bringing some much-needed spice to the bread and butter sedan market, and just might take a serious bite out of the midsize menu in the process. It’s the latest in GM's fleet of Epsilon midsizers, and looks to be the most polished. It'll be the only Epsilon model to offer GM's high-feature 3.6-liter V-6 (good for 250 horsepower), and will be among the first to offer GM's all-new six-speed automatic transmission. Even though it'll be aimed at the higher-end of the market, the Aura will likely steal considerable sales from more mainstream competitors like Camry and Accord in four-cylinder form. From a styling standpoint, the Aura offers more visual pizzazz than either, and if the production interior is anything like the stunning concept, it'll be a serious contender. If the Sky’s illustrious cockpit came to fruition, the Aura’s cabin seems like a feasible reality. In V-6 form, even more-upmarket competitors like the TL won't be out of Aura's reach.

The production model will debut alongside Nissan's redesigned Altima and revamped midsizers from both Chrylser and Dodge, but thanks to the concept, the Aura's already garnered more attention than the Nissan and DCX pair combined. If the production version holds true to the concept's winning formula, it'll be a recipe for success.

Posted Image

[002. OUTLOOK] The Lambda-based Outlook will slot above the current VUE in Saturn's lineup and is set to debut in near-production form (à la Enclave) next month. Outlook production will begin in November along with the GMC Acadia. "The Outlook will be a key vehicle in our strategy to grow the Saturn brand," said Jill Lajdziak, Saturn general manager, "It will get us into the expanding midsize crossover segment with a vehicle that features dynamic design and a refined, sophisticated interior." The Outlook will debut with the same 250-horsepower V-6 as the Buick Enclave, with an optional V-8 (Saturn's first) possibly becoming available later on. Like the Aura, the Outlook will have Japan's most formidable contenders in its crosshairs. If the Enclave is any indication, the Outlook has immense promise.

[003. VUE] The next-generation VUE will also be among the trio of never-before-seen Saturns debuting in New York. Saturn will tout a concept version of what’s essentially an Opel Antara in Saturn guise. Saturn's all-new VUE will begin production next spring as an '08 model. The production version will resemble the European-market Chevrolet Captiva, with revised front and rear fascias. Based on an updated version of GM's Theta architecture, the VUE will retain its trim dimensions and likely include a Green Line hybrid variant shortly after its debut. Like all new Saturns, the VUE will lose its dent-resistant polymer panels in favor of conventional steel sheetmetal. Saturn's transition to steel will lower production costs by up to 40%, while allowing the Saturn line to mirror Opel more effectively. Sure, Saturn will be losing a piece of its identity, but its gaining competitive and appealing product in the process. All joking aside, I'll just be more careful about where I park my Aura.

[004. SKY RED LINE] If you think the Sky is a complete departure from the Saturn of old, just wait for NY. In addition to the models we've yet to see, Saturn will reveal the Sky Red Line, a high-performance version of the Kappa-based roadster we've fallen in love with. Expect upwards of 260 horsepower along with revised exterior styling and a slightly tweaked interior. The Sky will be the first of the new Saturns to receive Red Line treatment. Saturn’s Kappa will likely sell at or slightly above list price thanks to the carmaker’s consumer-friendly pricing policy, whereas the Solstice is currently commanding a sizeable premium over its $20,490 MSRP. Depending on the dealer, the feature-laden Sky just might turn out to be the better deal.

Posted Image

Why Saturn Has What it Takes

Saturn's lineup will double in just over a year. The "new" Saturn will emerge a completely revitalized brand with all-new models and an all-new lease on life. But Saturn's journey upmarket won't take place overnight. As of this year, its dwindling lineup was down to just three models, two of which are held among GM’s weakest product. Throw in Saturn's history of producing cars with lackluster performance and lifeless design and the task grows even further.

But there is good news. Even in the absence of compelling product, Saturn's sterling customer-service kept buyers loyal. Establishing a brand renowned for dealer-satisfaction is no easy task, but it’ll aid the upcoming product assault in gaining momentum. According to GM’s internal data, more than 70 percent of Saturn buyers wouldn't have considered another GM brand, and about half that number would’ve bought an import instead. Numbers like these give Saturn a valued spot in the General’s stable, and just might explain why Oldsmobile got the axe instead. Moreover, Saturn was among the first to adopt the haggle-free buying process it's renowned for (the same strategy brands like Scion seek to emulate). In the eyes of consumers, putting "people first" made competitive product almost beside the point.

Age is also a factor. Saturn is just 16-years old, and we've all witnessed the awkward younger sister mature into an enticing young woman before. Just look at how far Cadillac has come. Five years ago, the brand’s claim to fame was building cushy land-yachts aimed at the blue-haired crowd. Like Cadillac, Saturn’s image is still very much salvageable. For years, the only thing lacking has been product with genuine widespread appeal. With a revamped lineup waxed and ready to be unveiled, the equation may soon be complete.

After a decade on life support, the planets have finally aligned in Saturn’s favor. With fresh designs, spirited performance, and production costs rivaling GMC, the brand on the brink of extinction may soon become the center of GM’s universe.

----------

Louis Buccheri

[email protected]

Edited by Bimmer325

*clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap*

Didn't realize they were revealing a pre-production next gen Vue, and the Sky RL. I just thought it'd be the production Aura & Outlook. Making me look forward to it that much more (even if we have already seen the Sky RL with a lightning bolt on it). :D

Edited by PurdueGuy

Nice article! Saturn is quickly becoming a favorite brand of mine and I know I am not the only one. I just hope GM does not mess it up by production. I think Saturn will outsell all but Chevy within two years.

Great article. Thanks. Of all the divisions, Saturn is the one that could get magazines like cr to recommend GM products.

Hopefully they won't be changing the suspensions of the Opels to be "American". Otherwise they can kiss top the top selling #'s away.

With all the new products coming, it appears that some of the Saturn dealers are starting to charge a "market adjustment" on the Sky...eerily reminiscent of some of the Pontiac dealers who inflated the MSRP on GTOs and Solstices...

I sure hope this is an isolated incident.

Autoblog article

Full URL: http://www.autoblog.com/2006/03/19/sky-hig...f-new-roadster/

it's not totally isolated. The Saturn pricing policy doesn't prevent them from doing it, either. It's a "no haggle" policy, not a "the dealer has to charge MSRP" policy. Still, it feels like an abomination of Saturn culture... Some dealers are being good & not jacking up the prices, though.

[001. AURA]

I just hope the aging Epsilon architecture doesn't bring the Aura down.

And hopefully GM has PLENTY of room to up production :D

[003. VUE]

This one really took me by surprise... I had no idea that a new Theta was ready and it seems really weird that Saturn is introducing a new Vue right after it introduced a re-engineered Vue and 2 months after it introduced the first Vue hybrid.

But I'm all for it. Hopefully this is the same kind of transition we can see with other vehicles, such as the NG Malibu.

[004. SKY RED LINE] If you think the Sky is a complete departure from the Saturn of old, just wait for NY.  In addition to the models we've yet to see, Saturn will reveal the Sky Red Line, a high-performance version of the Kappa-based roadster we've fallen in love with.  Expect upwards of 260 horsepower along with revised exterior styling and a slightly tweaked interior.  The Sky will be the first of the new Saturns to receive Red Line treatment.  Saturn’s Kappa will likely sell at or slightly above list price thanks to the carmaker’s consumer-friendly pricing policy, whereas the Solstice is currently commanding a sizeable premium over its $20,490 MSRP.  Depending on the dealer, the feature-laden Sky just might turn out to be the better deal.

I certainly hope it doesn't steal the Solsti's thunder... And I certainly hope the Sky Redline isn't IDENTICAL to the Solstice GXP. IF not for the excitement of the Solstice and the G6 being a solid seller, Pontiac would be D.O.A. right now.

I think they're different enough and appeal to differing audiences enough that they won't cannabalize each other. Of course, I'm sure that won't stop the media from comparing them to each other and cross shopping them on purpose so that they can try and limit the buyer base and finish Pontiac off.

Why Saturn Has What it Takes

Saturn's lineup will double in just over a year.  The "new" Saturn will emerge a completely revitalized brand with all-new models and an all-new lease on life.  But Saturn's journey upmarket won't take place overnight.  As of this year, its dwindling lineup was down to just three models, two of which are held among GM’s weakest product.  Throw in Saturn's history of producing cars with lackluster performance and lifeless design and the task grows even further.

Funny, how 2 years ago everyone thought that Saturn was the redundant dead duck and now, short of Cadillac or maybe even surpassing Cadillac they are GM's hottest division... I wish GM would do this with ALL of their divisions.

After a decade on life support, the planets have finally aligned in Saturn’s favor.  With fresh designs, spirited performance, and production costs rivaling GMC, the brand on the brink of extinction may soon become the center of GM’s universe.

What GM is doing/has done with Saturn is a stroke of pure genious and is MUCH overdue.

UV8 is not happening anymore, it'll be an updated Northstar instead.

Excellent article! I didn't realize all these debuts would be happening at NY, it's a great high profile way to revive a simple brand. This brand won't be so simple and free of excitement anymore. I am anxious to read the first reviews of the Aura and Outlook. That's a stunning photo up above, Aura is easily the best looking family non-luxury sedan out there.

it's been confirmed here multiple times by insiders that the next gen DOHC V8 engines would be arriving in the Lambdas. First it was the UV8, until ah-ha confirmed that was cancelled, now the next gen Northstar appears headed for the trucks.

it's been confirmed here multiple times by insiders that the next gen DOHC V8 engines would be arriving in the Lambdas. First it was the UV8, until ah-ha confirmed that was cancelled, now the next gen Northstar appears headed for the trucks.

The V8 news is disturbing - I had heard the UV8 was delayed or cancelled. I have gone to Ah-HA website and it is gone. Does anyone know what happened?

This might sound dumb...

But what exactly IS the UV8? I don't even think I've heard of it before this thread.

QUOTE(turbo200 @ Mar 20 2006, 02:57 PM)

the next gen Northstar

Still dubbed UV8.

Nuff said. Edited by 91z4me

When does the ding dang Aura hit the showrooms, getting tired of waiting!!!!  Got a Saab 9-5 that comes off lease this year and I am trying to push my wife towards Aura as she does not like the 9-5 redesign.

It's supposed to be sometime in the summer. Probably late summer. I'm guessing we'll know more when it debuts at NY.

When does the ding dang Aura hit the showrooms, getting tired of waiting!!!!  Got a Saab 9-5 that comes off lease this year and I am trying to push my wife towards Aura as she does not like the 9-5 redesign.

We will find out in a few weeks when the Aura will go on sale. While I like the Aura better than the Malibu and G6 - I would get the Saab 9-3 over the Aura. It to is Epsilon based - but has a much better interior than any of the other offerings. Even the Aura has too many Malibu/G6 pieces that make me worry it won't be as good as it needs to be.

The 9-3 SportCombi is a nice ride with a great engine. I have seen a few driving around San Antonio and think it is a nice looking SAAB.

We will find out in a few weeks when the Aura will go on sale.  While I like the Aura better than the Malibu and G6 - I would get the Saab 9-3 over the Aura.  It to is Epsilon based - but has a much better interior than any of the other offerings.  Even the Aura has too many Malibu/G6 pieces that make me worry it won't be as good as it needs to be.

The 9-3 SportCombi is a nice ride with a great engine.  I have seen a few driving around San Antonio and think it is a nice looking SAAB.

Since we haven't seen the production Aura's interior I don't think you can make that judgement.

The V8 news is disturbing - I had heard the UV8 was delayed or cancelled.  I have gone to Ah-HA website and it is gone.  Does anyone know what happened?

Don't know. The site has been down for quite some time. I don't know what he/she does for a living, but maybe there was a conflict of interest btween his/her job and the blog. This is just my guess, though...

Since we haven't seen the production Aura's interior I don't think you can make that judgement.

right, and from what we can see of the Aura concept's interior, all its controls seem to be parts bin, but they are of the high quality variety from GM. The radio is the newest radio a la Impala, Lucerne, HHR, etc. That's not a bad piece. I just hope they keep the color and that the panels are all of a soft touch, substantial feel. The Aura from what we can see of it, is a pretty nice car. I would take it over the 9-3 for the added interior space [increased wheelbase, reat seat room]. 9-3 design is right up there with the Aura, but I like the Aura's aggressive feel overall. 9-3 sportcombi is a great looking car, this is certain.

I love the new image of Saturn!

I hope GM does something similar to Buick soon- but not enough to offend loyal customers.

So, think anyone else will make plastic cars? If DaimlerChrysler brings smart over, then I guess that's a start.

If GM is admitting that they're trying to save Saturn, so be it. But, don't leave Buick or Pontiac on the market. Cancel out all plans for the automaker and phase out these divisions and focus on what they've got left. Safe money and prevent bankruptcy.

If GM is admitting that they're trying to save Saturn, so be it. But, don't leave Buick or Pontiac on the market. Cancel out all plans for the automaker and phase out these divisions and focus on what they've got left. Safe money and prevent bankruptcy.

Care to explain how that would save money? ~750k less sales=more money, how? GM's costs mostly all fixed. Downsizing and shedding brands means less money, not more.

Posted ImagePress Release:

--------------------

BOLD NEW SATURN VEHICLES DEBUT AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

NEW YORK – General Motors will unveil a dramatically revitalized Saturn lineup with production versions of the all-new 2007 Saturn Aura midsize sedan, Saturn Sky Red Line performance roadster and Saturn Outlook crossover vehicle at the 2006 New York International Auto Show.

“Saturn’s new products demonstrate GM’s commitment to raising the bar on product execution as part of our North American turnaround plan,” said Mark LaNeve, GM North America vice president, Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. “Saturn’s dramatic new cars and crossovers, combined with an industry-leading positive retail experience, are a winning combination.”

The Saturn vehicles making their world debut in New York include:

• The Saturn Aura, which goes on sale this summer, brings the new design of Saturn into a fun-to-drive sport sedan, with bold exterior styling and high levels of interior refinement.

• The Saturn Sky Red Line, arriving at Saturn retailers this fall, adds extra power and performance to Saturn’s new signature roadster with a 260-horsepower 2.0L direct-injection turbo.

• The Saturn Outlook is an eight-passenger crossover vehicle that strikes an ideal balance of style, size and capability. Outlook, which goes into production later this year, is built on GM’s new crossover vehicle platform.

• A Saturn concept vehicle that will provide an indication of how the brand’s new design cues will continue on future vehicles.
Continue Reading

Time seems to crawling. Either the NY show is usualy not interesting. Or the gap between Chicago and New York is longer this year.

The NYIAS always happens during Easter. Since Easter is later this year (mid-April instead of at the end of March), the show is being held a little later than what we're use to. With Chicago in February, two months is a long time to wait! I know I can't wait - one of the benefits of being a teacher in my district is that we're off the week after Easter, so I can go any day I want that week (however, I don't wait long as I usually go on Monday!).

• 2 months later...

Great article Bimmer325! I should look at these more often-I'm very excited for Saturn's future-the Aura looks by far and large like the best GM mid-size sedan yet-of course, given its relatives are Chevy Malibu and Pontiac G6 (and Saab 9-3), it wouldn't be very hard to do it even slightly better than those lackluster vehicles, right? But they did better, and I bet Aura will do very well-superb pricing, good engine selection-it isn't perfect-it has a dated base engine, I/most of us haven't seen the interiors in person, that Navy Blue needs to go, and the trunk space is less than even the long-forgotten L-Series (but still commendable at 15.7, but down from a class leading 17.5 cubic feet), but still-as that Taco Bell guy would say, It's Good to Go! And I can't wait to see the Outlook on the road!

Great article Bimmer325! I should look at these more often-I'm very excited for Saturn's future-the Aura looks by far and large like the best GM mid-size sedan yet-of course, given its relatives are Chevy Malibu and Pontiac G6 (and Saab 9-3), it wouldn't be very hard to do it even slightly better than those lackluster vehicles, right? But they did better, and I bet Aura will do very well-superb pricing, good engine selection-it isn't perfect-it has a dated base engine, I/most of us haven't seen the interiors in person, that Navy Blue needs to go, and the trunk space is less than even the long-forgotten L-Series (but still commendable at 15.7, but down from a class leading 17.5 cubic feet), but still-as that Taco Bell guy would say, It's Good to Go! And I can't wait to see the Outlook on the road!

I'll have a new article up early this week. Stay tuned!

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings