Chevrolet Colorado Show Truck Revealed

Chevrolet Colorado Show Truck Revealed

William Maley - Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

March 21, 2011

gallery_10485_145_2558506.png

Chevrolet Colorado Show Truck Gallery

GM has pulled the covers off the Chevrolet Colorado Show Truck before making its official debut at the 32nd Bangkok International Motor Show starting March 25th.

The Colorado show truck's design carries traits seen on other Chevrolet models like the Equinox. The front end features a two-tier grille with wraparound headlights, LED running lamps, and a extractor vent on the hood. An aerodynamic "cab collar" design ties the cab and bed together. The bed has a hard tonneau cover, helping improve fuel economy and security. 20-inch aluminum wheels and Cooper 285/50R20 Zeon LTZ all-terrain tires finish off the exterior.

Inside, the Colorado show truck uses a twin cockpit design. The dash and instrument panel flow into the doors and a set of motorcycle-inspired, three-dimensional gauges give out a sporty appearance. Leather seats, dark wood trim with chrome highlights, and soft touch surfaces help give the Colorado a more upscale feel. Also, a number of storage compartments are throughout the truck to keep items secure. Other features in the truck include a dual-zone climate control system and a 7-inch LCD screen for audio, navigation, hands-free phone and web access.

The Colorado show truck rides on a body-on-frame platform. The engine is a 2.8-liter diesel going through an AWD system. No specs on the horsepower or torque of the diesel engine at this time.

Rumor has it that GM will be building a version of the new Colorado for the US and Canada that meets emissions and regulations within a couple years. When asked about this, Chevrolet spokesman Mike Albano said,

"We are not naming any specific markets outside of Thailand at this time, but we can say that this truck will be sold in several global markets. It will be the first truly global truck offering by GM. I can say, aside from Thailand we have plans to sell the truck in other key [southeast Asian] markets like Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines."

Source: PickupTrucks.com

Related: GM Teases Us With The New Chevrolet Colorado

Related: GM comes to its senses: US to get NG Canyon, Colorado

Press Release is below

Chevrolet Unveils Colorado Show Truck

Boldly styled show truck previews next-generation midsize pickup

2011-03-21

BANGKOK, Thailand - Chevrolet today revealed the Colorado Show Truck in advance of the Bangkok International Auto Show, where it is making its global public debut. The concept previews the next-generation Colorado midsize pickup truck, which will build on Chevrolet’s strong truck DNA and award-winning heritage. The Colorado goes on sale in Thailand later this year.

“Thailand is the world’s-largest market for midsize pickups, so this was the perfect location in which to unveil our new Colorado,” said Susan Docherty, vice president, GMIO Sales, Marketing and Aftersales. “Trucks have been part of Chevrolet’s core for nearly all of its 100-year history. The Colorado reinforces that heritage with expressive design, refinement and uncompromising capability.”

The show truck features an extended-cab body atop a high-stance AWD chassis and rides on large, 20-inch wheels and off-road tires. Power comes from an efficient 2.8L turbo-diesel engine, which produces a broad torque band for excellent cargo and towing capability.

“Although this is a show vehicle, the basic proportions and form convey the vision for the next-generation Colorado that we will bring to market,” said Brad Merkel, GM's global vehicle line executive. “It reflects a stylized version of the new truck, one that takes into account rugged dependable truck capabilities for commercial use as well as sophisticated refinement for personal-use needs.”

While the new Colorado was developed within GM’s global product development organization, engineers took careful steps to ensure it would meet local market needs. Roberto Rempel, GM's global vehicle chief engineer, lived in Thailand for several months during the truck’s development, immersing himself in the market and observing how the Thai people use their trucks and the road conditions they experience.

“Pickups are instrumental in the vibrant Thai economy and owners take great pride in their trucks, which are used for both work and personal driving,” he said. “These customers ask a lot of their trucks, so the powertrains and chassis must be very robust to earn their trust – and that’s exactly what we’ve delivered.”

Design details

The Colorado show truck’s purposeful design conveys strength through bodywork that appears tightly wrapped over the chassis and a wide, confident stance. In the front, Chevrolet’s internationally recognized gold bowtie and dual-port grille are framed by large headlamps that flow into the front fenders, and an extractor vent on the hood.

“Around the globe, pickup trucks are associated with strength, capability and function – and that’s exactly what the Colorado show truck embodies,” said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of Global Design. “Its broad-shouldered proportions are derived from nearly a century of Chevrolet truck heritage.”

Pepperdust Metallic exterior paint is accented with polished aluminum details in the fascias, as well as integrated side steps and black-masked projector-style headlamps with LED lighting elements. At the rear is a full-width LED-lit taillamp, which creates a striking appearance when illuminated.

Additional exterior details include:

* A streamlined “cab collar” design with a body-color hard tonneau cover on the bed

* Gray accents on the side, front and rear lower moldings

* 20-inch aluminum wheels featuring a “liquid metal” finish, with Stone Gray color wheel ports

* Cooper 285/50R20 ZEON LTZ tires

* Outside mirrors with LED turn-signal indicators.

Inside, there’s another signature Chevrolet cue: a dual-cockpit instrument panel design. It flows into the doors, with continuous lines that create a floating, wraparound effect, amplifying the Colorado’s feeling of spaciousness. Ice-blue lighting and high-quality, “double-faced” leather-trimmed seats add sophistication and refinement.

“The interior is designed to deliver a premium and inviting environment, with a greater feeling of spaciousness than is typically found in midsize trucks,” said Welburn. “There’s also great attention to detail in the execution of the features you see and feel.”

A brace of motorcycle-inspired, three-dimensional gauges stand out on the instrument panel, projecting a sporty appearance.

Contrasting trim used with the light-colored leather seating, dark wood trim accented with chrome and low-gloss and soft-touch materials are used throughout for a premium feel. A number of storage compartments are located throughout the interior, including a covered center bin for concealment of valuable items, and a large, dual glovebox.

Additional features include a dual-zone, digital climate control system and the latest in “infotainment” technology. The show truck highlights an ergonomically positioned 7-inch LCD display in the center stack, for easy viewing and intuitive control of Web access, navigation, music and hands-free phone features.

i hope the bedcover is lost in production version... looks like they borrowed some design cues from the ute, anyone else getting that vibe from the profile?

The bedcover w/ Avalanche-y hoop is just showcar glitz, I assume..that reminds me of the recent Malooo ute.

I hope the bedcover is lost in production version... looks like they borrowed some design cues from the ute, anyone else getting that vibe from the profile?

I kind of see what you're saying..

Can we please stop putting portholes on EVERYTHING?!

We need to use up the stockpile of portholes we have

I like it!

I just hope they add some color more more trim to the interior.

The first look I get the vibe of the of the Zeta based GMC Denali XT from a few years back. It looks to have shared some of the look but with a Body on Frame construction.

Because they use portholes on everything is why I could care less if Buick has them anymore. Maserati and Buick are the only two that should have them.

No matter what the styling is a major step up from the present Colorado. No matter how hard I tried I could not bring myself to spend the money on the old truck even in loaded 4x4 form.

This could be my next vehicle if the quality is as good as I expect. No more cheap interiors please.

Edited by hyperv6

gallery_10485_145_119836.png

Now that's how you trim out a tailgate. Let's hope the large bowtie emblem remains in the middle for the production version, and that the GMC version for NA uses a large "GMC" emblem in the middle of its tailgate.

As for the comparison to the 2008 GMC Denali XT Concept, I too can see it:

gmc-denali-xt-hybrid-concept-01.jpg

gallery_10485_145_4208259.png

Maybe the GMC version will utilize the Denali XT's styling?

Would be interesting to see a chopped Denali XT front end on the Chevy Colorado ;)

gallery_10485_145_119836.png

Now that's how you trim out a tailgate. Let's hope the large bowtie emblem remains in the middle for the production version, and that the GMC version for NA uses a large "GMC" emblem in the middle of its tailgate.

As for the comparison to the 2008 GMC Denali XT Concept, I too can see it:

gmc-denali-xt-hybrid-concept-01.jpg

gallery_10485_145_4208259.png

Maybe the GMC version will utilize the Denali XT's styling?

Would be interesting to see a chopped Denali XT front end on the Chevy Colorado ;)

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that sees alot of the Denali XT in this. The rear side window are very similar. The hood vent is not a leftover Caddy but a carry over of the Denali XT. The Headlights are toned down but have similar sweeping shape. Even the hood line is similar. Fender flairs have a similar theme.

As I have said before GM seldoms waste good styling features and often they find there way in to production many times.

I too suspect the grill on the Denali XT may give us a glimps of the future GMC? Could they change the body cut on the side to be more like the Denali XT to make it different than the Chevy?

The Asian trucks copy American styling and then people claim the Americans copy the Asian styling. Is there really much differance anymore?

One thing for sure with no Ranger in the way this truck should do well if they don't over price it.

Edited by hyperv6

I must look at this with the same eye as the '93 chartreuse and purple S-10 preview of the 1994 redesign. Some of the bling will not make it to production. It has a weird rear bumper that reminds me of the '94-'97 S-10, and a front end that is car-like.

Overall, this show truck blows the GMT355 out of the water. It will be interesting to see how much the production version is toned down. Love the overall shape, and the interior is very nice. Wish it had a more truck-like front end, and the rear bumper appears barely functional. I have to remember, also, that most pickup trucks sold outside of North America come with no rear bumper atall, so any NA version must have a fully functional rear step bumper.

Interesting they'd pretty it up so much for Thai audiences. It seems to me to be a giant clue it will come to America, where we obsess on pickup trucks as pleasure vehicles as much as workhorses.

It must have a modern drivetrain with 6-speed transmissions. I'd love to see the diesel land here if and when it arrives stateside.

I love it. I don't understand the flying buttresses though...seems like they'd hamper rear visibility a bit. Also, I would have loved for GM to add a midgate-type of feature to their compact line. Maybe that's coming as a NA variant? Regardless, A+. This is a truck that looks gorgeous outside AND inside.

I love it. I don't understand the flying buttresses though...seems like they'd hamper rear visibility a bit. Also, I would have loved for GM to add a midgate-type of feature to their compact line. Maybe that's coming as a NA variant? Regardless, A+. This is a truck that looks gorgeous outside AND inside.

The cover is for aero and the buttress may also contribute? Either way I see that as a optional item if it is offered at all.

I expect this truck less tail lights and a few trim items to be 90% of the final truck. We have seen the patten drawings and they are pretty much what you see here.

Either way job well done. I expect the American one to be even more trimed out.

better than i would have expected, and slightly unfinished. but certainly nice. the front end needs to be toned up and butched. A little too soft. Front end needs to be bolder, like a SUZUKI EQUATOR.

The top of the bed looks a tish low proportionately.

Really not bad. By the time it arrives it may be dated though. Nice job, if it holds up and makes it to market.

Really diggin the interior theme too. Looks both Asian and Chevy at the same time.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Over all in reviewing the pictures again, I still love the truck, but it is clear for us big tall guys, 6'6" tall, no one can use those jumper seats behind the normal seats. Still tight on room in my opinion. But interior is way nicer than my dads canyon.

Over all in reviewing the pictures again, I still love the truck, but it is clear for us big tall guys, 6'6" tall, no one can use those jumper seats behind the normal seats. Still tight on room in my opinion. But interior is way nicer than my dads canyon.

I don't think anyone under the age of 12 can use those jumper seats, even in the current trucks (Canyon & Colorado) :lol: It looks more like a bench seat now, still uncomfortable:

Current:

col_extcab_inter.jpg

Show Truck:

chevrolet_colorado_int_ns_32111_815.thumbnail.jpg

I think people buy the extended cab for the interior storage vs. people carrying needs, unless it's for children or very short trips for adults. My step-son was 7-10 years old when I had my '01 Sonoma Extended Cab and he was only comfortable in the single rear jump seat for about a year, maybe year & a half. Of course he could stretch his legs oout due to the single rear jump seat, but he had to sit sideways and was scrunched between the rear cab wall/glass window and the passenger seat:

812086_Chevrolet_S10_Pickup_Extended_Cab_LS_1998_Free_Car_Classifieds_BuyCarandSellCar_com_xrgl9147XR.jpg

The extended cab in the small trucks is for only storage and a quick short ride like a back seat in a 911. They offer the 4 door cab if you really need to haul normal people. I only put people I hate in the back with my old extended cabs. We should see a crew cab soon enough for those who need real long term human space.

The dog loved my Somoma space. It was her domain.

As for the interior an old Studebaker covered wagon had a better interior vs the old Colorado.

Remember the patent drawings from a while back? There's your production version, at least for outside NA. Perhaps ours will be the same as this show truck, though personally I'd hope for more Silverado and less Equinox in the front end. The wheels had better make it to production.

Per the drawings, new photo's and prototypes running around. this is what I think we can expect.

The cab looks are pretty much what we see here for the most. A few trim items my change but it will keep a Nox style nose. Also a standard cab and crew cab will be offered.

The bed may not have the cover and fastback on it unless offered as an option in some markets. Also the outside tie downs I would expect in some low cost markets but not in North America and some others. I expect the bed seen here. I could see cheaper beds or more work oriented and other changes for South America, Middle East and even South Africa markets. Many of these market want stripped down low cost models. These are the ones I would expect a more striped third world look. It is easy to make and install different beds for different needs.

Remember the patent drawings from a while back? There's your production version, at least for outside NA. Perhaps ours will be the same as this show truck, though personally I'd hope for more Silverado and less Equinox in the front end. The wheels had better make it to production.

Per the drawings, new photo's and prototypes running around. this is what I think we can expect.

The cab looks are pretty much what we see here for the most. A few trim items my change but it will keep a Nox style nose. Also a standard cab and crew cab will be offered.

The bed may not have the cover and fastback on it unless offered as an option in some markets. Also the outside tie downs I would expect in some low cost markets but not in North America and some others. I expect the bed seen here. I could see cheaper beds or more work oriented and other changes for South America, Middle East and even South Africa markets. Many of these market want stripped down low cost models. These are the ones I would expect a more striped third world look. It is easy to make and install different beds for different needs.

The nose really needs to go.

Some notes of mine here in regards to the new Chevrolet Colorado...

GM, in a more fuel efficient world, is making sure that the new Colorado lines up with the fuel efficient vehicles in the family, such as the Equinox, Malibu, and Traverse (that is more fuel efficient than the Tahoe, right?). This is why it is not a mini-Silverado, which a lot of other markets in other countries don't like (full-size American trucks) and would likely not purchase. I doubt you're going to see any changes in the frontend design - likely the only thing to change will be a new lower front bumper insert to house round or square foglight openings.

I agree with you, z28luvr01, on the wheels - I hope they make it to production. GM has to come out with better factory wheel designs that are not a $2,000 dealer option. I haven't been too impressed with many of the stock OEM rims on today's GM vehicles, always prefering the pricier trim's rims or the top-of-the-line rims (i.e. the Sierra Denali's chromed 20" multispoke rims). These rims are hot and make the truck.

As with the bed, I do agree with hyperv6 that this bed pictured is for the North American market. It may be optional in other countries, which would get the bed with the external tie-downs standard. I also think GM is covering it up because it has features that will be NA-specific and they're not ready to show it (think back to the recent GMC Sierra All Terrain HD concept - in bed LED lighting, possible bedside storage <a'la Ram Box>, and the composite bed might be possible for lighter weight). These may be features primarily for a North American market that GM isn't ready to show to the rest of the world yet.

So far, I like what I see, though I would rather have the truckier (boxier) GMC version if one will exist (think Equinox vs. Terrain styling). I was excited about the Granite becoming a possibility, and have always wanted a regular cab, shortbed, 4x4 GMC Sierra, but I can see a new GMC Canyon based on this Colorado stealing me away from those other two trucks.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I like the nose as it is, it's not just another pick up trying to look like a mini semi. Some of today trucks are a mess like the F250.

A little chrome like on the full size GMC is ok but too much of anything is not good.

I expect the GMC version to get a little more truck like nose and with the Chevy offering a more car like it will give people a choice and make either happy.

In the past I bought GMC because of the lack of chome as I liked the body colored grill on my Sonmoma over the plastic chome S10.

The wheels are nice and based on the new SUV spy photo's GM looks like they have a new range of wheels coming for most of the new trucks.I learned a long time ago that wheels can really make or break a vehicle. Even on my Comp G GP I have the SPO 5 twisted spoke chrome wheels vs the 10 spoke comp wheels. I have had more compliments on the car and wheels than any other car. Most people say they never liked the new GP but they liked mine and often said the wheels made the difference.

The thing I wish GM will get right is tires and wheels on the regular trucks that don't look 3 sizes too small. With such large wheel wells they need to better size the wells and tires to make them look better. Some of the base trucks look down right cheap because of the smaller tires and wheels.

Edited by hyperv6

I like the nose as it is, it's not just another pick up trying to look like a mini semi. Some of today trucks are a mess like the F250.

A little chrome like on the full size GMC is ok but too much of anything is not good.

I expect the GMC version to get a little more truck like nose and with the Chevy offering a more car like it will give people a choice and make either happy.

I can live with this. Actually, I think if there were a GMC version of this truck dripping in Terrain styling cues, it would totally rock.

Agreed on the F250, big time. That grille is just obnoxious